Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    Anybody else notice all the shit that management is being stupid about lately.  

1. writing up associates for being on the clock for over 5 hours without taking a lunch  
    2. not realizing that people have smartened up about fry's cards  
    3. over-staffing on low traffic days (due to over allotment of hours)  
    4. ca's getting suspended because they went to the gym with other associates. (meanwhile the store manager and LP manager are fucking cashiers)  

- elaboration on #1 -  

In a lot of ways I love my job. I make good money, I get to talk to (for the most part) pretty cool customers about shit. And as long as I a lucky sale or two a week, I'm good on my requirements. But lately I've been getting scheduled to have my lunch end 4.5 hours before I go home on closing days. One day I clocked out at 5:25 and I clocked back in at 6:25. That means that I have until 11:25 until I hit 5 hours. Keep in mind we should be out of the store by 11:00 anyways. Well, some motherfucker in home office decided to raise the price of an item from $5 to $15 (we had almost 1000 pieces). So of course we were there hella late. The closing pic broadcast a message at 11:29 for everyone about to hit 5 hours to clock out and go home. So of course I ran but it was already too late. The next week on monday, the store manager wrote me up personally saying if I hadn't taken my lunch "early" I wouldn't have gone over 5 hours. WTF?  

First of all what's the big deal?  

My guess is their asses finally got sued for all the shit they pull, and now they're turning it around on associates and blaming us for going over 5 hours. Fucking bullshit.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    The Taw, RDL L.L.C. and other Fry's Entities
    Oakley Sues Fyrs, Best Buy and Others...
    Bullshit
    store 12 bullshit
    Service said one thing about building computers and components said another thing
  2.  permalink
    Make it your obligation to clock out on your own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009
    Guest: Make it your obligation to clock out on your own.

Then he could sue them for false imprisonment because he clocked out and has to wait for them to open the door.. It's a no-win situation.. and there used to be times where they schedule an early lunch on a closing shift and if you stay later it becomes 5 hours.. you just cant say.. i need to go, i'm about to hit 5 hours.. because then they'll yell at you for leaving early..Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Those bastardsSuperhero!
  3.  permalink
    I can understand the 5 hour thing. Trying to stay within labor laws, and be very reasonable about it too. Though it is a bit silly that they are throwing those curve balls at you. Usually here, they schedule us 4 hour shifts at the most JUST in case a customer decides to take his sweet time. Ask for a schedule with 4 hour shifts instead of 4.5. You have a better chance of not going over.  

And yes. If you tell them that you are about to hit 5 hours, they usually let you run to go clock out. They do that for me.  

The other thing. The closing manager needs to get your rears out of there by 11PM for those who are about to hit 5 hours. Even then, if you take a lunch at 6-7PM, it is very difficult to even hit the 5 hour mark unless all hell breaks lose on Thursday night.  

With the Fry's cards, people still apply for them so they can get what they want, despite how the economy is. I get a lot of customers who ask to sign up for one.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    With the Fry's cards, people still apply for them so they can get what they want, despite how the economy is. I get a lot of customers who ask to sign up for one.

I still get them but it's not like customers are throwing them at me anymore. I usually get 2 per week. But some weeks I get 3, 4, or 5 but I have never had a week where I had zero and yet they (management) still act like assholes about it.
  4.  permalink
    A hourly paid associate must take at least a 30min break for every five hours worked. thats the law. Its for your protection against being overworked by your employer. and you're bitching about it. ironic...  

as far as the CA issue and who the sm or lpm are involved with in your store... its none of your business. Ive found the best solution to all the drama is to focus on your job and putting more money in your pocket. make sales, get paid, and have a nice day! worrying about other associates disciplinary action or sex lives makes things WAY too complicated. TK..
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Department Nine: A hourly paid associate must take at least a 30min break for every five hours worked. thats the law. Its for your protection against being overworked by your employer. and you're bitching about it. ironic...  

as far as the CA issue and who the sm or lpm are involved with in your store... its none of your business. Ive found the best solution to all the drama is to focus on your job and putting more money in your pocket. make sales, get paid, and have a nice day! worrying about other associates disciplinary action or sex lives makes things WAY too complicated. TK..

It's the law... in California?  
    It's not the law here in Arizona. There are no break laws here.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    That Guy in Duluth: I can understand the 5 hour thing. Trying to stay within labor laws, and be very reasonable about it too. Though it is a bit silly that they are throwing those curve balls at you. Usually here, they schedule us 4 hour shifts at the most JUST in case a customer decides to take his sweet time. Ask for a schedule with 4 hour shifts instead of 4.5. You have a better chance of not going over.  

And yes. If you tell them that you are about to hit 5 hours, they usually let you run to go clock out. They do that for me.  

The other thing. The closing manager needs to get your rears out of there by 11PM for those who are about to hit 5 hours. Even then, if you take a lunch at 6-7PM, it is very difficult to even hit the 5 hour mark unless all hell breaks lose on Thursday night.  

With the Fry's cards, people still apply for them so they can get what they want, despite how the economy is. I get a lot of customers who ask to sign up for one.

It's good if you have a lunch between 6 and 7, but I used to be scheduled 230 to 11 with a lunch between 5 and 6. Leaving at 11pm would make that 5 hours. It was always fun during the holidays when they had me coming in at 3:30 to have an extra hour later.. they kept my lunch at 5pm.. So basically I'd come in.. work for 90 minutes then take a 60 minute lunch and then work from 6 to 12..Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  5.  permalink
    AyaHu:
    Department Nine: A hourly paid associate must take at least a 30min break for every five hours worked. thats the law. Its for your protection against being overworked by your employer. and you're bitching about it. ironic...  

It's the law... in California?  
    It's not the law here in Arizona. There are no break laws here.

Yes. its california state labor law which Fry's applies to all its stores as the co. policy regarding work/rest/meal periods.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    I hear Audit managers get bonuses if few or no associates go over five hours. Can anyone confirm?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009

Obviously you can't read because my complaint is that they are ass covering by threatening suspensions or worse if you happen to go over 5 hours when it's not your fault.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    raze:

Obviously you can't read because my complaint is that they are ass covering by threatening suspensions or worse if you happen to go over 5 hours when it's not your fault.

That's right...I got suspended for that when they never even informed me before the suspension notice that I had gone over. They made the second half of my shift exactly five hours long. But when they held us all over for the line, there wasn't much I could do about it and then I'd go over for like five minutes and then they'd tell me that it was all my fault.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Shit rolls downhill.
  6.  permalink
    The Rza:

its not your fault? grow up. take some responsibility. punch out before your 5th hour.
  7.  permalink
    By not "writing-up" or firing (5-day) associates, it's like an example of allowing over 5 hrs of work w/o a 30 minute break. They have to do it to cover their ass, all companies do this; get use to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    Department Nine:
    The Rza:

its not your fault? grow up. take some responsibility. punch out before your 5th hour.

Well, honestly, sometimes its NOT the associate's fault - for real. What if you can't clock out before hour five because you're still counting the cash? What are you supposed to do? Lock the till away, clock out and then finish up and handle their cash off company hours? Yeah, I'm sure that'll work out really well.
  8.  permalink
    At our store, it is the cashier's responsibility to pull out within 20 minutes before their lunch, punch-out, overtime, or five hour mark. With 20 minutes, the cashiers can easily count their till, organize the receipts, fill out their F8, and get certification- it hasn't been a problem so far. Under no circumstances should a cashier pass their five hour mark, they must leave even if they aren't done with counting. A supervisor may print out a manual F8 and count the till for the cashier granted if the cashier is no longer able to, or the cashier can clock out for 30 minutes and clock back in to finish their till- working off the clock is against company policy.

Regarding the supervisor's case for counting the safe: Supervisors should already have developed excellent time management, and should be able to count the safe before hitting their marks. Sometimes if it is very busy or the hours are set up a little funky between supervisors, the DSC can balance the safe early and place an "acting-DSC" (the supervisor in charge.) The acting-DSC is in charge just like a regular DSC, but they can not give out change till the next supervisor takes over. Acting-DSC is used only in the cases of going to break or lunch, never to go home for the day.

Yeah, you may get in trouble if you're not getting the job done, but it is your responsibility to make it happen and time manage. There are many nifty tricks that cashiers & supervisors can use to avoid their five hour mark. It isn't just company policy, it's the law. You can even be with a customer near your five hour and take them to another associate to help them. The customer still receives help, you clock out before five hours, and the job is done- team work.
  9.  permalink
    Guest: At our store, it is the cashier's responsibility to pull out within 20 minutes before their lunch, punch-out, overtime, or five hour mark. With 20 minutes, the cashiers can easily count their till, organize the receipts, fill out their F8, and get certification- it hasn't been a problem so far. Under no circumstances should a cashier pass their five hour mark, they must leave even if they aren't done with counting. A supervisor may print out a manual F8 and count the till for the cashier granted if the cashier is no longer able to, or the cashier can clock out for 30 minutes and clock back in to finish their till- working off the clock is against company policy.  

Regarding the supervisor's case for counting the safe: Supervisors should already have developed excellent time management, and should be able to count the safe before hitting their marks. Sometimes if it is very busy or the hours are set up a little funky between supervisors, the DSC can balance the safe early and place an "acting-DSC" (the supervisor in charge.) The acting-DSC is in charge just like a regular DSC, but they can not give out change till the next supervisor takes over. Acting-DSC is used only in the cases of going to break or lunch, never to go home for the day.  

Yeah, you may get in trouble if you're not getting the job done, but it is your responsibility to make it happen and time manage. There are many nifty tricks that cashiers & supervisors can use to avoid their five hour mark. It isn't just company policy, it's the law. You can even be with a customer near your five hour and take them to another associate to help them. The customer still receives help, you clock out before five hours, and the job is done- team work.

Are you a new hire?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLurch
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    It's not all that easy for every job in the store, plus the law is 6 hours in Texas so getting written up or even fired for a rule that doesn't even apply to the state you live in doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies. I just wish I could sign a waiver or something, some of us like to work for a living!!
  10.  permalink
    Lurch: It's not all that easy for every job in the store, plus the law is 6 hours in Texas so getting written up or even fired for a rule that doesn't even apply to the state you live in doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies. I just wish I could sign a waiver or something, some of us like to work for a living!!

Same with Georgia. However, being the HQ in California, I can understand it. A lot easier to make a regulation company wide rather than statewide.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    How hard is it to enforce in separate states?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    well the las vegas store  

they recently enforced the rule w/ 5hr shifts  

kinda bullshit in the beginning because everyone was being write up...  
    everyone is helping customers..and at the las vegas store its hella busy!  

but now we cant keep anyone past 5 hrsLas Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Usually a large company will take the strictest state rules (Such as California) and enforce the rules throughout to save them hassle, time, confusion, etc. If "All people get 5 hours blocks, period" it's easier for everyone.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Call me crazy, but it doesn't seem that hard to enact. A simple memo to all store managers should suffice, but if they are wary, they can just code a limiter in the scheduling software. While a blanket five hour limit is easier, it shouldn't be something that results in termination. That's just mean.
  11.  permalink
    Lol my store is soooooo bored and to busy trying to get people fired that they stapled all our write-ups together (for that quarter), slapped a new cover page on it and made us sign it again. My motto is "Another day, another write-up" I worked inventory from 12 to 12, they just gave everyone 2 one hour lunches so no one would hit their 5. Fry's be crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    Its policy man. They have to write you up after 5 hours on the clock.
  12.  permalink
    Read the law guys. It is the obligation of the company to give you 1/2 hour every 5 hours worked. It is NOT you obligation to take that break. The problem comes when a company MAKES you work over 5 hours or face consequences. That would be grounds for class action, which is exactly what happened to Fry's. These are both precedentsfrom court cases. To discipline an associate for going over 5 hours is a gross missinterpretation of both the laws and court precedents. Note to Fry's home office; go ahead and fire me for working over 5 hours, I fucking dare you. I will just need to figure out how many years of income to sue for. Have a nice day, and if you were disciplined for the 5 hour rule, call a lawyer. Slam dunk case, it will only take one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    Depends on the state, hunny.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    Man I wish i worked part time at frys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    You would be perfect in our new Lego themed store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    They need to open a Fry's store in Carlsbad. the city of legoland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    They need to have a Lego Star Wars section.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    Rather, they need a Lego section, and they need a Star Wars section.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    Everything can benefit from either a Lego or a Star Wars section, but Lego Star Wars is one of the best combos of all time.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009
    Too many specialized parts these days. When I was a kid you could build anything with any set.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    With my legos I would make really really really long limos. Some where oversized limos probably talking 5 lanes on a lego freeway because I used the green land lego plate. Imagine a lego limo with a hotel/resort at the back of the limo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    We made lego castles at the science center Friday night.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009
Add your comments