Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    I "had" to make a trip to Fry's (FYI, the NW Houston Fry's). My wife's laptop hard drive crapped and I needed a IDE to USB cable to see if I could get the fool thing to boot and get the data off. Fry's actually had one...but.... The box "looked" to be factory sealed, but when I got home and opened it up I found that it was a restock - the CD with the drivers was cracked, the actual connector was also broken. Great job Fry's. I promptly returned it and made the trek to Micro Center that had a different brand that wasn't undamaged.  

I actually wonder how Fry's stays in business sometimes....
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's Employee Admits Stealing - Milton, Georgia
    Supvervisors finally admit were in a "Recession"
    Why do customers waste our time? Ask stupid questions?
    Long time Fry's Customer would like to say his appreciations
    Full-time to Part-time. Frys is nearing the end...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    vantec is one of the best but did yoou get the data off and how did you keep from melting when you stepped though the door of fried?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    Nope...the logic board is toast. I'll check into Vantec (thanx!). The costs from place to place vary widely with lot's of "what if" charges. Once place locally charges $500 flat which I might use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    nooooo get the same hard drive or the sata version of the same hard drive and swap the board before sending it in there is a decent chance that it will run if the motor or the servo still work. ...... also feel the chips on the board if one is really hot put a heatsink on it and see if it will run about 10% will.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Interesting - thanks for the tip. It's an older Hitachi laptop drive (80gigs), so I'll see what I can find. BTW, I did put it in the freezer to see if that would help get it started (yeah...it does work sometimes) - nada - the board is toast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Suzukiman: nooooo get the same hard drive or the sata version of the same hard drive and swap the board before sending it in there is a decent chance that it will run if the motor or the servo still work. ...... also feel the chips on the board if one is really hot put a heatsink on it and see if it will run about 10% will.

Finally, something comprehensible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Fry's is just a great place to rent stuff for free!(BUY AND RETURN BABY!)Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  2.  permalink
    ObiWan: I "had" to make a trip to Fry's (FYI, the NW Houston Fry's). My wife's laptop hard drive crapped and I needed a IDE to USB cable to see if I could get the fool thing to boot and get the data off. Fry's actually had one...but.... The box "looked" to be factory sealed, but when I got home and opened it up I found that it was a restock - the CD with the drivers was cracked, the actual connector was also broken. Great job Fry's. I promptly returned it and made the trek to Micro Center that had a different brand that wasn't undamaged.  

I actually wonder how Fry's stays in business sometimes....

Don't ever trust Frys again. You even gave them a second chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Thats weird, Ive never purchased something there only to find it had already been opened. Not that I regularly go to Frys, but I did buy a laptop recently.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    oh god its an hitachi ibm sold their drive manufacturing line for a reason and hitachi was the buyer they used to be called ibm deathstars (deskstars). if when you freeze it you may also be experiencing a head crash (replacing logic board wount help) does the drive spin when its acting up or not and does it make a repeated click sound over and over and over or no clicks at all or does it make the initial seek check?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....