Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    o-o;
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    Ask me anything you want about the Loss Prevention Department.
    The REAL way to make your service department succeed
    Rumors about Customer Service department commission in district 3
    Service Department "PAY SUCKS"
    Fry's San Diego Service Department Sucks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010
    Why is it that Fry's "service" department takes months to "fix" something (like computer related problems) and when you get it back, the computer is in worse shape than when you left it?
  3.  permalink
    A lot of it has to do with home office when we send stuff out. Some of it has to do with how inefficient the service department is ran. But that part has to do with the ground rules home office has setup. So in conclusion, its all because of home office.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    Home office put restrictions on how you do your job making your job more difficult and inefficient.  

How most claims go to corporate vs being resolved immediately in store.
  4.  permalink
    It's a complicated question. There are a lot of Home Office policies that require a lot of tedious paperwork and processing to get anything done. The check-in is an obvious clue-in to that, as the check-in sheet alone is 2-pages long worth of 2 signatures, 3 questions to answer, and like 5 or 6 places to inital. Not to mention accessories checked-in, loaners given out, etc. All of that requires extra paperwork. And that's just check-in. It's not uncommon for a unit to involve a 50 page file once completed--even for a simple issue.  

There are also a lot of processing that needs to happen at the home office level, or at the manager level in the store, which takes a lot of bitching by the techs to get done.  

Next, there's the sheer amount of time needed just to talk with customers. I can personally handle a check-in in 5-20 minutes depending on the complexity/the line/availability of supervisors. Some people have dragged this out to an hour for ONE customer.  

So that answers time.  

As far as quality, that's a multifaceted question. A lot of times that may be a customer's inexperience with computers or poor communication between the customer/tech. Sometimes the unit may have been rushed through the process and something may have been overlooked (an extra test, or an unplugged front panel audio). And sometimes, you get the occasional bad tech.  

A lot of the issues today can be fixed with different policies, newer and faster technology, more resources at the tech's disposal, and loads more training (especially geared at solving problems homogenously).  

But keep this in mind too: my store gets anywhere between 5-20 units checked in per day. It adds up, and it certainly means that if you don't finish 5-20 units per day as a department that eventually you will have 100+ units, 200+ units, etc. It does add up and adds a certain amount of pressure to complete units in high volume, and that almost certainly affects things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    So, in other words, between the bass-ackwards policies of Fry's home office, and the incompetence and inability of Fry's "tech's" to communicate with the average person at the local level, the average consumer would be better off to purchase their computers elsewhere where they have adequately trained staff that can actually help the person, rather than leave them loathing the day they bought their computer from Fry's and paid for the PSC that's of almost no benefit to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Ive seen this many times. Its where people who think they know everything (corporate) tells computer technicians (experts) how to do their jobs.
  5.  permalink
    I wouldn't say it's almost of no benefit to them. I would say that at least 95% of the time we meet the customer's repair needs, it just takes longer than most customers are willing to wait--which is the great appeal of the loaner.  

The PSC is probably one of the best warranties you can buy if you keep back-ups of your files on an external, and you're okay with being in the dark about the status. Because one day your computer fails, you bring it to Fry's, you get a loaner computer (which is much better than what you purchased), and then you wait 1-2 months and then you get your PC back. You have a computer the whole time, and you have all of your files. It works.  

But you're very right, however, ObiWan. Fry's has a lot of policies in place and a lack of training that makes it hard to make great customer service happen.  

The PSC is also very unfriendly to people who are mostly ignorant about computers.
  6.  permalink
    SERVICE ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE A MESS.
  7.  permalink
    To be fair to Service, having seen how the POS system is programmed and how the FRY's stores are networked together, there are bigger messes. =\
  8.  permalink
    Speaking of the POS networking. I find it highly inefficient that I cannot edit a document, then go to another computer and open that document. Why cant we have a networked HDD that is not at risk of being reformatted by home office; losing literally months/years of work.
  9.  permalink
    EVERY DAY SERVICE HAS A LONG LINE OF PEOPLE, IT SEEMS TO NEVER STOP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlayer X
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Service does always seem to be the biggest opportunity in the store. But you must understand, Service is only their to fix peoples problems! If someone didn't already have a problem, then they wouldn't be going to the service department in the first place. People who come to the service department are already stressed, disappointed, or downright pissed off at their electronics.  

What some don't understand, is that for the 10 or 12 a week that complain throughout the whole company, their are another 1000 or so that do not have opportunities once they get their computers back. The sad part about it is, it is only natural for the voices of the people who didn't get what they want to be louder then all the others who did get what they want put together.
  10.  permalink
    PLAYER X SPEAKS THE TRUTH ON THIS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    Service should always deliver the best customer service of any department. Always give out loaners always. and give out loaners which exceed the processing power of their piece of shit. No body likes downtime.
  11.  permalink
    Guest: Huh? What are you talking about?  

Documents saved by someone usually stay on *that* computer, so it would make sense to edit it on the computer that it exists on. If you can access the document from another computer, you might be taking advantage of a network share between the host computer and the computer you're using.  

Your IS Tech at your store is responsible for the local configuration of the computers and networking between computers at the store level. Talk to them about your difficulties and ask him if he has a back-up plan or what he can do for you if your hard drive crashes and you really need the data on it. I'm sure he'll be glad to tell you.  

And as far as a networked drive, it's just added expense. It's not really necessary. Not if the IS Tech can do his job.  

Player X: Absolutely true. We get positive Direct Connects, and we generate enough goodwill to have repeat customers!  

asdf: Service tries very hard at customer service. It is a necessity, since people come in feeling extremely unhappy and inconvenienced. The associates in returns need the exact same skill sets to take care of the customer. As far as the loaner is concerned, it is offered under the service contract, and we don't refuse customers who ask for it AND qualify. But when we give out computers as loaners, that's just money out of our pocket, because we take an item from stock and give it to a customer, and when it comes back (since it's been gone so long), it's not in the same condition and it takes a huge price hit, as well as (while it's being 'loaned') being one less computer we can sell to a customer. It's losing money for the company. But like I said, we don't refuse customers who ask for it and qualify. And we might not need to give a loaner out to satisfy a customer. Every situation is unique and we use common sense to take care of every customer.  

Not to mention, most loaners we give out *do* exceed the processing power of the customer's computer. It's actually less common for us to give out a loaner that's less powerful, and that's because computers are getting better, so that even if the customer spent $1000 on a computer then, a $500 computer today is likely to be more powerful.
  12.  permalink
    Not really about service, more of an IS question, but why is the Fry's POS (and network infastructure in general) so archaic? Is the entire system developed in-house purely to cut licensing costs? Is it really more cost efficient to have an ISD team rebuild the POS every week rather than license a third party solution?  
    I'd have to agree with guest about the network share issue. There's a handful of files that I access every week that sit on one computer. If this one machine goes down, I can't access them. I'd have no problem keeping them on a flash drive, but as far as I can tell there's no way to mount one (understandable).
  13.  permalink
    Well, that's a lot of questions.  

As far as the networking structure is concerned, there are some bottlenecks that occur as part of the design. Home office designed the network architecture primarily to maintain as much control over the IS systems at home office level as possible. The POS program for example, is not located locally on the store computers, and therefore has to be downloaded from Home Office. So that creates issues. I'm also not sure how they handle database load issues.  

As far as the workstations themselves, like I mentioned earlier, many of the programs are not located locally on the store computers, so many of the programs have to be downloaded on the fly, which is why the computer stays so long at "applying updates" stage. And some of what the Fry's launcher does affects the OS in unique ways. The biggest drain on the computers is definitely McAfee though.  

As far as the POS is concerned, it's a DOS-based program. It actually requires than an emulator be loaded. But, in and of itself, it actually seems to work pretty well. Any issues would be only networking issues, and it looks cool enough. I mean, I'd rather it look the way it does than some blocky thing with big gray "OK" and "CANCEL" buttons.  

As far as the network share is concerned. Home office employs something similar to that. They have a button that maps a network drive on their launcher.  
    But if you wanted a network share or something like that, you'd have to talk with the IS tech and the SM/ASM, and see what could be done. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly sure it breaks network policy at store level. It might not though.
  14.  permalink
    The Fry's app launcher loads an emulator for POS? How old is the POS code?
  15.  permalink
    At one point in time there was networked hard drives. I know IS had one as well as one for the tkc server. They took then away when they changed the systems over to the new application lancher. They are no longer there for the same reason you can't use a flash drive. They want control of what goes on the computers to provents some Jackass from loading something on to the network that would bring it down. They are currenty storing files for IS off a FTP server. If you want your data backed up have your IS guy pull your hard drive.
  16.  permalink
    Back with Novell, there were networked drives, yeah. There can still be networked drives but only as Windows network shares.  

And the IS files are stored on samba servers. Not FTP.  

"They want control of what goes on the computers to provents some Jackass from loading something on to the network that would bring it down." Also to help prevent internal documents from leaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010
    The funny part of the whole network drive thing is that the database files are queried on the local machine and not from the server.  

The most efficient way is to do a database search from the server, and the server returns only relevant data.  

The way its done now it would be like having to download the entire database of Google to your computer every time you do a Google search.
  17.  permalink
    i must agree with some of the comments earlier. the paperwork at frys is the biggest drain. there is pretty much no way to shorten the loaner process. i understand that one dept has to have the keys to the laptop cage but somedays i have teh customer waiting for like 20 min cause im trying to get a damn loaner. customers who do not listen are the worst. things get lost at service department sometimes. the way to keep accesories is a joke.

on the plus side, at my store (8) the staff consists of hardworking talented techs. each day i seem to learn a new way to tackle a problem, which im sure increases my IT skills. most of the staff is friendly and ready to help you if you ask.

yes, home office has tendency to tie our hands behind our back. probably the worst thing is getting approval on check ins. it totally kills the continuity of things. same deal for loaner approvals. i know it has to be done to prevent scammerism but it really grinds my gears lol.

however, the program we use to check in ppl is ludicrous. it generates error messages every time and lags like hell. it even occasionally closes on itself.

how to explain that to the customer when they have been waiting forever?

also, all of the ppl in my service dept are good at defusing bombs. that is, a customer who bitches a lot or who chronically complains based on some bullshit philosophy he holds towards retail as long as he gets what he wants. the key is to defuse those bombs without getting MIC/DSC help, although it often ends up like that.

why is there only one computer to download drivers? why do we have to share our one limited resouce with the MIC?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    IllusionOfProgress: The Fry's app launcher loads an emulator for POS? How old is the POS code?

1981, the emulator is for the Atari 2600  
    •  
      CommentAuthorbstrickler
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010 edited
    "Because one day your computer fails, you bring it to Fry's, you get a loaner computer (which is much better than what you purchased)"  

That wasn't the case for me, I was given a POS loaner computer when I had to send my laptop in to have them repair my CD-ROM drive, which, by the way, they DIDN'T FIX! I ended up fixing it, by removing it, and SLAMMING it back in, and screwing the retaining screw tight. Never had a problem with the CD-ROM drive since. They also tried blaming ME for some damage on the back right of the computer, which THEIR sales associate did, when I bought the computer (it was a display model). It was fine when the sales associate took it to the back room, to find the battery and box for it, which he never found (so they dropped the price to like $600, from ~$900), and came back with a dent in the back right corner.  

The computer I was given had 3 gig DDR2 666 mhz, 1.6ghz dual core, 320 gig HD, and intel integrated video card. The computer I had sent in for repair was: 4gig DDR2 800mhz, 1.83ghz dual core, 250 gig HD, and an ATI dedictated 512 meg video card. That is far from better than the computer I had.  

Also,  

What is their policy on losing computers? I sent mine in for repairs AGAIN, 2 weeks ago. I had tracking & insurance put on it, because I've had UPS screw up before. It got to their store the next day, and someone signed for it.  

I just called them today, to check on the status (something didn't feel right), and guess what they said? "We have no record of you sending it in to us other than when you sent your computer in for your CD-ROM drive repair" I told them that I shipped it UPS, WITH tracking, and insurance, and that someone signed for it at the dock 2 weeks ago. Her tone of voice suddenly changed "I'll check around, and talk to people, and see if we can find your laptop. Is this the correct phone number to call you back at?" I wanted to rage out on her, but I decided to keep my cool, until the day I drive into their store, and give them a major earful, if they ever find my laptop. If they don't, I am still going to their store, so I can cash in on my replacement warranty, and still make them piss their pants.  

I am NEVER buying from Fry's Electronics again, and I am warning EVERYONE I know to never shop from them, due to their piss poor customer service, and lack of organization!
  18.  permalink
    bstrickler: "Because one day your computer fails, you bring it to Fry's, you get a loaner computer (which is much better than what you purchased)"  

That wasn't the case for me, I was given a POS loaner computer when I had to send my laptop in to have them repair my CD-ROM drive, which, by the way, they DIDN'T FIX! I ended up fixing it, by removing it, and SLAMMING it back in, and screwing the retaining screw tight. Never had a problem with the CD-ROM drive since. They also tried blaming ME for some damage on the back right of the computer, which THEIR sales associate did, when I bought the computer (it was a display model). It was fine when the sales associate took it to the back room, to find the battery and box for it, which he never found (so they dropped the price to like $600, from ~$900), and came back with a dent in the back right corner.  

The computer I was given had 3 gig DDR2 666 mhz, 1.6ghz dual core, 320 gig HD, and intel integrated video card. The computer I had sent in for repair was: 4gig DDR2 800mhz, 1.83ghz dual core, 250 gig HD, and an ATI dedictated 512 meg video card. That is far from better than the computer I had.  

Also,  

What is their policy on losing computers? I sent mine in for repairs AGAIN, 2 weeks ago. I had tracking & insurance put on it, because I've had UPS screw up before. It got to their store the next day, and someone signed for it.  

I just called them today, to check on the status (something didn't feel right), and guess what they said? "We have no record of you sending it in to us other than when you sent your computer in for your CD-ROM drive repair" I told them that I shipped it UPS, WITH tracking, and insurance, and that someone signed for it at the dock 2 weeks ago. Her tone of voice suddenly changed "I'll check around, and talk to people, and see if we can find your laptop. Is this the correct phone number to call you back at?" I wanted to rage out on her, but I decided to keep my cool, until the day I drive into their store, and give them a major earful, if they ever find my laptop. If they don't, I am still going to their store, so I can cash in on my replacement warranty, and still make them piss their pants.  

I am NEVER buying from Fry's Electronics again, and I am warning EVERYONE I know to never shop from them, due to their piss poor customer service, and lack of organization!

Okay first I don't know what store you sent it to, but the store I worked at except for very random circumstances never accepted computers sent to them by UPS, FEDEX, etc. You had to actually bring the laptop into the service department for it to be checked in. This is because of all the paperwork that needs to be signed for when you check in a computer especially a laptop. The people at the Fry's Dock don't really care about this and I had times where we had to go back to explain to them that they can't sign for items like that. Its very possible they tried to contact you about this and the laptop is most likely not lost but just in service department cage waiting for them to make contact with you. The service department can't work on a computer until the paperwork is filled out and that is most likely the problem. I would call the service department of the store you sent it to and ask to speak to the DM of the service department and explain your situation. Be calm and don't yell at them because they don't make these policies and get seriously burned by the Home Office if they bend/break them. So you need to talk with him and see if you can work something out.
  19.  permalink
    YOU MAILED YOUR COMPUTER TO FRYS? Hahaha this is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Of course someone signed for it, a laptop showed up in a box, most likely with other items in the same shipment, and the driver said he needed signatures to verify delivery, and the receiver did just that! And now its probably sitting in the service department, and no one knows what it is, and its not checked into the database system because no one knows what to do with it.  

Upon reading your post again, you said you send it in "AGAIN"? I'm assuming you didn't mail it in the first time, because you mentioned you had a loaner. And Fry's sure doesn't MAIL those out.  

There are valid reasons not to shop at Fry's. Stuff happens. But this is not one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbstrickler
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010 edited
    Sorry about leaving y'all in the dark. Been busy with school.  

I shipped it to the store in Tempe, Arizona (where I bought it from). I had checked with them a few days before shipping my laptop to them, to make sure I was able to do that. I had it addressed to the service department, so there was no logical explanation (to me) why it didn't just go straight there that day, or even within a few days of recieving it.  

They called me back about 10 minutes before I was going to leave for class that day, and let me know that they found it, and that they will work on it asap (this is a first! And it was a male I was speaking with this time, who actually treated me nice). They ended up calling again later that day (I was still in school), to let me know that they had fixed the problem (apparently, the hard drive was broken, because after replacing the hard drive, they couldn't replicate the issue). Hopefully the guy that I spoke with is the new head of the service department. The woman that I dealt with last time was a bitch (she pissed off 3 customers before me, so I knew that I most likely was going to be pissed at the end, too). Hopefully she's fired.  

I am going to go to the store I ship things from, and figure out how I go about having UPS pick up my laptop from them, and deliver it to my mom's salon (should be cheaper than having them deliver it to my house).  

Hopefully, when I get it back, it will actually be fixed. I'm actually not upset, because the turnaround time was quick compared to last time (almost 3 months for the CD-ROM drive to be fixed).  

And no, last time, I was able to take it into the store, because my friend was headed up that way that weekend, anyways. When they got my computer back, and asked me to return the loaner, I just scheduled a weekend trip (otherwise it would've been 8 hours of driving (4 each way) to get my laptop back).  

I was just hoping UPS would've lost/broken my laptop on it's way there, like they do with almost any other package that I receive/(rarely)send through them, hence the reason I used UPS, and not FedEx. Maybe they'll smash it on its way back here.
  20.  permalink
    No associate over the phone should have made a promise to you that you can "mail in your PC" for service. Irregardless of WHICH department you spoke to.  

It's actually written out in your Performance Service Contract Terms and Conditions that in order to obtain service that you physically have to bring it into the store. It's also important for them to have a signed Service Request Order form which is the agreement they use to check your laptop in for service, which helps give the store a broader range of things they can do to take care of you, as well as create a record of service that could be used to justify a replacement unit if ever necessary.  

I can't imagine what they are doing to break their rules to accommodate you, but I'm sure it can't be pretty.  

My advice to any customers looking to expedite their repair is to simply ask the technician if there's anything that can be done to expedite the repair. If they say no, then there's probably not much they can do to make it go any faster, and you'll just get stressed out trying to get them committed to specific deadlines and being disappointed when they aren't met (because of parts, unexpected difficulties, etc.).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbstrickler
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010
    I just got the laptop in the mail today, when I never even asked or told them to ship it back (Or even set up a pickup with UPS/Fedex). I was going to call them today, to see if they put Vista back on it (last I was told, they weren't going to put it on, but Iasked them to put it back on, since it came with Vista).  

When I booted it up, guess what? No OS found! These people are idiots. It also came back with a deep scratch/gouge in the screen, which it wasn't sent in with.  

I'm going to have to call them today, and tell them I want Vista on my computer. Either send me the CD, so I can install it myself, or they pay shipping for my laptop, both ways, so they can put it back on, since they were supposed to, to begin with!  

This is becoming more of a fucking nightmare as each day passes.  

I'm not worried about deadlines, anymore, I JUST WANT MY COMPUTER FUNCTIONAL, WITH WINDOWS!!  

I'll update when I know what the hell they are going to do.  

~Brian
    •  
      CommentAuthorbstrickler
    Update:  

Apparently you void the software warranty when you install a second OS on the computer. That is what they said when I called them back, asking why my computer came back without an OS. Now, I have no reasonable choice but to download a copy of Vista.  

I just dont get how dual-booting voids a software warranty. I guess its another way to fuck over people who know computers. And another reason to ditch Gayway, and Fried.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 6674
    Software is not covered under the warranty. It shouldn't matter if you have XP, Vista, 7, linux, or whatever. The PSC covers the hardware. If your drive is bad though, they should've atleast installed the OS in which you have the product key for ( on the bottom of the unit ). If they switched out the drive, they can bill the software restore to the PSC account. I work in the Oxnard store and definately would've put what you had on it, but I have also been in the Burbank store. They replaced a customer's HDD and didn't install windows. The manager at the time explained to the customer how the software wasn't covered ,and it was their responsibility to get the OS back on. That was kinda fucked in my mind, but did you not make your recovery disks when you first got the machine? There is no "software warranty" with the PSC. Tempe just got one of the best service managers in the company from Phoenix, have you spoken with her to remedy the issue(s)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbstrickler
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    I wasn't expecting the HD to be switched, though. That's the thing. At the least, they could've told me that the HD needed to be replaced, and asked if I needed any data backed up (like they asked, when I sent it in for the CD-ROM). I'm kinda glad they did change it, though, because Gateway fucked that laptop up, by designing it so you can't change the hard drive, without pulling the case apart, which is rediculous! The hard drive is one of the first things to crap out on a laptop! I can't wait for my warranty to be up, so I can fix all the problems with it, like milling a chunk of aluminum to create an extended heatsink for the processor (it overheats with the stock processor, and the CPU cover suffocates the processor, to the point you could fry the CPU, if the computer doesn't throttle back), modifying the CPU cover (or making one), and cutting off the things keeping you from being able to change the hard drive (unless I find an easy, quick, and non-destructive way to remove the case).  

By the way, I just had to send the computer BACK in, because they never fixed the actual problem I was having. They apparently assumed it was the hard drive that caused all the problems, and never verified that it fixed the problem, even after I had a note with the computer, stating the video card itself was failing, because any pressure on the left side of the computer (above the processor) would cause it to stop working for a few seconds, or cause a BSOD, which Windows claimed was caused by atikmdag.sys. Now they've told me they're going to test the video card itself. Whether they'll actually do that or not, is the next question.  

90% of the problems I found via Google, with that problem involve flaky drivers. Mine started having that problem back in January, for a few weeks, then I updated the drivers, and that didn't fix the problem, and along with the fact it's caused by overheating and/or pressure on the left side of the computer, I highly doubt it's the driver, especially since it still does it under the BIOS. Especially when I've had the laptop for about 2 years now.  

I did make recovery disks, but I can't find them, in the mess of OS & recovery CD's/DVD's I have. Gave up after searching for 30 min, and just decided to download a copy, and tell my ISP I had no choice but to DL Vista, since it hadn't been put back on the computer.  

I haven't talked with her, but I've been dealing with a guy named Trevor, and after I told him they lost over $8,000 of business from us in the next year (my parent's were planning to buy new appliances, along with some other things, from them, until this shitstorm started up), shit changed FAST (that doesn't include any future money they might've gotten from friends, asking about Fry's). I was actually treated nicely, and they said they'd test the video card itself, when they get the computer, and if they can't fix it, they'll send it in to Gateway, and then when they get it back, they'll run benchmark tests for a few days, and test the video card again, to verify that everything is in working order, before they call me to see if I want them to ship it out, or if I'm going to come pick it up.  

It's amazing what happens when you threaten them with that much monetary loss.  

I'll update again when I know more  

~Brian
  21.  permalink
    I've got a little question about the PSC vs. manufacturer warranty:  

I've recently been told that in order for the service department to replace an item under it's PSC that it must first be out of the manufacturer's warranty. So what happens when I buy a 3-year PSC for my Seagate harddrive that has a 5-year manufacturer warranty? Am I fucked as far as the money that I spent on the warranty?  

That being said, I still continue to sell PSCs on items that have a manufacturer warranty longer than one year. Heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7632
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    @ particle

its correct that through psc "instant exchange" the item cannot be under manufacturers warranty. if it is, the transaction is done entirely through the returns dept and service is not involved at all.
  22.  permalink
    particleman: I've got a little question about the PSC vs. manufacturer warranty:  

I've recently been told that in order for the service department to replace an item under it's PSC that it must first be out of the manufacturer's warranty. So what happens when I buy a 3-year PSC for my Seagate harddrive that has a 5-year manufacturer warranty? Am I fucked as far as the money that I spent on the warranty?  

That being said, I still continue to sell PSCs on items that have a manufacturer warranty longer than one year. Heh.

Yeah, that was always a fun one when returns would come up to us with that situation in service. Basically when that situation comes up its all about returns because Service can't help at all. In fact most times if the item is no longer carried they usually give them a store credit to purchase a new HDD. Still its something were the service sups have to fight with the sales department dm's because you can't allow it to go through or service gets killed with Charge backs.
  23.  permalink
    "I've recently been told that in order for the service department to replace an item under it's PSC that it must first be out of the manufacturer's warranty. So what happens when I buy a 3-year PSC for my Seagate harddrive that has a 5-year manufacturer warranty? Am I fucked as far as the money that I spent on the warranty?"

The system will check now if the item is inside the warranty or not. If it's inside the warranty it creates a credit from the old drive to buy the new one and the old part is sent to RTV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010 edited
    Guest: "I've recently been told that in order for the service department to replace an item under it's PSC that it must first be out of the manufacturer's warranty. So what happens when I buy a 3-year PSC for my Seagate harddrive that has a 5-year manufacturer warranty? Am I f*cked as far as the money that I spent on the warranty?"

Sounds like you got suckered by Fry's. I'd demand a refund, and an apology.
  24.  permalink
    I'm an employee. I know how to get my way with this kind of thing reguardless of policy.  

Also: Why did you censor that "fuck"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    Why did I censor it? Because the use of profanity isn't appropriate and adds no value. It's unnecessary.
  25.  permalink
    particleman: I've got a little question about the PSC vs. manufacturer warranty:  

It gets taken care of behind the scenes. Whether it gets handled through the Service Department or Returns, in the end the customer gets a brand new hard drive. So the PSC is absolutely worth selling on it, because it gives Service/Returns the reason to handle it.  

I've RMAed hard drives to Seagate before (damn 1TB firmware issue) and it's such a bitch to wait for the drive, and pay shipping to send it out. And they have stringent requirements on exactly how you send it out or they won't accept it.  

Just the other day I used the one-time instant exchange on my 500 GB laptop hard drive. It was nice to wait a few minutes and get a brand new hard drive. Much better than the RMA, and worth the money you'd spend in shipping anyway. ^_^
    •  
      CommentAuthorbstrickler
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    Another update:  

Fry's tried slamming me for $500 because they couldn't verify the serial number on the laptop (the serial number was worn off the sticker, on the bottom of the laptop)! They claimed it could be a completely different computer as far as they knew! I told them that it has only been serviced through them, and that with it being a laptop, THE SERIAL NUMBER SHOULD NOT BE ON A PIECE OF CRAP STICKER ON THE BOTTOM OF THE COMPUTER!!! IT'S GOING TO WEAR OFF IN 6 MONTHS! I kept arguing with them for a while, then gave up, and told them I'd call them when I found a way for them to get the serial number off the motherboard. First, I found a VBS that is able to retrieve the serial number off of most computers (doesn't seem like it works with Vista, though, because of all their security BS), then found Belarc (Which is something they SHOULD HAVE!!!! It eliminates that problem from ever happening! It also gives all the information would need from a computer.... Oh wait, I forgot, they like to steal from their victims every way that they can!)  

Now, I have to call them tomorrow, and tell them to download that program, and to STOP FUCKING PEOPLE OVER!  

Jesus christ, they are going to be royally screwed if I ever have to go into the store and fight with them.  

/rant
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    They have a serial in the BIOS.,,
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2090
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    Let me tell you why, personally, that PSC stuff (warranty stuff) takes so long to do.

Firstly, its a matter of parts. Fry's does not have the parts on hand, we must order them. Knowing how the mail system is it could take weeks.

Secondly, its a matter of backlog. There are a lot of computers to work on, and by the time we get the part, we may be busy with something else. Also, one person is assigned to a computer; this person has days off and may be part-time.

Thirdly, its also a matter of troubleshooting. Believe it or not, sometimes we order parts and the computer still does not work. We must continue diagnostics until we can fix the thing.

Finally (although this is minor), we no longer get ANY COMMISSION on PSC work. This means we work for free on all warranty work; you can guess how some of us feel about this. I'd rather go make a few bucks by talking to customers than go work on something that doesn't pay me.

Please don't shit up the thread with your personal stories. Making a dozen posts about your bad experience only derails the thread, make a new thread about it if you must tell a story like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2090
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    Sorry to double post, but in regards to Brians post above...

It is true once service fixes one problem, the tech will send it back to you with the other ones unfixed. Happens through sheer laziness and I know I'm guilty of cutting corners sometimes.

I will also say this in the nicest way possible and you may not be guilty of it, but a service technician doesn't really care if you buy anything else in the store. There is plenty of work to do without your patronage. Fry's Electronics may care about your continued business, so please tell Store Manager etc etc and not the damn technician. I cannot count how many times people have ranted at me how much "potential business" that the store will lose because my department consists of idiots and fecal matter. Customer service, business sense, and even ethics are not part of my job, I just fix computers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    Its all about risk management. You can get the warranty for a small price but its value deteriorates when you have a problem. Your time is more valuable. Its much better to buy a new computer than deal with he hidden cost of wasting valuable time running in circles trying to get your aged PC repaired.
  26.  permalink
    Guest: Sorry to double post, but in regards to Brians post above...  

It is true once service fixes one problem, the tech will send it back to you with the other ones unfixed. Happens through sheer laziness and I know I'm guilty of cutting corners sometimes.  

I will also say this in the nicest way possible and you may not be guilty of it, but a service technician doesn't really care if you buy anything else in the store. There is plenty of work to do without your patronage. Fry's Electronics may care about your continued business, so please tell Store Manager etc etc and not the damn technician. I cannot count how many times people have ranted at me how much "potential business" that the store will lose because my department consists of idiots and fecal matter. Customer service, business sense, and even ethics are not part of my job, I just fix computers.

Well First, as a former tech I can honestly say I loved multiple problem machines because they you could make more money by just ordering a bunch of parts. If you had a bad Motherboard and a Bad HDD or even a HDD with one bad sector you could replace the HDD and the Motherboard under the warranty along with charging for an OS restore. Then you can call up the customer and get them to pay for Data Backup. You get the money from that and get the PSC money. That is just one example and there are lots of ways to go about that, you just need to know how to best manage the resources you have at your disposal.  

Second, You never want to have the customer go to the MIC, ASM or SM because you'll end up getting royally screwed in 9 out of 9 cases. I've had cases where customer complained to the ASM/SM and got data backup charges thrown out because the customer didn't want to have to pay data backup charges if the HDD had to be replaced. I also had SM return the diagnostic fee for a customer that didn't have a warranty because he brought in his machine and their wasn't a problem with the machine the customer just didn't use the machine correctly.  

Third you have to remember Customer's get upset because they don't understand Fry's Process and everything you have to go through to get their computer fixed. I actually had a situation where I started working at Frys and a friend had checked their computer in before I started working there. They got it back then brought it back as a rework and for the second time it got shipped to SST. They called in on the first day of MOPAR, the first day I opened the Department, and while only me, a coordinator and our DDM were in the department. I had to explain to them that they owed the diagnostic fee because SST said their was liquid damage to the machine. They screamed a lot on the phone but stayed calm because they knew me. Most customer don't know you and only want to believe the lies the salesmen tell them because they don't want to admit they were con...sold to. At some point you have to sell a little bit of your soul to become a good enough liar...I mean salesman to get them to not think the warranty is BS>
  27.  permalink
    "pick up my laptop from them, and deliver it to my mom's salon"
    "my parent's were planning to buy new appliances"
    (1) You're young. People in their mid-20's usually have a decent job and don't worry about a few dollars shipping. They also don't mention their mom's on forums.

"milling a chunk of aluminum to create an extended heatsink for the processor"
    (2) No. You're not. You would like to think so, but you aren't going to make a heatsink. You don't have the knowledge.

"just decided to download a copy, and tell my ISP I had no choice but to DL Vista"
    (3) You don't know much about computers. I've seen your type. ou know just enough to use big words and get yourself in trouble. Why would you inform your ISP of your activities? Retarded.

"after I told him they lost over $8,000 of business from us in the next year"
    (4) I've heard that one often. Guess what: It isn't true, and employees don't give a shit.

"they couldn't verify the serial number on the laptop (the serial number was worn off the sticker)"
    "when I found a way for them to get the serial number off the motherboard. First, I found a VBS"
    (5) Seriously? You wanted to bring in a fucking VBS script? If you brought that in to me, I would kick your ass out.

"then found Belarc"
    (6) Why didn't you just go into the BIOS and get the serial number? Like any half-intelligent person would?

"they are going to be royally screwed if I ever have to go into the store and fight with them."
    (7) Adults don't actually talk like that. I would put your age 16-21.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010
    I already know everything about the service department. It is un-needed by anyone with a half ounce of intelligence.  
    Backup is a MUST HAVE. Parts today are Plug n play. ANY problem can be solved with a simple Google search, and do-it-yourself software can be downloaded that far excedes the out-dated crap "techs" use.  

I would NEVER trust my machine/data to an outside source......they don't know half what they tell you they do (and for what they are making,,,,you get what you pay for). I don't know what Frys charges....but have been in others places and seen "techs" charging $79 to INSTALL Norton on a machine...not $79 for the program....just INSTALLING it.....$79 to click "next" a half dozen times. LOL. Most outside repair services (not Just Frys) are filled with horny little snoops who will steal personal photos, vids, personal information and serials for Windows and various apps. I suggest anyone who doesn't believe this.....do a search on Geek Squad and their habits....they are just the ones who have been caught the most, they ALL do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5541
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    Hello all!

I am hoping for some support and help... I just turned in my HP Laptop dv2740se for repair, it's still under the protection plan/store warranty from Fry's. Just to give a bit of history, my laptop was my first big purchase as an adult (That and my car) and it's like my baby. (I named it Lola, yes I know I am way crazy). My laptop has a heat sink fan that's dead, a DVD writer/light scribe that's dead, some dead/dying pixels on the display and the power jack is broken. (To the point where I have to hold the cord at an angle to get a charge.)

I really didn't want to turn it in due to the fact that I would be without a computer for X amount of time and I have followed this board and I know some of the complaints of screw ups. Plus, it was emotional for me to just hand it over, knowing I may not get my laptop back or working if some peoples' stories are true.

I guess what I really want to know is (to our experts): Would I actually get a replacement for my laptop? If they can fix the problems, will they wipe my hard drive? And Yes, I know it will take time to order parts but how long should it take? 3 weeks? 5 weeks? 4 months? (If the stories are true!) This waiting is killing me and I am really doubting my decision to turn it in. Like maybe I should have just had my computer limp along until I could purchase a new one in the fall.

In advance thank you to anyone who can give me some advice!