Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPrincess
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008 edited
    Fry's doesn't sell HDMI to VGA cables or Firewire to USB adapters according to many tech sites, you simply can't convert a pure digital signal to analog. However since I get people asking for this stuff on a daily basis I decided to do my own research online. Low and behold, Ebay has all kinds of cables and adapters at dirt cheap prices too. I've told my supervisors about the existance of these cables and they still say that "it won't work".  

Now I wanna know you all's opinion. Yay or nay?  

Amazon has cheap HDMI signals convert to VGA signals here  

Or maybe the opposite... here's a unit to convert VGA signals to HDMI signals, upversion VGA to HDMI, here  
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    While we don't have HDMI to VGA, we do have HDMI to DVI, which can then be coupled with a DVI to VGA adapter. Straight up HDMI to VGA cables exist, we just don't carry them. As far as Firewire to USB, that actually does not exist. These are two very different protocols. What I would like to see us carry are RCA to VGA adapters. Customers ask for them frequently, specifically for using a computer monitor with the security DVR's we carry. I'm sure if we stocked them we would sell a dozen a week, easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    yep you would but frys is stupid like that because gq doesnt make themLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorPrincess
    Sasquatch: While we don't have HDMI to VGA, we do have HDMI to DVI, which can then be coupled with a DVI to VGA adapter. Straight up HDMI to VGA cables exist, we just don't carry them. As far as Firewire to USB, that actually does not exist. These are two very different protocols. What I would like to see us carry are RCA to VGA adapters. Customers ask for them frequently, specifically for using a computer monitor with the security DVR's we carry. I'm sure if we stocked them we would sell a dozen a week, easy.

Thanks for the reply Sas. check this out on Ebay. Firewire to USB how about that. Also vga to s-video/rca dongles and of course hdmi to vga cables.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-IEEE-1394-4-PIN-FIREWIRE-TRAVEL-CABLE-5-feet_W0QQitemZ280285913343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item280285913343&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308  

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGA-TO-TV-RCA-S-VIDEO-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-CABLE-PC-LAPTOP_W0QQitemZ380078007484QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item380078007484&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-1-8M-HDMI-Male-to-VGA-HD-15-Male-Cable_W0QQitemZ250317117521QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250317117521&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308  

I tell people everyday that these cables don't exist. Seeing this makes me feel kind of stupid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    http://www.redferret.net/?p=3364  

"Wow, a USB to Firewire cable. Jolly useful, although it’s only for camcorder video use.  

‘The Japanese peripheral maker Pixela has developed a new type of USB video cable that transfers raw DV from a FireWire camcorder to a typical Hi-Speed USB host desktop or notebook, and vice versa.’"  

There is a rare beast out there, but it's use is extremely limited. It does not exist in the sense people hope it exists for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    ok how about external sata to parallel printer port?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Now you're just screwing with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Firewire to usb been out for a long time.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    Princess:
    Sasquatch: While we don't have HDMI to VGA, we do have HDMI to DVI, which can then be coupled with a DVI to VGA adapter. Straight up HDMI to VGA cables exist, we just don't carry them. As far as Firewire to USB, that actually does not exist. These are two very different protocols. What I would like to see us carry are RCA to VGA adapters. Customers ask for them frequently, specifically for using a computer monitor with the security DVR's we carry. I'm sure if we stocked them we would sell a dozen a week, easy.

Thanks for the reply Sas. check this out on Ebay. Firewire to USB how about that. Also vga to s-video/rca dongles and of course hdmi to vga cables.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-IEEE-1394-4-PIN-FIREWIRE-TRAVEL-CABLE-5-feet_W0QQitemZ280285913343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item280285913343&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308  

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGA-TO-TV-RCA-S-VIDEO-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-CABLE-PC-LAPTOP_W0QQitemZ380078007484QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item380078007484&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-1-8M-HDMI-Male-to-VGA-HD-15-Male-Cable_W0QQitemZ250317117521QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250317117521&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308  

I tell people everyday that these cables don't exist. Seeing this makes me feel kind of stupid.

Check out Amazon there are way better deals there.  

This is only compatible with gfx cards that support VGA to S-Vid.  
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VGA-TO-TV-RCA-S-VIDEO-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-CABLE-PC-LAPTOP_W0QQitemZ380078007484QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item380078007484&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308  

Can a trust a cable that comes from hong kong?  
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-IEEE-1394-4-PIN-FIREWIRE-TRAVEL-CABLE-5-feet_W0QQitemZ280285913343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item280285913343&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308  

Well HDMI downvert to VGA cheaply is possible. But the other way is way expensive.  
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    AyaHu: Firewire to usb been out for a long time.

Har har har.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPrincess
    So I took a vga male to dvi-i male and plugged in an female dvi-i to male hdmi adapter. Hooked up a random hp desktop to a 24" gateway monitor with HDMI input. and NO SIGNAL.  

So I'm gonna say that those cables on Ebay don't work. I figure they sell them so cheap that people won't bother paying the return shipping and going through the hassle of returning the item.  

SO if anybody asks...just tell them IT DOES NOT WORK!  

Now wasn't this thread more informative than V-con? :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Except you don't want your customers shopping on Ebay. hehe
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    asdf: Except you don't want your customers shopping on Ebay. hehe

Have them buy one of those cables there, and they may never do so again.. ;)I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon

That has to be the stupidest answer ever. I hope you don't tell that to customers.  

Go read up on the differences between DVI-I and DVI-D then come back and say that statement again.  

DVI-D to HDMI exists because they are the same signal (aside from the audio carried on the HDMI connector). They're both digital signals and the form (connector plug) can be easily adapted from one to another.  

DVI-I to VGA adapters exist because the 4 pins around the horizontal bar on the DVI connector (that only exist on the DVI-A or DVI-I connector) carry the analog signal. These pins do not exist on the DVI-D connector and the combination of the two will not result in any signal whatsoever.  

HDMI to VGA converters do exist out there somewhere on the tubes, but they're usually quite expensive (around $160). Please don't try to tell customers they can get their VGA laptops to hook up to their HDMI tv's (or the other way around) with connectors that wont even connect together. Even if they do connect, as stated above, they won't work at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Meh. I give many customers many answers, I'm bound to be wrong sometimes. I don't work in that department so I'm not dealing with cable/adapter questions on a frequent basis. Up until now, I wasn't aware of multiple DVI standards, thanks for the info. However, if you really think that is the most stupid answer ever, you clearly haven't been paying attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    People don't believe me when I say it cost lots of money to get a VGA to Coax OR VGA to HDMI adapter. They always think there is cheap and small adapter that does it. I send them to the A/V department "they absolutely right and know everything"
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    asdf: People don't believe me when I say it cost lots of money to get a VGA to Coax OR VGA to HDMI adapter. They always think there is cheap and small adapter that does it. I send them to the A/V department "they absolutely right and know everything"

I wish I could through a brick wall at those customers because you'd stand there telling them something.. then they will try to contradict you... I just wonder why in the world are they standing there trying to tell someone who works in a store what they have on the shelves.I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Someone asked me about converting ISA to PCI-Express the other day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    Sasquatch: Someone asked me about converting ISA to PCI-Express the other day.

lol. Someone asked me for PCI to USB.  

I also have people still asking for serial ports PCI card.  

The only decent thing you can buy in a PCI form factor is a pci video card
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    PCI to USB, show them a PCI usb card. Now if they're asking for the other way around, you can laugh.  

And there are still valid reasons to have a serial port PCI card. Many people still have legacy hardware out there that only uses a serial interface. Simply show them the SYBA card in Dept #1 and go on with your life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch:

Har har har.

Google headlines told me about this at LEAST three weeks before the post.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    i still say someone should make bnc to sas converter.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    AyaHu:
    Sasquatch:

Har har har.

Google headlines told me about this at LEAST three weeks before the post.

Dirty, dirty lies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Suzukiman: i still say someone should make bnc to sas converter.

I prefer BNC to SASS. Serial Attached Super SCSI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    you know sas and a few other abreviations are simply a set of compressed abbreviations I wonder when we are going to start forgetting what they all mean.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorCFly
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    I saw this thread and couldn't help but add my two cents. VGA to HDMI cables WILL NOT WORK! VGA is a purely analog signal and HDMI is a digital signal. A cable will not magically convert a signal from analog to digital. In order to make this work you have to use an analog to digital signal converter. There are quite a few available these days that will do exactly that. They'll take your VGA signal and the audio from your computer and convert them into an HDMI signal compatible with your TV.  

I would recommend that you check out this VGA to HDMI converter explanation page: VGA to HDMI  

That page shows an example of the type of converter you'd need to accomplish this.
  1.  permalink
    Thanks for the info CFly, good stuff.
  2.  permalink
    At one point Fry's carried a HDMI to VGA adapter in the computer department... yes it involved a box and was made by Atlona. It is small and cost around $130 or more!! It was in the video card section in the same area as external USB video cards. It had a HDMI Input and a VGA output with optical audio output stripped from the same signal. Not sure if it maintains all of the audio codecs from the HDMI connector when it's brought in with optical. It was the first time I witnessed the actual conversion as a simple cable WILL NOT DO IT no matter how much a customer says it will.
  3.  permalink
    I feel like we should just put together a little one page explanation of video outputs/inputs, digital/analog, and HDCP. Page 1 of the unofficial fry's associate handbook.
  4.  permalink
    what happens if you go from:

hdmi connection --> hdmi-to-dvi adapter --> dvi-to-vga adapter --> vga cable --> vga input?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010
    calculon:

That has to be the stupidest answer ever. I hope you don't tell that to customers.  

Go read up on the differences between DVI-I and DVI-D then come back and say that statement again.  

DVI-D to HDMI exists because they are the same signal (aside from the audio carried on the HDMI connector). They're both digital signals and the form (connector plug) can be easily adapted from one to another.  

DVI-I to VGA adapters exist because the 4 pins around the horizontal bar on the DVI connector (that only exist on the DVI-A or DVI-I connector) carry the analog signal. These pins do not exist on the DVI-D connector and the combination of the two will not result in any signal whatsoever.  

HDMI to VGA converters do exist out there somewhere on the tubes, but they're usually quite expensive (around $160). Please don't try to tell customers they can get their VGA laptops to hook up to their HDMI tv's (or the other way around) with connectors that wont even connect together. Even if they do connect, as stated above, they won't work at all.
  5.  permalink
    There are a lot of replies and most of it people do not know what they are talking about. There are cables that are HDMI on one end and VGA on the other. There is a specific purpose. The HDMI will go to an INPUT ( key word here people! ) device such as a DVD player and VGA is to hook up to ( the OUTPUT ) a VGA monitor. You cannot use it to go the other way around. HDMI input, VGA output. You cannot use this kind of $10 cable to plug the VGA in to something like your computer's video card or a laptop and then hook it up to the HDMI port on your TV. It only goes one way. So technically it does work, just not the way that most people want it to work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010 edited
    Guest: what happens if you go from:  

hdmi connection --> hdmi-to-dvi adapter --> dvi-to-vga adapter --> vga cable --> vga input?

HDMI to DVI = loss of audio  
    DVI to VGA = digital to analog signal  
    VGA to VGA Cable = lossy, but not noticeable  
    VGA Cable to VGA input = you get a signal  

This configuration is fine. Its simply digital to analog.
  6.  permalink
    HDCP fail:  
    HDMI-->Analog  
    One reason for DVI-D is that it generally supports HDCP, whereas DVI-A does not. Anything outputting HDMI requires it. While some DVI to VGA situations will work, anything content protected or involving HDMI will not work. On almost any consumer gear with digital video output or input, HDCP is a given these days. So no, it PROBABLY won't work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    yes i forgot about the whole HDCP thing. but you can now decrypt HDCP so everything should be find
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 9357
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    I found a cable that goes from HDMI to VGA.

I want to go from a Cable Box (or PS3) to a 42inch Sony Plasma (circa 2003) that only has 2 15-HD (VGA) and one S video.

Will this cable work?
  7.  permalink
    HDMI to VGA or VGA to HDMI requires a converter(big box), not a cable. There are converters out there, but they're really expensive and quality isn't as great, since you're covering analog to digital. You're better off not being a cheap person and actually upgrading the device to HDMI, it will actually help you in the long run. Some people don't understand this and will rage. Go be cheap somewhere else, thank you come again.
  8.  permalink
    The real question to ask yourself is: What are you trying to accomplish with all the video screens, adapters, cables, analog signals, digital signals, conversions, switches, etc.? Maybe it's not worth all the trouble. And if it really is that important, there's probably an easier way--I'm sure someone has already invented an app or doo-dad for that. If it's human intelligence you're trying to communicate--less video, not more video is the way to go. Of course, maybe you're just trying to win the geek trivia contest, which may have some use as a byproduct to the people you are supposed to be selling your products to, but your technical expertise is more frustrating than impressive to the rest of the world. Make it easy, or no one will ever bother.
Add your comments