Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited
    " Commission pay is a form of slavery. Your ability to survive is based on someone else's yes and no's". Robert Reich, Clinton's Labor Secretary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Wow.. we've been through this. It's far cheaper for them to pay commission. It's not slavery, although slightly immoral, because its made for people who want to be able to exceed hourly wages, forge their own way.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    meinside100: " Commission pay is a form of slavery. Your ability to survive is based on someone else's yes and no's". Robert Reich, Clinton's Labor Secretary.

I like my commission.. :) I still make minimum wage is I sell absolutely nothing. which is what I would be making if I worked at McDonalds... If you want to get rid of commission, you must be a bottom feeder otherwise you would be making more with commission than if they didnt pay you commission.. do you really think Fry's would be paying you more than $15 an hour as a wage without commission?  

The only bad thing I do not like is the high goals they place and expect everyone to overly exceed it each and every week. And the only way to do so is to lie and cheat your way there. ANd if you don't sell certain things along with you items they deride you after every sale no matter if it was a customer that was abandoned by one of their "golden" players who figured out the customer was not going to buy a psc or any other accessory in which then you end up with selling an ad piece to them with nothing and they yap at you about it.. And of course if that customer ended up buying a high-end piece with a 5 year psc.. that original "golden" player would have either stayed or had yapped at you about getting a co-sale because it was their customer.. That's really only the bad parts really.. I still make more money at Fry's then I have had any of my previous employers... Even if I combine 2 of them per year.. i still make more when you add the commission.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  1.  permalink
    meinside100: " Commission pay is a form of slavery. Your ability to survive is based on someone else's yes and no's". Robert Reich, Clinton's Labor Secretary.

I am not saying that he didn't say this, but I can't find a source on this. I am not saying you made it up, but it seems to me that even if he did say that it seems a lot like hyperbole. While commission employees in some cases are a form of wage slave, I think that true actual slaves would find the comparison insulting. Most people in the US and the rest of the developed world can quit a job rather easily and in many cases one can get a job somewhere else. Due to the recession a lot of low skill workers are wage slaves whether they work for a fixed wage, a salary wage, commission, or some combination thereof. Therefore, the tie between commission pay a slavery seems dubious because for those without skills to find another job they are a wage slave regardless of the pay system.  

I think the most silly aspect is that Fry's isn't even a pure commission pay system anyway. Furthermore, as others have pointed out ultimately if Circuit City or any of the other stores are a guide, most employees would make less under an hourly pay system. The only people who would probably benefit are those that do the absolute minimums who should probably get fired anyways. Ultimately the success or failure of the store ultimately effects the hourly wages and number of hours that employees will receive. Except for government jobs almost everybody's pay has at least some vague relationship with both their individual success and the overall success of their organization. If a store is losing money at some point you have to cut costs, which at some point means that they will have to cut wages, cut hours, or fire people. For most organizations labor tends to be one of the biggest costs and most importantly it is one of the few costs they have a lot of control over. You can look for better prices on goods and services that you need to operate, but unless you are Wal-Mart usually most vendors will balk at your demand to sell them things for less than what you are paying now.  

While I empathize for individuals who have trouble selling things, I do think that there is a bit of skill involved in selling because some people sell more than other people week in and week out. Even if you look at the same exact hours you still see the same pattern. The chance of that happening by pure chance alone is pretty slim. I will agree that there is some luck involved in sales, but there is no doubt some skill to it as well. If you can't hack it, find another job. There are a lot of other jobs that are more rewarding financially. While there are a select few at Fry's that take home thousands of dollars per week I found that rather atypical. Most stores have nobody making that type of money because they simply don't have enough people going through the doors for that to even be probable.
  2.  permalink
    The idea behind commission is to motivate salespeople to sell more and in general, be more productive.  

If salespeople were hourly...  

1. No more (or at least not as much) focus on any services, accessories, etc.  
    2. The hardest working of salespeople gets paid about the same as the laziest of salespeople.  
    3. More complaints about customer service.  

Also, many (not all mind you) customers prefer a commissioned salesperson since the salesperson is more likely to assist the customer.Why is there an S in Lisp?
  3.  permalink
    That Guy in Duluth:Also, many (not all mind you) customers prefer a commissioned salesperson since the salesperson is more likely to assist the customer.

I have to agree with you. Commission is nice from a customer aspect as well insofar that they know that if they want help all they have to do is say that I am buying. I remember when I worked for Fry's that one guy showed me the cash in his wallet because I think he didn't think I was treating his prospective purchase seriously enough. There is obviously the downside that some employees lie like crazy, BUT as long as the employee loses his/her commission on returns and returning items that are inappropriate for the customer is fairly easy I don't think that strategy is going to be too effective. While even the best salesperson has returns on some of their sales, a non-commission sales associate has no reason to care if you keep anything or buy anything.  

There are certainly clear flaws in Fry's commission system (eg. some profitable items don't pay commission), but moving away from commission isn't the answer from a customer or an employee standpoint.
  4.  permalink
    OMG LOL. I am such a blond. I ment to comment this disscussion instead of the "Fry's Employees Lie About Making Commission On Products & Warranties" OOPS. Sad part is that I'm not even blond I'm a brunett. My mom's blond so I guess I'm just blond on the inside.
  5.  permalink
    and then I mis-spell blonde. Go me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    gossipgirl025: and then I mis-spell blonde. Go me!

But are you hot?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    I am a fake Blonde but I use it as an excuse if I make a particularly dumb remark. Which is rare. I swear.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    I have a singular gray hair. I'm so distinguished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008
    i have a singular set of ADD along with my other friends subtract multiply and divide. ....... yep working on 2 whole uninturrupted hours of sleep.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch: I have a singular gray hair. I'm so distinguished.

That's so intellectual.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    AyaHu:

That's so intellectual.

So old.
  6.  permalink
    i work at frys. the job i do for fry's i do not make commission. it doesn't motivate me, and even from a customer's perspective i don't like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    asdf:
    AyaHu:

That's so intellectual.

So old.

It's all good, I like older men.Superhero!
  7.  permalink
    " Commission pay is a form of slavery. Your ability to survive is based on someone else's yes and no's". Robert Reich, Clinton's Labor Secretary.

Robert Reich is probably a shitty salesman if he really believes that. But by all means, Fry's should definitely move to a more communist form of employment where everyone should get paid the same shitty wage. That way everyone will be encouraged to do the bare minimum. Fry's and it's customers will no longer have problems with employees working harder and smarter to make more money than their lazy and dumber counterparts. Say what you want about top salesmen, but ultimately they sell more because they're better at reading people and selling products.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008
    Guest: " Commission pay is a form of slavery. Your ability to survive is based on someone else's yes and no's". Robert Reich, Clinton's Labor Secretary.  

Robert Reich is probably a shitty salesman if he really believes that. But by all means, Fry's should definitely move to a more communist form of employment where everyone should get paid the same shitty wage. That way everyone will be encouraged to do the bare minimum. Fry's and it's customers will no longer have problems with employees working harder and smarter to make more money than their lazy and dumber counterparts. Say what you want about top salesmen, but ultimately they sell more because they're better at reading people and selling products.

Its cheaper for them to pay everyone low and offer commission. That way, you're only doing good when you're selling their shit. They take commissions into accountwhen marking their RP, so dont be fooled into believing you are getting it good. They are just saving tons and tons of money.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2008
    yep and thats why i dont work there any more:face-smile:Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  8.  permalink
    I've heard rumors about this for years, but I'm not sure if it would ever happen.
  9.  permalink
    AyaHu:Its cheaper for them to pay everyone low and offer commission. That way, you're only doing good when you're selling their shit. They take commissions into accountwhen marking their RP, so dont be fooled into believing you are getting it good. They are just saving tons and tons of money.

It is cheaper insofar as they get more work per labor dollar, but I would debate that the average salesperson is getting paid less at Fry's than say BB or CC. Commissioned salespeople sell more than those who have no clear bonus to selling things. There is an episode of the NBC show Chuck that I think demonstrates this where everyone thinks that their sales reward will be lame so they go out of their way to do as little as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009
    I didn't really understand your sentence, but at Best Buy and CC they offer higher bases and lower commissions, in order to compensate, their prices are already marked higher.  

Lets have a chart:  

Guy who doesnt work : 7$ hour practically free labour because he WILL take a customer if asked  

Guy who sells : 7$ an hour- all of the COMMISSION he thinks he is getting is CALCULATED into the sales price of the product to create an RP. He works very hard, makes himself a lot of money, still remains virtually free labour to the company.  

Guy who does a little of both: 12$ an hour .. not free labour. He gets commission but commission doesn't COST the company anything, it is a split of the profit that is automatically withdrawn, while hourly, costs the company.  

The reason commissions can vary, if you are working, say, at Fry's, is because Fry's does negotiations with wholesalers, sometimes they get better pricing than anyone else on a product because they buy in bulk or have good relationships. When that happens they can pay the salesperson more and make more profit at less than the MSRP.Superhero!