Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsalma
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009
    What do you guys think? Is it really fair for managers to work for 6 days? i dont know whether or not in all stores.in palo alto, receiving DM works average 60 to 65 hours. They are on salary but it doesnt mean they work 6 days and daily 10 hours. What does law say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Good question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    salma: What do you guys think? Is it really fair for managers to work for 6 days? i dont know whether or not in all stores.in palo alto, receiving DM works average 60 to 65 hours. They are on salary but it doesnt mean they work 6 days and daily 10 hours. What does law say?

If you are on salary it sucks for you. But if your paid hourly your good go to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsalma
    asdf:
    salma: What do you guys think? Is it really fair for managers to work for 6 days? i dont know whether or not in all stores.in palo alto, receiving DM works average 60 to 65 hours. They are on salary but it doesnt mean they work 6 days and daily 10 hours. What does law say?

If you are on salary it sucks for you. But if your paid hourly your good go to.

thats not an answer for my question. i m not talking about me. m talking about managers
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    If they had a problem with it they'd probably make a fuss. They probably feel compensated enough that they are willing to put in their extra hours.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthormerzbow
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009 edited

not much.... but Fry's (being a privately owned company) who makes up their own laws. and their army of lawyers, and the contract managers have to sign say 'Tough Titty'.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009 edited
    merzbow:

not much.... but Fry's (being a privately owned company) who makes up their own laws. and their army of lawyers, and the contract managers have to sign say 'Tough Titty'.

Federal and state law is over any business and its "rules and laws" regardless if private or public.
  1.  permalink
    Hm, my DM gets Fridays and Saturdays off... If I was a manager and 6 days a week bothered me, I'd bring up the issue with the SM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsalma
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    Joshua: Hm, my DM gets Fridays and Saturdays off... If I was a manager and 6 days a week bothered me, I'd bring up the issue with the SM.

well my store manager is the one who wants our DM work 6 days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    I'm sure it's like that at most stores. But hey, you're on a contractually agreed upon salary, working for a privately owned company. Not too much to do except move up, down or sideways to a position or job that better agrees with you. Of course, like many things, it's easier said than done. Especially in this economy. My best short term advice for you is: Be thankful for what you have.
  2.  permalink
    As a mgr, you have to suck it up and just do it. It might not seem fair and this is obviously a disadvantage to being on salary but don't feel too bad bc salary has its advantages as well. The labor laws are designed to protect hourly associates, to ensure they have breaks for every 5 hrs worked and are compensated for working overtime. A salaried associate is considered "exempt" and is not bound by these laws. Thats why mgrs dont have to punch after 5 hrs. so yea no protection under the law for an overworked associate on salary... Sucks for the DM's in 3, i just stay of the SM's shit list and i get my two days every week. That reminds me... whos the new SM in st 3?
  3.  permalink
    Sasquatch: I'm sure it's like that at most stores. But hey, you're on a contractually agreed upon salary, working for a privately owned company. Not too much to do except move up, down or sideways to a position or job that better agrees with you. Of course, like many things, it's easier said than done. Especially in this economy. My best short term advice for you is: Be thankful for what you have.

Sasquatch: I'm sure it's like that at most stores. But hey, you're on a contractually agreed upon salary, working for a privately owned company. Not too much to do except move up, down or sideways to a position or job that better agrees with you. Of course, like many things, it's easier said than done. Especially in this economy. My best short term advice for you is: Be thankful for what you have.

Exactly my friend went from making 70k at a bank to now working at Wal-Mart for $10/hr. He is thankful beyond words for that job. When you are hungry and need money in your pocket for other things....your self-conscience goes out the door fast.
  4.  permalink
    I worked for a large retail chain as a store manager and a 6 day workweek was expected. Minimum 48 -54 hours per week, although we had 62 hour workweeks that were mandatory if you weren't hitting your numbers when I worked there. But I was making 90k avg a year so I didn't care. I don't have that problem at Fry's.