Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzesty
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009 edited
    I just moved to Los Angeles 2 months ago and I experienced Fry's for the first time after my friend said "you have GOT to see this place..."  
    I loved it. Pure awesomeness. I want to work there, as I have no job and I already know I would be good at it.  

I'm 23, white, male, graduated from a good college (not like that really makes a difference, but I notice all the people that work there are mexican.. so maybe it does).  

Does anyone have any tips for getting hired? I have been working with computers since I was 13, I've built webpages, built computers from scratch. I'm also pretty outgoing and friendly.  

I would really like to get this job, so that's why I'm actually on a Fry's forum looking for those small differences (or Do's and Don'ts) that makes a difference between you getting hired or not.  

Thanks guys :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009
    You are 23....  

Dont work at frys.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzesty
    I have other bigger plans, that's for sure.  

I just moved here though and I need stable income for a few months.  

Not to mention the economy in CA is shit so any job I get is better than no job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Frys and stable income don't belong in the same sentence.  

Don't let the "awesomness" of what you saw make you think that Fried is a good place to work. Besides treating their employees like criminals (well....some of them are), knowing what YOU would be good at does not necessarily translate into what they would want you to do.  

If you have both hardware skills, along with web page design, and depending upon what your degree is in, you can probably find at least an entry level position somewhere else utilizing these skills. Use something like Monster, CareerBuilder, Dice (if your degree is in an IT related area), etc. Don't take the easy way out and become a Fry's drone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    And takeAyaHu up on her offer (and feel free to pass it by me also). Since you're fresh out of college, use a "functional" resume' format to highligh what you know, what you learned/specialized in in college, and what you can do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsialer
    Ok Zesty I don't work at fry's and there is only one supporter of fry's on this forum. His name is Joshua. You need to ask him if you want an answer. Don't work at fry's.Ignorance is bliss... but only to those who don't know better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzesty
    lol.  

Thanks AyaHu.. I might just have to do that. :)  

If Fry's is such a awful place why do you come to this dark corner of the internet to post on a Fry's forum. I assumed most people here would be all about it.  

What is so bad about it. I assume it's just as shitty as working at best buy or any other electronics place. Really the thing is I need income right now so that I'm not burning through $2000/month just to live here w/o a job. I can search for better jobs as soon as I can relax and not live day to day on odd jobs.  

Btw, I thought you earn base pay + commissions, is that not stable?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsialer
    Not sure about the pay but I can assure you we came here to complain.... and blather about absolutely nothing. But you might want to read a little of this.  

http://frysforum.com/discussion/1299/1/list-of-bad-things-at-frys-electroniics/Ignorance is bliss... but only to those who don't know better.
  1.  permalink
    I hate working at frys. But it's a job and nothing else is available. I am keeping it. But I go work at starbucks or something instead. Any place is 100% better. Frys will make your life hell or just turn you into a complete asshole. Whatever comes first. It turned me into a complete asshole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    SDCherryPicker - please, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.  

BTW, good commentary and summation of life as a Fry's Drone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzesty
    I prefer to find those things out for myself, and not judge things with tainted negative opinions before I experience them myself.  

Can anyone answer my original question?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    zesty: I prefer to find those things out for myself, and not judge things with tainted negative opinions before I experience them myself.  

Can anyone answer my original question?

Im sorry but, you should take these people's words for it, they are wise. If you look in the history of this board only a few people have ever talked good about it. It is and will always be a crappy retail job. Why would you want one of those? Dont you have a college education? What is your major, maybe we can hook you up somehow.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzesty
    I graduated from univ of michigan.  

I have worked in a factory before for 30 days straight 12 hour shifts. If I can hack that and not have it be a big deal, I don't think fry's will be a problem.  

plus i dont have a car and its walking distance from my house. Im emphasizing that i just moved here.. this is a fine job for now I think. Even if it sucks its only going to be for a few months until I can afford a car and whatnot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsialer
    You need to talk to joshua he is the only one who can really help you. Oh and Aya she can help. and she already did.Ignorance is bliss... but only to those who don't know better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    zesty: lol.  

Thanks AyaHu.. I might just have to do that. :)  

If Fry's is such a awful place why do you come to this dark corner of the internet to post on a Fry's forum. I assumed most people here would be all about it.  

What is so bad about it. I assume it's just as shitty as working at best buy or any other electronics place. Really the thing is I need income right now so that I'm not burning through $2000/month just to live here w/o a job. I can search for better jobs as soon as I can relax and not live day to day on odd jobs.  

Btw, I thought you earn base pay + commissions, is that not stable?

Commissions are nice for the top salesmen in each department, but would you be hired as sales? The new guidelines emphasize moving through the lower ranks first. I think it would be at least a couple months before you would be sales. At least that's how it goes at our store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    FInd a job that pays you about what you spend. Having more money sucks when you have to work more and still have much left over.
    •  
      CommentAuthormerzbow
    sialer: Not sure about the pay but I can assure you we came here to complain.... and blather about absolutely nothing. But you might want to read a little of this.  

http://frysforum.com/discussion/1299/1/list-of-bad-things-at-frys-electroniics/

its quite a good read, if i do say so myself. :3  

that is.... if your browser doesnt crash fom all the quote diarreah in that topic.  

ps- to the OP, if youre looking for the absolute worst, poorly run work experience of your life, and you specialize in brown nosing and salad tossing to climb corperate ladders...... Fry's might be the place for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    you could call it art:face-devil-grin:Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  2.  permalink
    Looks like you're trying to get into sales.  

It's very hard to start at any other position beside the front check out. Most people apply for Customer Service Associate (aka Cashier or CSA) and work very hard doing some dirty jobs such as taking out the trash and tidying up the bathrooms like a janitor. It's not very hard to become a CSA... just walk in and ask who's the supervisor at front check out that acts as the HR, and see if part-time or full time positions are available, then apply for that spot.  

Once you get in though, you are in- You will be doing the dirty work that turns off a lot of the people here. With this time though, you can prove to your department manager that you are either sales associate quality, or supervisor quality, and move up by getting customers to apply for the Fry's credit card. The card is absolutely free, no start up fee, no annual fee... while the APR is high, the incentive is 0% interest on SELECTED PRODUCTS for an entire year: it's easy to get people to apply if you are quite the people-person.  

Once you can get a lot of people applying for Fry's credit card every week, literally start to NAG on your department manager and the department you want to move to. If you want to take the longer route, you may also move to returns and wait for the very next opening in sales, granted that nobody beats you to it. That's how you'll get into your sales spot.  

You are absolutely correct, you should make this decision yourself on whether or not you like the job. People generally move up quickly, so you might find a suitable and livable spot for yourself. Shoot, my department manager hasn't even been at my store for 5 years, and started off at deliveries... now managing the front check out. Front check out department managers is pretty much the position right under store assistant manager- he's in a good spot.  

You're not going to need any luck. The interview will pretty much be asking you if you can follow the rules, and a few opinionated questions such as "Do you think honesty is important? Why?" Quite rhetorical, for the people who want to get hired.  

Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    I honestly don't mind working at Fry's. I've been working for Fry's for 3 years and several months now. Just most people on this forum are cranky that either got fired or quit or experienced a bad experience. At least what I see.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Honey, if you work at Frys, it will not be only a few months until you can afford a car. Frys is like a circle. It keeps you too poor to move out and pays your bills. You cant progress unless you quit or get fired. Salesmen make enough to live happily, but unless you can get the sales job, I urge you to find other outlets. Again you say you graduated but don't list a major. LA has a bus system. You can use it.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfryguy
    Got promoted within 3 months of hire. Guess it's because I like point out the obvious problems that others for whatever reason don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Good job fryguy!Superhero!
  3.  permalink
    zesty: I graduated from univ of michigan.  

I have worked in a factory before for 30 days straight 12 hour shifts. If I can hack that and not have it be a big deal, I don't think fry's will be a problem.  

plus i dont have a car and its walking distance from my house. Im emphasizing that i just moved here.. this is a fine job for now I think. Even if it sucks its only going to be for a few months until I can afford a car and whatnot.

I like working at Fry's really. Yeah, there are pros and cons to all work places, but it does pay my bills. You have to remember that despite the fact that people are saying that it is crummy pay, you have to remember... it is retail. Retail typically doesn't pay very well anyway.  

If you want money, sales is where its at. That said, if you do decide to try to get into sales, try to get into Audio/Video or Computers Department because there is where the money is made. However, you are going to start off in Accessories in order to learn the department and where everything is. Most of the accessory guys in my department who want to go into sales stay in Accessories for about a month or so.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfryguy
    Thanks, even if that was sarcastic. My circumstances were similar to the OP in that I wasn't intending to work there for very long. It's not hard to progress if you are good at what you do (obvious again). It's just a decision you may need to make as to how committed to the job you are if it's not your intention to for it to be a career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLurch
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    there are a couple of positions at Fry's that pay VERY well, I won't say how much I make a year but I spent well over 10k in taxes last year. I'm not a store manager or even a department manager or in sales. I pay for a very nice house in a great neigborhood and have a couple of sweet rides. Here's the deal, Fry's like other big box chains is a microcosm. You need worker bees plain and simple. Out of the 300 positions at each location I would say 220 of them suck unless your just out of high school. You get out what you put in period! The people with shitty attitudes on this site will be shitty reguardless of the situation. And your talking about MAYBE 1or 2% of the total population that deals with Fry's find it unsatisfactory. Be honest during your interviews and like anything in life, be prepared to work your way up for what you want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    which position do you have?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorLurch
    if it was just between you and me Suzukiman, I'd tell you all about it
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    You can always private message him ;DSuperhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Lurch: if it was just between you and me Suzukiman, I'd tell you all about it

Second.
  4.  permalink
    Lurch: The people with shitty attitudes on this site will be shitty reguardless of the situation. And your talking about MAYBE 1or 2% of the total population that deals with Fry's find it unsatisfactory. Be honest during your interviews and like anything in life, be prepared to work your way up for what you want.

Agreed agreed.  

People complain more than compliment.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009 edited
    pm me ill send you both an email.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorLurch
    Check your inbox
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    Forward to me, Suzukiman, Im curious! And I don't work at or near frys, and never have so my discretion is top.Superhero!
  5.  permalink
    zesty: I just moved to Los Angeles 2 months ago and I experienced Fry's for the first time after my friend said "you have GOT to see this place..."  
    I loved it. Pure awesomeness. I want to work there, as I have no job and I already know I would be good at it.  

I'm 23, white, male, graduated from a good college (not like that really makes a difference, but I notice all the people that work there are mexican.. so maybe it does).  

Does anyone have any tips for getting hired? I have been working with computers since I was 13, I've built webpages, built computers from scratch. I'm also pretty outgoing and friendly.  

I would really like to get this job, so that's why I'm actually on a Fry's forum looking for those small differences (or Do's and Don'ts) that makes a difference between you getting hired or not.  

Thanks guys :face-smile:

Take advantage of your college degree!!! If you are looking for something temporary go to a temp agency. My friend got her BA in art. What kind of job today can you get in art??? She has been hooked up with awesome jobs just for having a BA. I worked at fry's for 1+ years before I was making $12/hr. My friend now is only going up. She is making more ($19/hr) then I did ever working at Fry's for 3+ years. Fry's isn't worth wasting your time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    look in your inbox  

nobody gets information i have dont even tryLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  6.  permalink
    SDCherryPicker: I hate working at frys. But it's a job and nothing else is available. I am keeping it. But I go work at starbucks or something instead. Any place is 100% better. Frys will make your life hell or just turn you into a complete asshole. Whatever comes first. It turned me into a complete asshole.

ditto i cherrypick hot ass gurls
  7.  permalink
    quotes,mdrs,salesman walkers, expensive items.... i will become an asshole if u kill my time by making go to the floor or pic for price change. change your mind about a quote, try to get a motherfucking gift card or use a gift certificate, Be an asshole customer. If u write a check at fry's you're an asshole and if you write a check under 20 dollars ur a bigger asshole and if 5 dollars and under you're just a dumb ass mediocre low life especially if we have a line of customers.
  8.  permalink
    i had a customer write 2.15 check today i swear he made me hate old people again
  9.  permalink
    Meh, checks are easy.
  10.  permalink
    Meh, everything at Front Check Out is easy haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    FRIED SNAKE: i had a customer write 2.15 check today

:'-(
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    FRIED SNAKE: i had a customer write 2.15 check today i swear he made me hate old people again

Were they really, really, really old? Or really, really, really ghetto?Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    It was probably Ghetto Man.  

•  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009 edited
    Don't work at Frys, they make everything 10x harder than it has to be. Commission is revoked if the item is returned, the Ads are always wrong, products mislabeled, employees are treated like criminals and fired for even one mistake *cough* secret shopper *cough*...I've seen it all. Frys and "stable income" is a contradiction, plain and simple. And don't even get me started on the effing frys cards. I was like you, went to college and graduated, started tinkering with computers and enjoyed it so I thought a job at Frys would be just the place for me...and all I can say is "I want out of that hell hole that some people call a job." But as I've been told, never quit a job until you have a better one. And with very few jobs open right now I'm staying where I am. I don't want potential employers that I'm interested in thinking of me as a "job hopper" so I'm trying to stick it out through the recession. After all, a lamo paycheck is still a paycheck. Frys hasn't quite managed to turn me into a Frys Drone or a Frys Card robot, or an asshole....not yet anyway.  

Don't sell yourself short. I've got my expectations for my next job and I've told myself that I'm not quitting until I've got what I want....I'm just refusing to sell myself short, again. Once is enough.  

A $2.15 check? Oh that's not too bad, just a royal pain to do all that work for something so small....now business checks with no associate name on them and no check history for $1000, now that makes me hate people all over again. Esp. if the customer is someone really high in the company, who thinks that they are the boss of everyone else, no matter if they are in their offices or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    dont worry you have to have the silver balls of uncorruption to not be changed by fried but then again your name might also be carlos jesus manuel ??? dont forget you would then need to love little quire boys its christianity you wouldnt want to be unfaithful now would you. and its now 2:33 am time to go t the other building then homeLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    ....................: Meh, checks are easy.

....................: Meh, everything at Front Check Out is easy haha.
    \  

Then you obviously haven't worked there before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Everything at FCO is easy. Maybe a bitch sometimes, but dare you say that any part of your job is challenging?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Dead thread!Superhero!