Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited
    Im having one of my once- every-three-years party on the 21st, and I need a new TV, because we are going to watch a movie, and it's going to be awesome. I have been needing a new TV for a long time, I swore to get one when The Dark Knight came to DVD but I missed the goal out of not wanting to actually go buy a tv.  

So I need input.  
    First off, what do I look for in an HD TV? Should I get projection or LCD? What brands are reliable? Where do I get one for the best price?  

Can someone give me direction! I want a really good TV because the only TV I ever watch is movies. Since QOS is coming out I want to be prepared this time. Plus I want to watch TDK on Hd. :D  

I want it big.Superhero!
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    What specifications should I look for in a new computer?
    Looking to buy DDR1 ram for notebook...pc2700 333mhz
    Best Buy closing 50 stores this year 2014. What does this mean for Fry's?
    Macbook Touch, something to look for in 2008
    Looking for a frys employee to help me out...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009
    You guys are so neglectful, I posted this 2 hours ago and no one's responded.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009
    get a bunch of thin frame computer monitors a decently powerful computer to run them and make a monitor wall.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Good idea I'll be like batman. But no I want a legit 62" I think.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Bbl.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    That is not helpful!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Heh, sorry. At work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Fine, I'll just go look at TVs and buy the one that looks the best.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Projection TV's are probably going to be a better choice if you're looking for something above 60 inches. Newer DLP projection TV's use LED's, so no changing the halogen lamp in a couple years. Because they use red, green, and blue LED's, there's no longer a color wheel, eliminating the "rainbow effect." About two years ago, I purchased the Samsung HLT5086. Which is basically this:  

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT5087SAX-50-Inch-Engine-1080p/dp/B000N50RLO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1236993392&sr=1-11  

It's been a great TV. At the time it was about a grand cheaper than a comparable LCD model. The only two issues that have ever crossed my mind are:  
    1- Limited viewing angle compared to LCD's.  
    2- Not as bright as LCD's. (Sunny rooms)  

If you choose projection, check these out:  

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL61A750-61-Inch-1080p-Powered/dp/B001415FIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1236994109&sr=1-1  
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL67A750-67-Inch-1080p-Powered/dp/B001413DWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1236994109&sr=1-2  

If I were in your shoes today, I would probably be looking at LCD's. The pricing has come down, better viewing angle, better contrast, less space. Projections have deeper blacks, and better pricing at the high end. While 60+ inches isn't that practical with LCD, the 50 inch range is pretty reasonable. The new 120Hz LCD's are better for fast motion. If you choose LCD, I'd look at the Samsung LN52A650 or the Samsung LN52A750.  

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A650-52-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B001413DF8  
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A750-52-Inch-1080p-Touch/dp/B001418WF4  

Hope this helps!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Frys.com links:  

Projection-  
    http://shop2.frys.com/product/5556440?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG  
    http://shop2.frys.com/product/5603881?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG  

LCD-  
    http://shop2.frys.com/product/5545680?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG  
    http://shop2.frys.com/product/5574930?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG  
    http://shop2.frys.com/product/5706692?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG  

Don't forget to call the store after you narrow your choices down, pricing online can be different. Sales will also differ area to area. Right now the Samsung LN52A750 is on sale in the Houston stores. Two years ago Fry's was the cheapest for me. Let us know what deals you find.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    And before anyone asks, no, I am not a Samsung fanboy. They just happen to have some of the best consumer grade TV's out there. Plus they're pretty as hell. That too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpcghostII
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009 edited
    Well since I work in the tv dept and I have been in the a/v business for over 15 years. I know a thing or two about tv's and such. If you go for the DLP sets I would then suggest the Samsung HL67a750, it is a led version of the lp and no lamp to replace, I know we are selling them cheap know do to the newer models getting ready to come out. As for viewing angles the do suffer, if you want the best in Viewing angle then look at the Plasma. Please do not state that plasma suck cuz the don't last. Do your self a favor and research them. A great website to review them on and tell the facts about them. http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/ THe plasma have a 40 year, yes I said 40 year life span before they start to fade. The only down side of plasma is that they do create more glare then most of the dlp and lcd out there, but if you are looking at the Samsung lcd lna650 or 750 you will have the same problem. They have a glossy screen. Now back to the plasma, you can get te Samsung PN58A650 for around the same price as the top 52 lcd right now. On the down side of plasma, Slight I meen SLIGHT chance of burn-in, however all plasma have a anti-burn-in protection and menu to remove burned in images if it ever does happen. They tend to run warmer, and have a slightly higher operation cost for electric use. On the plus side, lcd have 120 mHZ plasma have 180 to 480 subfield processors, lcd have 5Ms response, Plasma have 1, lcd have 50,000:1 dynamic contrast/3000:1 native contrast, Plasma have 1 million to 1 dynamic contrast/30,000:1 native. and last but not least lcd have about1.5 million collors to work with, plasma have 86 billion. Now the big downfall to the plasma is going to be a bright room they will cause a glare like the old tube t.v.s, but as I have stated before so will the uper end samsung lcd. Well there is my 2cents worth lol. Also right now is the best time to buy since all of the t.vs or reduced in cost to make room for the new ones to come in. Here is another great website to read http://www.hdguru.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    plasmas suck ...... sorry its a spontaneous troll response unit installed in my keyboard.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    wow you actually know your stuff.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Suzukiman: wow you actually know your stuff.

Which probably means that he's a bottom feeder at Fry's then.. *cackles*Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    well he is sales.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009 edited
    Ah you are all a little too late I went and got : Samsung 46"LN46a850 for 1799. (I know its small, but...) I watched it last night and almost started to cry at it's pure beauty. Right now I have some DVD I havent watched in 100 years playing because I want to see its beauty. I dont even have high def and it's like....... heaven. So today we're going to get a bose system for it.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    why not harmon kardon?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Because there is a bose outlet somewhat nearby and they have good deals and the quality makes me shiver!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpcghostII
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009
    someone:
    Suzukiman: wow you actually know your stuff.

Which probably means that he's a bottom feeder at Fry's then.. *cackles*

Well actually I am a bottom feeder, around 4th in sales in the dept, and 2nd in sales in psc. It's so terrible I can't stand it only making around 700 to 800 a week, What am I to do? I was even so bad at PSC sales that Cesar text me to how I want my name spelled on my buisness cards with the Charlie chip on it. You know those bottom feeder card that say you are the best, Bwa ha ha ha!! All kidding aside I do know my stuff and I have been working with Fry's over 10 years and have been in almost every dept, except for AT and Components. THe Samsung LN46A850 is an great t.v. I like the fact you can load up some AVI and mpeg4 h264 files on a thumb drive and play them thru the usb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009 edited
    Bose? Boooooo. Booooose.  
    They're ok. Over priced, but if you can find a good deal, rock on. I bought the Onkyo HT-SR800 for 400 bucks, which is a pretty good deal for a cheap HTS. The receiver is excellent for the money, however it doesn't pass through audio over HDMI, but I don't mind because I run optical from the devices to the receiver. Just be sure to use something around 16 gauge for your wiring. Most boxed systems come with 24, 22 gauge.  

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-SR800-Theater-Entertainment-System/dp/B000O8E8YW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1237053969&sr=1-7  

After a few months I threw some Polk Rti8's on there, which are awesome.  

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/polk-audio/floorstanding-speakers/rti8/PRD_323604_1594crx.aspx  

If you need a receiver, and are looking for a system in a box, also check out the Onkyo HT-S5100.  

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5100-Channel-Entertainment-System/dp/B0016KAU3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1237053969&sr=1-1#moreAboutThisProduct  

The Onkyo HT-SR800 might be hard to find these days. If you do end up with a system in a box, I highly recommend supplementing it with at least a pair of nice floor standing speakers. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go crank up some music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpcghostII
    Bose...........B.O.S.E = By Other Sound Equipment, No HIghs, no lows, it must be bose. ha ha. J/K there alright, not my first choice but the get the job done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKen
    Buy the Bose System! Harmon Kardon and Onkyo box systems don’t hold a candle to anything that Bose makes… I have owned both the Onkyo witch I find it is very hard navigate and is not user friendly. The Harmon Kardon is is Ok but I found that they seem to mimic a lot of the Bose technology and they don’t do it very well…not to mention who wants big speakers when you have a flat TV? Both of the systems that I purchased were not box systems I pieced them together. I just bought the Bose 28 Lifestyle and I love it! The one thing that the girl at the Bose outlet said was that the systems firmware can be upgraded by inserting software into the DVD drive. Plus if you buy it with our AP it has about 40% margin on it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009 edited
    actually I am very satisfied with my $75 cyber acoustics 5.1 system really does a good job for anything from gaming to surround sound theater hook it up using a computer entertainment system and your set. http://www.cyberacoustics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Home.ContactLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    "Harmon Kardon and Onkyo box systems don’t hold a candle to anything that Bose makes… " This. And I got a really, really, really good deal on them. :D  

My system blows my mind. I rented some movies to test it out, it was like... better than the theatre.. I may never pay 5$ ever again to see a movie. What can compare? Even TDK in the Imax wasnt like this.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Cool, what components did you get?
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009
    For TV's get an Samsung 850 model, its under 2in thick, 120hz, deep color.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpcghostII
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009
    AyaHu: "Harmon Kardon and Onkyo box systems don’t hold a candle to anything that Bose makes… " This. And I got a really, really, really good deal on them. :D  

My system blows my mind. I rented some movies to test it out, it was like... better than the theatre.. I may never pay 5$ ever again to see a movie. What can compare? Even TDK in the Imax wasnt like this.

Depends on wich Onkyo or Harman Kardon box system, the ones we sale with the Infinity or polk speakers are some of the best, don't get me wrong the bose are good, but when it comes to the higher end box systems the other guys put out, the bose can't match yet. THe best package is the Yamaha polk we have but all three systems now offer Dolby HD and DTS HD master Audio, the same sound tracks they are using in the theaters for blu-ray and the bose does not have that as of yet. The bottom line is if you are happy with the purchase, then you made a good buy.
  2.  permalink
    I heard that Fry's is giving away free blu-ray players when you buy LED HDTV. Probably to help the economy? I heard this from my boss who bought a Samsung with the touch of red. He has been shopping around for the lowest cost. He is so excited about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009
    pci Video Card: I heard that Fry's is giving away free blu-ray players when you buy LED HDTV. Probably to help the economy? I heard this from my boss who bought a Samsung with the touch of red. He has been shopping around for the lowest cost. He is so excited about it.

Whose economy? China's economy?
  3.  permalink
    SpcghostII: Bose...........B.O.S.E = By Other Sound Equipment, No HIghs, no lows, it must be bose. ha ha. J/K there alright, not my first choice but the get the job done.

You forgot friends don't let friends buy bose! I wont reduce myself to those "bose sucks" arguments, but you can do MUCH better for the price or do just as good for less. They mainly use paper drivers and... well you can go do your own research on that part. They have always run an incredibly successful marketing campaign, brainwashing their name into everyone's heads as being the best. Its like... buying monster cables
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    frys_morman:
    SpcghostII: Bose...........B.O.S.E = By Other Sound Equipment, No HIghs, no lows, it must be bose. ha ha. J/K there alright, not my first choice but the get the job done.

You forgot friends don't let friends buy bose! I wont reduce myself to those "bose sucks" arguments, but you can do MUCH better for the price or do just as good for less. They mainly use paper drivers and... well you can go do your own research on that part. They have always run an incredibly successful marketing campaign, brainwashing their name into everyone's heads as being the best. Its like... buying monster cables

Send me some links and I'll replace some speakers.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    AyaHu - check out some of the reviews on CNET and Crave (part of CNET). There are some excellent systems out there than can be purchased for very little $$.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Cnet is paid to give their opinion, I wouldn't trust them with a bag of rocks.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009 edited
    Cnet is an PR network. Companies pay more for a better review.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009
    I've found their reviews to be about 90% accurate (I remember the days when CNET had their own TV program). AyaHu - what specifically are you looking for? i.e. home theater in a box or individual components or ???
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    I already bought mine ;D It has six beautiful bose speakers and a big bose woofer and my gorgeous TV which I got for an outrageously good deal because they price matched plus 10%!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    The only thing I give C-net credit for is com.com.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009 edited
    Sasquatch: The only thing I give C-net credit for is com.com.

for dumb people who type in .com twice.  

I'm pretty old to the internet. There is a real story behind the com.com thing actually. It all had to do with how browsers reacted to incomplete names, invalid domain names, or unregistered domains.  

Basically people would just type "yahoo" the browser would tack on ".com" to it. If there were a domain that wasn't registered like "chicachan.com"... it would not resolve... so the browser would tack on ".com" so it became "chicachan.com.com" and CNET would get all the traffic cause they owned *.com.com.  

No one actually did type in .com twice. hehei am a worm.
  4.  permalink
    AyaHu: Because there is a bose outlet somewhat nearby and they have good deals and the quality makes me shiver!

I know this is a little late, but anyway.  

The only thing I know of about Bose systems is that they do need to be tweaked a bit for install for premium sound. Most people don't know that. If you want to improve the quality of your systems to what Bose loves to advertise, you may want to get a Bose technician to come over and optimize it.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    That Guy in Duluth:
    AyaHu: Because there is a bose outlet somewhat nearby and they have good deals and the quality makes me shiver!

The only thing I know of about Bose systems is that they do need to be tweaked a bit for install for premium sound. Most people don't know that. If you want to improve the quality of your systems to what Bose loves to advertise, you may want to get a Bose technician to come over and optimize it.

This is the kind of thing only a salesman would say. No one else actually believes in that type of stuff. We definitely did tweak it, and it definitely works when playing any form of epic or hopeful music such as Arirang from dwars http://www.imeem.com/people/thByjl/music/oL9w_xZa/steve-jablonsky-arirang/  

But I am open to upgrading my speakers if there is a better set than my mind-numbing six speakers plus woofer bose system which gives me chills just considering listening to Arirang on !Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Mmm, orchestral music. Also, Imeem is awesome.
  5.  permalink
    AyaHu:
    That Guy in Duluth:

The only thing I know of about Bose systems is that they do need to be tweaked a bit for install for premium sound. Most people don't know that. If you want to improve the quality of your systems to what Bose loves to advertise, you may want to get a Bose technician to come over and optimize it.

This is the kind of thing only a salesman would say. No one else actually believes in that type of stuff. We definitely did tweak it, and it definitely works when playing any form of epic or hopeful music such as Arirang from dwars http://www.imeem.com/people/thByjl/music/oL9w_xZa/steve-jablonsky-arirang/  

But I am open to upgrading my speakers if there is a better set than my mind-numbing six speakers plus woofer bose system which gives me chills just considering listening to Arirang on !

As I said. What I heard. I don't sell Bose systems except whatever is in the Computer Speaker aisle.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Sasquatch: Mmm, orchestral music. Also, Imeem is awesome.

Anything by Steve Jablonsky is usually breathtaking. He did the Transformers score. But this is also a traditional Korean song from yonder days and he put it together for D-Wars. It's the only thing good to come from that movie!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    What else should I download?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sasquatch: What else should I download?

pron.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch: What else should I download?

http://www.mediafire.com/?d2m1muzycny TDK Suite no. 2.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    Anytime, Baby.Superhero!