Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    Is it true they are hurting badly?Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  1.  permalink
    flea: Is it true they are hurting badly?

I've been to the store in Duluth on Saturdays and its as crowded as a regular weekday afternoon. Not good for Duluth!!!
  2.  permalink
    The San Diego Frys is still busy. Same with the rest of the other SoCal frys. I don't think they are going anywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch

It's a good pain.
  3.  permalink
    Yeah, sales are down but i wouldn't agree that the company is in trouble. I do know that a few stores in D3 are performing poorly. (like duluth that was mentioned) If stores start closing down then i would say that the co. is hurting badly, but thankfully we havent gotten to that point yet. whats happening now is that stores are focusing on maintaining profit by reducing expense, labor, ect. The top stores are still busy as hell... San diego, Industry, Vegas, Renton, Phoenix... are doing just fine. ;P
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    They seem incredibly busy to me.Superhero!
  4.  permalink
    meinside100:

I've been to the store in Duluth on Saturdays and its as crowded as a regular weekday afternoon. Not good for Duluth!!!

But they are not closing it down. Milton is worse anyway.  

Reason why they will not close down Duluth location is because the County has this little revitalization of the area perk. If your business stays open for a consecutive ten years, the County will pay back the costs for the land and the construction costs of the building.  

Sounds like a deal to me.  

But yeah, I think generally Fry's will stay. Much better money management than Circuit City. Most of the stores are meeting projections.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsilver
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009
    SoCal stores seem busy when I visit them.  

The Las Vegas store was pretty busy this past weekend too.  

I don't think Fry's is going anywhere anytime soon (this is a customer's viewpoint)  

Other retailers (Guitar Center as one example) have WAY more overhead and only really target the musical instrument industry and touch on other things, where Fry's is so diverse with a product mix they appeal to a broader audience.
  5.  permalink
    Department Nine: Yeah, sales are down but i wouldn't agree that the company is in trouble. I do know that a few stores in D3 are performing poorly. (like duluth that was mentioned) If stores start closing down then i would say that the co. is hurting badly, but thankfully we havent gotten to that point yet. whats happening now is that stores are focusing on maintaining profit by reducing expense, labor, ect. The top stores are still busy as hell... San diego, Industry, Vegas, Renton, Phoenix... are doing just fine. ;P

Where do you harvest your information from? Sales arn't down, sales and profits are up. There are new stores slated in the near future.  

Just think about it, in the last 2 years, 2 major competitors have fallen, plus best buy isn't doing so hot either.  

Fry's is in NO position to have to shut any stores down for any reason. I think flea likes to troll this board like a little kid and slander Fry's and tries to start and feed into internet rumors, that's all that are though fortunately. Didn't he get fired from Fry's for being an idiot anyways?
  6.  permalink
    Concord24BottomFeedr:
    Department Nine: Yeah, sales are down but i wouldn't agree that the company is in trouble. I do know that a few stores in D3 are performing poorly. (like duluth that was mentioned) If stores start closing down then i would say that the co. is hurting badly, but thankfully we havent gotten to that point yet. whats happening now is that stores are focusing on maintaining profit by reducing expense, labor, ect. The top stores are still busy as hell... San diego, Industry, Vegas, Renton, Phoenix... are doing just fine. ;P

Where do you harvest your information from? Sales arn't down, sales and profits are up. There are new stores slated in the near future.  

Just think about it, in the last 2 years, 2 major competitors have fallen, plus best buy isn't doing so hot either.  

Fry's is in NO position to have to shut any stores down for any reason. I think flea likes to troll this board like a little kid and slander Fry's and tries to start and feed into internet rumors, that's all that are though fortunately. Didn't he get fired from Fry's for being an idiot anyways?

I guess saying sales are down is a matter of perspective. What i meant was sales are down compared with last year. for example last qtr was q4 08-09. There were less sales in q4 08-09 than there were in q4 07-08. and qtd sales for q1 09-10 are less that what they were at the same time during q1 08-09. does that make sense? if you were to say "sales and profits are up" from yesterday, you may very well be correct.  
    and you can "harvest" this info from several sources... (hint: theyre usually hanging on the wall in the sm and audit office)  
    pretty sure st 24 is negative comp from last year, but hey, what do i know? :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009
    Our Best Buy is doing REALLY well, but it always has an always will. Even if it charged 50% more than others, people still go there.Superhero!
  7.  permalink
    AyaHu: Our Best Buy is doing REALLY well, but it always has an always will. Even if it charged 50% more than others, people still go there.

Best Buy= Starbucks. Same mentality of the people who go there. They want to be seen with a Best Buy bag and tell people they shop there.....yes some humans are that pathetic and dont mind the mark-up....just like Starbucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    maybe frys should charge more like Apple store.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    worm: maybe frys should charge more like Apple store.

Our cafe has taken that idea and ran with it.
  8.  permalink
    Sasquatch:
    worm: maybe frys should charge more like Apple store.

Our cafe has taken that idea and ran with it.

And it works! Haha.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnon21871
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009 edited
    You know, I sometimes wonder if the reason why Best Buy does better is because gets a higher quality (stupider) customers who would buy anything at significantly marked up prices. While we get the lower quality (smarter) customers that are more frugal and picky with their shopping.  

Best Buy gets the "Yes, I'll buy that overly expensive item, with your in-store service plan and whatever services you offer to help me hook it up, because I am really a dumbass with lots of money to blow!"  

Fry's gets the "No, I don't want any of your services. I understand that your store makes money from these services, but I like to be a cheapskate and spend what little money I have carefully, so no PSC sale for you! Now give me the cheap ad item that pays you nothing in commission that I originally came in for, and leave me the fuck alone!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there, WTFurry.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009
    Like K-mart has done. They put out ads to bring in cheap and ghetto people. And nothing is ever in stock. Fry's does exactly the same. So what ever happened to K-Mart?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfryguy
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009
    K-Marts still around, just not in certain markets anymore. They got bought by Sears. It's not really the best comparison since Fry's shoppers will spend the money if want it. As far as early adopters and people that will spend on tech stuff, the customers are there. You are right - they are smarter and you have to explain and sell instead of trick people. You have more opportunity to sell things because our customers tend not to be as afraid of technology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    I really have to question the quality of "tech stuff" at Fry's. True, Fry's USED TO BE the tech shoppers dream, but...I don't know of too many real geeks that purchase items like motherboards, graphics cards, RAM, etc. from Fry's anymore. None of them trust the product quality from Fry's. Last time I went to Fry's, I took a look at their motherboards and graphics cards. The mobo boxes were all opened, rifled through, etc. The graphics cards boxes had been bound so tightly with their binding wrap, they were crushed.  

Contrast that to a MicroCenter where everything is neat. As to price comparison, on items like laptops, decent computers (Fys's brand doesn't qualify as decent), the prices are about the same.  

As to Fry's future, Fry's biggest enemy is....Fry's. If they continue to find ways to cut employees pay by putting them on commission, they'll run off their more qualified employees, who are both knowledgable about their product and can sell. Add into that Fry's reputation of selling a lot of junk, and how they handle their merchandise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sears is no better. Two losers join as one.  

Fry's is a businessman's dream. I can rent products all day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    hell yeah and then return them with missing parts and resell the parts :face-angel::face-angel::face-angel:Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Swap out ram ships lol. Just peel the sticker with a blow dryer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    nope buy high end ddr3 cards and replace all your sdram cards by swapping out the heat spreaders.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    ObiWan:As to Fry's future, Fry's biggest enemy is....Fry's. If they continue to find ways to cut employees pay by putting them on commission, they'll run off their more qualified employees, who are both knowledgable about their product and can sell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfryguy
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009
    we'll see how it works out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009
    Sasquatch:
    ObiWan:As to Fry's future, Fry's biggest enemy is....Fry's. If they continue to find ways to cut employees pay by putting them on commission, they'll run off their more qualified employees, who are both knowledgable about their product and can sell.

The best thing for Fry's is to offer the lowest prices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    asdf: The best thing for Fry's is to offer the lowest prices.

'cept...with rare exceptions, they don't. On average, Fry's charges the same price for the same computers, software, appliances (i.e. brand name items) that Best Buy and other retailers charge. With the exception of some of the "toys", electronic parts, and crapware, Fry's prices are the same as their competators.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited
    I'd have to disagree. I see both ads on a consistent basis, and we are frequently lower, be it one dollar or fifty.
  9.  permalink
    I almost wish frys WAS hurting. hehee
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Sasquatch: I'd have to disagree. I see both ads on a consistent basis, and we are frequently lower, be it one dollar or fifty.

Considering that both will price-match each other, what would be the advantage of shopping at Fry's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    ObiWan:
    Sasquatch: I'd have to disagree. I see both ads on a consistent basis, and we are frequently lower, be it one dollar or fifty.

Considering that both will price-match each other, what would be the advantage of shopping at Fry's?

The price match is a lie. They look the same but have different model numbers designed for different stores. Like the HP a5000f vs the HP a5000w (frys vs walmart)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsialer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    Hey suzukiman What is the best most high end video card that you can recommend. I'm talking 10 on the sexy meter. Thanks.... Hi everyone.Ignorance is bliss... but only to those who don't know better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009
    GTX 295 or Radeon 5870.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009
    10 like plays crysis on full graphics?Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsialer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    I'm trying to get a really all purpose sexy graphics card to play everything.Ignorance is bliss... but only to those who don't know better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    sialer: all purpose sexy graphics card to play everything.

Is that all? Which OS? Is this just for games or any 3D work?  

As to top of the line, either theATi Radeon HD 3800 or nVida based GeForce GTX 295 are the top of the line gaming cards. Beyond that, you're looking at one their top end graphic workstation cards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009 edited
    ObiWan:
    sialer: all purpose sexy graphics card to play everything.

As to top of the line, either theATi Radeon HD 3800

Couple generations back dude.
  10.  permalink
    I was so mad when I had to get a new video card to play the Sims 3. The video card we had was working good but wasn't enough to play the game. And the Sims 3 isn't even that much differnt from Sims 2. That was another thing that pissed me off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009
    You want your games to have full graphics on and the highest possible frame rate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009
    gossipgirl025: I was so mad when I had to get a new video card to play the Sims 3. The video card we had was working good but wasn't enough to play the game. And the Sims 3 isn't even that much differnt from Sims 2. That was another thing that pissed me off.

Me too but I got a new spectacular one and then had to also buy a new powersupply to supply it. Now my computer is like an insane powerhouse of graphics supremacy.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009
    I would have to say http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143202 in a quad setup with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151204 that mobo and 4 six core opterons and 128gb of ddr2 800 with 4 64gb intel solid state hard drives all mirrored to each other running the latest damn small linux (very very fast version of linux) with an open source vmware running a 10gb ram drive with windows installed. This system is a steal at just shy of $20,000 not including the 2 1000 watt server power supplies wind tunnel type server case 4 pci-e 16x ribbon cable connectors monitor keyboard and mouse but if your buying this system to play video games you really dont care how much the mouse pad is. The next step up is workstation gfx cards with lots of gigs of ddr3 and a custom mobo that runs 6-8 6 core amd opterons with 512gb - 1tb of ddr3.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  11.  permalink
    badass
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    yep you will not need a new computer for quite some time if you built that one. In fact it may actually stay top of the line for more than 5 years.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    Suzukiman: yep you will not need a new computer for quite some time if you built that one. In fact it may actually stay top of the line for more than 5 years.

Stop teasing the poor lad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    but it's almost as funny as excruciatingly slowly eating a $35 perfectly aged 20oz top sirloin smothered in a morel mushroom sauce in front of an obviously hungry homeless person.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3835
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    Best Buy prices suck. The exact same item is always cheaper at Fry's. The Worst Buys are at Best Buy and the sales people that work there only have basic knowledge about computer components, that's why they don't sell CPU's, motherboards, SCSI drives, SCSI adapters, Fiber adapters ....... Fry's attracts a wide range of customers, they have customers with the ability to build their own computers and also the ones that don't know how to power on a computer. The only thing keeping Best Buy open is the closing of Comp USA and Circuit City.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    I dont shop all the stuff I need is free.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Guest: Best Buy prices suck. The exact same item is always cheaper at Fry's. The Worst Buys are at Best Buy and the sales people that work there only have basic knowledge about computer components, that's why they don't sell CPU's, motherboards, SCSI drives, SCSI adapters, Fiber adapters ....... Fry's attracts a wide range of customers, they have customers with the ability to build their own computers and also the ones that don't know how to power on a computer. The only thing keeping Best Buy open is the closing of Comp USA and Circuit City.

Best Buy is the Target of Electronics. Frys is like walmart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    No, that's Directron.