Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndlicia
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    I pride myself in being a hard worker, and not a day goes by where I go home  
    having not broken a sweat.... Occationally I (backstock guy) get stopped by customers on the floor. I am knowledgable about things in my department, so I always stop and help them. My department head said that "it is in my best interest if I don't ever talk to a customer again" and that "this is the last time he is going to tell me." can this be considered a threat? If so what should I do. Also, is it right for a manager to tell me who I can and can't talk to as far as other associates in my department?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Yes, they have every right. They determine how they want their employees to work. You can or cannot take it, if not, find a better job with a less crappy manager or switch departments.Superhero!
  1.  permalink
    As long as the threats are dircted twords the work enviroment yeah they can threaten your job. Basically the only threat the manager can get in trouble for is a sexual harassment threat.  

If he doesn't want you to help customers then just dirct the customer to the department's podium so a sales or accessory sales person can help them out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThadius
    What happened to the customers come first?  
    Stocking is important but to help a customer should be your first responsiblity.  
    As stated before, I guess it's just how some people run things.  
    But to be threatened for that?  
    Yeah, that's quite something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpcghostII
    OK no it is not alright for them to threaten you, it clearly states in the hand book that a manager cannot show anger toward any employee and what the Dept Manager showed was anger. Second you are a associate of fry's so you are to help the customer if they need help, be it taking the customer to the floor dsc podium for help or finding a sales associate for the customer. I would also go to the store assistant manager or the store manager and talk to them about the incident that happened, do it in a calm manner and hopefully it can get resolved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Wow....your manager sounds like a manager and supervisor I used to be under. Your manager is potentially creating what's known as a "hostile work environment". Your manager IS out of line by telling you not to talk to customers, especially when they approach you first. If he/she/it doesn't offer a solution of how to handle this type of situation (i.e. the customer apporaches you), they're out of line. Additionally, them telling you who you which employees you can and can not talk to is way out of line.  

Yes - you have a grievence. However, you work for a company that doesn't care about it's employees. Chances are that if you filed a grievence against your manager, he'd retaliate and have you fired. But...oh yeah...that's against federal labor laws.  

My suggestion is to file a grievence, and be prepared to contact the Department of Labor. Have as much documentation available as possible. i.e. good reviews by your manager, anything that he's directly written you up on, keep a log of the dates/times and what was said when they told you not to talk to customers/employees, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndlicia
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009
    The reason givin to me for not talking to customers was because I "wear a grey shirt," even though my shirt has the fry's logo really big on the side. I'm not real worried about my job; I just don't understand why I can't help when I know what I'm doing and it doesn't jepardise my working habits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Like I said, your manager is being a horse's butt. What needs to be clarified is whether there is anything in the Fried employee manual about this. If it's silent, then your manager is on very shaky ground. Add into that his comment about which employees you can and can't talk to. Again, file a grievence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    File a complaint for hostile work environment.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKDP49
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    DM's and sups usually arent like that but sometimes if sales people complain that youre helpin customers when youre not suposed to , like say if you are Accessory Sales or in the Recieving Department , and you dont make commision on items they get mad because yorue talking to customers that they should be talking to.. that was the case at our store, where some sales peopel complained that accessories were talking to customers instead of them
    •  
      CommentAuthorKaelyn Amira
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010 edited
    They shouldn't, you are trying to help the customer which is in the store's best interest since they obviously have not gotten the help they were seeking from a sales associate. But, yes, they can...odd as it sounds they can order you to not help customers. *shrug* Just go along with it. I used to do the same thing until I got told to shut up, so I did. Nothing you can do about. Sounds rather odd for getting in trouble for trying to help a customer, but that's Fry's for you. No sense in it whatsoever.
  2.  permalink
    Its not really right that they threaten you, but they usualy can get away with it, if they word it right.
  3.  permalink
    Sounds to me like instead of doing your job, you like to take 10 min breaks and wander around the store helping customers. He wants you to do your job, not someone else's. Someone has a question on dvd players? Send em to a/v podium. That is it. He has the right to tell you he wants you to work a certain way and he is not going to tell you again. That is completely fair. Don't listen to these morons here, just go work your job like a good lil boy. Welcome to a job, get used to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 202
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011
    Hey please tell me what is your store and department number ? is that issue still occurs ? I can take it up to my district manager so that way we make sure the sups or managers are not crossing their lines.

Thanks!
  4.  permalink
    fucking set up haha
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    LOL just look at any store. Most of the DM's at any frys are power hungry idiots who only got the position they have now by spending some time under the store manager's desk. Hell I had a DM at 21 lie in front of the store managers face then back pedal when I threatened to bring out witnesses and nothing happened to him. I even had a sup 1 in front of the CS Manager threaten to clock out, punch me in the face then fire me one day and nothing happened to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    Unemployment here we come...