Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthordajinn
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009
    hey guys i applied to a frys store recently and got a call for an interview the next day. well i went in, had the interview and met pretty much 98% of the questions straight forward, and left and told that i would be notified of employment or lack thereof the following tuesday at around the same time i was originally contacted. well, before I went in, i was waiting in the chairs and this guy from some obviously foreign country(middle eastern/african descent)sat down in front of me and started making small talk. in his lap he had his portfolio i suppose of all his "accomplishments" and he felt the need to show me his 3 year bachelors in a major in computer science, but i could barely understand him; he spoke very mumbled english, maybe i could pick out 1 of the 8-10 words he would speak per sentence. im hoping that could give me the advantage since i was fairly vibrant in my responses and seemed to be more "practical", if you will, with how i answered the questions, not straight from the text book responses that you can look up in a computer science text book.  

anyway, i feel kind of bad that this happened to me because i will be missing out on valuable IT experience since I want to go into the IT field. apparently the computer tech department at the store i applied is overbudget but is looking to fit one more worker in, and i am going to presume with a BA he is looking for fulltime. i figure that since I want part-time that they would be more willing to hire me because i would not such as much as a blow on their budget, and that also they dont feel obligated to pay me more since i'm still in college and attempting to earn IT experience.  

any opinions would be appreciated, not just "fries sucks" ect ect
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Good luck...Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  1.  permalink
    Your Screwed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    I think you will get the job. The minimum wage for someone with a computer science degree is $75k a year ($36/hr). This guy is a moron if hes asking for less. There is no reason why this guy with a degree would seek this job. It only pays $16/hr.  

For all those people who work at Fry's with degrees in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Engineering. You guys are stupid. The job market is looking for you guys and you can make way more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgogetenkz
    If you're right and he is foreign, then he probably doesn't know what he's getting into at Fry's. He probably just sees the job with computers, sees that he has a degree with the words computer on it, and thinks that Fry's would be a good fit for him. who knows? why go to school and pay thousands of dollars, when you're just going to work at jobs like Frys??
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Double dittos on what asdf said. I could never understand someone that either had a degree, or sound tech background going to work for Fried.
  2.  permalink
    I used to be a manager for the Service department and would see guys like this come in all the time. They would show me their EE degree, CS degree, MCSE and Cisco training, and I wouldn't even take a second look at them because they're not relevant to the job their applying to. This is not a corporate workstation/server environment, this is a retail repair shop. If someone came in with all those certs, or someone came in who's repaired a laptop fan, I'd hire the laptop guy because he's worth his weight in gold. He actually has skills we can use! I wouldn't worry about it though. The department manager isn't clueless, and he sees guys like this at least twice a week coming in and handing out resumes like that.  

I've always told my techs that the work is 80% customer interaction, 20% computer repair. If you think you're coming in to sit around and work on computers all day, you're mistaken. You'll mostly be talking to customers, calming them down, trying to explain why they got themselves infected, how come cracked screens aren't covered under warranty, and then squeezing in a few repairs a day. I can teach you what you need to know to do 90% of the repairs we commonly do, but I can't teach you how not to be an idiot.http://www.frysblackfriday.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Also what ASDF said.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009
    Considering Fry's reputation on "computer repair", I wouldn't trust them to give me a right answer on how to plug a USB cable in (and yes...I do know how to do that).
    •  
      CommentAuthordajinn
    i just hope if i get hired that they train me properly just in terms of how they do paperwork, assigning computers, all that stuff and rules/regulations so i can get into a routine quickly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    ObiWan: Considering Fry's reputation on "computer repair", I wouldn't trust them to give me a right answer on how to plug a USB cable in (and yes...I do know how to do that).

the square looking plug goes into the rectangular looking plug, right?Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    im in las vegas on vacation and was shopping for a mobile broadband router. i asked for a 4g/3g router. the guy looked confused. im in the routers section and hes asking me for help and he cant even do that. he got 2 other associates to help but recommened a 54g router. wtf? then some decent black dude helped me and actually knew what he was talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    on a side note there was this rhino 120w power inverter i purchased. i needed it so i can war drive on the clearwire 4g network. anyways ive asked if this product was any good or is it like all those crappy airlink stuff they sell. the guy laughed and said it was a really good product. gee great its like the other brand they sell 'great quality'. it did not work and my laptop uses a 65w power adapter. stop lying to customers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    ok so i go in to Frys Las Vegas today to return the 120w adapter and switch it for the 200w rhino brand power inverter with peek power of 400w. I plug it into my car and use my computer and browse the internet on wimax for about 2 hours. After a while my screen just dims like as if you unplug your power source. The inverter is dead. Well actually the the cigarette lighter plug just melts and the unit stops working. wtf.  

Here is the power rating on the back of the unit  

Here is the power rating label on the cord... 80 watts max?  

One more thing. My laptop runs on a 65w adapter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    Arise,  
    Ye who refuse to be slaves!  
    With our very flesh and blood,  
    Let us build our new Great Wall!  
    The peoples of China are in the most critical time,  
    Everybody must roar his defiance.  
    Arise!  
    Arise!  
    Arise!  
    Millions of hearts with one mind,  
    Brave the enemy's gunfire, March on!  
    Brave the enemy's gunfire, March on!  
    March on!  
    March on!  
    on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    well see obi you could ask me questions for example they will be answered without any punctuation but they will be correct atleast  

you could get the job from the guy with the degree if the manager knows what to look forLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  3.  permalink
    I hate to bump old threads, but I used to work at EVGA with people with Bachelors degrees making $10/hr. The degree isn't worth jack shit anymore. With a bachelors you CAN be making $75k a year, good luck on finding one of the few jobs that has it otherwise you will be making the same as some guy at In-N-Out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    RandomFryGuy: I hate to bump old threads, but I used to work at EVGA with people with Bachelors degrees making $10/hr. The degree isn't worth jack sh*t anymore. .

I disagree with you on this. A degreed person has a higher probability of finding a position they can use their degreed skills in. It may be true that there aren't as many available positions in certain parts of the country (i.e. California), that doesn't mean they don't exist elsewhere in the country. The problem that most people have is that it takes effort, and sometimes a little time and patience, to find these positions. Most people aren't willing to put in that kind of time and effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 9352
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    Not always Obi. I was on the job market for over a year with a Bachelors and decent experience. I ended up having to take a job at Fry's. I had like 4-5 interviews total. It is pretty bad out there right now. I ended up taking this job at Fry's. Not saying I love it but at least I can pay my rent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    In the industry I'm in software development, no experience means no job. even with a doctorate!