Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles  
    FTA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7227_ndqQ&fmt=18  

Does anyone else have a well founded opinion on vinyl vs CD's? Can anyone recommend a quality record player?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    The original Fry's Discussion site is shut down: frys.sthomas.net
    Added Discussion Counter
    the me discussion and what i have done in the last 2 months
    You must enter a value for the discussion topic input.
    Fry's Audio/Video Salesmen are overpaid and ripoff customers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStillborne
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009
    Good read. I know I have high standards, but damn that guys standards exceed mine x1000000 in heartbeat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009
    I am extremely curious how a $350,000 sound system sounds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009
    im no audio freek but my 40 dollar mp3 players audio sucks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBakaBaka
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009
    Sasquatch: I am extremely curious how a $350,000 sound system sounds.

Same here. Must be beautiful, since its worth 350000$
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sasquatch: http://i.gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles  
    FTA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7227_ndqQ&fmt=18  

Does anyone else have a well founded opinion on vinyl vs CD's? Can anyone recommend a quality record player?

Well music at 22050 hz sounds terrible. 44100hz CD-quality audio sounds good, so analog has to sound way better since its infinite-samples.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    "SACD is a disc of identical physical dimensions to the compact disc but it uses a very different technology from CD and DVD-Audio to encode its audio data, a 1-bit delta-sigma modulation process known as Direct Stream Digital at the very high sampling rate of 2822.4 kHz."  

Progress, I suppose.
  2.  permalink
    Another failed sony technology. When it comes to audiophiles all that matters is uncompressed 2.8ghz sampled audio lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2009
    Beats 44.1 KHz. S'all I'm saying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009
    Guest: Another failed sony technology. When it comes to audiophiles all that matters is uncompressed 2.8ghz sampled audio lol

Actually the CD was a sony technology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Don't forget Blu-ray.  

*COUGH COUGHeventhoughtheyonlywonbecausetheybribedwarnerbrothersfourhundredmilliondollarsCOUGH*
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Isn't Sony japanese for DieYouYankeeDog?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLurch
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Analog has an infinite sample rate and will never be beat by digital RE-PRODUCTION. Leaders in psycoacoustics believe even though the human ear only hears to about 20khz that the brain picks up on cues up to 50khz. Vinyl is the shit except that it wears with play and if you have a set-up like me that reaches 140db-in-room, then they skip too. You don't have to buy speakers the price of a house to have great sound, almost all recording studios uses some pair of Genelec speakers or another. Get a good set ($4000) and your listening to the music the way the artist heard it when they recorded it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Lurch: Analog has an infinite sample rate and will never be beat by digital RE-PRODUCTION. Leaders in psycoacoustics believe even though the human ear only hears to about 20khz that the brain picks up on cues up to 50khz. Vinyl is the shit except that it wears with play and if you have a set-up like me that reaches 140db-in-room, then they skip too. You don't have to buy speakers the price of a house to have great sound, almost all recording studios uses some pair of Genelec speakers or another. Get a good set ($4000) and your listening to the music the way the artist heard it when they recorded it.

LOL at 20khz, i can tell the difference between 44khz and 22khz. Its not good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLurch
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    asdf:
    Lurch: Analog has an infinite sample rate and will never be beat by digital RE-PRODUCTION. Leaders in psycoacoustics believe even though the human ear only hears to about 20khz that the brain picks up on cues up to 50khz. Vinyl is the shit except that it wears with play and if you have a set-up like me that reaches 140db-in-room, then they skip too. You don't have to buy speakers the price of a house to have great sound, almost all recording studios uses some pair of Genelec speakers or another. Get a good set ($4000) and your listening to the music the way the artist heard it when they recorded it.

LOL at 20khz, i can tell the difference between 44khz and 22khz. Its not good.

I'm talking about the audiable hearing range as in frequency response and your talking about sample rates, and in the realm of sample rates 44khz isn't anything special. In fact the sample rate is halved when applying it into what your ears hear (stereo not mono) which is what I'm talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    If he can hear a 44kHz tone, we should call The Enquirer. "Yes, hello? I think I found Bat Boy!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    Well, they do make those high pitched buzzes to scare away teenagers in London. It's some high pitched noise only me and other young people can hear, supposedly. My idiotic coworker kept playing the noise again and again. I'm not sure how high the frequency is. Then there are EVPs.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    There's an app on the iphone called sound grenade, it emits a loud, high pitched whine. People use it at work sometimes, it's annoying as hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    Punk-ass kids.Superhero!