Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2007
    Sorry to ask so many questions I feel left behind. Anyways, what specifications should I look for in a new computer?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Computer Service Dept. taking forever. What should I do?
    somone in the computer dept. is stealing and I don't know if I should tell
    What is the best budget computer for $1000 or less?
    cashier looking to go computer sales
    What makes more selling TVs, computers or appliances?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2007
    Sometimes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2007
    How much are you planning on spending?
  2.  permalink
    At least 1 GB of DDR2 RAM, Core 2 duo Processor, 256 MB NVidia Graphics and a 240 GB HDD well that will cost you about $650 - 700 if it is custom built meaning, That you buy the parts or get someone to do that for you then get a Computer builder guy to put it together not too hard when you really think about it and get Windows XP
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoward
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2007
    nice. Id get about 2GB of ram, shared graphics, any speed processor, any size hard disk, and probably put linux or xp on it. Most systems with 2gb of ram will usually come with lots of disk and fast processor.Howard Dean for America '08
  3.  permalink
    2 GB RAM is Recommended for Vista ; 1 GB of RAM is Recommended for XP  

Easy Choice!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkorac
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2007
    First two questions should be "What are you planning on doing with it?" and "How much are you planning on spending?" in any order...then from there figure out what specs to aim for, and whether or not you need linux over xp over vista etc. Spazz is right, 2GB on Vista, 1GB on XP would be bare minimums in my book, but if you wanna do gaming or large file manipulation then aim for double that. Also, if doing gaming, a dedicated video card would be required, and unless youre just trying to blow money out yer @ss the best bang for the buck would be a BFG 8800 (until ATI's 2900 series is out) card, in the 320mb flavor. If not gaming but needing a good file manipulator (lots of windows open, large files ... adobe stuff etc) a good video card would be good for that too, but not strictly neccessary, could run with a onboard / shared graphics alright. Proc speed would be a nice Core2Duo, or Core2Quad chip, most flavors of the Core2Duos do fine for practically anything, and the Quads are nice for high end rigs...but a lil more spendy. I could go on further if needed, but lets see what some other folks think ;)  

PS. If youre just going to surf the internet or do emails, then go buy a $199 or $299 GQ ...with a PSC =P
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    I am planing to do photo editing and video editing. Mainly I use my computer for internet. I want to spend under 700 for the computer and under 300 for the monitor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Doable, I'll repost later on this.