Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUrAwFuL
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009
    Hey guys this is my first post here and I was hoping someone could help me.  

About one year ago I bought a Canon Rebel XTi and bought a $79 three year warranty with it.  

My problem now is that the flash doesn't deploy anymore (unless I pull it out myself) and I was wondering if the warranty covers it so I can either get it repaired or replaced.  

Also I bought a HP DV2890NR Artist Edition about six month ago and also got a $179 (I think) three year warranty with that and my problem with that one is that the " _ " key snapped off and won't go back anymore. Trust me I know how to snap one back but I know for sure that it won't anymore. And I was wondering if the warranty covers that too.  

So how long do you guys think it would take to get it fixed?  

Will they even take it?  

Thanks for reading!
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    A few questions about leaving Fry's
    A few questions about store returns
    So what questions annoy you the most about the customer?
    May be getting a job with Fry's soon. Questions:
    Why do customers waste our time? Ask stupid questions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Chances are, Fried will find a way to say that you broke both, and it's not covered under the warrenty.  

If you live in SoCal, Canon has a repair facility in Irvine. Google for an authorized HP repair facility also.  

If you check through some prior posts, you'll find that Fry's reputation for repairs is horrible. Often taking months to fix something, and often getting it back without the problem being fixed. The PSC's are a waste of your money. You'll find horror stories about people bringing in their laptops to get fixed, only to get them back with some other part broken (as I recall, one person got their back with the screen broken).
  2.  permalink
    UrAwFuL: Hey guys this is my first post here and I was hoping someone could help me.  

About one year ago I bought a Canon Rebel XTi and bought a $79 three year warranty with it.  

My problem now is that the flash doesn't deploy anymore (unless I pull it out myself) and I was wondering if the warranty covers it so I can either get it repaired or replaced.  

Also I bought a HP DV2890NR Artist Edition about six month ago and also got a $179 (I think) three year warranty with that and my problem with that one is that the " _ " key snapped off and won't go back anymore. Trust me I know how to snap one back but I know for sure that it won't anymore. And I was wondering if the warranty covers that too.  

So how long do you guys think it would take to get it fixed?  

Will they even take it?  

Thanks for reading!

They will try their hardest to blame it on you. Every time there is a PSC exchange the cost of that item is taken from the daily sales of that department....and especially "NO" if the DM for that department is managing the front at that time (ie picing).
  3.  permalink
    meinside100:

They will try their hardest to blame it on you. Every time there is a PSC exchange the cost of that item is taken from the daily sales of that department....and especially "NO" if the DM for that department is managing the front at that time (ie picing).

This isn't true. The PSC is covered by our insurance company. We don't loose anything if we have to fix something.  

The camera will most likely be covered, but might take a month or so to get back. The laptop you're screwed on, because you broke the key off. PSCs do not cover physical damage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    particleman:
    meinside100:

This isn't true. The PSC is covered by our insurance company. We don't loose anything if we have to fix something.  

The camera will most likely be covered, but might take a month or so to get back. The laptop you're screwed on, because you broke the key off. PSCs do not cover physical damage.

By the time you render this all out, it's better to rely on the manufacturers warranty.
    Superhero!
  4.  permalink
    You can always try and take it in and see what they say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    For the camera, it should be covered. As long as there isn't a cracked screen, it'll pretty much be covered. At least to my knowledge it is.  
    In returns I've dealt with the lens not deploying in and out. That was covered.I shit trains, Now what?
  5.  permalink
    Camera, yes. Keyboard, no. Like SDCherryPicker said, you can always try and take it in to see what they say.  

If you don't like your warranty, I believe it is returnable but prorated after 30 days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUrAwFuL
    Thank you guys for the replies!  

Actually while waiting for replies I applied some WD-40 (using a cotton swab) on the parts that makes the flash deploy up and worked good as new.  

So I guess for now the camera is good for now. I'll observe this more later.  

As for the laptop, this is what it looks like right now. (see image below)  

Actually what's missing now is that plastic part that is under they keyboard along with that plastic spring that makes the key go up. But I have the " - " key itself.

IMG_0189.JPG
  6.  permalink
    Lol, looks like my keyboard. I'm missing the key that makes this ;:  

Still usable and easy to hit though, but the key will not pop on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUrAwFuL
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009 edited
    Joshua: Lol, looks like my keyboard. I'm missing the key that makes this ;:  

Still usable and easy to hit though, but the key will not pop on.

Yeah same here, I'm kind of used to it now. But the metal brackets might cause me a cut one day.  

EDIT: This is what it looks like now.

IMG_0285.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Careful on the WD40 - that can really screw up the camera electronics.  

I'd suggest contacting HP to see what they say. Chances are they may be able to send you a replacement key, and you can avoid being fried by Fry's....:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009 edited
    The replacement keyboard is 40 bucks. Labor, diagnostic, shipping cost far exceed this and eat up the profitability of the warranty fast. You are better off buying a new keyboard and installing it yourself. You can google this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUrAwFuL
    ObiWan: Careful on the WD40 - that can really screw up the camera electronics.  

I'd suggest contacting HP to see what they say. Chances are they may be able to send you a replacement key, and you can avoid being fried by Fry's....:face-devil-grin:

I sure hope it doesn't. I didn't really spray directly into the camera though.  

asdf: The replacement keyboard is 40 bucks. Labor, diagnostic, shipping cost far exceed this and eat up the profitability of the warranty fast. You are better off buying a new keyboard and installing it yourself. You can google this.

Good idea. I think it would be better to just invest on replacement parts rather than warranties. Man I feel like an idiot now for wasting $179 for the laptop warranty.  

Found one at : http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/i-126869-keyboard.html  

Thank you guys so much for the support! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    i fix laptop keyboard keys if you are in san jose.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    You guys need to take better care of your items! Look at all your keyboards~ Tut tut!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUrAwFuL
    Suzukiman: i fix laptop keyboard keys if you are in san jose.

That's like two hours up north for me.  

But I think I'm fine with replacing keyboards. Hopefully. But thanks for the offer though.  

AyaHu: You guys need to take better care of your items! Look at all your keyboards~ Tut tut!

Sorry. Haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    sometimes i go to hollister it should be a bit closer i want to go 4 wheeling this weekendLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    I thought I lost my phone today and started going crazy. Makes you feel naked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    I should make housecalls to get everyone clean and organized. And put their keys back into the keyboard.Superhero!
  7.  permalink
    What the fuck? I work in the service department at Fry's and we would fix both those issues. Some of you guys work at some shady ass frys stores... Anyway, yes, we would send your camera to the manufacture to get fixed if it is still within the 1year manufactures warranty and if not we just send it an authorized service center to get it fixed or the manufacture, whichever is cheaper. It does take 1-2months to get fixed but we give you a loaner camera (no charge, just need a credit card on file incase you do not bring the loaner back or your bring it back and its trashed), it is usually an 10mp emperex camera that is pretty shitty but its just something to use in the mean time, if you bitch enough we might be able to give you the same camera you brought in as the loaner.

As for your laptop, at our store we always fix laptop key issues, we would check in your laptop, order a keyboard and replace yours from the one we get from HP or if it is out of the manufactures warranty we get it from our parts supplier that gets it from HP. We could also issue you a loaner. We also can just create a ticket on your issue, order the keyboard and have you take home the laptop and call you in to bring in your laptop for us to install the new keyboard once it is in but we usually hate doing this since people are flakes in general.

One question, why did you get a warranty to turn around, not even use it and spend money to fix your issue? Fry's would make a killing if more people were like you. In general laptop warranties are worth it because so much of the laptops hardware is connected to the motherboard it is something we change all the time and the costs of motherboards for laptops can range anywhere from $150-400 just in parts.
  8.  permalink
    Wow, a customer has a question about the PSC, and instead of giving him an answer, some of you just say to take it to the manufacturer.  

The guy bought it for the convenience. Take it to Fry's. See what they say. The camera problem probably is covered since it is considered normal wear and tear. Not so sure about the laptop keyboard. I have heard it is under physical damage (which we don't cover), and I have heard it is under wear and tear (which we do).Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    unless its construed as physical plus fried sends to the manu anyway so all it will do for the customer is add time.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  9.  permalink
    LOL chris you havent changed one bit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    grtbrm? yep spelled your name without vowels for anonymity you should really read my post on my views i think they could really change mankind into ze uber race also tell the big guy that he still needs to go offroading the the samurai I will stop by there after my therapist van is finished yep the no windowed kind that has free candy written on it. going to order parts soon then more grinding to reduce weight then assembly.  

at the bottom is the post should fit me nearly to a T  
    http://frysforum.com/discussion/1327/lets-focus-o-what-really-matters/#Item_47Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  10.  permalink
    never buy pscs lol
  11.  permalink
    wireless installs are crap as well
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    unless i did them then they get the extra mile and usually tip me then i get work on the side along with diner usually.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....