Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordiogenes
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Are they an authorized service center for Sony, Samsung, etc. Do they perform in-home service for big screens? Does Fry's come out, pick up and bring to the store for service? Contract out with an authorized service center? Thanks
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    HP 5 year PSC warranty..what does it cover?
    What is covered by the Fry's Warranty or PSC?
    Should I go with Factory warranty fix, or use Fry's instant exchange PSC I bought?
    Fry's Extended Warranty Process - 62" DLP HDTV
    What items is it worth to get the Fry's Warranty on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 309
    the fry's techs do not work on tv's.

anything above 32" gets an in-home service where a servicer will come out and take care of it. anything 32" or less, you bring it into the store and they send it out for repair.
    •  
      CommentAuthordiogenes
    Thanks
  2.  permalink
    Also you can come into the story and get a loaner TV while you are waiting for the 3rd party TV repair guy to come. I think they can technically only give you a 26" TV but if you bitch enough you can get up a 46" or so. Just make sure if you get a TV that size that it is in a box with the correct packaging (ie not a display model).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009
    You can get a lot of misinformation here. I'd recommend going into the store and speaking with one of our AV managers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Or McLovin. If he's around, he'll know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sasquatch: You can get a lot of misinformation here. I'd recommend going into the store and speaking with one of our AV managers.

You get an instant replacement. Guaranteed!
    •  
      CommentAuthordiogenes
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    Sasquatch: Or McLovin. If he's around, he'll know.

And how do I find McLovin? Which store...and is that a screen name?
  3.  permalink
    Per the PSC, you are only supposed to get a 32" loaner.. it is possible to get a bigger TV, but that depends on the PIC, AV Manager, Service Manager, etc. A few times I've done loaners way above the specified size. Just depends on how much you complain and how much the person in charge is tired of dealing with you. Keep in mind you need to pick up, drop off, and return this thing, and all during the repair, so it's probably not worth asking for a 72" loaner TV just because.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    Guest: Per the PSC, you are only supposed to get a 32" loaner.. it is possible to get a bigger TV, but that depends on the PIC, AV Manager, Service Manager, etc. A few times I've done loaners way above the specified size. Just depends on how much you complain and how much the person in charge is tired of dealing with you. Keep in mind you need to pick up, drop off, and return this thing, and all during the repair, so it's probably not worth asking for a 72" loaner TV just because.

Size matters.
  4.  permalink
    What is the policy on providing replacmenet TVs when Fry's decides they'd rather replace than pay the 3rd party to fix? Is it that Fry's decides on the most comperable model available , or does the customer get to choose one up to the price they originally paid?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    fries choosesLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    And we'll replace your 32" viore with a 56" led!!! :D! Free! And you can keep it forever!Collateral Damage
  5.  permalink
    Thanks Suzukiman. I remember the sales rep who sold me the warranty telling me that if Fry's can't or chooses not to fix the TV, I get a completely new one at the price I paid at the time. I remember this because he made a point of noting that with the rate technology improves, it means I'd get a way better TV for a replacement if anything ever happened.

I understand it was a tactic to sell the warranty and as long as I get a good replacement I'm happy... I'm just hoping I'm not given the crappy Insignia, Sceptre, or Westinghouse version of my Sammy because it has the closest "sepcs" to what my TV had 2 years ago. All the current Samsungs have better contrast ratio (cooked values IMO), more inputs, and most have the 600Hz sub field motion, all of which weren't really standard or available back then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    that is exactly what they do they match the specks and give you the cheapest one possible citing it is the same. At this point it is a frusterating uphill battle between you and the store which then has to talk with home office to determine weather or not you are a risk and if you are should they actually fix the tv or replace it with the same brand if they determine you are not a risk they will simply say either "take the tv because we said to"Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    A $1500 32" LCD TV 5 years ago, is now only $300.
  6.  permalink
    I am about to go through this whole fiasco, I bought a mitsubishi 1080p about 2 1/2 years ago, and I purchased the extended warranty at the same time (cuz thats how i roll). The sales rep told me the exact same thing "that if Fry's can't or chooses not to fix the TV, I get a completely new one at the price I paid at the time. I remember this because he made a point of noting that with the rate technology improves, it means I'd get a way better TV for a replacement if anything ever happened." ~ Guest

So now my TV has lost a pixel bar, and the left two inches or so are way off tint. Wouldn't recommend Mitsubishi for TV's, but I'll let you all know how this turns out.
  7.  permalink
    Bottom line is that if you decide you do not want the t.v. that they will pick to replace what you have. Such as a newer Mitsubishi they will usually offer you a store credit for the replacement t.v. In other words you purchased a 72" dlp, 3 years ago, it bellies up, they can't fix it and they offer you the latest 72" with all of the new year updat. however what you paid $5000. is now only $2500. you take the new t.v. they give you and return it for the $2500.00 credit and use that to purchase a t.v. of your choice. However what was left of the original PSC will be null and void since it does ot carry over to a t.v. that you decided to get. if you stay with what ever t.v. fry's decides is the replacement t.v. then you will have the psc carry over to it remainder. I.E. you purchased the t.v. in 2007 you have a 5 year warranty, they replace it with a new t.v. you will still have 2 more years left on the warranty. If you say decide to return the t.v. fry's gives you then you do not get the last 2 years of the PSC.

As for this "The sales rep told me the exact same thing "that if Fry's can't or chooses not to fix the TV, I get a completely new one at the price I paid at the time" this is incorrect, Fry;s will not replace by price since the price keeps going down per year for features. a t.v. that cost $5000 in 2007 would only be around $1200 for todays value with the same features. Most of the thime if they replace the t.v. it will have better features then what you got.

Here is an example of one of the t.v. we replaced, I had sold a older gentlemen a 50 720p plasma with no tuner, no speakers, no hdmi, etc. 5 years ago for around $10,000 at the end of his psc fry;s decided that the set was not worth the cost of repairs so they replaced it with a $3500 Samsung 52" lcd with 1080p 120 hz, 3 hdmi, built in tuner, built in speakers. SO in the end he got a better t.v. the what he original purchased even tho it was less then half of what he originally paid.
  8.  permalink
    A lot of misinformation has found its way here.  

Your first step if you have an In-Home PSC is to call the store and request service. They will create a record in the system called an In-Home Service Request as described in your Performance Service Contract:  

Performance Service Contract Terms and Conditions5. To Obtain Service - ...On-site service is available only if specified on original receipt or invoice and within a 40-mile radius of the store, or where there is an authorized service center available in the immediate area.  

6. Service Required Outside Area Of Store Location - If the In-Home Covered Equipment is moved to a location where there is no factory-authorized service center available, the Contract will be canceled and a refund of the Contract will be issued as provided in Paragraph eighteen (18). Or the Buyer may make arrangements to have the In-Home Covered Equipment delivered to a factory-authorized Service Center.

Once you have done that, they will set up an appointment to have a Fry's associate come to your house to verify the problem. The Fry's associate will determine whether it is a lamp issue, an issue that requires a servicer, or not an issue.  

If it is a lamp issue--and is covered under your PSC (some PSCs have unlimited bulb replacement, others have 1 time bulb replacement, some have no bulb replacement), you will be able to pick up the bulb at the store or the bulb will be mailed to you.  

If it is an issue that requires a servicer, an authorized servicer will be assigned and they will take over from there.  

Performance Service Contract Terms and Conditions7. Repair and Replacement - During the term of this Contract, Fry's shall furnish all functional parts and labor necessary to restore the Covered Equpiment to normal operating condition in accordance with manufacturer's specifications. If Fry's, in the sole exercise of its discretion, determines that the Covered Equipment is uneconomical to repair, the Buyer shall be provided with replacement equipment that conforms to the original specifications of the Covered Equipment. If replacement equipment with the same specifications as the Covered Equpiment is not then available, Fry's, in the sole exercise of its discretion, may provide replacement equipment with specifications as similar to the original specifications of the Covered Equipment as is reasonably practical.

Your television will be repaired unless the cost of the repair exceeds the cost of a new television. In which case, Fry's will replace your television with something that performs comparably.  

At any point during the repair (after an In-Home Service Request has been created but before your television has been repaired/replaced), if you qualify, you may get a loaner under your PSC.  

Performance Service Contract Terms and Conditions13. Loaner Equipment - If the Performance Service Contract includes a loaner, and the needed repair is a covered repair under the Performance Service Contract (see exclusions in Paragraph 10)...Fry's shall provide the Buyer with loaner equipment...For Covered televisions, the loaner equipment provided by Fry's will not exceed a 27" television screen. The Buyer is required to take Covered Equipment into one of Fry's Service Departments to process for service, and if covered, present a valid VISA, MasterCard, or Discover credit card, or Fry's card for an imprint to be made in order to post security for return of the loaner equipment...No loaner will be issued to Buyer if Buyer's physical address is outside the state of the Fry's store location.

You will need to come into the store and provide a valid credit card (check and debit cards are not usuable for a loaner). Fry's, after taking an imprint of your card, will then provide you with a loaner television that's not supposed to exceed 27" in size (but often does).  

This is how it works. If you have questions about the process the correct person to ask is the Service Department Manager. The Service Department is the one who will ultimately handle your Service Request, and they will be able to provide you with accurate and complete information on the process. Do NOT ask Audio/Video as they are not involved in the process at all other than selling you merchandise and services.
  9.  permalink
    I am in the same process now. and this is my worst experience with an eletronics store.
    They offer you a smaller size TV and don't let you know the make and any spec.
    Totally fooling customers around.
  10.  permalink
    You want to elaborate on your claims there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5579
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010
    I work in the service department, so I have plenty of first hand experience with this. I've never seen a Sony or one of the top tier brands get replaced with some cheapo brand, and if it does get replaced with something that our techs/sups will agree with the customer is inferior, at least at my store, we will contact home office letting them know the customer does not feel the replacement is up to par and give the specific reasons why, and sometimes what models the customer feels are comparable, and they almost always change it to something that we would deem to be comparable. Sometimes we even catch it before we tell the customer is ready if its blatantly not comparable. When customers get "screwed" with a replacement at my store its because they are demanding something of higher specifications, namely LED's instead of LCD's or Plasmas instead of LCD's, or a higher series in the manufacturers lineup. I've also never seen a different screen size issued, thats just ridiculous. I can't say the process is perfect every time, sometimes its botched and takes 2 months to be completed, sometimes there are issues with the servicers corporate assigns, all the while the customer is using our 32 inch loaner which is kind of lame but we had tons of issues with customers damaging larger TV's and enough was enough. I'm not completely defending the process, I can imagine it would get very frustrating in some claims and some times I even get frustrated about them. But I am saying that we dont, at least at my store, leave the customer in the dirt with an inferior TV as a replacement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010
    Yeah I work in service too and deal with loaners all the time. Salesman will typically say anything to close the sale, and then again, most salesman just don't know what the PSC really covers. They think it covers everything including monsoons, but it really only covers manufacturer defects... nothing more. Still, the customers sign a legally binding contract when they buy the PSC which states all these things. Then they come in and say, "I'M NOT GIVING YOU A CREDIT CARD FOR A LOANER!! I WANT TO SEE A MANAGER!" and the manager comes out and says "How you folks doing? :face-smile: Well, I completely sympathize with you and I'm sorry for your trouble, but putting a credit card down for the loaner is for our protection and part of the terms you agreed to and I can't wave that. But we'll be happy to [insert exactly what the service associate said we would do per the contract before you threw a fit]. At this point the manager listens and nods as the customer lets off steam and then says "I understand your frustration. If you want, I can have one of my customer service associates help you load your TV back in your car" -- or something else that requires no money to do and doesn't break the terms of the contract. And at that point, defeated, the customer leaves the store.  

By the way, if a customer wants to sign up for a Fry's card in order to use a loaner, can they do that right there on the spot? I was wondering about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrys_morman
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010 edited
    Weird, I wasn't logged in when I posted. I would be "Guest 5579"  

As far as the fry's card, they would have to be instantly approved, as you could imagine. And if they did get approved for an amount higher then the value of the TV I don't see any reason anyone could say no...  

EDIT: My lurker co-worker just informed me that it wouldn't work because you have to have a card to imprint, so no go on the frys card idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010
    To see so many varied responses from so many who actually work at Frys.....I would say a more TRUTHFULL answer to the original question would be "I don't know". LOL :face-monkey:
  11.  permalink
    Just wanted to share my experience with Frys PSC TV warranty because there seems to be a lot of bad experiences and i wanted to share some good news to those who are in the process. i bought my Mitsubishi 62 inch LCD projection from frys in 2005 and decided to buy the warranty because the TV was out of box. This was one of the best decisions i have ever made even though 210$ seemed like a lot after spending 1350 on the TV. I had started to get blue splotches on the bottom and top of the screen and the picture just looked washed out. never having to call frys before i was frustrated by how long phones took to be answered but kept trying. i finally got some one in service and told them what was going on with my tv... they told me they would have someone call me back in a few days. a third party called me a few days later and set an appointment up within a week. took the tech 5 minutes to diagnose the problem which was a bad light engine. another week went by and i got a call from the third party saying that frys denied the claim to have it fixed and that frys would be contacting me to tell me what the next step was.I like to know more details about what is going on so i called frys to figure out exactly what the process was... i was told it would take 7-10 days for corporate to send all the paper work to them and when they got it they would give me a call. 10 days later i called and talked to the manager of the service department, she told me that the tv would be ready for pickup that day! I really wasn't expecting this considering all the bad stuff i had read about frys. That night i walked out of there with a 65 in Mitsubishi DLP wd65638. I am very satisfied with the TV and frys did what they were going to do if the TV couldn't be repaired... they replaced it! all in all this process took about a month from my first phone call! if you are in this process just try and be patient! thank you frys! i will buy the warranty again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010
    And thats why we do not offer the 5 year warranty anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010
    ... insert Debby Downer trombone. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010 edited
    Oh you got a new 65" Mitsubishi DLP? That's awesome! It's just sad though that upwards of a dozen Chinese children die every year at the Mitsubishi factory in Hainan, China, where those TV's are made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
    Well what about the Foxconn suicides? Poor china factory workers.  

http://www.szcpost.com/2010/05/foxconn-suicides.html
  12.  permalink
    UPDATE:
    I posted here on April 16th, 2010 about my Mitsubishi LCD going bad and that I was probably going to need to have it replaced under Fry's 5yr PSC. Well, last month the TV officially crapped out :( so I called Fry's. Although their customer service reps who answer these calls are not the brightest bunch, eventually I was directed to their service department. The service department told me they were going to have a 3rd party technician come to my place to look at the TV. 3 days later the 3rd party tech called me on a Thursday and we scheduled the "investigation" for the following Tuesday. On Tuesday the tech came and took one look at the TV and said that this is kind of a common problem but the whole panel would need to be replaced. He took a picture of the issue and contacted Fry's. On Friday, the tech called me and said that Fry's had rejected the claim. I had to call Fry's to find out what the next step was. They informed me that because they had rejected the service claim, they were going to see what options I would have for a replacement TV, and they would call me back in 1-2 weeks. Exactly 1.5 weeks later a Fry's service center associate called me and told me I had 2 options. Option 1 was for a new Mitsubishi LED or Option 2 was for a Samsung LCD. Well it turns out the Mitsubishi LED is about $300 more than what I paid for the original LCD, the Samsung was only about 1/2 the price of the original. So I quickly chose the Mitsubishi (even though I was not to fond of the last model). Last night I went to Fry's to turn in the old TV and pick up the new one. They had the new Mitsubishi pulled and ready to go, but there was a brief "private" discussion between the customer service rep and the service department manager, and from what I overheard, it sounded like they weren't go to follow through with their offer. But eventually the service department manager came over to me and explained that the customer service rep hadn't told her exactly what was going on so they thought I was tying to exchange a loaner for the new TV, she then said no worries, just sign here and the TV's all yours. I read the contract I signed and it didn't say anything about a termination of the PSC or a charge for the difference in price so I signed and was happy. I confirmed with the store manager that my PSC would also carry over to the new TV (2.5 years left on a 5 year PSC). AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

To sum it up:
    It took about a month but,
    Fry's has followed through with their contractual commitment
    I ended up with a new TV that is worth $300 more than the one I purchased 2.5 years ago
    My 5yr PSC will carry over to the new TV (2.5yrs)

I am in no way affiliated with Fry's or any of the products/mfr's it represents. Despite what many people say about extended warranties and PSC's just being a way for companies to make extra $$$, this situation has reaffirmed my stance that on any electronic appliance you can never be too safe and these are good ways to protect your investment (this is now the 4th time an extended warranty has covered my ass, and by far and a way the best experience I've ever had with one). Hopefully this TV will last longer than 2 years, but I definitely recommend Fry's and their PSC options. THANK YOU FRY'S :)
  13.  permalink
    I can also confirm that whatever time is left in the PSC will carry over to the replacement TV.
  14.  permalink
    I have a 52" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP with a bad light engine, quote is $650.00 to repair, does anyone know if Frys will replace or repair, I bought it in 2007 and the PCS warranty is good until 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010
    Guest: I have a 52" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP with a bad light engine, quote is $650.00 to repair, does anyone know if Frys will replace or repair, I bought it in 2007 and the PCS warranty is good until 2012

Sounds like you need to replace the light engine, which is really easy. Your manual should have information on which one to get. Go to Mitsubishi's site and search for replacement parts. When we replaced ours earlier this year, the cost was something like $250. Took MAYBE 5 minutes to switch out the lamps.
  15.  permalink
    totally ignoring everything obiwan just said, you have a warranty so call your local store. you will get a ticket # and a servicer will call you within 3 business days to set an appointment for repairs.
  16.  permalink
    fyi, they will only replace if the part is not available or is not economical.. for a light engine, is usually 50/50.. might get lucky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    So, Guest 44889, are you saying that Fry's PSC covers the replacement of the light engine (which does have a set life span, and must be replaced when it fails) and will not charge for the part or the service?
  17.  permalink
    ObiWan,

The Light Engine and The "Lamp" are two different things a Light engine is one of the main components to a DLP that helps puts the image on the screen and it is different than the lamp itself and it takes alot longer than 5 minutes to replace. Also Fry's used to cover up to 1 Lamp replacement for a while it was part of the contract it was taken out almost 2 years ago when they made the life of the lamps last longer and alot cheaper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    I stand corrected - thanks for clarifying.
  18.  permalink
    i posted earlier, but as the guest above stated, that is correct. but be aware that there are a FEW that do not, however not common. they will say "no lamp" on the warranty line if you still have your receipt.
  19.  permalink
    also adding to that, if you purchased previous to Oct. 2006, you have unlimited lamp replacements. i've seen some people are already on the 3rd lamp, that itself definitely is worth the warranty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010
    Can you replace the lamps with led? You would get better lamp life and it be brighter.
  20.  permalink
    I can confirm the statement made by Guest 55137 on Dec 17, Item_42.
    My 5yr PSC is pre-Oct, 2006, and I have unlimited lamp replacement.

The PSC cost me $500 for my $2500.00 Samsung 56" Pedestal DLP.
    A little steep, but well worth it as it turns out.

To date Fry's has shelled out ~$1700.00 to keep my DLP working.
    The first service was a bulb replacement that cost, $500+.
    Don't know what the 2nd service replaced, but it cost $1000+
    The 3rd & last service was another bulb replacement, but only cost around $250.

With the parts getting cheaper, it is unlikely Fry's will opt to replace my DLP, if it requires additional repairs.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I sure would like to get one of those ultra slim Samsung LEDs.
    It would be nice to get something a little less power hungry.
    My PSC expires in the middle of May 2011, so time will tell.

I also had a Samsung Surround Sound (HT-P1200TH) unit that I bought within a week of the DLP.
    The DVD player stopped recognizing the discs, and Samsung was unable to repair it.

The 5yr PSC cost $99 for the $500 unit.
    Again, a little costly, but well worth it in the end.

Fry's refunded the full purchase price & the 2yr balance of the PSC, in the form of a store credit.
    I really would have preferred to have the unit repaired, because the style fit so well with the Pedestal DLP.
    But that was on Samsung, not Fry's.

It’s a shame Fry’s no longer offers the 5yr PSC any longer, but I understand their motives.
    The odds are much higher that a product will fail w/in 5yrs, than w/in 3yrs.
  21.  permalink
    I am in the process of dealing with fry's over my warranty. i bought a mitsubishi 52" dlp in 2005. i have replaced the lamp once a year since i bought it. i have the 5 year warranty so it has been covered each time. it last went out in october 2010. they sent me the replacement. the tv began acting up sometime in november. it won't power on sometimes. the power light blinks for a couple of minutes and then the lamp indicator light comes on. no screen though. then it turns on a couple minutes later. sometimes it powers on the first time. here is where my troubles with fry's began. i called the service department and told them i thought the lamp they sent me was bad. they said it didn't sound like a bad lamp and that the tv would need to be looked at. i live 230 miles from fry's. when i bought the tv the salesman told me that i would be able to have the tv serviced in my area and not have to bring it in to the store. i now realize that he was full of shit whether he knew it or not. i agreed to bring the tv in as the warranty was ending in december. i took the tv to fry's on december 3rd. 460 miles and a hotel room, food etc. i heard nothing from them for weeks. finally i called fry's about a week ago(january, 12 or 13th). they told me that the tv had been done for over two weeks. why had no one contacted me and let me know this? i got no apology and no answer to that question. needless to say i was a bit peeved. i went to pick up my tv on monday. add another 460 miles, food, and one long ass day. i get my tv home and tuesday night when i turn it on, i get no picture, a blinking power light, and then a lamp failure indicator. the tv was not fixed. now i am a bit more than peeved. i call fry's on wednesday to see what they are going to do for me. we can put you in touch with the third party that worked on it but most likely you will have to bring it back in. WTF? i already spent alot of time and money getting it down there the first time for no apparent reason. and now they want me to pay for another trip down to do the same thing? unacceptable answer. i asked for the service department manager and got the run around from her as well. she said she would see what she could do and never called me back. today i got a call from the first girl i talked to. she said i would have to bring the tv back in. i told her that was not an acceptable answer and that i wanted to speak to the store manager. she did not connect me. i called the main line and asked for the store manager and got the run around. they took my info and said they would have him call me. i have not heard a word out of him. now i am really pissed off. next call will be to the district manager, and on up the line until someone apologizes and rectifies the situation. i should not have to pay for another trip to phoenix for this problem. by the time i do that i could have bought another tv and saved myself a lot of hassle. this warranty doesn't seem to be worth the paper it was printed on. by the way i spent 2500 dollars on the tv and warranty. i only want what is fair. i din't think it was fair that i had to make the first trip as there is a service center about 45 miles from me. unfortunately they are not recognized by fry's. that is fine and i bit the bullet and took it to phoenix, but the second trip is total bullshit and they need to compensate me in some way. please tell me if i am wrong here.
  22.  permalink
    so here is the update to the last post. i found the phone directory to fry's on another website called consumerist.com. they had a master list of how to reach anyone in the store. it works the same for all fry's stores. you call the main number but change the last two digits to find the right person. well i called the store manager directly since he had not returned my call, and he picked right up. he told me he had not been relayed the message to call me. that is neither here nor there at this point. what he did do to my surprise is take my side on this situation. he agreed to have a van come to my home 230 miles from their store to pick up my tv and take it back for the repair. he agreed to have it returned to me when it was finished. he said he would have to have this approved through corporate and i said that was fine. he also told me if he could not send a van that he would be willing to compensate me(in the form of a store credit) for my money spent and time and effort if i had to drive it back to the store myself. i told him that was acceptable. he called me back and said he could send the van. i told him that sounds great. he also told me he would personally have the service manager call me to set this up. even better. later on today i got another call from the original girl i spoke to. she informed me that she got an email from the store manager and the service manager that explained what was going to happen. she told me that they are actually in the process of getting approval from corporate to replace the tv with a brand new one. i could not be happier. i never once asked for a new tv. i was happy with them picking up the old one, fixing and returning it to me. a new one will save grace and earn them my respect and they will have a customer for life. i will post again when the situation is handled and let you know how it turned out. all it takes is doing what is right for the customer to begin with.
  23.  permalink
    Next week we'll work on paragraph structure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    wall of text
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!
  24.  permalink
    My experience has been good so far, but I am in the midst of a new development. I have a 73" Mitsubishi DLP, bought in 12/2006 with a 5 yr warranty. Two previous service calls went well, both for bulb replacement, and completed within a week. Typical process of filing a claim with Fry's, then a call from a service tech, then an in-house diagnostic, then final repair.

My current problem has been challenging to say the least. I started getting significant pixelation and contacted Fry's to file a claim on 2/23. After 5 days of not hearing from anyone to set an appt for a diagnostic I contacted Fry's again, but was told to wait another 5 days. 5 days later I contacted Fry's and was told the service company already ordered a part, without diagnostic, as they were fairly certain which part needed replaced. Two weeks later, on 3/15, I contacted Fry's again to get a status and was told my part was on back order until 4/18. Yes, I would need to wait another month for a back ordered part. I contacted Fry's again on 4/18 and was told the part was not in yet.

I am aware of products being on continuous back order, and who knows if the part will ever be delivered. Does the warranty state a time frame to repair or replace? Or, does the warranty state the procedure when a part can not be located or provided to repair a TV?