Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMikeLong
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009
    I saw an Onkyo TX-SR876S AV receiver at the Fry's store in Duluth, GA today. It is a display item and it is on sale for $499.99, the original price was $1249.00. The sales guy told me I could by the item and get the extended warranty on it, and if I had any problems they would just swap it out , even if they didn't carry the product anymore I could get the next available model. I was wondering if this sounded like a good deal or complete bullshit, hope somebody can provide some insight. Does fry's have any problems honoring their extended warranty/contract on display items.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    What items is it worth to get the Fry's Warranty on?
    "You Really Need This Extended Warranty on Your Laptop", "I have Bills to Pay!"
    Extended Warranty for Sony DSLR
    Fry's Extended Warranty Process - 62" DLP HDTV
    Extended Warranty- Can I get check for replacement
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    MikeLong: I saw an Onkyo TX-SR876S AV receiver at the Fry's store in Duluth, GA today. It is a display item and it is on sale for $499.99, the original price was $1249.00. The sales guy told me I could by the item and get the extended warranty on it, and if I had any problems they would just swap it out , even if they didn't carry the product anymore I could get the next available model. I was wondering if this sounded like a good deal or complete bullshit, hope somebody can provide some insight. Does fry's have any problems honoring their extended warranty/contract on display items.

They shouldn't have any problems unless they deem the problem to be "physical damage" even if it was physically damaged while being on demo...of course there will always be people who say.. "dont buy the psc" or even the demo..  

Personally, I stay away from buying demos.. unless I'm sure it's in pretty good shape and feel i'm comfortable buying a demo.. I'd probably see if there is anything close to that price that gives the same quality.. As far as that PSC goes.. how much is it and do you think you'd ever need it.. If it breaks down in 1 year.. do you feel like that you can just throw it away and buy a new one?Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Important Safety Tip: Don't buy big ticket items (defined as anything beyond a Coke or candy bar) from Fry's. Their materials handling is atrocious to begin with, and even if they offer an "extended warrenty", they'll find a way to weasel out of it.
  2.  permalink
    Honestly, I would never trust the demos, even with an extended warranty unless I completely understood it. I'm one of those people who reads documents word by word, making sure that it is exactly what or want.  

With some of the sales associates, you never know if you are dealing with one who could be lying, or another that may not know the details of the PSC... well, to be fair, you could be dealing with a super awesome sales associate. The thing is, is that you just don't know.  

So if you are going to get this camera, I would either do one of two things.  

OPTION #1: You get the details on the PSC ON PAPER, and decide whether or not they are satisfactory. Remember, if you are going to be returning this product or getting it fixed, the DM of that department will have to go with what is written on paper, not what you verbally went through with the sales associate, or even the supervisor for that matter.  

OPTION #2: You get the camera with PSC, and you get the AV DM, or CS DM, or Service DM, or ASM, or SM to sign on that paper that it is fully covered for any of your needs such as replacement. If they are unwilling to sign or prove to you that it's fully covered, it's because it's not fully covered. If they are willing to sign and it's not fully covered, you have their signature- and they the top important people at that store, who will have to honour it.  

Be careful speaking the any DM though, they are definitely good at their job. How do you think they got to their position? I'm not implying that they lie or anything, but they are pretty good at wording things in a convincing manner, when it may mean something else. Definitely make sure everything is recorded on paper, signatures to verify or confirm that the information is true and in your favour.  

In the end though, my firm recommendation would simply be to go for another camera or avoid getting a new camera. With that kind of money, it's better to just play it safe.  

Best of luck with your new camera or saved up money!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009 edited
    OPTION #3: Purchase it elsewhere and save yourself the headache  

Note to Joshua - he was purchasing an Onkyo demo receiver, not a camera. FWIW, buy camera equipment from a reputable camera store, NEVER Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    um some of the cokes and candy bars have been sitting in warehouses for longer then the expiration date so be careful about buying edibles from fried too.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Good point. I guess that means the smart person avoids Fry's all together.
  3.  permalink
    ObiWan: Note to Joshua - he was purchasing an Onkyo demo receiver, not a camera.

Whoops, was 5am PST so wasn't quite paying attention. Still, the point stands, demos suck... and PSCs aren't worth anything unless know exactly what they do and what they cover, or if you can get a DM+ to sign it saying it'll cover it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009 edited
    hey obi even josh says something sucks to buy at fried ........ granted the demos are the worst of the worst but atleast you wount get a odd strain of polio from the cafeteria because someone didnt wash their hands. anyone notice there is this discoloration at the bottom of their coke bottles that is sugar that has separated from the rest of the drink creating multiple layers you can use to judge its shelf age like rings on a tree. the coolest thing is a-holes like me would poke holes in the wrappers with rusty old nails found in the frys bathroom makes you think twice before buying fried candy. :face-devil-grin:Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  4.  permalink
    The only thing worth getting a PSC on for a Open box/display item would be a camera. Atleast get a 5 year because if it fucks up 2 or 3 years down the line you can get something of equal value which in 3 years will be a hell of a lot more advanced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    SDCherryPicker: The only thing worth getting a PSC on for a Open box/display item would be a camera. Atleast get a 5 year because if it fucks up 2 or 3 years down the line you can get something of equal value which in 3 years will be a hell of a lot more advanced.

The screen will crack before then. Plus who wants to still be shooting pix with a 2MP camera from 5 years back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    asdf:
    SDCherryPicker: The only thing worth getting a PSC on for a Open box/display item would be a camera. Atleast get a 5 year because if it fucks up 2 or 3 years down the line you can get something of equal value which in 3 years will be a hell of a lot more advanced.

The screen will crack before then. Plus who wants to still be shooting pix with a 2MP camera from 5 years back?

People who don't care about printing the photos out nor care about the latest and greatest technology..Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    someone:
    asdf:

People who don't care about printing the photos out nor care about the latest and greatest technology..

These people should be banned.