Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    Just saw where Steve Thomas is closing down his 'Fry's Electronics Experiences" site after some ten years. Steve's site helped bring to light many of the underhanded and oft times illegal practices that Fry's has employed over the years. Having had an "inside look" into the workings of Fry's (I worked for the insurance/risk management firm that handled Fry's), I was prevy to many of their tactics. That was one of the main reasons our firm fired them as a client.  

Kudos to Steve.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Been away from Fry's for a long time, want to buy some stuff. What is AP like?
    So long, farewall
    So, how much longer does Fry's realistically have?
    So long, PLUs, we hardly knew ye.
    Someone wanna guess how much longer till they remove Commission?
  2.  permalink
    How sad...why is he shutting it down?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    I'm more interested in details from the firm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    and no i still dont include punctuation but why the name change obiwan ........ and one person actually figured out who i am ........... and too bad steve shut it down it was pretty good and informative.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    I doubt anyone would 'fire' such a well paying client, if they did indeed pay. There are always those well paying ones that DONT pay.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    well fried electronics is one of those well paying ones that don'tLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    AyaHu: I doubt anyone would 'fire' such a well paying client, if they did indeed pay. There are always those well paying ones that DONT pay.

Fry's a "well paying client"....that's a good one! Seriously though, we did fire them. Their whole corporate office bunch, especially Kathy Kolder, were extremely difficult. Recommendations to help reduce the losses they on their Workers' Comp went unheaded. demands for "free" service. When we finally crunched the numbers, we were being way underpaid for the amount of work, and the decision was made that Fry's just wasn't worth it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    The funny part is... we make about twice as much as analysts think we do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    Fry's corporate are a bunch of stingy jews.i am a worm.
  3.  permalink
    What is happening is known as "ennui" in the market, and by the critics. People are no longer outraged, disgusted, or even entertained by Fry's and its antics. Just bored.

When all is said and done, the Fry's organization is very good at marketing. But, without out substance behind that marketing, everyone knows that the Fry's company is simply a group of people using threadbare advertising and worn sales techniques, without a genuine interest in delivering value.

Best Buy, on the other hand, continues to grow. Best Buy has a culture of seeking to satisfy customer needs, wants, and complaints. Best Buy recognizes that long term value and success arises from delivering quality merchandise and building customer confidence in their brand.

When you think of Fry's, what exactly do you think of? A good selection? Check. Friendly, attentive sales people? Not so much. Good prices? On their advertised items, maybe? Good product on the shelves, all new and not a return? No.

If offered a choice between a memory stick from Fry's, and the same spec'd memory stick from Best Buy for 10% more? What would you buy?

Best Buy has goodwill. Fry's has cheap stuff on ad. That's why Fry's will never be as successful as it might have been at the beginning.

And back to my definition of "ennui." The public and the critics are bored with Fry's. Fry's will cease to thrive. Just my prediction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009
    Fry's attitude is "we are all going to die... who cares"
  4.  permalink
    Guest: What is happening is known as "ennui" in the market, and by the critics. People are no longer outraged, disgusted, or even entertained by Fry's and its antics. Just bored.  

When all is said and done, the Fry's organization is very good at marketing. But, without out substance behind that marketing, everyone knows that the Fry's company is simply a group of people using threadbare advertising and worn sales techniques, without a genuine interest in delivering value.  

Best Buy, on the other hand, continues to grow. Best Buy has a culture of seeking to satisfy customer needs, wants, and complaints. Best Buy recognizes that long term value and success arises from delivering quality merchandise and building customer confidence in their brand.  

When you think of Fry's, what exactly do you think of? A good selection? Check. Friendly, attentive sales people? Not so much. Good prices? On their advertised items, maybe? Good product on the shelves, all new and not a return? No.  

If offered a choice between a memory stick from Fry's, and the same spec'd memory stick from Best Buy for 10% more? What would you buy?  

Best Buy has goodwill. Fry's has cheap stuff on ad. That's why Fry's will never be as successful as it might have been at the beginning.  

And back to my definition of "ennui." The public and the critics are bored with Fry's. Fry's will cease to thrive. Just my prediction.

The attentive sales people thing. I personally believe that that is a customer opinion about that or not. Yeah, people complain about sales people at Fry's, but I constantly get compliments about our sales people as well. Got a guy to spend $100 more on the same desktop that Brandsmart had for less only because he enjoyed our service. We hear complaints against Best Buy almost all the time.  

If I saw the same memory stick 10% more at Fry's than Best Buy, I may still consider going to Fry's because they are more likely to have it in stock and there does exist helpful salespeople.  

The worn sales techniques still works. If it works, why fix it?  

Fry's itself as a company will, I predict, succeed despite you naysayers.Why is there an S in Lisp?
  5.  permalink
    I look out in the parking lot at frys in san diego and still see more cars then the parking lot of any of the best buys here in San Diego. Frys will survive no matter how many bad customer experiences are reported. Everyone loves cheaper accessories and alot of people like building their own computers. So frys will always be needed until Best Buy can do everything frys can do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Best Buy does rock for customer service.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    SDCherryPicker: I look out in the parking lot at frys in san diego and still see more cars then the parking lot of any of the best buys here in San Diego. Frys will survive no matter how many bad customer experiences are reported. Everyone loves cheaper accessories and alot of people like building their own computers. So frys will always be needed until Best Buy can do everything frys can do.

There is only one best buy in san diego?
  6.  permalink
    asdf:
    SDCherryPicker: I look out in the parking lot at frys in san diego and still see more cars then the parking lot of any of the best buys here in San Diego. Frys will survive no matter how many bad customer experiences are reported. Everyone loves cheaper accessories and alot of people like building their own computers. So frys will always be needed until Best Buy can do everything frys can do.

No. I think there is like 9 or 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    SDCherryPicker:
    asdf:

Guffaw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009 edited
    SDCherryPicker:
    asdf:

and only 1 san diego store.... Which means there are more customers at 10 best buy san diego stores right now than Frys in san diego.
  7.  permalink
    asdf:
    SDCherryPicker:
    asdf:

and only 1 san diego store.... Which means there are more customers at 10 best buy san diego stores right now than Frys in san diego.

If you combine all of them. But if you say just the Best Buy in Mission Valley, mira mesa, la mesa, and el cajon then I would say frys would have more customers in one day then they do combined. I worked at the Best Buy in Mission Valley and they barely pulled in total sales of 75k a day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009
    While Fry's is quite better than Best Buy, we do have fewer stores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009
    they both are bad compared to wiredzoneLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2009
    newegg makes more money that these stores combined
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    wiredzone beats newegg on prices and even shipping times but newegg has more productsLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Suzukiman: wiredzone beats newegg on prices and even shipping times but newegg has more products

higher prices = making more money
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    lower prices = more loyal customers.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Lower prices = more customers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpcghostII
    Here is why people will continue to shop at fry's. You go to best buy and the few I been in have a very nice and helpful staff. But the problem is the selection of products. sure you can find the same memory or the same laptop, hell it might even be cheaper by a couple of dollars or so, but then you look at the accessories. HDMI cable, you have 2 choices from B.B. and they are over the top in prices, usb cable good god why do I need to spend 30 bucks for a cable at B.B., fry's has more choice in cables then anyone else, and start at a much cheaper price. The bottom line is people still want cheap, and as much as I am a believer in better quality cable you cant argue with people who just don't have the money to spend on a 30 dollar cable when you can get a similar one for 10 bucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    frys has higher prices to online stores much higher.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    No shipping and convenience based on need.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    no shipping fees with many online items and remember you always pay for shipping but it may be included in the price of the product.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2009
    I wonder what shipping on a refrigerator would be...
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2009
    Sasquatch: I wonder what shipping on a refrigerator would be...

Have you seen what it cost for a refrigerator after AP? Free shipping is not a big deal when you see how profitable these units are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009
    That's what the looping videos of Good Eats are there for. To distract you from the markup.