Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008 edited
    http://consumerist.com/5074161/breaking-circuit-city-closing-155-stores  

Tomorrow we will see some price slashing!  

•  
      CommentAuthorCaligrl
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    circuit city has been going downhill ever since 2000. they dropped appliances from their stores, tyhen split carmax stock off, then laid off their best people when they switched to hourly, then laid off their best people AGAIN two years later. Surprised they are still in business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sounds like frys. Pay your best people lower and lower and keep cutting commissions and over staffing to make earning commissions impossible.
  1.  permalink
    Caligrl: circuit city has been going downhill ever since 2000. they dropped appliances from their stores, tyhen split carmax stock off, then laid off their best people when they switched to hourly, then laid off their best people AGAIN two years later. Surprised they are still in business.

CC really has been slowly f***ing their company over ever since they got rid of commission. By the time they fired their best hourly employees I doubt most of their best employees back from the commission days still worked for the company, but any who didn't find a new job by then got fired.  

I don't know whether I would agree that dropping appliances was a bad idea. Appliances take up a **lot** of space relative to their profit. Not only that, but they sell very slowly. Unless you have a great attachment rate for service plans appliances will never make you much money. When I worked at Fry's appliances was virtually always the least profitable department. I understand that was the same at local Best Buy locations as well. There are a lot of bad product selection decisions CC made, but not selling appliances probably wasn't one of them.  

asdf: Sounds like frys. Pay your best people lower and lower and keep cutting commissions and over staffing to make earning commissions impossible.

I don't really know what commissions are at Fry's these days since I quit, but lower commissions are nothing compared to seeing commission disappear entirely. Back when CC had commission I understand that their employees made decent money. One guy I met at Fry's said it took him three years to get back to his CC income after CC cut commission and he started working at Fry's. The commission was that lucrative. While I will agree that Fry's seems to be going towards cheaper and cheaper labor I think CC is far worse than Fry's. At Fry's there is always somebody who knows something, but at CC you are lucky if anyone knows anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Caligrl: circuit city has been going downhill ever since 2000. they dropped appliances from their stores, tyhen split carmax stock off, then laid off their best people when they switched to hourly, then laid off their best people AGAIN two years later. Surprised they are still in business.

What she said.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthornewmedia
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008 edited
    Its war out their between Magastores, CC was great place to work and shop at when it first opened, Money was easy to make even with many sales associates on the same floor.  

I believe what brought them into financial trouble was when they kept expanding and signing long term lease deals , one city can only have too many electronic retailers.  

Fry's on the other hand have limited stores in major cities, careful of not competing with each other, as per commission/ pay cuts, more to be expected since slower economy.  

I hate working on commission sales when the sales floor is over staffed, but thats how it is..  

sink or swim ...:face-devil-grin:  

One thing I rather have these days is job security instead of being a commission based.:face-crying:..its just too unpredictable these days even the knowing that I could make more money working under commission system.:face-sad:
  2.  permalink
    newmedia:Fry's on the other hand have limited stores in major cities, careful of not competing with each other, as per commission/ pay cuts, more to be expected since slower economy.

Fry's has had a rather slow, but steady growth over the last ~10 years. They could have gone public and grown like crazy and open stores in places that would be struggling right now, but they didn't do that so while their finances aren't public I would be surprised if they were doing half as bad as CC. The closure of CompUSA probably resulted in at least part of their customers taking their business to Fry's and the closures of CC in markets where Fry's is located will likely give a slight bump in sales to the local Fry's stores. Some of CC's former customer will take their business to local/regional retail stores, but many will take their business to Fry's or BB. Provided Fry's can pick up a good share of these customers their stores should be in better shape in the long term.  

Ultimately, I think that anyone working for Fry's though shouldn't have ever expected to make Fry's a career. If you want a job that has a great future it certainly isn't working for Fry's. Go to school or get some training because you aren't going to have a comfortable retirement working for Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    Fry's growth tastes stale. The Sass does not approve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    frys has the same growth at mclaren its a flat---lineLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....