Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011
    There is no hourly rate now. With the exception of accessories ($8.00 an hour roughly) and Service (12-15 an hour) it's straight commission with draw and if you draw 6 weeks in a row, your fired.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Frys price matching question
    Fry's Electronics low price guarantee policy
    Competitor Price Matching, Best Buy’s Self-Destructive Online Price-Match Program
    Fry's Return Policy/Restocking Fees
    Fry's Open Door Policy
  2.  permalink
    Guest: Price Matching is Fry's way of screwing over sales staff.  

Step 2: Salesperson must print out competitors price ad and show DSC for approval. 5 mins (Store 10 components and computer department has broken printers, so salesperson must go to another department podium to print out ad. 15 minutes due to repeating step 1)  

Hey, I built all those computers ar store 10 :face-crying:http://www.frysblackfriday.com
  3.  permalink
    Look, it's just the cycle of retail life. Customers are trying to save and sales people are trying to earn a living. Yes, price matching screws over the sales guy when it happens, but that's just how it goes (how often do consumers get screwed?). You win some and you lose some. Take your punches and go onto the next. Stores have to price match because it's a competitive market. Without customers, you wouldn't even have commission to take home in the first place. Price matching is going to happen and you could either gripe about it till your face falls off, or you can just accept that it's a practice that businesses have to take to keep getting customers into the stores. Give and take people. I'm sure you're not taking in 50 price matches a day where you have absolutely no time to generate any sales.
  4.  permalink
    BorderPatrol:
    Guest: Price Matching is Fry's way of screwing over sales staff.  

Step 2: Salesperson must print out competitors price ad and show DSC for approval. 5 mins (Store 10 components and computer department has broken printers, so salesperson must go to another department podium to print out ad. 15 minutes due to repeating step 1)  

Hey, I built all those computers ar store 10 :face-crying:

:face-sad: There there.. there there. You're just doing your best with the parts you have available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    Guest: To recap thread:  

Frys is a crappy place to work  

Price matching and taking it out of the associates pay is unethical at best  

LPG WILL hit comission just like a pricematch  

Skullywag is a buttertroll fuckface  

That is all

Sorry bud. Trolls are the folks who post under "guest".  
    "Unethical" is getting paid a commission for simply ringing up an item, or bullsh*ting a customer who really neeeds advice, into buying whatever pays the salesperson the most commission.  
    And before you try to deny it....read, read, and read some more here....very few posts here by employees about "helping" a customer....most are about commission, what pays more commission, commission, what to push for more commission, commission, commission.....  
    If Frys dumped the whole commission idea, and paid their employees a DECENT LIVING WAGE, maybe they would have a better class of employees. As it is...Frys and it's people are pretty much bottom of the barrel commission chasers.
  5.  permalink
    I went to fry's to pricematch meritline.com. It was a hp toner. They had the exact item in the store. After checking the online price with shipping and getting a manager, they refused, how, by saying oh you have to put in NEXT DAY or SAME DAY shipping because you get it right now. So that would put the price over Fry's price!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    Now you know why Fry's has such a lousy (but well deserved) reputation.
  6.  permalink
    Curious about all the hate here.

I just came back from Frys and had no problem getting a price match for about 40 percent off there price. Of course I went prepared with a printout from the website which I wanted matched and I gave them a copy so they had that to hand to the supervisor. I also had stopped by customer service as I walked through the door and showed them the printout while asking where the item would be located and who to speak to. That way everyone was on the same page and not surprised at any stage of the process. Why make it hard when you are trying to get a deal. Make it easy for them to give it to you! Be the one guy that is smarter than the others that just go through life expecting some one to hand them their meal and then if they actually get it not even say thank you.

Took me 12 minutes, guys, to save $45. You bet I smiled and made it easy to help me!
  7.  permalink
    Frys has the best price match policy, best black friday call back for pre order system, and best non DOA rate i have had from supplier in awhile. customer service can lag sometimes and take extra time but this has proven beneficial when getting phone calls from customers of my own, or taking cigarette break while they process refunds, or bathroom break, soda break, 50 cent soda vending machines by checkout are always stocked. :D  

15 day price match on cpu/memory internet price match, come back later with receipt and get refunded, who beats that
  8.  permalink
    when ordering from newegg its always free local pickup with will call. no need to add shipping fee.
  9.  permalink
    Came home from the Tempe, AZ after being denied a price match on an Asus PB278Q. The dept. mgr. refused it due to it being a limited quantity. He came up withe this by going out to Amazon, finding it for $80 cheaper, and it showed "In Stock". Not "only 3 left at this price" or anything like that. So he added it to the cart and proceeded to up the quantity until it told him there were no more. That number was 5, meaning there were only 4 at Amazon. That was his limited quantity. As I was leaving I spoke to a supervisor up front and she looked it up and couldn't find anything wrong with the match. She called back and had it brought up so she could do it. Well, apparently she needed manager approval due to the amount. Guess who the MIC was? Yep, same guy who refused it the first time.
    Every other time I've gotten a match it's simply look it up, verify it's sold and shipped by Amazon and I'm good to go. I think in this case he didn't want to lose any profit. I've heard horror stories of the same thing happening at BB.
    I'm not going to spend $80 just to have it tonight, so simply ordered it from Amazon as soon as I got home.
  10.  permalink
    <blockquote><cite> Guest:</cite> Came home from the Tempe, AZ after being denied a price match on an Asus PB278Q. The dept. mgr. refused it due to it being a limited quantity. He came up withe this by going out to Amazon, finding it for $80 cheaper, and it showed "In Stock". Not "only 3 left at this price" or anything like that. So he added it to the cart and proceeded to up the quantity until it told him there were no more. That number was 5, meaning there were only 4 at Amazon. That was his limited quantity. As I was leaving I spoke to a supervisor up front and she looked it up and couldn't find anything wrong with the match. She called back and had it brought up so she could do it. Well, apparently she needed manager approval due to the amount. Guess who the MIC was? Yep, same guy who refused it the first time.
    Every other time I've gotten a match it's simply look it up, verify it's sold and shipped by Amazon and I'm good to go. I think in this case he didn't want to lose any profit. I've heard horror stories of the same thing happening at BB.
    I'm not going to spend $80 just to have it tonight, so simply ordered it from Amazon as soon as I got home. </blockquote>

Department managers' salaries are based off the department's gross profits. Of course he didn't wanna do it for you. Not only would he lose profits himself but he'd also get yelled at by his district department manager and good ol' John and Randy Fry would threaten to take away his job. Welcome to Fry's yo!
  11.  permalink
    Guest 62860,

Nah, the DM was just being a dick. Nobody from Home Office would question a price match at the store level unless it was something crazy like a TV for half off. Some DM's see the value of price matching for customers. Doing so ensures that they continue to come in. Some are idiots and look for reasons to say NO, no matter how small the reason is. Based on the story, this DM was the latter.
  12.  permalink
    Next time ask for the store manager, David Keith. He would've approved it in a heartbeat
  13.  permalink
    I really don't understand how the customer doesn't know that we price match.
    The signs are all over the store, yet they don't see it until the register.
    Plus when we tell them that it has to be shipped & sold by the site (and they have some 3rd party price), they get uppity.
    Not to mention some places (like Micro Center) have actual stores, and some items are in store only.
    Guess what, there's no Micro Center store within 300 miles...so we can't match it.

Plus they do it often with quotes.
    Just ask the salesperson to do it (yet 99% of the time they won't even do promo codes)...
  14.  permalink
    Ahhh, I get it. All you guys that pricematch intentionally. I get it now. Not only you want to take advantage of a system that allows for you to get a lower price and get it now, but you also want to frustrate the employees at Fry's into quitting their jobs. I guess that in your mind, that if you get people to quit their jobs at Fry's then Fry's will go out of business.

I understand the game now.
  15.  permalink
    And if Fry's goes out of business, then you price-matching assholes are going to do it at another retail store. You're going to keep doing this tactic over and over until all brick and mortar retail stores have gone out of business, due to this kind of bullshit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2015
    Note to Guest 25486 - Best Buy price-matches without any problems or issues, or whining and sniveling like a little girl. You call it BS - the rest call it business.  

Fry's pay system is a totally different issue. If you like working for commission only and enjoy being screwed over by your employer, continue to work there. If not, there are other places to work.
  16.  permalink
    Okay. So as a salesman, are we supposed to just suck it up and just allow people to price-match things? Are we supposed to just let everyone know that they can pricematch items for cheaper, even if it means that were not going to make any money on the item? Were supposed to be okay with this for the sake of making the customer happy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2015
    Guest: Okay. So as a salesman, are we supposed to just suck it up and just allow people to price-match things? Are we supposed to just let everyone know that they can pricematch items for cheaper, even if it means that were not going to make any money on the item? Were supposed to be okay with this for the sake of making the customer happy?

The short answer - yes.  

The longer answer - yes - we know that Fry's pay structure sucks, and that you're penalized when a customer wants a price match. You don't have to work for Fry's though. You can work elsewhere. If Fry's loses enough employees to where they can't operate, or if enough employees continue to complain about the unfair pay structure, then Fry's might take some action and maybe change their pay structure (I wouldn't hold my breath on that though).
  17.  permalink
    Now I am curious. Are there any retail jobs that have better pay structure, that you know of?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2015
    Higher end clothing retailers - Nordstrom, Macy's, etc.  

Time for a reality check - Fry's has mickeymoused their pay structure over the past few years to make sure they pay as little to the associate as possible.
  18.  permalink
    For retail, I hear Wal-mart's raising wages. Check out natural food grocers/farmers market places like Aldi, Trader Joes and Whole foods they have much better pay, sometimes benefits. Beware they hire/keep those that'll work hard. Open positions are difficult to find, because less employees are needed when the employer trusts employees to do their job.

Also curious, do the name badges still have the black tag? A week after I moved on to a career, everyone had the new black price matching signs for their badges. If a customer bothered to read your name, they'll ask for a price match.
  19.  permalink
    They now don't mention the price-match policy on your badge, instead they say to sign up for promo codes at fry's com. In fact, now that I think of it there was a big price-matching sign on one of the walls that was taken down. The only places that really mention anything about price-matching now is at the registers. The associates usually rip down the 3 x 5 signs that are placed on some of the store shelves and claim they needed the 3 x 5 sign holders for ad price signage.
  20.  permalink
    Most of the salesmen usually just direct customers to the registers whenever they ask about pricematching. Kinda a subtle way of telling a customer to fuck off.
  21.  permalink
    "So as a salesman, are we supposed to just suck it up and just allow people to price-match things?"

If only Fry's had a clearly defined policy regarding price matching so there wouldn't be an ambiguity on this matter.

Oh right, it does: http://www.frys.com/onlineads/0001507075
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015
    Guest: Most of the salesmen usually just direct customers to the registers whenever they ask about pricematching. Kinda a subtle way of telling a customer to fuck off.

....and that's the attitude that drives customers away from Fry's
  22.  permalink
    ObiWan: And I say good riddance. Nobody needs cheapskates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015 edited
    Guest: ObiWan: And I say good riddance. Nobody needs cheapskates.

So you're saying YOU personally would rather pay full price for everything, even if you didn't have to, correct/
  23.  permalink
    is it full price? or is it just the price that covers the cost of the extra labor needed to recommend a product?
    Is it really being cheap when someone wants to price match? These people are usually looking for a recommendation still sometimes, you don't have to waste too much time to explain it, you can tell them there's something better, if they don't want it, you're really not losing a lot of money or time from the customer buying that item off a price match... It's not actually coming out of your wallet, it's coming out of corporate's.

You could just, you know, tell them the printer they want isn't that great, you can tell them there may be a better one. if they insist you didn't waste too much time explaining. the quote for a price match shouldn't even take that long.

What's really annoying are people who want an item and ask for every site under the sun to price match, you can use a merch to do that and they can double check back with you or with a sup. I've found that sups are more than happy to be the go between during price matches, because they know how it is to be sales. get your head out your butt other guest. Maybe, you know, strategize and talk to your co-workers. not everything's about you(r wallet), you(r time), you(r pride).
  24.  permalink
    I honestly dont mind price matching for a customer. Now there are different scenarios. Most the time its kids who already picked whatever gaming headset or mouse they wanted, i'll gladly help them out. I didnt spend any time with them at all and its very rare that they ask for my suggestion on what to get as they have already done all of their research. But a lot of the other times, the scenario is this:
    "Hey whats your cheapest good laptop?"
    "I'm sorry what do you mean?"
    "I want something that can do this, this, and this. All at your cheapest price."
    "Okay well this laptop right here should be good for you then."
    "Alright good. Now price match for me."
    "No problem. From where?"
    "I dont know just do it, I heard you guys do it."

At that moment, I pull out my phone and call my departments phone number and pretend like there was a problem at the registers/returns and quickly bounce.

If you are really smart about it, sometimes you can just price match the crap out of some computers just to easily get PSC. Way back when we used to carry HP laser printers that would pay absolute 0, I would price match the shit out of that even if the customer did not want any PSC because fuck you Randy Fry and anybody that loves you.
  25.  permalink
    I never liked the idea of pricematching for the sake of getting a PSC, because the pricematching asshole could easily come back (and usually does) the next day and return the PSC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015
    Guest: ObiWan: And I say good riddance. Nobody needs cheapskates.

And that's why you SUCK at your job.  

You need every customer that walks through the door, because without them you do not have your shitty little job.  
    If you cannot stand dealing with customers (even those looking for the best price), you have no business working in retail. A job that requires sticking your hands in your pockets half the day, begging to print quotes the other half, and you still bitch?  
    The customer did not create the price matching policy, YOUR EMPLOYER did...if you have a problem with it, bitch about THEM.  

I hear Walmart is raising their entry level pay to $10 hr....sounds PERFECT for you...just ask for the night shift tho, you wouldn't want to come in contact with those nasty customers....
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2020
    Just thought I'd reply to some old "gems" to bring them to the top of post list, and show how Fry's got to where it is today. Spoiler Alert: It's NOT Amazon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunPun
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2020
    Actually, in this case, unlike most, I'm inclined to believe that is amazon pressure that caused this in the first place. Couple that with the employer's insistence on 100% commission & lack of downsizing on inventory and space, plus the fact Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world & wants to live his fantasy of being Jean Lucent picard...  

...well, you get the picture.  

It's a complex problem, and amazon is part of that equation.