Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthor...
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    I'm a new employee starting in computer sales. They want to start me at $8.00 hour+commission, I currently work for another electronics store making $11.00 hour with no commission.. am I making a mistake by joining the fry's team? is this a normal hourly rate for a new employee? I was told in a matter of months my rate should increase, is this true? they also told me I have to quit my current job because they are a direct competitor so I want to make sure there's gonna be a significant difference in my paycheck.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited
    ...: I'm a new employee starting in computer sales. They want to start me at $8.00 hour+commission, I currently work for another electronics store making $11.00 hour with no commission.. am I making a mistake by joining the fry's team? is this a normal hourly rate for a new employee? I was told in a matter of months my rate should increase, is this true? they also told me I have to quit my current job because they are a direct competitor so I want to make sure there's gonna be a significant difference in my paycheck.

Avoid Frys..it is run by cheats. BTW...everyone makes commission plus 8/hr...that is how it works...no raises unless minimum wage goes up again. Kathy is teaching her rats well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    Mediocre salesmen in my store make $17 per hour or more.  

Just think of it this way. A monitor in the computer department pays out to the salesmen about $4 on average. Sell 3 per hour (completely doable on every day of the week) and you've made $12 per hour in commissions. Add that to your $8 per hour and you're at $20 per hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthor...
    Im curious to know why no-one wants to help you on the sales floor if there paycheck depends on it? Customer service is such a major issue at my current job and I know how important it is in order to generate return customers and customer referrals. Dont get me wrong im not talking crap I just want to know why everyone looks like they'd rather be anywhere else but there before I become an employee...
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    Because they're lazy.  

Don't concern yourself with them. To be a successful salesman, just do this:  
    Show up to work, on time, every day.  
    Pay attention.  
    Work hard, start to finish.  
    Help everyone in sight.  

If you just do that, you can't go wrong, you'll make your own customer base quick enough and you'll do very well for yourself in sales at Fry's. Do your research for the products you represent. If a customer asks you a question you don't know, tell them you don't know then take them and go seek out the answer. Write down terms and products you don't know then review them. It'll take some time, but one you have that "aha!" moment, you'll really start to kick ass in sales.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIhatefrys
    get a clue don't you read what everyone post here frys is a bad place to work and they treat their employees like shit!
  1.  permalink
    Ihatefrys: get a clue don't you read what everyone post here frys is a bad place to work and they treat their employees like shit!

Tell it brother. We once had a customer tell our SM that he wasn't coming back because of how the supervisors treated the employees especially in front of the customers. Fry's doesn't care about employees when it lets sups and managers talk down to their employees in front of customers.
    •  
      CommentAuthor...
    So i assume all of you people talking crap about Frys have moved on to better career opportunities right? because it wouldn't make any sense to me why you would still be working for the company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIhatefrys
    Most people have been fired or have quit and moved on to better jobs and have regained their lifes back I am one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthor...
    What does one have to do to get fired at Frys?
  2.  permalink
    ...: What does one have to do to get fired at Frys?

Just breathing the wrong way can get you fired at Frys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfly
    well for one the admin of this site got fired for creating this forum and alot of others have gotten fired for stupid stuff like greg who was just trying to help with fixing problems with software and hardware issues. Fry's is just weird with their employees.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    FRYS = EVIL COMPANY RUN BY THE EVIL FRY'S FAMILY = UNHAPPY EMPLOYEES = UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS= FAILURE  

FRYS HATES UNIONS AND PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THEM ONLINE SO LETS KEEP DOING IT TO MAKE THEM MISERABLE!  

MY USERNAME: FLEA  
    MY PASSWORD: OPEN  

PRAISE THE MIGHTY ALLAH!Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthor...
    well its good to hear all ur feedback, hey do they check to see if you still work for a competitor? I was thinking about keeping my current job part time just as a precaution.
  3.  permalink
    fly: well for one the admin of this site got fired for creating this forum and alot of others have gotten fired for stupid stuff like greg who was just trying to help with fixing problems with software and hardware issues. Fry's is just weird with their employees.

"Rules destroy creativity and really benefit only those who dont know how to compose themselves as adults". Mr Hastings, Netflix CEO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    calculon: Mediocre salesmen in my store make $17 per hour or more.  

Just think of it this way. A monitor in the computer department pays out to the salesmen about $4 on average. Sell 3 per hour (completely doable on every day of the week) and you've made $12 per hour in commissions. Add that to your $8 per hour and you're at $20 per hour.

You are full of shit.  

... - why dont you call out sick or take a vacation time a few days at your current job, test the waters at frys as a new employee, ifyou likeit, call in and quit, if you dont, go back like nothin.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthornewmedia
    I asked how much do Fry's employees make in a year?  

The most accurate proof was screen shot of commission and sales for the whole week at Houston store of about 8 guys in video dept which is considered high paying dept.  

I know for sure their are more than 8 guys working in that dept that did not make top 10.  

2nd , one person sad , I have not cleared $500 commission CK since April this year...LOL  

so, yes you could make $20 an hour if you work real hard, not getting on other guys nerves, obey the Fry's policies, BUT one must to prove that by working after store is closed, putting away forcefeed, setting up a display, cleaning , all the shitty work before getting shot at commission sales.  

If you can put up with starting from bottom at $8.00 since its a pay cut and understand Fry's working ethics and do not mind attending training and sales meeting, you can do well.:face-devil-grin:  

Fry's can be fun place to work for but its not the easiest place to work for , just look at their dress code...LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    they are a store full of Mormons i think. frys is junk if you are working somewhere else do not leave for the gold that fried will not give you. remember fries is awesome for five finger discounts heck i only need 3 at most not even the whole 5.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorgolgo 13
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    ...: I'm a new employee starting in computer sales. They want to start me at $8.00 hour+commission, I currently work for another electronics store making $11.00 hour with no commission.. am I making a mistake by joining the fry's team? is this a normal hourly rate for a new employee? I was told in a matter of months my rate should increase, is this true? they also told me I have to quit my current job because they are a direct competitor so I want to make sure there's gonna be a significant difference in my paycheck.

first of all make sure its not computer ACCESSORY sales. Second, make sure that sales in general is something that you want to do, if youre not the type of person that wants to strive and work hard for a little bit(because its not alot) of commision money, then sales my friend is not for you. I would suggest that you really think thru as to what you want to do. Finally keep in mind this website, it exists for a reason. Some people on here...especially the intelectual ones will say alot of truth about the company. So think about if wether or not u want to be a salesman for a company like frys, because once you start making money for yourself and for the company, how you feel about products that the company has to offer (psc's, wireless installs,etc) as well as the company as well, WILL have an impact on you as a salesman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    prepare to grow teeth and toss out any and toss out any and all feelings you have towards other people. remember they are food ...... have fun grinding people down for another fries drink coaster or pscLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  4.  permalink
    Suzukiman: prepare to grow teeth and toss out any and toss out any and all feelings you have towards other people. remember they are food ...... have fun grinding people down for another fries drink coaster or psc

Frys will litterly make you start hating people. I worked at Frys for almost a year and let me tell you my family noticed a change in my personality within a month. I was litterly making everyone around me miserable. Guess what? About a week after Frys was out of my life I was back to my old, nice friendly ways like before I worked at Frys.
  5.  permalink
    When you sell the PSCs lie a much as you can to close the sale. It's the customers responsibility to read the contract.  

Also at Frys you spend half your time doing things that are not helping you meet your sales goals. You will also be doing lots of favors from management which prevent you from making your quotas and later get yelled at. I am just warning you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    meinside100:
    Suzukiman: prepare to grow teeth and toss out any and toss out any and all feelings you have towards other people. remember they are food ...... have fun grinding people down for another fries drink coaster or psc

Frys will litterly make you start hating people. I worked at Frys for almost a year and let me tell you my family noticed a change in my personality within a month. I was litterly making everyone around me miserable. Guess what? About a week after Frys was out of my life I was back to my old, nice friendly ways like before I worked at Frys.

Oh man, Ive worked places like THAT before. How aweful.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    exactly just look how i turned out after 2.5 years of working there it turned me from a racist evil bastard that cares nothing for anyone to a non racist evil bastard who still cares so deeply about not caring for humanity and has found how stupid people really are ......... just think you could be just like me :face-smile:Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  6.  permalink
    CrazyFox213: When you sell the PSCs lie a much as you can to close the sale. It's the customers responsibility to read the contract.  

Also at Frys you spend half your time doing things that are not helping you meet your sales goals. You will also be doing lots of favors from management which prevent you from making your quotas and later get yelled at. I am just warning you.

Yes, I loved it when DMs would tell me to do stuff and all they would do is stand behind the podium all day, typing away!!!
  7.  permalink
    meinside100:

This is one thing I agree with you on. I am the nicest guy outside of work. But when I am at work I become the biggest asshole. Frys has turned me into an asshole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    Gross.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwasddead
    Frys has turned me into the biggest asshole. Everyone in the store hates me but home office loves because I always rank at the top of my sales.http://twitter.com/Lindowtosh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch: Gross.

Hehehehe.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Are you a laugher, or a giggler?
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    meinside100:
    CrazyFox213: When you sell the PSCs lie a much as you can to close the sale. It's the customers responsibility to read the contract.  

Yes, I loved it when DMs would tell me to do stuff and all they would do is stand behind the podium all day, typing away!!!

and you forgot to add that they talk to other sales associate who should be doing the same thing you are doing as well.. ;)I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    A giggler.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    AyaHu: A giggler.

Watch out for Ayahu: The Giggler, she will laugh you silly.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    GIGGLE you silly.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorforteen
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    calculon: Because they're lazy.  

Pay attention.  
    Help everyone in sight.  

If you just do that, you can't go wrong, you'll make your own customer base quick enough and you'll do very well for yourself in sales at Fry's. Do your research for the products you represent. If a customer asks you a question you don't know, tell them you don't know then take them and go seek out the answer. Write down terms and products you don't know then review them. It'll take some time, but one you have that "aha!" moment, you'll really start to kick ass in sales.

i'm a new member here, hello to all. I work at fry's about 3 years now  

i think my tips might be a little better for sales....  

don't help every customer you might end up with some hard headed dumb ass customers and waste your time, if it's one of those.. tell them that you are with another customer and send them to the podium, then go to another customer.  

learn to pick your customers look at face expressions, look for the ones that are there to buy, be up front ask them if they are going to buy today, if they hesitate they might buy if they say no right away, walk away.  

become friends with the department sups and dm, keep it cool when they ask you to do something do it, if it's stocking just hide the cart in an aisle, make sure no one is watching, if some one snitches on you, just say you were helping out customers and you haven't had a chance till whenever a sup confronts you about it or say you forgot... fastest way to get it done top stock everything :face-devil-grin:  

you can get away with a lot of shit if you become "cool" with the sups...... i do:face-devil-grin: and i dont like the dumb ass sups that think they are "cool" because they are sups.... come on!, i find it funny... and it is very easy to play the sups :face-devil-grin: :face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin:
  8.  permalink
    If I remember right, one of the DMs in our store got the boot after treating his associates like crap.  

In any case, here's the thing. People complain moreso than anything. And on the internet, you will find 10 complaints to every one compliment. I, personally, have fun working at Fry's. You HAVE to find a way to have fun at your job, or else, you will hate your job. Plain and simple. If all you do is complain about your job, it effects you. Fortunately, most of them at Duluth location is gone (in Computers that is).  

*scratches head* I can't think of obnoxious supervisors or managers at Duluth. They treat us fairly well. Heck, we mess with each other half the time.  

And sales. Trust me, you will definitely be making more than $11/hour. As what the other guy said. 3 monitors and you are golden. Oh... and 8 an hour? How the... we are still on $6.15/hr + Commission. The supervisors make $8/hr + Commission.Why is there an S in Lisp?
  9.  permalink
    That Guy in Duluth: If I remember right, one of the DMs in our store got the boot after treating his associates like crap.  

In any case, here's the thing. People complain moreso than anything. And on the internet, you will find 10 complaints to every one compliment. I, personally, have fun working at Fry's. You HAVE to find a way to have fun at your job, or else, you will hate your job. Plain and simple. If all you do is complain about your job, it effects you. Fortunately, most of them at Duluth location is gone (in Computers that is).  

*scratches head* I can't think of obnoxious supervisors or managers at Duluth. They treat us fairly well. Heck, we mess with each other half the time.  

And sales. Trust me, you will definitely be making more than $11/hour. As what the other guy said. 3 monitors and you are golden. Oh... and 8 an hour? How the... we are still on $6.15/hr + Commission. The supervisors make $8/hr + Commission.

Which DM was that Carl, Anthony, Kendal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    forteen:
    calculon: Because they're lazy.  

Pay attention.  
    Help everyone in sight.  

i'm a new member here, hello to all. I work at fry's about 3 years now  

i think my tips might be a little better for sales....  

don't help every customer you might end up with some hard headed dumb ass customers and waste your time, if it's one of those.. tell them that you are with another customer and send them to the podium, then go to another customer.  

learn to pick your customers look at face expressions, look for the ones that are there to buy, be up front ask them if they are going to buy today, if they hesitate they might buy if they say no right away, walk away.  

become friends with the department sups and dm, keep it cool when they ask you to do something do it, if it's stocking just hide the cart in an aisle, make sure no one is watching, if some one snitches on you, just say you were helping out customers and you haven't had a chance till whenever a sup confronts you about it or say you forgot... fastest way to get it done top stock everything :face-devil-grin:  

you can get away with a lot of shit if you become "cool" with the sups...... i do:face-devil-grin: and i dont like the dumb ass sups that think they are "cool" because they are sups.... come on!, i find it funny... and it is very easy to play the sups :face-devil-grin: :face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin:

Damn right, I had this "IM GOING TO PURCHASE THIS COMPUTER CAN SOMEOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME" look and no one left their shitty non-buying customers to help me, then later those customers walked off. Because man, people make it TRANSPARENT when they have DECIDED on a computer to buy. You can help the indecisive to an extent, but you need to push indecisive to BUY. People WANT to be sold. This one couple was being led around as if it was a car dealership and they wanted to test drive each computer. Why not ask a few questions, pretend to know the answer and walk them "Straight to" the one for them? Say I think there are two computers that would be PERFECT FOR YOU. Not, here's this.... oh.. that to... sure you can look at...  

Im rambling here, but point being, I did end up getting help from this cutie who has helped us before, but it took way too long, anyone coulda made that commission, they lost out.Superhero!
  10.  permalink
    meinside100:
    That Guy in Duluth: If I remember right, one of the DMs in our store got the boot after treating his associates like crap.  

And sales. Trust me, you will definitely be making more than $11/hour. As what the other guy said. 3 monitors and you are golden. Oh... and 8 an hour? How the... we are still on $6.15/hr + Commission. The supervisors make $8/hr + Commission.

This is a while back. Ben I believe. The DM for Components. Then again, it is what I heard. Not sure if it is true or not. Carl, Anthony, and Kendall are pretty cool.Why is there an S in Lisp?
  11.  permalink
    That Guy in Duluth: ... Oh... and 8 an hour? How the... we are still on $6.15/hr + Commission. The supervisors make $8/hr + Commission.

Minimum wage in CA is $8 an hour.  

I highly recommend this job from your position- if you don't like the commission, there's a lot of people in Returns trying to get into Sale, which makes $11 an hour if you want your old salary back... Tell the CS DM that you want to transfer to that department and leave Sales. One of the people Returns would gladly take your spot. Anyhow, if you are a good salesperson, you will probably do well and see it on your checks.  

It's true that you will have to please your supervisors and managers, but isn't that true for any job? Just do your best, feel good about it, and do what you love. Though I am a 'lousy' cashier making only $8 an hour, and they want me to get all these Fry's card applicants and stuff- I really enjoy my job. Everything I do in there, is like a game- A day of no work, is a boring day. Though I can make more by 'cherry picking' and getting the big sales, I'd rather get the Fry's cards because it's more competitive at my store, and the supervisors and managers really like it... I could probably get into a higher position and was even thinking of applying for a supervisor position, but I'm really content where I am at.  

It's your call, I would recommend it if you are getting paid $11 at your old job. If you don't like it, it'll be easy to get back into Returns and make $11 again.  

In regards to the comment about Kathy, I hope you aren't talking about the one in Fremont- because she is a really good person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Who here makes over $30/hour on average?
  12.  permalink
    That Guy in Duluth:
    meinside100:

This is a while back. Ben I believe. The DM for Components. Then again, it is what I heard. Not sure if it is true or not. Carl, Anthony, and Kendall are pretty cool.

Ben quit...he got a better job.
  13.  permalink
    asdf: Who here makes over $30/hour on average?

Only the SM and ASM make that.
  14.  permalink
    meinside100:

Not at the San Diego Store. The top sellers in computers and video make atleast a $1200 a week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    SDCherryPicker:
    meinside100:

Not at the San Diego Store. The top sellers in computers and video make atleast a $1200 a week.

But who here makes $12250 in gross pay in one month?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    SDCherryPicker:
    meinside100:

How many people do that in computers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    AyaHu:  
    Damn right, I had this "IM GOING TO PURCHASE THIS COMPUTER CAN SOMEOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME" look and no one left their shitty non-buying customers to help me, then later those customers walked off. Because man, people make it TRANSPARENT when they have DECIDED on a computer to buy. You can help the indecisive to an extent, but you need to push indecisive to BUY. People WANT to be sold. This one couple was being led around as if it was a car dealership and they wanted to test drive each computer. Why not ask a few questions, pretend to know the answer and walk them "Straight to" the one for them? Say I think there are two computers that would be PERFECT FOR YOU. Not, here's this.... oh.. that to... sure you can look at...  

Im rambling here, but point being, I did end up getting help from this cutie who has helped us before, but it took way too long, anyone coulda made that commission, they lost out.

Actually being there for as long as I can... I can tell who is buying and who isn't.. I can do so pretty accurately as accurate as it can get. There is a certain look a customer has that is looking to buy rather than just looking at computers.. There is 4 basic groups of customers.. A) Those who are definitely there to buy something now.. B) Someone who may be shopping around but is just looking for something to be sold on.. C) Someone who is not planning to buy, but just there to ask questions about items. and D) Someone there just to play with the computers (especially happens on the Apple computers)  

Group D is the easiest to spot. They merely just walk up to a computer and just start playing with it without even looking at the price nor reading the specs..  

Group A is the easiest to sell to.. They are bound to walk out with something.. and will pretty slow at moving from piece to piece.  

Group B is a good group but they will most likely be seen looking around at all the variety and checking out prices..  

Group C, you just want to avoid. They can be a little tricky.. they either look like a shopper or they may just walk up to you and start asking questions.. even if you are in mid-sentence with another customer.  

But there is a lot of mannerisms shoppers have that do show to whether they are buying or not.. If you can pick them out.. it's helpful if you read it correctly. Although Ayahu is right about one thing.. You cannot tell whether they'd be buying from you.. or even today. That would be answered while you talk to them, if you actually listen to what they have to say.  

As for your trip, Ayahu, I am surprised that you went that long with no one approaching you to help you.. Normally, a beautiful girl would be approached and asked if they needed assistance whether or not they looked like they were buying or not.. and most likely by most male sales people there..  

Extra Note: Another bad sign is a customer walking fast in a straight bee line towards you.. I'm sure some people here can tell you what that means.. :)  

But my point is.. there are certain mannerisms that people show off, subconscientously(sp?), that show their intentions.. It's a matter if you can read their minute signs.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    Don't forget racial profiling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009 edited
    Sasquatch: Don't forget racial profiling.

mexicans = psc  

Asians.... forget about it..  

:P  

although Mexicans are more likely to buy a psc than an Asian..  

You mean like that?  

But then.. I don't care too much what race they are.. just what are they are looking at.. :)Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    someone:
    Sasquatch: Don't forget racial profiling.

mexicans = psc  

Asians.... forget about it..  

:P  

although Mexicans are more likely to buy a psc than an Asian..  

You mean like that?

also  

asians = cheapLas Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12