Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    I dont' know if this is just a rumor or the truth? Someone ellaborateFry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    I hope not.I shit trains, Now what?
  1.  permalink
    I don't think frys is closing any stores.
  2.  permalink
    flea: I dont' know if this is just a rumor or the truth? Someone ellaborate

Which Atlanta store
    •  
      CommentAuthormissycj
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Randy Fry would not close a store. He hasn't closed one in 21 years - he wouldn't close one yet. There are stores that are doing well enough to make up for the fact that those stores are not doing well, if that's the case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWow Member
    They might, the area is small and not many people go there to shop.  
    Who works in San Marcos store here...San Marcos theme is by far the best one of them all.  

Georgia St, i dont know about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    Does my signature not say it all or something?  
    I work at the San Marcos one.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    Punkzilla: Does my signature not say it all or something?  
    I work at the San Marcos one.

All I see it saying is...  

Store 25 is in San Marcos,Ca and that you shit trains.... Nothing about you working there.. ;) :face-devil-grin:I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited
    It pretty much implies I work there. :face-plain:  
    Shitting trains isn't an easy task.I shit trains, Now what?
  3.  permalink
    San Marcos isn't closing. IF ANYTHING it would be not just one Georgia store but both of them. Fry's still isn't that well known on the east coast to draw in customers. San Marcos, like I said what the most expensive store built to this day. Northern San Diego county doesn't just cater to North County....Also Riverside County from Temecula all the way up to Lake Elsinore. Why people would drive that far is beyond me, but anyway...San Marcos also had to this day again the largest profited grand opening. Plus a lot of departments are hitting projection or close to hitting today and with Circuit City closing in the area we defiantly are going to be make more money, at least enough to keep us up and running.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008
    gossipgirl025: San Marcos isn't closing. IF ANYTHING it would be not just one Georgia store but both of them. Fry's still isn't that well known on the east coast to draw in customers. San Marcos, like I said what the most expensive store built to this day. Northern San Diego county doesn't just cater to North County....Also Riverside County from Temecula all the way up to Lake Elsinore. Why people would drive that far is beyond me, but anyway...San Marcos also had to this day again the largest profited grand opening. Plus a lot of departments are hitting projection or close to hitting today and with Circuit City closing in the area we defiantly are going to be make more money, at least enough to keep us up and running.

well in Anaheim we get people driving from Big Bear or like Victorville.. but most are from orange/riverside-corona/riverside/san bernardinoI'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    We used to drive 45 minutes to the local Frys store in San Jose when I lived in Cali. Its that good.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    AyaHu: We used to drive 45 minutes to the local Frys store in San Jose when I lived in Cali. Its that good.

That's hardcore.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    Punkzilla:
    AyaHu: We used to drive 45 minutes to the local Frys store in San Jose when I lived in Cali. Its that good.

That's hardcore.

Big Bear is a 2 hour drive to Anaheim.. :) heck a drive from riverside to anaheim can take 2 hrs sometimes.I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Damn, 2 hours not quite worth it.Superhero!
  4.  permalink
    Store 38 Duluth, the one I work in, is doing pretty well so I am aware of. Not too sure about Store 32 Alpharetta, but from what I am told, they are doing well too.  

Computers Dept. for Duluth  
    Number 1 in Wireless Install Sales for the longest time.  
    Number 1 in attach rates for a month (Mid October to November).  
    Number 1 in CyberScholar as well.  

Not sure about today though.  

The Georgia stores don't get as much traffic as others because we only advertise through the Atlanta Journal Constitution and word of mouth, but we hold our own.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    That Guy in Duluth: Store 38 Duluth, the one I work in, is doing pretty well so I am aware of. Not too sure about Store 32 Alpharetta, but from what I am told, they are doing well too.  

The Georgia stores don't get as much traffic as others because we only advertise through the Atlanta Journal Constitution and word of mouth, but we hold our own.

oooh.. #1 in cyberscholar.. lol.. That must count for something... as far as #1 in wireless installs.. how computer smart do you find your customers? Just curious.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    Im the #1 loser.
  5.  permalink
    someone:
    That Guy in Duluth: Store 38 Duluth, the one I work in, is doing pretty well so I am aware of. Not too sure about Store 32 Alpharetta, but from what I am told, they are doing well too.  

The Georgia stores don't get as much traffic as others because we only advertise through the Atlanta Journal Constitution and word of mouth, but we hold our own.

oooh.. #1 in cyberscholar.. lol.. That must count for something... as far as #1 in wireless installs.. how computer smart do you find your customers? Just curious.

Yeah the Cyberscholar thing does sound stupid, but hey, it does help Fry's since Cyberscholar, I believe, is paying them money. Gives more incentive to the company I guess.  

And how computer smart do we find customers? Most at least know where the Start Menu is. Georgia has a very large retirement community, and is expected to actually beat out Florida by 2012. That being said, most of our customers are either A) Gonna give you a history of Computing or B) Just want something to look at pictures of their children/grandchildren.  

Network smart? Well, many homeowners in Georgia do not have encrypted networks within their homes. If you drive around the Residential Metro-Atlanta area with a laptop, you are BOUND to find at least a dozen networks and only 1 of them is encrypted at any given time. Dunno about other states though, but I am sure it is generally the same. Just ask if they do online banking, buying, or file sharing and go from there. That's what I do and get at least 1 Wireless Setup a week.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Mine isnt encrypted, I keep it that way so poor souls who are driving around my neighborhood looking for internet can borrow some from my super fast fiber optic uncapped bandwidth.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    i have company net muahahahahahahahaLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    AyaHu: Mine isnt encrypted, I keep it that way so poor souls who are driving around my neighborhood looking for internet can borrow some from my super fast fiber optic uncapped bandwidth.

Setup a transparent proxy so your users are using your local copy of top sites.  

Suzukiman: i have company net muahahahahahahaha

The only access I have to the network from the outside is though a reverse ssh tunnel. You can take the entire Fry's network outside.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    AyaHu: Mine isnt encrypted, I keep it that way so poor souls who are driving around my neighborhood looking for internet can borrow some from my super fast fiber optic uncapped bandwidth.

People like me could probably have your credit card information in under an hour. Be careful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008 edited
    Sasquatch:

People like me could probably have your credit card information in under an hour. Be careful.

It's all good, they can take it, good luck trying to spend money on MY credit card this close to Xmas. Haw.  

Its about as safe as giving your info to the cashier... they had that whole problem where someone hacked into.. jc penny I think, and got everyone cc info. You're about as likely to loose it in the mall or something.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    That Guy in Duluth:  
    And how computer smart do we find customers? Most at least know where the Start Menu is. Georgia has a very large retirement community, and is expected to actually beat out Florida by 2012. That being said, most of our customers are either A) Gonna give you a history of Computing or B) Just want something to look at pictures of their children/grandchildren.  

Network smart? Well, many homeowners in Georgia do not have encrypted networks within their homes. If you drive around the Residential Metro-Atlanta area with a laptop, you are BOUND to find at least a dozen networks and only 1 of them is encrypted at any given time. Dunno about other states though, but I am sure it is generally the same. Just ask if they do online banking, buying, or file sharing and go from there. That's what I do and get at least 1 Wireless Setup a week.

Well that explains the amount of wireless installs you do... A) large retirement community.. and You probably do not get a lot of the history of computers but more How they used to walk 10 miles in a blizzard to get to school while chewing gum as japanese soldiers were firing upon them while driving ice cream trucks to explain why they need to buy a new computer today stories. b) You really have that many people with unsecured signals there? I pick up 10-15 secured signals and even a few of those are even nameless.. why? because they know how to set them up by themselves or know someone that can. Of course i still get some customers who don't know squat about it though.. but i'd reckon, you get more.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  6.  permalink
    someone:
    That Guy in Duluth:  

Network smart? Well, many homeowners in Georgia do not have encrypted networks within their homes. If you drive around the Residential Metro-Atlanta area with a laptop, you are BOUND to find at least a dozen networks and only 1 of them is encrypted at any given time. Dunno about other states though, but I am sure it is generally the same. Just ask if they do online banking, buying, or file sharing and go from there. That's what I do and get at least 1 Wireless Setup a week.

Well that explains the amount of wireless installs you do... A) large retirement community.. and You probably do not get a lot of the history of computers but more How they used to walk 10 miles in a blizzard to get to school while chewing gum as japanese soldiers were firing upon them while driving ice cream trucks to explain why they need to buy a new computer today stories. b) You really have that many people with unsecured signals there? I pick up 10-15 secured signals and even a few of those are even nameless.. why? because they know how to set them up by themselves or know someone that can. Of course i still get some customers who don't know squat about it though.. but i'd reckon, you get more.

And yep. Lots of unsecured signals here. I remember driving down a road and of the 90 some odd signals found, only 3 were secured. Most people plug in their wireless router, turn it on, see that it is broadcasting, and that's it.  

Now other things about wireless installs. Setting up a Wireless Printer is also considered a Wireless Install. A Wireless Install is basically the set up of a Router and a Computer OR a Printer and $34.99 for each additional Computer OR Printer. If a customer already has a wireless network and is buying a laptop, get one of the Printer deals on the Canon, Epson, or HP with the wireless built in and ask if they want us to setup wireless printing and network optimization for $99.99. People will bite.Why is there an S in Lisp?
  7.  permalink
    old discussion but now im really hearing lots of rumors bout 38 getting closed and shipping a lot of items to other stores...is it looking that bad over there??
  8.  permalink
    San Marcos Frys has a lot of empty shelf space and empty pegs. I'm not sure what this means, it just doesn't look good.
    Dibs on the ugly ass light in the cafe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013
    They've been talking about closing 25 since the stone age. As I understand it, it just barely breaks even each month. Fry's real problem is its business model. They insist on stocking 5 of every piece of junk known to man. As a result, you need a small army of employees to help de-confuse the customer, and that army costs a small fortune. Honestly? Fry's needs to adopt the Ikea layout. One long pathway that takes you through each department. Of course, instead of putting the fastest selling and most sought items on the end caps (to cut down on the employees needing to de-confuse customers) fry's would no doubt put the crappiest items on the end caps that need to be pushed by employees, hence the need for a small army of workers telling customers "not to buy that silly popular item that everyone wants, when you can have this awesome item over here that no one's ever heard of before with a 3 year PSC".  

It's really kind of a shame. The main problem is that Fry's has sooo much unused floor space once you start cutting down on the redundant products. I really believe that if they want to survive, then they need to come up with a whole new model, which I suspect will require them to start offering other types of products along side the electronics, as opposed to multiple versions of the same electronic gizmos. Back in the day when there was no Internet, their model of "obscurity and variety" was solid. The Internet is now here to stay however and does a FAR better job at providing that model, so they can either adapt or die (or just barely hang on from month to month as they've been doing for a while now... which will ultimately end in either adaptation or extinction).
  9.  permalink
    Lets hope for extinction.
  10.  permalink
    I am trying to find out if Fry's San Marcos, Ca is closed. no one answers the phone. They give store hours. I go online to by SD Camera Cards and it shows that none are in stock. I don't want to travel to a closed store. Does anyone know if they are closed? They have for the past few years had major lack of stock problems so I would not be surprised. Having worked retail for years. They need one third the space of that huge store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMLS
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016
    late response I know, but last I checked (last week) they were open. No one answers the phone because either no one is near it, they're busy dealing with the people that are present at the store, or they just flat out ignore it (last I heard AV dept has a habit of doing this, and most of the employees complained that AV never even answers their walkies when called on)
  11.  permalink
    We're still open (Store 25). As a sales associate from two different departments at this location, we often don't answer the phone for one of two reasons.

A) There is an abundance of customers around the podium/dept that we're helping and can't divert our attention to the phones.
    B) A solid 85% of the calls we get are customers who go on for <i>hours</i> asking associates to look up items or treat it like a customer service center for their broken product. You see, each customer call goes to a call center, which then gets transferred to our store. The customer, more often than not, is already impatient that they had to wait, so we as associates have to deal with their frustrations, when we can be making our income (I'm assuming most on this forum know we work on commission.)
  12.  permalink
    HHGreGG is closing down all its locations after failing to find a buyer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/04/07/hhgregg-close-all-stores-after-failing-find-buyer/100183284/
Add your comments