Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2007
    Walmart, Home Depot, Albertson, and Ralphs all have self checkout now I think Fry's should too. Plus the technology is out there now so consumers can do Radio Frequency purchases.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2007
    Self checkout wouldn't work for Fry's due to the large amount of items that need interaction with an associate... I.e. a memory, CPU, hard drive purchase... Laptops that need to be walked up, etc.  

The system in place is the most efficient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2007
    Walmart and Home Depot also have a policy not to detain shoplifters of items less than $100. Don't think this would fly with Frys, seeing how their "walk of shame" (bag check at the door) suggests they don't trust paying customers.  

Although VERY convenient for the shopper, workers I have talked to at these stores say they lose MUCHO bucks with self checkout. They usually have one employee who has to "watch" multiple registers from a poteum or closed circuit camera. Impossible to see every register at once.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    The self checkout is a solution for people who hate to wait.  

So the problem is the lines at these places that have self-checkout suck.  

I think Fry's method of having a single line backed up by a distributed check out force helping breakdown the entire single line is the most efficient and most profitable method.  

CVS has the same single line.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganC
    fry's will never do this. they know people will take advantage of the system by stealing products. that's why their system is so archaic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    I have heard tales of people screwing the self scanners by passing 2 small items over the scanner (only scanning one).....the scale does not differentiate weight under 1 pound, or simply leaving stuff in the bottom rack of the cart, and simply strolling out the store.  

I personally have never had a problem with lines at Frys.....they do have more checkers than any other store, which makes long lines a non issue. I remember one year around Christmas, when the line stretched all the way across the store to the back of the building.....still didn't take more than 15 mins to get to the front and checked out. Not bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoward
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2007 edited
    The lines stretch for miles because the dumb terminals crash the servers under high load.Howard Dean for America '08
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2007
    dean:The lines stretch for miles because the dumb terminals crash the servers under high load.
    So true. lol.I shit trains, Now what?