Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    zesty: I just moved to Los Angeles 2 months ago and I experienced Fry's for the first time after my friend said "you have GOT to see this place..."  
    I loved it. Pure awesomeness. I want to work there, as I have no job and I already know I would be good at it.  

I'm 23, white, male, graduated from a good college (not like that really makes a difference, but I notice all the people that work there are mexican.. so maybe it does).  

Does anyone have any tips for getting hired? I have been working with computers since I was 13, I've built webpages, built computers from scratch. I'm also pretty outgoing and friendly.  

I would really like to get this job, so that's why I'm actually on a Fry's forum looking for those small differences (or Do's and Don'ts) that makes a difference between you getting hired or not.  

Thanks guys :face-smile:
    get a labotomy first:face-crying:
  2.  permalink
    I worked at Fry's for only 10 months and it left a bad taste in my mouth. But if you can ignore the abject stupidity in the bureaucratic system there (and there is, don't let anybody tell you there isn't), it pays pretty decently (here in Texas at least, I don't know what the pay in California is, but it's probably comparable). If you're fresh out of high school. Honestly it would be better to find a job better suited to your talents. But if you need a quick job, it probably pays better than the local Best Buy or pac-n-sac.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    I would be surprised if salesmen made less than twice what they get paid.
  3.  permalink
    Here is a tip. Don't write in blue pen on the application. Be able to work everyday. Have Large Breasts but not large breasts on a fat man. They have to be on a women.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009 edited
    Girls: Act like your ready to hop in bed every minute of the day
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009
    Heh, what did that say before you edited it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009
    i cant say. thats why i edited it. use your imagination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009
    I am imagining a Lego whore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcasemods
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    Hey I'm 23, Caucasian, high school drop out, currently working part time at a movie theater - hours are low right now and I need a second job - is frys good?  

I live about 15 driving, hour on light rail.

1252397082644.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    casemods - go back and get your GED  

IMHO, Frys is "good" for those that are either going to college and need part time work, or for those who have low aspirations. If you read throught these forums, you'll find many people describing just how bad Fry's culture is. If you want a second opinion, check out jobvent.com and look up Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009 edited
    Casemods - Agree with Obiwan. Are you talking about the Arizona lightrail? There are very few jobs for high school dropouts, but if you ever want something that pays pretty decently for such a thing, and are in AZ, try etelecare as a sales rep or something.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRLucky
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009
    Don't swap to sales if you're new at it. Once you're sales, that's your position, there's no dropping back down. Accessories have a somewhat "stable" position after 90 days. Before then, you can get fired for anything. In sales, they're threatening a lot more to can you if you don't meet quotas. It wasn't so strict at first after they got rid of the draw. Then it got pretty cut throat. And the fry's card threat is rediculous. Don't get the required amount, you get written up. Although, I usually waited till Sunday and then I started asking naive 18+ boys to sign up. They didn't have to get accepted. Being a female in sales made that part easy ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfryguy
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    I wholeheartedly agree with Obiwan too, at least in his first piece of advice (hey, it's a start). A GED will help you in a lot of ways beyond just getting a job. It gets harder most times the longer you wait, so as soon as you are able you should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009
    become a self certified computer guy like me. that makes much more money then fried.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Its all about certs. They prove more than a degree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    agreed that is why I am self certified.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  4.  permalink
    Sounds like I need to get certified
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    zesty: I just moved to Los Angeles 2 months ago and I experienced Fry's for the first time after my friend said "you have GOT to see this place..."  
    I loved it. Pure awesomeness. I want to work there, as I have no job and I already know I would be good at it.  

I'm 23, white, male, graduated from a good college (not like that really makes a difference, but I notice all the people that work there are mexican.. so maybe it does).  

Does anyone have any tips for getting hired? I have been working with computers since I was 13, I've built webpages, built computers from scratch. I'm also pretty outgoing and friendly.  

I would really like to get this job, so that's why I'm actually on a Fry's forum looking for those small differences (or Do's and Don'ts) that makes a difference between you getting hired or not.  

don't bother. best advice any one can give you. it's only worth it if you plan on being a lifer. and even then it's iffy.Collateral Damage
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    note that lifer is also a prison term.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  5.  permalink
    blah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    well fried prison?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  6.  permalink
    french fries
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    your just typing stuffLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  7.  permalink
    ur just realizing that
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    yepLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  8.  permalink
    your pretty slow suzuki lol:face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    ^^^^ doesnt putout much hpLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    its 1.3lLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    ?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    what you mean by ittttttLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  9.  permalink
    If you are white, speak english without an accent and not female, you are automatically disqualified. The hiring manager will ask himself if there wasn't something the matter with you why would be applying at Frys?
    It's the Catch-22 of Computer stores.
    •  
      CommentAuthornfl
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010
    Dead thread!  

And btw, I'm all of those things, and I made my way up to video supervisor before I quit to finish my degree. (sasquatch can probably figure out who I am now.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    nfl: Dead thread!  

And btw, I'm all of those things, and I made my way up to video supervisor before I quit to finish my degree. (sasquatch can probably figure out who I am now.)

No idea dude. My knowledge of AV is pretty much limited to: I dated a girl that used to work there, Randy White got fired for stealing Blu-rays, and one of my old supervisors now works there. Oh, and you have the new "Kate Moss" TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthornfl
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    Guess my secret is still safe then...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010
    I am Aya Hu. I guess you can all guess who I am now :<Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    Sarah Roberts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTruXter
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010

Well, In Houston, you have to be Hispanic to get hired at fries.http://truxtertech.com/2010/05/computer-parts-shopping/ http://truxtertech.com/2010/05/frys-let-me-down/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    TruXter:

Well, In Houston, you have to be Hispanic to get hired at fries.

What store do you work at?
  10.  permalink
    Sell your soul to the devil might help your chances since you will be working at his company
  11.  permalink
    I have worked for frys more than three years now, as accessory sale then computers sale, frys is the only place where you can make money so easily, if you can't work you wouldn't be able to make money nowhere, I was so bad in selling, finally tried to find out the secrete, clock in go directly report to to sups that you are there, checking the green items and try to find a focus item for day, each customer I see coming in dep ask if they need help, one two three like that from each customers asking if they need help, out of 10 customers 3 with PSC , when there is no one in computer sale floor, walking the accessories helping customers with small items, make money from there, every ten minutes i say that I have to make money, it means I have my own goal, working at frys is so easy and very difficult, not everyone can work in there, I make every week $1,000 i take home at least 850 USD out of tax, wish you best of luck if you work at frys, you have lots of chances , if you work hard you get promoted, if you stay lazy and just wasting your time in that company you stay in same position,
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010
    Ummm.....someones fluffing up his figures a little...at $1000 a week you have a lot more than $150 taken out of your check.
  12.  permalink
    ehh i want to work there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    skullywag: Ummm.....someones fluffing up his figures a little...at $1000 a week you have a lot more than $150 taken out of your check.

So hes getting taxed 15%??... impossible, You're taxed more like 25% when your making $1000 a week.
  13.  permalink
    Depends on how many exemptions he has on his W-4, or whatever that form is.
  14.  permalink
    if it's the only job you can get, take it. but be warned it is a real shit hole of a company. Low class benefits. no 401k match, no sick time. expect to work every weekend and holiday. no time off allowed between t-day and xmas....etc
  15.  permalink
    Guest: if it's the only job you can get, take it. but be warned it is a real shit hole of a company. Low class benefits. no 401k match, no sick time. expect to work every weekend and holiday. no time off allowed between t-day and xmas....etc

asdf:
    skullywag: Ummm.....someones fluffing up his figures a little...at $1000 a week you have a lot more than $150 taken out of your check.

So hes getting taxed 15%??... impossible, You're taxed more like 25% when your making $1000 a week.

I think he may be right. There are options to pay less tax from your paycheck, but you'll end up possibly owing at the end of the year during tax season.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 1600
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014
    Don't Do It
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 1600
    If you are applying for a cashier and are a female, wear a really short skirt, and a skin tight top, act like a slut, kiss the supervisor's ass and carry a lot of chapstick to prevent lip chafing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    Guest: If you are applying for a cashier and are a female, wear a really short skirt, and a skin tight top, act like a slut, kiss the supervisor's ass and carry a lot of chapstick to prevent lip chafing!

Should work for guys too.