Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    I heard that the computer sales people at Fry's used to receive 'base pay + commission' but now they only receive commission alone. Is this true? If so, do they make less now than they did when they had base pay? Or did the company up the amount of commission per sale to compensate? When customers return stuff, it's got to hurt even more now than before right?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's Dropping Commission Only for Salespeople
    So I heard Sales People are going to be commission only.
    The Draw and Commission only people
    More Commission Busting Sales Tips for Customers
    So.. Components will be going commission only in Q4 2011...
  2.  permalink
    Think about it man, I just applied there and they wanted me to work full commission. It's a complete scam, because this is entry level sales. On full commission you rely on your experience and expertise to support yourself with, if you don't have the experience or the cutthroat instincts you won't make enough money for it to be worth it. You'll always be stressed at work and hoping you can keep yourself afloat by netting enough customers, not unlike a CutCo "salesperson". On full commission they could hire the whole damn city and it would still be cost effective, and that's probably what they're doing. They called me today for my 3rd interview but I told them I had something else set up already and that they didn't give me enough advance notice, it took me a day and a half to identify how badly these people treat their employees. I'd never want to go through that hell for a minimum wage job, I'd rather bus tables and get more money any day and actually get treated like a human being.
  3.  permalink
    How is it a scam? Some people can make $50k a year doing sales at Fry's. It is completely performance based. You basically said if you suck at sales, you get no money. No shit? Did you expect to suck and make money? I think you really should go and wait on tables, the job requires no skill, any idiot can serve food.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    50k sounds like good money. Are the schedules usually pretty fair? I'm guessing the person who's constantly scheduled at opening (or some other time during the day) early in the week won't make too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011 edited
    I just feel for the poor customer who walks in with a Fry's ad in his hand and is looking for help with a computer "On Sale"  

Salesmen leap off the floor in all directions. Next time the customer should go the most expensive laptop, examine it, and when attacked by 5 salespeople, whip out the Ad. and watch the sales people scatter again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011
    Hah, that'd be a sight to see!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest21875
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011
    FrenchyFry: I just feel for the poor customer who walks in with a Fry's ad in his hand and is looking for help with a computer "On Sale"  

Salesmen leap off the floor in all directions. Next time the customer should go the most expensive laptop, examine it, and when attacked by 5 salespeople, whip out the Ad. and watch the sales people scatter again.

They already do that. I've experienced it first hand. My response is. "Ahh you're looking for that. It's right over there. *points to the general direction and walks off*
  4.  permalink
    Lol @ $50k a year. With 12+ people on the sales floor with a meager amount of customers if any... good luck with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPeabody
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011
    I'm on the outside looking in here.  

I've been with Best Buy for a few years and working part time I have achieved a decent hourly rate. They have been cutting hours like crazy and all of us that have a high pay rate have seen the biggest cuts. I've went from clearing $700 every 2 weeks to clearing only $250. It doesn't really matter if you can sell or not because they base your hours on your rate of pay (granted they don't tell you this and will deny it). It is for this reason why I decided to apply for Fry's. I'm sure it's not going to be a walk in the park but at least being commission based I would have the "opportunity" to make more money than what an hourly rate would provide.  

Also if they are "Flooding" the floor as some have pointed out on these forums, it's no different than when I worked in car sales for a year. Just the nature of the 100% commission environment. The most important thing is to treat what customers you do have with respect regardless of the sale being a "loser" or a "winner." I've had many "Losing" sales in the past in which that customer sent in referrals that were big "winners."  

Just my 2 Cents :face-smile:
  5.  permalink
    How do you go from $700 to $250? If you are a full time employee, they should not be able to cut your hours past 32, at least that is how it is in California.

Back on topic, the worst paycheck I ever got in sales was around $400 in a week, the best being $550 or so, with some better sales people hitting the $750 mark.
  6.  permalink
    Just a helpful bit of advice, Peabody,

Referrals are an absolutely awful thing to rely on in the retail environment, at least in the Fry's one. There are thirty other salesmen in the department; the odds of the customer that was sent in to look for you being helped by you are nil. Most likely, they'll ask for you, get told you're not there or are busy, "but how can I help you?" and buy something from whoever they ran into.

I'm not saying treat your customers badly. I am saying don't count on referrals in Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPeabody
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011
    @Guest 53822  

A Part time Best Buy employee will go anywhere from 4 hours a week to 30+ hours depending on the performance of the store. That's how such large swings can occur.  

@Guest 38860  

I hear you on that. I've had it happen to me many times in previous jobs, but at the same time I will always still try to get referrals.
  7.  permalink
    My manager told me I'm going straight into sales right after my orientation week...

I'm skilled in what I'm going to be selling so I hope I make a decent amount.

I'm a freshmen in college and this is my first job so if I make more than 8 bucks an hour I'm already doing better than if I worked at fucking McDonalds or something.

They also worked around my school schedule so I'm happy with that.
Add your comments