Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I work at the San Diego Fry's as a cashier and am so sick of all the cherry pickers (our term for people who only take high-dollar sales and hold up the line). I am often vanna and I am sick and tired of associates stealing customers or standing around doing nothing until they see a good sale.

I don't know how active this forum is, or if any other Fry's employees are registered here, but something needs to be done about cherry picking because this is bull shit.
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fired for Cherrypicking
    Burkas should be illegal
    Why do so many SMs at Frys believe that software is worthless and Frys should get rid of it?
    This should be called the "Fry's Store 15: San Diego Forum"
    How many employees have actually been fired for posting here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2007
    I agree, I think your commission should be based on a transactions per hour count, do you agree?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGamefreak88
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2007 edited
    I think it should be both, total sales per hour and total transactions per hour. I also think there needs to be more enforcement on the 'no cherrypicking' rule. It would also be nice if the cashiers couldn't see the customers until it's too late. It is bullshit that I am making minimum wage when others who stand around all day and only take laptops or TV's are making $13/hour. The shitty part is if I cherry pick I'm bound to get in trouble, but others do it non-stop and some actually scream or raise hell for a sale, and still nothing is done to punish them. Unfortunately since everyone else does it, I have no choice but to join in. :face-sad:

Pure bull shit. I hope some corporate people read this forum or some San Diego associates / supervisors because something needs to be done. So much for customer service. It should be more like "We'll give you fast courteous service if your sale is over $1500". :face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    There is a similar dynamic on the sales floor. Some associates will camp in high paying aisles, leaving others stranded at the podium during busy times, or even under normal traffic. While there is nothing explicitly wrong with this, it's poor teamwork and makes other associates aggravated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    They need to have cashier supervisors posted at different parts of the cashier area to supervise the employees and write up and fire employees too I also work at the San Diego Store btw!Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoward
    They should pull figure out some mathematical formula for pay commission to cashiers.  

It should be based on average ticket dropping out the a percent of the high and low transactions.  

So high ticket items and low ticket items will have no effect on your check and the whole goal would be to just offer speedy service to everyone.Howard Dean for America '08
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    How about you be more competitive Gamefreak!i am a worm.
  3.  permalink
    They could do it like the group commision based on sales quota in software. The Home Office could set the quota so high you would all never get a raise. Just like software:face-monkey:We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
  4.  permalink
    The only to way to make $13 an hour as a cashier is to Cherry Pick. But I also help over 100 Customers a day. Stop Complaining and get back to work.:face-devil-grin:
  5.  permalink
    stop bottom feeding and share the wealthWe are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2007
    Wow I remember when 13$ an hour seemed high.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2007
    We get it, you've got cash flow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2007
    i hate cherry pickers lol just like in basketball. they spoil everything that is good.the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2007
    The only way to stop the cherry picking is to hide the customers from the cashiers.  

Start the line further back and behind a wall so you don't know who you get next.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCorbinCSA
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2007
    I work at the Austin store, and the sups are starting to crack down on cherry pickers (mostly cause of their not turning on their lights when they're done with a customer and for not getting their Fry's cards[another quite useless quota for the Fry's employees]) The commission system for CSA's is so retarded that it doesn't help those who are laid off because of the new year. As it is I'm stuck at 8 bucks an hour until next quarter (for which i'm applying for a different job). So some of it is also that we CSA's who are planning on different things for the next semester have no incentive for helping more people. While I do my part to help as many as possible, heck sometimes i even get lucky (like my occasional 3-5k sales that come along about once or twice a week) but the pay system at Fry's needs some heavy revamping asap
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2007
    Cherry picking isn't just a cashier thing. This issue should be raised regarding salesmen. Many are rejecting unprofitable customers for profitable ones. Or bouncing them off to other salesmen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSevenup
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2007
    The supervisors have soo many things to do that its not really possible to watch every cashier and prevent cherry picking.  
    At store 28, cashiers 1-5 get most of the big sales because the salesmen walk them up, while registers 6-35 get the regular sales.  

As for salesmen cherry picking, yeah that sucks. But speak to a supervisor about it in private and something should be done. We just got a new salesmen and all he does is camp at the system builds and never helps with the memory. I doubt this will stay like this for long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    asdf:Cherry picking isn't just a cashier thing. This issue should be raised regarding salesmen. Many are rejecting unprofitable customers for profitable ones. Or bouncing them off to other salesmen.

I dont bounce off the unprofitable ones.. I just try to either finish with them quickly or just move on and let someone else pick them up for themselves.. The problem in sales is that.. time is money.  

problem with the high commission table campers is that they are basically doing what they are taught.. sell what pays you. Of course you are going to see a lot of salespeople hanging around the laptop table.. that is what pays.. You won't see them in printers at all because they don't.. you won't see them much in desktops becuase they take longer and dont pay as much.. if they wanted to end that practice they would spread around the commission more. heck when we had the hp c5180 on sale for like $75 and paying $8 i was actually hanging around the printer tables more..I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    I definitely got to saying something about cherry picking for the cashiers  
    The big motive for cherry picking is to get the highest payrate.  

I for one know that I'm a Cherry Picker and everyone in my dept knows including the sups  
    but generalizing cherry picking as ONLY ringing up big sales is absolutely incorrect.  

I usually ring up around 20G's a day which gets u around $13/hour. The motive for me is to make more money  
    but I dont do it unfairly like some other cashiers who have been there way longer. I usually take all customers  
    (except obvious rebates and gift certificates) because the more customers u ring up the more of a chance of  
    getting a big sale. I dont just go wander off and pick my nose only going to my register to get a big sale. I  
    work my butt off and to see u most of u saying crap about cherry pickers makes me mad.  

I mean why is it fair that only CSA have to the clean the restroom, when the sale associates use it more?  
    Is it fair that male CSA have to the carry out, when really the sales associate gets the commission of the sale?  
    I think its fair that i make more than other cashiers like ones who really dont do anythign at all.  

Males should get paid more because they do more labor work than the girls do. The girls have the opprunity to  
    stay at the register more often the guys because the guys have to wait on a carryout.  

Another problem arises when counting customer count and total sales determining cashiers wages is that it will  
    lack in customer service, because then it will want cashiers to get the customer out faster with low customer  
    service satisfaction.  

I say Cherry Picking is fair only when ur ringing up mostly everyone in the line. Besides some BIG SALES could take up an hours time, so their is downfalls to them as well.  

I even teach the new hires to cherry pick because they'll help me out by giving me big sales, instead of it being wasted by uncertified ppl.  

Even if everyone got paid 13 an hour, it would still be unfair cuz some ppl will work hard others wont...  

its just life and everyone has to think about themselves or their family,  
    so dont hate on cherry pickers because some of them might have family they need to feed  
    :face-angel:Las Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    Every cashier is a Cherry Picker  

No matter what...Las Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    You're a cashier. That's why you clean our restrooms, that's why you handle the carryouts. Don't like it? Find another job. Can't? Stop complaining.  
    Not every cashier is a cherry picker. Only the bad ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    I never said anything about not liking my job  

i really like it at frys  

im just wondering y u want cashiers to be fired for cherry picking  

and why u gotta be an asshole when someone is pointing something out or explaing a reasonLas Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    I'm glad that cashiers are trying their best to make sure my sales go through actually. Thanks cherry pickers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    They don't give a shit about our quotes. If it's faster for them to just scan the items, they will. They still get their credit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Actually we dont give a shit about the quotes when a sales associates fucks up  

and ones that don't bring everything down (like memory)  

if i have to do the work because someone messed up a quote, mostly like i wont scan it  
    (most of the time its this one dumb camera lady)  

and besides if we ignore quotes we get written up and the sales associates will know and eventually stop bring sales to that one person who doesnt scan the quotesLas Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthoromfgninjas
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008
    Sasquatch:I agree, I think your commission should be based on a transactions per hour count, do you agree?

I completely agree with this.  

Customer count encourages timely work and line movement which equals more money. Net total encourages lazy cashiers to watch for expensive items which total dozens of smaller sales and leads to longer lines.
  6.  permalink
    All you new kids have no reason to complain about cherry picking. Back when cashiers made REAL commission (not this quarterly bullshit), CSAs would damn near bribe Sups to put them at registers near the start of the line. Some would even flag down a high ticket customer before their previous transaction had finished. And people would get into scream fights in the breakroom. It was that bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGamefreak88
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008 edited
    My opinion on cherry picking has changed signifigantly since I first started. I now understand that everyone has a family to support and bills to pay. And those who have more expenses, cherry pick more. I now believe that it's not about whether it's right or wrong, it's about how you do it. Some cashiers are courteous and play fair, but some make their own line of TV's, laptops, and washer/dryers in front of their register and ring nothing but big sales. I lightly cherry pick. If I see a good sale walk by me, I'll call the customer over. If I see a sales person, I'll call them over too. But I'm not going to go cry and complain if I don't get the sale. I'm also not going refuse small sales or gift certificates, unless of course I am low on cash. And if theres a line, chances are I'll help bust it out, often missing big sales that the ruthless cherry pickers snatch up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSevenup
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008
    cashier27:Actually we dont give a shit about the quotes when a sales associates fucks up  

and ones that don't bring everything down (like memory)  

if i have to do the work because someone messed up a quote, mostly like i wont scan it  
    (most of the time its this one dumb camera lady)  

and besides if we ignore quotes we get written up and the sales associates will know and eventually stop bring sales to that one person who doesnt scan the quotes

Good job.. I used to do the same thing when I was a cashier.  
    AV rarely brings their cameras to the registers, so their goes the quote.
  7.  permalink
    I work in store #29 South Houston and i work 40 hours a week ringing up at least 65 k in total, but i just try to go fast. Its just luck at store 29, because if yours in registers 35-27, customers dont want to walk your way if they got carts or strollers and are too damn lazy,..if you're in registers 15- 1 you better hope the vanna person isnt that blind or stupid to see your ass. and if youre in some registers like 30, 27, 17 , 16 and youre missing a greenlight/redlight,stapler or your computer keeps on crashing, then you're also screwed. register 23,24,26,18,21...etc are the best places. there are also sales associates that try hard to skip their vanna,cart run or their own carry outs!!! the highest earning cs associate is always mostly on 23, he turns his green light immedeatelly after he has a carryout, so when we ask him, he always replies that a customer walked to his register. There is a couple of cherry pickers. on weekends it is hard to cherry pick . regardless though i beleive that there should be a customer intake to sales ammount in order to show commision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    bmode13: I work in store #29 South Houston and i work 40 hours a week ringing up at least 65 k in total, but i just try to go fast. Its just luck at store 29, because if yours in registers 35-27, customers dont want to walk your way if they got carts or strollers and are too damn lazy,..if you're in registers 15- 1 you better hope the vanna person isnt that blind or stupid to see your ass. and if youre in some registers like 30, 27, 17 , 16 and youre missing a greenlight/redlight,stapler or your computer keeps on crashing, then you're also screwed. register 23,24,26,18,21...etc are the best places. there are also sales associates that try hard to skip their vanna,cart run or their own carry outs!!! the highest earning cs associate is always mostly on 23, he turns his green light immedeatelly after he has a carryout, so when we ask him, he always replies that a customer walked to his register. There is a couple of cherry pickers. on weekends it is hard to cherry pick . regardless though i beleive that there should be a customer intake to sales ammount in order to show commision.

The closer you are to the vanna the better. Plus you can see what these people are buying and cherry pick as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    again real jobs poeple read a book and learn somthing quit picking your nose and playing psp instead study and do something with your lifeLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  8.  permalink
    In the real world, you got to be aggressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    in the real world you gotta stop fucking around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    In the real world, Sasquatch's don't use the internet.
    •  
      CommentAuthoremulous
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008
    cashier's ha! what a shit job cashier on comm but half the time clean restrooms/parking lot carts/paint/cater food/loading cars(if your male)...totally fucked ...if you get promoted to sup in cs = software salesman lol it's truehttp://curelost.com
  9.  permalink
    Yeah i get mine thought i ring up like 2.5k and hour or more. Just sucks when you have 1 dumb ass sup that makes u do more than you're supposed to.lol. plus i get a lot of frys cards for some odd reason.I average a frys card every other day...on black friday which was my first day as a cashier, i had 3 and i rang up 45 k but i messed up on 4 imprints because no one explained it to me. regardless i had fun.
  10.  permalink
    sh00tamcgavin: cashier's ha! what a shit job cashier on comm but half the time clean restrooms/parking lot carts/paint/cater food/loading cars(if your male)...totally fucked ...if you get promoted to sup in cs = software salesman lol it's true

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to get out of the department... I don't want to mess up like my sups did =p. I've been getting rid of Fry's card and telling the store asst manager that if I can fry's card, I'd for sure be able to sell a computer or it's software lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthoremulous
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008 edited
    good luck dude..but yeah cashier=shithttp://curelost.com
  11.  permalink
    Well I asked my dep. manager if I could be moved to returns... since it's customer service as well it would be an easy transfer... He told me sure- I have to wait for an opening... But I'm starting to question it because my greatest strength would also be the whole reason they wouldn't want to move me. Returns don't have to sell Fry's card, so they'd be losing a good 5-7 a week from me.
  12.  permalink
    asdf: Cherry picking isn't just a cashier thing. This issue should be raised regarding salesmen. Many are rejecting unprofitable customers for profitable ones. Or bouncing them off to other salesmen.

Haha...now lets play the flipside...how about every single customer doesn't come in for the sale of the day laptop? Tell me what motivation I have besides that hell of high hourly pay do I have to chase them down and spend my valuable time with them? That's right...I don't get paid for those items, fuck yes I'm going to run and hide from those customers. I missed a $300 sale today because I was selling a fucking sale piece and someone walked up and was like OH HEY, I WANT TWO SONY Zs with 5 years AND TOSS ON 2 APPLE CINEMA DISPLAYS WITH 5 Years ASWELL! Get fucking real, if Fry's was worried about quality customer service they would convert everyone to a decent hourly payrate, where they would be exploited by people hiding in the bathrooms taking hour long dumps instead of helping customers. Commission ensures that we are motivated to make the company money. The company in return brings us customers in for sale items, it is our job to SELL, imagine that.