Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I love fry's for their low prices compared to many other stores, however whenever I take my computer their to get repaired or serviced it always takes forever.  

I understand some of you work at Fry's and I wanted your advice on what to do.  

My computer has been at Fry's for 15 days now. I have called every three days and checked on the status and have gotten a different answer everyime. "They just assigned a tech to it"..."It hasn't been looked at yet"  

They always say they're going to call me back but they haven't called back ever...not in 15 days lol.  

I wanted to know if there was a certain manager I could go to and get this settled. I spoke with someone on the phone yesterday and he was very rude to me. He said he would call me back by 4, he didn't of course so i called a 5. He was annoyed that I called back and said he as too busy and that he would call back later that night.....of course he didn't.  

So what would you guys advise? I'm thinking about just going down there. I'm not the type to raise hell and I know they've been busy. but 2 weeks without even diagnosing it?  

Thanks in advance :)
  2.  permalink
    If its not a big repair/order you get put to the back on the line. Someone who is having a whole computer built will be put first on the pecking order while someone who is having memory put in gets put last.....and a lot of times the techs dont know what they are doing. Some of the techs come from cashier, returns ,etc take the A+ exam and off they go to service.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009 edited
    well i used to work in the service department which one did you send your computer to if it is hamilton i may be able to help. There is one condition i have found will speed up or slow down the work when i was there i would do dirt slow and shoddy work of seemingly rude customers and really top notch (doesnt mean fast infact it would usually take longer but the customers would generally return to see me only for other issues. infact i have customers that track me down even now that im out of fried just for me to answer a question or reinstall windows) work for cool customers even if i never returned a phone call. to be truethfull on a couple of occasions i was talking on the phone helping a customer at the front desk while reinstalling windows at my desk and i had a list of 10-25 new assigned computers and usually about another 10 works in progress. so 20-30 computers that are supposed to be finished in 2 days yeah right. 5 computers would generally be assigned a day and every once in a while your list would go to 50 and or 0 depending on what computers you were working on.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009
    which store is the computer at.  
    is it warranty work or non warranty?  
    what is the symptoms with it what is supposed to be fixed?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  3.  permalink
    My computer all of the sudden started overheating. In the bios the CPU was hitting 240 degrees F and auto shutting down. I couldn't even get it to windows.  

So I am having them install a new fan (I didn't like my stock intel) and having them diagnose the problem.  

After they find out what's wrong I will have them put it in a new case and rebuild it for the $170. I just really want to know what's wrong.  

This Fry's is actually in Concord,CA. I just found these forums and thought I would ask a few new/old employees :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    well dont know any of the techs there but it sounds like either your fan barrings are dead and the fan isnt spinning fast enough (did it make rattly noises?) and or too much dust did you open it too see the amount of dust that it had accumulated?  

this sounds like a pretty easy fix but the most labor intensive is it a white box or brand name if it is a brand name and you say dell I will tell you there is no hope at all. NEVER BUY DELL very proprietary. if not it should be pretty simple they will remove all the parts from the case remove the heatsing install a new heatsink of your choosing i like high density finned ones they tend to be the best if you stick with coolermaster you will be fine. they will then put it in a new case after installing the heatsink then give it back to you have them boot it up in the red carpet area. also have them open the side panel if it looks like a mess then they need to redo it also make sure they installed the fans so they air flow always goes towards the back ive seen them install two fans almost back to back pointing in opposing directions just look at the curve of the fan the convex side is inlet and concave side is the exhaust on all fans. This should give you some tips i will post pictures of a sloppy build job and a neat one in a sec.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Time is money. Find out which fan is dead and buy a new fan. If its the power supply fan buy a new power supply. It's fairly simple to install.
  4.  permalink
    It's a custom build and only 6 months old. I bought all the parts from new egg and had Fry's put it together.  

I keep my case ver clean so there's no dust. The fan didn't make any noises however it didn't seem to be speeding up when the cpu started heating up.  

I bought some expensive zalman fan that should fit lol. If they say it won't fit i'll switch it out for a coolermaster. (The tech i set the order up with said she thought it would fit)  

It's not a huge job so that's why I am afraid they keep putting it to the back and are working on new system builds. However I will be getting a new case and having them set it up.  

I honestly should have just bought the new case and had them charge me the system build and then diagnose the problem.  

I miss my computer :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009 edited
    here are pics ill let you decide which ones are the bad and which are the good lets just say the computer should look as if it wasnt plugged in the more you can make visible the better the air flow and the higher the reliability. There are 3 good ones and 3 bad ones make sure all the cables are tied away and hidden you should see 0 loose cables you should be able to pick the case up from most of the cables and there should be a profuse number of zipties used.

680ibuild066yk4.jpg

hpim1363xd7.jpg

P1060313Medium.jpg

koolloom.jpg

pc.jpg

SlashDev01.jpg
    Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  5.  permalink
    lmao mine looks like the last one on the end. And fry's even set it up >< It went 6 months without ever overheating through, and I always keep it clean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    lol turbulance is only good in an intake manifold on a car using a carburetor. Just make sure they do it right this time.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009
    corvettex007: lmao mine looks like the last one on the end. And fry's even set it up >< It went 6 months without ever overheating through, and I always keep it clean.

Damn.Superhero!
  6.  permalink
    I agree with "Disappointing "! I live 40 miles from Frys, and bought a laptop from them with the 5 year warranty. As a nonprofit program, I wanted to ensure we had a plan if our only laptop was in repair. For the second time now I have been extremely let down by the tech support,and warranty service. I was told by the tech checking the computer,that my motherboard was gone in my laptop. They said they had no idea when the laptop would be looked at but it could be awhile. They would not allow me to take a loaner until the following day inspite of their telling me it would be days, maybe a weeks before they were able to even check the computer, and replace the motherboard. This meant another 80 miles round trip for me.
    3wks later I got a call that the computer had a software problem, which was not covered by the warranty, I now owe them 70$. While in the store to pick up my computer, & return the loaner they still couldn't get my computer online which was the reason i took it in to begin with. The manager was rude, and they said i t would be an additional 60$ to restore my hard drive, which was now being suggested. If this didn't work then i could bring it back for a motherboard replacement.
    I spoke to HP and was told it proably was my motherboard,since my dvd/cd drive is not working either. What a sorry excuse for customer care. Yes they have great prices, and salesperson, but the followup sucks!!!!!!!!!! Horrible experience. I will never buy another item from them. Any advise?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    Guest: I agree with "Disappointing "! I live 40 miles from Frys, and bought a laptop from them with the 5 year warranty. As a nonprofit program, I wanted to ensure we had a plan if our only laptop was in repair. For the second time now I have been extremely let down by the tech support,and warranty service. I was told by the tech checking the computer,that my motherboard was gone in my laptop. They said they had no idea when the laptop would be looked at but it could be awhile. They would not allow me to take a loaner until the following day inspite of their telling me it would be days, maybe a weeks before they were able to even check the computer, and replace the motherboard. This meant another 80 miles round trip for me.  
    3wks later I got a call that the computer had a software problem, which was not covered by the warranty, I now owe them 70$. While in the store to pick up my computer, & return the loaner they still couldn't get my computer online which was the reason i took it in to begin with. The manager was rude, and they said i t would be an additional 60$ to restore my hard drive, which was now being suggested. If this didn't work then i could bring it back for a motherboard replacement.  
    I spoke to HP and was told it proably was my motherboard,since my dvd/cd drive is not working either. What a sorry excuse for customer care. Yes they have great prices, and salesperson, but the followup sucks!!!!!!!!!! Horrible experience. I will never buy another item from them. Any advise?

Before you make the trip why not you just call the store.
  7.  permalink
    Guest: I agree with "Disappointing "! I live 40 miles from Frys, and bought a laptop from them with the 5 year warranty. As a nonprofit program, I wanted to ensure we had a plan if our only laptop was in repair. For the second time now I have been extremely let down by the tech support,and warranty service. I was told by the tech checking the computer,that my motherboard was gone in my laptop. They said they had no idea when the laptop would be looked at but it could be awhile. They would not allow me to take a loaner until the following day inspite of their telling me it would be days, maybe a weeks before they were able to even check the computer, and replace the motherboard. This meant another 80 miles round trip for me.  

Many apologies about the issue.  

From what I am noticing from your complaint, both HP and Fry's are unsure as to what the problem is. Yes, the most probable reason is the motherboard, however, several problems have been caused by software issues as well. That said, this could explain the whole software issue. If this software issue doesn't fix the problem, then they will replace the motherboard. Fry's wants to avoid replacing that only because Fry's has to pay for the cost of both the parts and the labor, which can exceed $400 on a laptop. That is kind of pricey.  

Anyway, if you want, you can contact corporate and give them your experience. Your purchase receipts should have the contact information. They should be able to take care of your problem.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    go back tell them i want it sent to hp!! and since you said it would take more than 1 day I want my loaner as per your contract for the loaner and the loaner policy says if it takes more than one day i can have a loaner!!!! try that.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorisrael75
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009
    if you have phone to unlocked you can visit this website www.fast-unlocking.com and i unlocked my blackberry then the code is 100% working
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009
    israel75: if you have phone to unlocked you can visit this website www.fast-unlocking.com and i unlocked my blackberry then the code is 100% working

lolSuperhero!
  8.  permalink
    israel75: if you have phone to unlocked you can visit this website www.fast-unlocking.com and i unlocked my blackberry then the code is 100% working

That... was totally random.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    And amusing.Superhero!