Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornihilistsx
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009 edited
    Good evening  

I have recently applied for a Fry's credit card in hopes of building a pc immediately instead of buying the parts one paycheck at a time.  
    I am 18, and I have no previous credit activity.  

I come to this forum searching for general advice and things I should look out for with this card (If I get it, that is.)  

Due to my non-existent credit score and my age, I am not sure if I will be eligible to receive this card, and if I do, I am unsure if the amount of credit I am given will be enough to cover the expenses encompassed by my future purchase.  

What I'm asking is, do I meet qualifications for the card, and if so, will I receive enough credit to build a computer? The price range I am currently looking at is $1500~, as I will be able to pay $400 monthly maximum.  

Also, is there anything I should be aware of pertaining to the Fry's card in general?  

Thank you for your time. :face-smile:
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Frys Credit Card is Really Scam!!!!
    No longer req' to ask cust' about Fry's Credit Cards
    Fry's owns First Electronic Corporation dba First Electronic Bank aka Fry's Credit Card
    Fry's Electronics Credit Card Promotions
    Fry's Credit Card
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    Don't get the Fry's card. The bank that issues the card is horrible, and anything that doesn't qualify for 0% APR will be in the neighborhood of 21% APR. Get yourself a Capital One card or something. They are one of many banks that will be more forgiving than First Electronic Bank, usually with 0% APR introductory rates that last about a year or so.  

http://www.creditcards.com/  

Use credit wisely.
  2.  permalink
    You ain't gonna get one. Don't bother getting one anyway. They are shit.
  3.  permalink
    I personally recommend the capital one as well.  

Anyhow, if you do choose to get a Fry's credit card... either use it only on 0% APR products or small things such as candy bar so the high interest rate doesn't bite. Interest rate wont get you though if you pay off by the first bill when you do choose to buy a little more expensive products.  

A danger to watch out for on 0% interest for 12 months (or payments really), is that after 12 months the interest on the 13th month accumulates all of the interest that you didn't pay for the first 12 months (from what I hear), so do pay off within 11 months lol. Also, you must make a minimum monthly payment of $10 (although they may make a new minimum monthly payment according to the fine print.)  

Just because you are 18 doesn't mean you wont get the card, it's just more unlikely. Just remember that when you are applying, you are more likely to get approved with both a checkings and savings account, just say that you make 0$- to whatever number (the first one) annually, do not put for ATM use, and enter you debit card information on the last page. My friend with no previous credit history and makes less than I, got approved of a card. Just remember to never apply for the card twice within 45 days, and to never apply for a lot of credit cards at once (such as go for capital one, american express, discover, fry's, best buy, macy's, target cards, etc...) It never looks good to apply for a lot of cards and looks even worst when they all turn you down.  

Good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    You probably wont get a Frys card. Nonetheless, again like everyone else, I suggest Capital One, they have wonderful customer service. Otherwise, you could apply through your own bank for a student card, or something similiar. Put your utilities in your name and you'll have credit in no time.  

"Just because you are 18 doesn't mean you wont get the card, it's just more unlikely. "  

Actually, if they have no established credit I'm pretty sure they won't, I think I applied for one wayyyyy back in the day, although it might be another place I am thinking of, and since I had no established credit I was denied... Or it may have been when I was 17.. I don't remember.  

Even if you do get approved, I highly, highly, highly doubt it will be for 1500. Usually newbies get 300 or 400 max. Still, every penny counts.  

Plus, you never know, they could be desperate due to the economy.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009
    save and use cashLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Recommendation - don't buy the parts from Fry's. You can find better deals, better components, in better condition online. Additionally, the interest rate that Fry's rapes you with...I mean charges, is a LOT higher than you can get through CapitalOne or elsewhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    newegg.com wiredzone.comLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  4.  permalink
    Get a Visa or Master Card. Like the others said Capitol One should be a good one but me I have an Orchard Bank Card and it was the 1st carde I ever got and never had any trouble with it. Plus most Store Credit Cards all have jacked up APRs so its probably best to get a Visa or Master Card. You can also go through your bank, but some banks are like stores and have a high APR and some don't. Since you're only 18 you will get something under 500 to 600. But Fry's Credit Bank will not approve you. They have weirdest standards when it comes to credit. The one thing you can count on is that you won't get it if you have no credit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfriedsnake
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    fry's bank sucks ass dont get one
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009
    gossipgirl025: Get a Visa or Master Card. Like the others said Capitol One should be a good one but me I have an Orchard Bank Card and it was the 1st carde I ever got and never had any trouble with it. Plus most Store Credit Cards all have jacked up APRs so its probably best to get a Visa or Master Card. You can also go through your bank, but some banks are like stores and have a high APR and some don't. Since you're only 18 you will get something under 500 to 600. But Fry's Credit Bank will not approve you. They have weirdest standards when it comes to credit. The one thing you can count on is that you won't get it if you have no credit.

Orchard Bank credit cards are for people with really poor credit.
  5.  permalink
    open an american express blue card and get 0% for up to 1 year (12 months) and up to 15 months if you ask if they will give it to you
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Guest: open an american express blue card and get 0% for up to 1 year (12 months) and up to 15 months if you ask if they will give it to you

Lots of things are negotiable with the credit card companies.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    Woah.. good deal...Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Guest: open an american express blue card and get 0% for up to 1 year (12 months) and up to 15 months if you ask if they will give it to you

Except Fried doesn't accept AmEx. Which is a good thing if you think about it - why would you want to buy anything from them anyway.
  6.  permalink
    ObiWan:

Except Fried doesn't accept AmEx. Which is a good thing if you think about it - why would you want to buy anything from them anyway.

Actually frys started taking amex about a year ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    He wouldn't know. He hasn't been inside a Fry's since a long, long time ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    in a galaxy far away ....Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    When the galactic empire has begun construction on a new armored space station.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMLeste
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    These A@s clown are missing the boat, as so many people like myself use my corporate American Express for all electronic purchases.  
    No exaggeration...I have spent at least $250,000 in corporate and personal purchases using one of 2 Amex's within the last 2 years, and Fry's could have gotten the lion share of that.  
    Instead... their greed has clouded their judgment. I guess they thought they could make up the difference by issuing their own card @ usury rates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    SDCherryPicker:
    ObiWan:

Actually frys started taking amex about a year ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    Since you are new to credit, I would instead opt for Bank of America or Chase, both have local branches you can pay at incase you forget about your bill...like my sister did. Don't do Capital Once, they haven't taken any hints from me: I return their letters and put myself down for the credit bureau opt out list and I'm still get junk from them. But I honestly don't think you're going to get $1,500 on the card, I got mine raised to that after over a year of credit history. They'll start you out small at like $500 or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    If you are in school you can always get a decent $500 credit limit on a student credit card with no credit at all.
  7.  permalink
    i like how the original post was in february and now in july people are still giving advices and the original poster did not re-visit his post at all lol
  8.  permalink
    to edit the above, its been over a year, just noticed it was posted originally in 2009 lol
  9.  permalink
    Beware. Only "certain items" qualify for the 12 mo 0% interest at Fry's. I was toild the item I was purchasing did. I let them run my credit and got me a Fry's card. Woohoo... anyway in the end the item I purchases (a loptop computer) did not qualify for the 12mo 0% rate. We had to cancel the order and re-ring it up so I can pay by another means because Fry's normal interest rate is 23.9%... ouch.
Add your comments