Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    I just saw some consumer tip about Best Buy and it's private labels like Dynex. They made a big deal about how their private labels are special to consumers and how they are the industry leader in private labels. Though not as popular as major brand names their private labels are backed by Best Buy. Now why do they get all the credit since Fry's and others like WalMart have been doing private labels since day one. It would be cool to have a list of private labels since they do save you money.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Prediction: Fry's to go Bankrupt or Go Private or Be Sold
    Private messages don't work
    click send a private message anybody can see the wall
    Best Buy's Geek Squad Steals Personal Photos & Private Video's from Customers
    Private Messaging On The Site
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    There's a big difference between Best Buy's "private labels" (Dynex and Insignia) and Fry's - quality
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Yeah, Frys private labels usually suck. Like this laptop cooler that I bought which died within 20 days... I still rest my computer on it, but it's dead.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgogetenkz
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2009
    How long do these "private labels" typically last compared to the major brand names?  
    I've seen them around but tend to avoid them and stick to the names that I know, because of potential quality issues. Prices could be cheaper, but would it be worth it in the long run?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2009
    AyaHu: Yeah, Frys private labels usually suck. Like this laptop cooler that I bought which died within 20 days... I still rest my computer on it, but it's dead.

Touching, almost.
  2.  permalink
    Honestly, there aren't too many private labels at Fry's anymore and as others have noted they rarely were worth the savings. Both the Fry's PCs and the GQ computers were private labels although they were really just rebranded ECS junk. I remember I bought one for fun once and the model number and the manual were identical to the same ECS model. It is rumored that ECS was implicated in the Siddiqui scandal and ECS has since fallen out of favor with Fry's. I don't think I have seen an ECS bundle advertised since. Furthermore, there haven't been any new Fry's or GQ computers in over a year it is safe to say that Fry's has given up on their own white boxes. The mistake that they kept making was using ECS junk and not focusing on the mid range where the real profits are made.  

Honestly, a lot of the Dynex private label stuff isn't much cheaper for the consumer(eg. Dynex mini-DVI to DVI adapter is $27 as opposed to $29), but it is much cheaper for the store to purchase. In other words they tend to be a better bargain for Best Buy than they are for the consumer. If you work for Best Buy you could buy the private label stuff for a real bargain, but generally speaking I think the only wallet you are lining by buying BB's private label stuff is Best Buy's.  

I've seen some cheap Dynex TVs that are bargain from time to time, but most of the time I think that private labels in technology especially on higher end stuff are penny wise and pound foolish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2009
    Former_Frys_geek:It is rumored that ECS was implicated in the Siddiqui scandal and ECS has since fallen out of favor with Fry's. I don't think I have seen an ECS bundle advertised since.

Correct. Airlink is another brand that we will no longer be carrying, because of the scandal.  

Scandalous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sasquatch:
    Former_Frys_geek:It is rumored that ECS was implicated in the Siddiqui scandal and ECS has since fallen out of favor with Fry's. I don't think I have seen an ECS bundle advertised since.

Correct. Airlink is another brand that we will no longer be carrying, because of the scandal.  

Scandalous.

Airlink was one of the best hacker friendly brands of our time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    I assume Siddiqui was behind many of the private labels. Especially since most of the private label companies where founded by Fry's corporate employees.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    asdf:Especially since most of the private label companies where founded by Fry's corporate employees.

Details.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009 edited
    I know my dad is cursing private labels now...the company he works for sold some "private label stuff" to a certain large retailer (not frys) and the items aren't selling and now the retailer is returning them and my dad's employer can't sell the items to another retailer. So now they have to send the items from one retailer location to another until it eventually sells all units or think of the scary profit loss numbers like everyone else. So, yeah, private labels suck. They don't save much to consumers (apparently) and give the manufacturer a greater headache than the non-private-label substitutes.  

As for ECS motherboards, I rather like them. This budget computer that I built is running on an ECS from Fry's and its working just fine for about 2 years now. Just never buy open box motherboards, those are just a joke.  

No more airlink? Yay! Hated that stuff...always had customers buying it say what a great deal it was and having to bite my tongue from telling them that its a piece of crud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009
    Sell them to woot.
  3.  permalink
    Sasquatch:
    asdf:Especially since most of the private label companies where founded by Fry's corporate employees.

Details.

His statement isn't really correct, it is more like a lot of those "private label" (even though they are their own companies, not owned by Fry's) Fry's or ex-Fry's employees held positions in, that was the whole thing with Omar, he played both sides of the table and negotiated worse prices for Fry's but "better" prices for the company he worked for, thus creating bigger "bonuses" for himself.  

It is actually pretty common in the industry of computer parts manufacturing for these people to work for multiple companies, just not in the positions that compliment each other on each side of the bargaining table. As far as I know, and I do know, there are no companies that Fry's resells merch for that Fry's Directly owns. Ex Fry's employees or drinking buddies of the Fry brothers? Ya, more than likely, but hey, that's business. You trust who you trust is going to give you the best deal.