Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgogetenkz
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    I'm a full time college student looking for a job.  

The thing is, I have never had a job in my life. (Which is probably not bad because working sucks.)  

I'd rather not be around fast food for my job, and thought Fry's would be the lesser of two evils.  
    I have a fry's application in front of me right now and the whole second page is employment history and business references.  

I'm probably just gonna apply for CSA, so i don't think experience is really necessary.  
    but i don't have any business references.  

will filling in "n/a" throughout the whole 2nd page cause me to not have a job?  

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Just don't put it in the plexiglass bin. Hand it to a manager.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    make stuff up which store are you applying for? add in a bunch of school stuff you have lead .Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Suzukiman: make stuff up which store are you applying for? add in a bunch of school stuff you have lead .

They probably wont check, anyways.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    First, consider whether you REALLY want to be a Fry's drone or not. Read through some of the other posts.  

Second, don't follow Suzukiman's advice and "make stuff up". Companies do check. If you put "college student", that'll be fine.  

That being said, your original comment "working sucks" deserves comment. Unless you plan on sponging off of mom and dad for the rest of your life (and they're ok with that), give some serious thought as to why you're in college, what you want to be when you grow up, and realize that working isn't all that bad when you consider the alternative. Just some random thoughts from an old Jedi Master who's seen it (well...most of it) all before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009
    make stuff up was mostly for non job type stuff more like achievements and personal goals you have overcome. Don't make up a fake employment history.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  1.  permalink
    There's a lot of people at my store who has Fry's as their first job, so I don't see why they'd give you a hard time about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Suzukiman: make stuff up was mostly for non job type stuff more like achievements and personal goals you have overcome. Don't make up a fake employment history.

Don't even "make stuff up...for non job type stuff", ESPECIALLY "achievements". That will definitely come back and bite you in the a**.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Yes, it will. But note that a few grammatical enhancements can increase your hiring desirability to a potential employer.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009 edited
    but its fried electronics I'm trying to be a savior here if fried catches it he wount have the pain of fried employees everywhere ..... but truely if you do want to get hired wright real events on the application along with things you have achieved and dont just hand it to a manager hand it to the assistant store manager and or store manager if you make a good impression with them you will more than likely get hired. if you hand it to anyone else you may have just put it in the plastic box with the rest of them.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  2.  permalink
    At our store, if you hand it to CS Sup... 7? You are most likely get hired because she's the one who gets to look at them- then she fills out some forms to request a hire, and calls you if it's approved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgogetenkz
    Ok.  

I'm probably not going to make stuff up, whether they check it or not.  
    as for writing real achievements, there's no space on the actual application for me to write them.  
    the first page is general info, name, address, position, crimes, education, etc.  
    the second page is employment history, business references, and signature.  

do i really need to hand them a resume?  

and i'll probably mention being in college somewhere in the application.  

As for the Jedi Master and working sucks, i probably said it the wrong way. I'm at college so i can get a good-paying career in what I want to do. when i meant working sucks, i meant dead-end jobs that won't mean shit in the future, other than "experience".  

as for handing it in to the the store manager, how do i find that person? do i just simply ask the person in the front where the manager is at and then get to him? I probably don't want him or her coming to me. will going to the department manager be enough?  

thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    List cool projects you worked on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    gogetenkz:  
    As for the Jedi Master and working sucks, i probably said it the wrong way. I'm at college so i can get a good-paying career in what I want to do. when i meant working sucks, i meant dead-end jobs

That makes sense. And you pegged Fry's on the head with the description of "dead-end job". As to it qualifying as "experience", questionable.  

Something AyaHu noted was the use of "grammatical enhancements". Get started now by using "key words". Google key words for a resume' and you'll find a mess of websites with information on key words potential employers look for. Additionally, as to a resume', create what's known as a functional resume' to hand into Fry's. Google functional resume's for college graduates and you'll find lots of help on how to design one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    if you are buddy buddy with a department manager you will get in but which store are you applying at if its the hamilton store you actually will want to talk with a specific person not the asm or sm to find the sm just ask if anyone has seen him and usually they will point you in the correct direction if you go to the department manager they may be lazy and not do anything and or lose it again buddies rule. Resume is a plus especially if you bring it to the sm or asm it is a dead end job if you are getting into computer repair ge into the service department it is infact a good place to get some hands on exposure to repaiing systems in a fast paced environment good if you are heading toward a real IT job it will make the IT job seem really layed back and slow even when things go wrong. any other job you get at fried is useless even for experience purposes untill you go to home office as IT or you become a department manager or a home office manager of something or another. all the jobs at fries will be degrading demeaning stupid and probably will go against moralityLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorFelix
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009
    Resum├Ęs my friend. They work wonders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgogetenkz
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009
    ah, my thread got resurrected.  

i never did get around to applying at frys san diego. could have been a good thing, who knows..  

i actually got my resume done around that time, "grammatical enhancements" and all. So once i find GOOD use for it, it'll be right there..