Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    What a GOD AWFUL PIECE OF SHIT.  

I'll keep it short. It's a 2002-ish Fry's branded PC. The piece of shit had a generic Chinese PSU that had to be replaced (bulging caps), the plastic heatsink clip had snapped and needed to be replaced, the motherboard was a SiS-based ECS (have you ever had to deal with the drivers for those shits?), the DVD drive tray was stuck open and making a grinding sound, and the other drive (standard CD-RW) wouldn't read any CD's, so I had to pull a drive out of my system to get XP reinstalled.  

I opened the DVD drive and could not figure out why it was stuck open. I cleaned the laser on the CD drive and it helped, but it's still flaky.  

So, to conclude, to bring a 2002-era Fry's PC back to spec I had put in:  

-New PSU  
    -New Heatsink Clip  
    -New DVD drive  
    -New burner  

And the motherboard is a piece of shit ECS with capacitors from brands known to fail (OST and G-Luxon). The case is a cheap plasticky affair with a busted power switch and a front panel that won't stay on. This piece of shit is on its last legs.  

I am GLAD they don't make these shits anymore. It's like Fry's went out of their way to use components that were as shitty as possible. The only quality part in there was the Western Digital HDD. Everything else was ECS, AFT (Fans and card reader), or shitty chinese brands (Top Glory, Behavior Technology). This thing was aggravating. Getting drivers from SiS was a pain in the ass. It took about a half hour of scouring the web to find the drivers for the TV Tuner in it (PixelView/ProLink) because the manufacturers website had broken links and the audio wouldn't work without the TV Tuner properly set up, probably because of the shitty SiS chipset.  

God I hate that machine with a passion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    Reality check - Fry's sold numerous of these junkers to unsuspecting customers. They would have been better off buying eMachines (which I'd never recommend). As usual, Fry's sticks it to their customers whenever possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    agreed.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Fry's machines are never tested. Just built from the factory directly to the customer. Don't buy them and salesmen don't sell them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    Actually, when I was a salesman in dept 2, it was a mad dash to sell Fry's PC's. They mostly had great commissions, and you can tell the customer that they come with a free one year support in-store (which is true).  

Some of them were not that great, but there were a few that were nice. A couple of the last ones made had good parts in them, and were actually decent PC's. Overpriced, yes, but still decent hardware.  

If you sold a Fry's PC with a decent service contract, you were set for the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    i stole so many computer sales buy building higher quality machines whenever someone returned a computer or even passed by the service department i was doing about 5 custom builds a week.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  2.  permalink
    I came in around the last round of Fry's PCs. The last few models weren't that bad. In fact, I had customers come back to buy another one after having theirs for years.  

Sure they weren't brand name, but still decent machines spec-wise. I think we only RTV'd one or two at the time.Why is there an S in Lisp?
  3.  permalink
    Decent machines?

Maybe the later ones. But not this one. Generic Chinese drives and PSU (all of which crapped out), ECS motherboard with a SiS chipset, cheapass case that is falling apart, low-rate quality everywhere.

By comparison, my HP from the same era (funnily enough, I bought it at Fry's 15 San Diego, same as the shitty Fry's PC) had JVC and Hitachi-LG drives, a MSI motherboard with high quality Nippon Chemicon capacitors, Sunon and Delta fans that aren't loud-ass pieces of shit, and a Bestec PSU. Bestec isn't the best, but it's still kicking after nearly 7 years of heavy use. Solid, heavy case and built in Mexico not CHINA.

I've been working on that Fry's piece of shit all day today and it's given me one problem after the other either from driver support for the SiS chipset, a flaky cd drive, and having the front of the case fall off every time I touch the damn thing. Don't even try to defend it and tell me it's not a bad computer. I do occasional computer work for people and of all the machines I've ever worked on, this one takes the cake for being the shittiest computer I have ever seen and giving me the most aggravation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    Well I'm glad to see that Fry's pcs are gone.. because if we didn't sell 2 a week we had to go to some stupid meeting saturday morning to tell us how "great" they are.. Of course they paid us good commission, but that good commission is not good if it comes back later.. it's just a waste of time because if you spent time to sell it.. chances are you end up making $0 because it comes back a few weeks later. It isn't that all Fry's pcs are POS's.. it's just that out of 3-4 models they had.. only 1 would be good and not come back constantly.. and as for the later machines we had.. a couple of those had decent hardware that salespeople were requesting week after week.. like actually using a ABIT motherboard which got which of those crappy ECS motherboards..Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    BTW San Diego.. You should take down your signage advertising the Fry's PC along your wall towards your exit.. ;)Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    The newer HP systems are now using crapola ECS boards. Man how far the Frys influence has become?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    down with Extreem Crappy Shit boards i say.  

This also tells you how well Heaping Pile is doing right now. Talk about Headache Permanente, and using Extra Crappy Shit boards will make many more Hardware Problems fot the customers.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    The demand for going Green are PCs which are low-power, RoHS compliant and extremely biodegradable. Yeah "biodegradable" as in melt down in a year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    damn it gaulleefourneeuh first got rid of the good slightly noxious chemicals for stripping engines clean so now all you can do is steam clean them and doesnt even get the paint off. now they want biodegradable computes ?????? does anyone learn from alfa and fiat that biodegradable wires will lead to electrical failure and a possibly dangerous fire hazard? Both those car companies tries biodegradable wire insulation with good results on anything that was less than 3 years old.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  4.  permalink
    You're kidding me, HP uses ECS too now? I was in one of their newer PC's last week but it was a routine dust-out and I didn't pay attention to what was in it.  

I guess it's not cheaper to build your own anymore like it used to be... but at least you get better components.  

Anyone know if Dell's quality is suffering? They are my favorite OEM, I know that their Optiplex 7xx series has decent stuff (WD HDD's, heavy and quality-feeling PSU's, all Sanyo and Matsushita capacitors on their motherboards) and their Inspiron 5xx series too (AcBel PSU's), but I haven't cracked open any other modern Dells.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    HP doesn't use ECS. Most of their boards are ASUS (HP used the NODUSM-3, a renamed A8M2N-LA for a long time in their AMD systems) and maybe an Intel board for Intel systems. Gateway uses (or did last I checked) ECS boards though in some lower end systems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009
    dell is junk always has been if anything goes bad you pay with your nose and your wifes arm to get it fixed 2 noses if you use the left arm.  

dont buy dell besides you really want to try to talk with their customer service you may get farther in fixing your system under warranty by bringing it into frys and acting like a mime.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    You can use cpuz to see who makes the montherboard. Some HP and Compaq computers are using ECS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    but compaq is concieved of many poor asians quickly they were even a proprietary as dell at one point.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  5.  permalink
    I beg to differ Suzukiman. Dell's quality has always been very good. Much better than eMachines or other similar cheap PC's. Any OEM is gonna be expensive as hell if you pay THEM to fix your problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    but the point is you dont have a choice to use them or not for repairs they are proprietary that is why they are junk and low quality same as sony atleast sony lets you have the atx bolt pattern dell has odd clips so only that dell mobo will fit. supermicro is great uses really high quality manufacturing and is absolutely not proprietary even though they make servers. ontop of that dell uses cheaper non solid state capacitors and so doe sony only ever get a board that has solid state components tey will last alot longer.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  6.  permalink
    When was the last time you saw a dead Dell board? You don't, because they use quality capacitors on them. Everything else in the machine is standard ATX stuff. Dell used to be mostly proprietary but not anymore, except for their small form factor systems.

Also I'd take high quality lytics (Matsushita, Sanyo, Rubicon... what Dell uses) over cheap Taiwanese polymer caps any day.
  7.  permalink
    I forgot to add, quality Electrolytic caps (Panasonic/Matsushita, Rubycon, Nichicon, Nippon Chemicon, Sanyo) will outlast cheap Polymer caps any day. Did you know Polymer caps have a MTBF just like lytics do? This notion that they last forever is bullshit, the cheap ones will literally pop like a firecracker instead of bulging like lytics do.

Cheap caps are cheap caps and won't last, Electrolytic or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    well just 3 days ago i saw a dead dell board out of a dell laptop that was sold only a year ago and couldn't get warranty for it because they didn't take it out of their system it was technically still at the dell rebuild center.  

the solid stat caps can be made with higher tolerances this does mean that the motherboard manufacturer needs to buy the better quality solid state caps though not cheap ones. The highest of the high quality caps are solid state caps because of the added controll you can have during the manufacturing process.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    but that also comes down to quality check at the other end.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Guest: I beg to differ Suzukiman. Dell's quality has always been very good. Much better than eMachines or other similar cheap PC's.

:O WTF? I hope you dont work at Frys... this is stupider than anything even a Fry's worker with no english skills would say. I guess it just reinforces the idea that the average IQ is 98.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    AyaHu:
    Guest: I beg to differ Suzukiman. Dell's quality has always been very good. Much better than eMachines or other similar cheap PC's.

:O WTF? I hope you dont work at Frys... this is stupider than anything even a Fry's worker with no english skills would say. I guess it just reinforces the idea that the average IQ is 98.

He's probably on Dell's payroll... or is just a Dell fanboy.. :) I would never buy a Dell Desktop.. nor HP... mainly because I build my own.. Laptops? no need.. but I'd still stay away from hp or Dell.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    asus and IBM laptops are well built and last but there are some others just not too many.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009 edited
    someone:
    AyaHu:

:O WTF? I hope you dont work at Frys... this is stupider than anything even a Fry's worker with no english skills would say. I guess it just reinforces the idea that the average IQ is 98.

He's probably on Dell's payroll... or is just a Dell fanboy.. :) I would never buy a Dell Desktop.. nor HP... mainly because I build my own.. Laptops? no need.. but I'd still stay away from hp or Dell.

I dont think HP is bad, by far it is not better than a homemade PC. Except the one my coworker built for my work. Nothing is worse than that POS. I liked it at first, what with it's glittery CS4 master collection and big beautiful fan, but then... it sucked.  

And it kept shutting down. And the other guy here was like WTF this is a fake version of windows.  
    WOW.  

I think he slighted my boss.  

Anyways. HPs arent bad, they arent the best. Ive had a few for 4, 8, and 12 year and they are all still running strong.  

But by far: Gateway, Dell, GQ, etc.. are the worst.Superhero!
  8.  permalink
    That's quite a mouthful there Aya. Notice how I form grammatically correct sentences and use proper spelling? Can't be said for a large portion of the members here. I like to consider myself a fairly intelligent individual. And on Dell's payroll? No.

I work on many different PC's all the time, and I deal with a lot of Dells at school. They are the only brand where I see <u>consistent</u> quality from model to model. Although their boards may have proprietary mounting screws, they are always of decent quality with good Capacitors, their PSU's are usually decent, usually just decent build quality on most everything.

The same can't be said for most other OEM's. Some models have all quality parts, and others use cheap shit (HP anyone?).

I know Dell had a fuckup a few years back with Nichicon HD series capacitors on their boards, but Nichicon is a reputable capacitor brand and the fuckup really wasn't Dell's fault.

I'm open for discussion here. What's with all the hate on Dell?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    my only bar to compare computer systems to is 100% uptime and near instant processing abilities, suffice it to say there are very few computers that even come close to great and you can forget perfect. Most are between good and unusable. unacceptable status is it needs a reboot or crashes once every week or two weeks and or any piece of hardware doesn't have a brand name that is known for building parts that consistently last for a minimum of 7+ years without maintenance.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    thats another thing which falls under unacceptable is any part being even remotely proprietary I will not touch tyan because of this.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    well I dont like their service runaround they still labled one of the workers laptops as theirs and wount switch it back to the workers name and take the blame for it and fix the dead mobo on the laptop i talked with 20+ different managers i even found out that it used to be a canadian person who had the laptop repoed i also know there usa refurbishing department was the one assigned to the laptop and effectively it was never sold but they said sorry unless you have a receipt we cant put it under their name even though it obviously has been only one owner and was an obvious screw up on their part. number 2 they are extremely proprietary which means you become a return customer if you need anything fixed. and they have not had a good hardware track record there has been several class action suits for dead laptops and ive seen plenty of dead hp mobos but a class action suit even ecs hasnt had one that i know of for bad unreliable hardware that should say somthing and no obi already knows i know how to use punctuation but i refuse to anyway unless this becomes a email to a boss dont expect any commasLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  9.  permalink
    We're not talking about servers or high-end professional machines here Suzuki. We're talking about consumer machines and workstations on large networks.
  10.  permalink
    I'm not talking about the quality of their service here either son. I'm referring JUST to the quality of their machines. Customer service is a whole other world.

You'd be on crack to put GQ and Dell in the same category.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    thats what Im talking about the laptops and desktops but if you want to get into servers their servers are about 20k for the same reliability and service on a system i can build for 1k and still be able to put atx parts inside without having to use a drillpress.  

the laptop was brought to me by one of our employees for a standard cleaning of the heatsink. opened the conienient panel under the keyboard pulled out the heatsink dusted it off wiped it off put new thermal compound on and no boot afte it was all buttoned up I looked up the model and there was a class action suit for the power circuit dying on 4 or 5 different model dell laptops including this one and a different one i have sitting next to me with a dead gfx card. so called up dell and told them the situation the person was new and slipped up saying thats wierd and i asked what they said it was still registered as being refurbished at their warehouse and not our employees laptop so the runaround happened for a week and i ended up with enough info that i could take them to court and probably win without a lawyer even.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    neither are acceptable one is proprietary using mid quality parts the other uses crap for parts.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    dells never came in as much as hp but frys didnt sell them they did come in however an all we could do was turn customers into white box users because the dell would have a blown out power supply with oddball connectors and a replacement would be 150$ for a 300 watt psu talk about nuts. or the mobo would be dead or the hard drive crashed or the power switch circuit would die. granted if i had to choose between a dell and a fried pc gq sony or hp im going with the dell. still unacceptable and the other brands mentioned are completely unacceptable.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  11.  permalink
    OK now we're talking. IIRC their PSU's just had two wires crossed from ATX standard and all you had to do to convert a standard ATX PSU into a Dell one was bust out the soldering iron and wire clippers for a minute or two.

If that's really the case with their servers, then I would agree that they are mad overpriced. But then again, wouldn't any OEM server running M$ software be extremely overpriced compared to a home-built server running Linux? And we are talking about 1U rackmount servers right? Because comparing a homebuilt system in a standard ATX case to a rack server with redundant PSU's is like comparing Apples to Oranges.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    ok i can build a 8tb raid 6 system with hotswap dual gb eithernet dual yes 2 dual core xeon processors and 8 gb of memory with dual redundant 800 watt psu's running linux all wrapped un a 2u case with a toolless rail system for somewhere around 4k the same thing from dell is around 80k with 8tb of space or around 38k with their standard set of sas drives at 15k rpm. If i do sas on my setup it will be about 4.5k.  

not a single person will ever pick up a soldering iron to switch wires on a proprietary psu that even has a proprietary bolt pattern again unacceptable you need a drill press to make it conform not just a soldering iron which is bad enough.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    AyaHu:
    someone:
    AyaHu:

He's probably on Dell's payroll... or is just a Dell fanboy.. :) I would never buy a Dell Desktop.. nor HP... mainly because I build my own.. Laptops? no need.. but I'd still stay away from hp or Dell.

I dont think HP is bad, by far it is not better than a homemade PC. Except the one my coworker built for my work. Nothing is worse than that POS. I liked it at first, what with it's glittery CS4 master collection and big beautiful fan, but then... it sucked.  

And it kept shutting down. And the other guy here was like WTF this is a fake version of windows.  
    WOW.  

I think he slighted my boss.  

Anyways. HPs arent bad, they arent the best. Ive had a few for 4, 8, and 12 year and they are all still running strong.  

But by far: Gateway, Dell, GQ, etc.. are the worst.

I bet it's an ECS motherboard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Suzukiman: ok i can build a 8tb raid 6 system with hotswap dual gb eithernet dual yes 2 dual core xeon processors and 8 gb of memory with dual redundant 800 watt psu's running linux all wrapped un a 2u case with a toolless rail system for somewhere around 4k the same thing from dell is around 80k with 8tb of space or around 38k with their standard set of sas drives at 15k rpm. If i do sas on my setup it will be about 4.5k.  

not a single person will ever pick up a soldering iron to switch wires on a proprietary psu that even has a proprietary bolt pattern again unacceptable you need a drill press to make it conform not just a soldering iron which is bad enough.

You tell 'em.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    No that is how you build a bad ass cheap system. Linux with ext4 would be great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    no badass cheap is 32gb of memory and 4 quad core zeons on one of the new supermicro boards running 15k sas drives in 1+0 raid that is a nice badass cheap system about 8k only 100 gb of disk space thoughLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    you rsync that shit? What are you using this for? database?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    as a matter of fact yes we have 2 24tb servers one is a rsync snapshot system of the other both are 3 sets of 8 1tb drives raid 6 leaves us with 16tb of space then rsynced to the other system which is the same thing and may be getting 1.5tb drives instead but rhel4 only reads 16tb right now atleast that is per partition.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Nice. Man, I wish there were a revision control system like svn but for regular files.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    just use rsync and set it to back up x folder whenever anything changes its kindof a halfassed way of doing it but it would work you could have it simply append a new number on the end of the file every backup along with date stamp it.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    rsync over ssh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    yep i do beilieve thats how its done ...... on its own gb line ofcoarse. each of those machines have 3 gb cards in them 2 for the network traffic balancing across the backbone and one for the backup using rsync over ssh.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....