Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwhitenoise
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2007
    Fact: Avoid anything with a Fry's white tag  
    Fry's puts their own little white sticker on boxes that have been opened and returned back to the store. This stickers are often dated and initialed, "I'm okay. I was checked by a genuine Fry's employee."  

Don't buy white stickered boxes! Those are things that are probably broken or missing things like cables, etc. The Fry's people don't check the returns. You will probably get screwed. The worst part is that you have to go back to Fry's and undergo the misery that is their returns process.  

Actually, you're probably better off avoiding the stuff that isn't shrink wrapped, too. My guess is that Fry's employees would probably run out of white stickers at some moment and just put unmarked boxes back on the shelves. Remember, it's less work not having to put a sticker on a box and find a pen!
    •  
      CommentAuthordubloe7
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2007
    a few notes.  
    just open it before you leave the store, if its missing something you can get it then.  
    if an item broken its not put back on the floor, its shipped back to the vendor (this isn't the case if the customer that returned it said it was working and it wasn't. its another case where you're screwed by dishonest customers)  
    also, 'your guess' is wrong, those stickers are among the few things that are actually kept in stock, along with those metal shelf bracket things. and even if there are no more left there are manual stickers. you know those security guys that have to come up and password every return, they aren't supposed to password unless theres a sticker on the product. lol, find a pen, just a guess but when you have to have a customer sign a form every time you return something you return something you would probably learn to carry a pen with you.  
    also, most of the products that aren't shrinkwrapped have been unwrapped by customers looking at it when everything they need to know is on the box (maybe they can't read... or see pictures).  
    also, if the security guys passworded when there was no sticker it wouldn't just be them not doing their job. they are paid based on 'catches', not having a sticker is one of these catches. it wouldn't just be laziness, it would be like giving up part of your paycheck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2007
    Also, somethings are returned some times for really retarded reason.  

Buying open boxed PC's usually can get you a $30-50 savings (or more), and most have been returned for dumb reasons.  

One PC I sold to a customer one time had been previously returned because the person who first purchased it "didn't like the color of the light" on the front of the box.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2007
    I return laptops mainly because of their noisy fans or heating issues. Try before you buy is my advice. You guys should sell that to your customers.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2007
    Most sales associates do. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.  

Also, most laptops are beyond heating issues. The addition of dual core processors in 90% of the laptops on the market now eliminate all cooling/heating issues with lower voltage (and thus heat) processors with equal or greater throughput.
  1.  permalink
    the whole try before you buy is a good idea... but not if you buy then try, then try to return. our store charges a 15% restocking fee now on notebooks. We would get the customers from like conventions *we are located next to an airport and hotels* that would use it for the 3-5 days there here and then return it. so now to detur customers from doing so we now charge you. also it weeds out those customers that like to buy on a whim and return.  

*store 9*
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2007
    OH my freakin GOSH seriously whats up with stupid ass customers! I just sold the new Sony FZ and the customer returns it the next day... So annoying I wish we had restocking fees here. I have a idea charge a restocking fee and let the associate keep his commision!Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSevenup
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2007
    Yeah I know.. I find it stupid that they charge the 15% restocking fee, but the associate doesn't get to keep his commission. It be better if he got to keep a few dollars or something.
  2.  permalink
    before the sales associate used to keep the commission even if the customer returned the item. we just started enforcing the restocking fee becusae we used to get returns from the other stores that had restocking fees. and now we have like 85% returned inventory of sony laptops. which we as assosiates find it really hard to sell. so we started to have the stocking fee to stop the returns and weed out those who just buy it just to try out for a couple days.. or those using it for a convention. you try selling a $3000 dollar sony that has been returned. no one wants it.  

*store 9*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganC
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2007
    Are there a testing facility for these products that are returned? I used to work at Walmart, and what we do with return items is returning them to the Vendor. I, myself would never buy a returned item. You don't know what weird people might have done to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2007
    Most items are tested. Laptops/PC's, TV's, all memory/processors/hard drives/optical drives, iPods, digital cameras, etc. The few things that aren't tested are simple items like cables. If the customer notes that it doesn't work, then it gets RTV'd instantly, otherwise if they say they just didn't need it, or didn't want it, but it functions correctly, then the returns associate will check it out to make sure its complete, then send it back to the floor at a reduced price.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2007 edited
    Most items are tested like you said rab but most returned items are missing items. I remember returning a motherboard with just the box and without the accessories and the "PIC" took it back on the terms i take a gift cert. Most of the time when I return an item it is never checked out. The best time to return stuff is when the return lines are long.:face-devil-grin:i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2007
    I agree with worm the products that are returned usually do have something missing, I to have bought open box items to find they are incomplete. Fry's should just return the items back to the vendor instead of making them look bad by having alot of returns.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2007
    Returning items to the vendor is why places like Best Buy have insane prices on some things.  

It loses money for the store, the vendor, and in the end, the consumer pays more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2007
    Wow...I'd hate to have Frys lose money for selling me something. Those little open box stickers? I try to avoid them, but now they are placing them INSIDE the box! Bought a Maxtor 500GB drive, with NO sticker on the outside, shrinkwrapped and banded, got home to find THE sticker on the inside flap of the box, and you guessed it.......no sata cable or disc. I didn't even try the drive out. Took it back and demanded my money back, I don't buy used hard drives. Went next door to Sams and bought the same drive for $10 more.....but it WAS new. Frys has ALWAYS had a bad rep for putting returns back on the shelf (supposedly tested). When faulty crap is put back on the shelf, it is not the "Customers" screwing one another........it is Frys. They are a RETAIL chain, not a new and used shop. Factory returns are a part of everyday life for all retail stores. It's a matter of if you want the inconvenience of processing them, or palm the inconvenience onto the customer. The customer has NEVER been first at Frys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2007
    If a store keeps losing money selling you something, then there won't be a store around for you to shop at.  

Handling returns the way Fry's does is done like I said to keep prices as low as possible for the consumer. Open RMA procedures like places such as Best Buy employ could be put into place, but they would come with a higher overall price tag on every item, and probably a reduced selection. This is not what Fry's, or the Fry's customer wants.  

Lets take a simple component like a video card. 95% of the returned video cards are because someone bought the wrong card. It didn't have a feature they wanted, or they purchased an AGP card when they had a PCI-E slot, or it didn't give them enough performance, etc, etc. There is nothing at all wrong with these cards, so they are tested, then returned to the shelf. The next customer saves a little cash, the first customer gets to use Fry's good return policy, and Fry's gets to keep the prices low for the customer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2007 edited
    I hate to sound argumentative with you, but here goes.... Have you read comments here, or other Frys related pages? To say putting items directly back onto shelves in order to keep prices low,is what customers WANT, is absolutely FALSE. The number one gripe of Frys shoppers is those damn opened boxes that often are missing items, or just plain don't work.  
    I once bought a video card from Frys that had a 3 month old "gamers magazine" rolled up in the box, and was missing the games that supposedly came with the card. Plugging a card into the Frys test motherboard is NOT testing the card. It merely sees if the card is detected, not if it crashes when in a Windows environment, if a color filter is bad, or if it overheats 10 minutes into use (all common defects found in video cards). Get my point?  

I have in the past worked for a warehouse for one of the top retailers in the country (Kmart). Did you know that a large amount of your ( and many other retailers)inventory is actually on "consignment" and not paid for by Frys until sold? Payments to the manufacturer are made quarterly, and non-selling stock returned. Could you imagine a retailer having to be financially responsible for EVERY item that did not sell? (Kmart was busted for reporting profits on stock not yet sold, it did not actually "own")  
    Returns to manufacturers are every day business, and most stores are reimbursed for a portion of processing. Walmart would never think of putting an opened box back on the shelf at a discount. It goes straight to their processing center. Seeing how Walmart is the number one retailer in the world, and still manages to make a profit while selling at cheap prices AND returning opened items to the manufacturer, I can't buy into the "we have to do this to keep prices cheap" theory.  
    Frys is the exception, and not the rule when it comes to shelf return policies. This IS NOT how many, many other retailers keep their prices low.  

I KNOW the difficulties running this type of store. There IS risk selling upgrade parts to those who haven't a clue about how to perform an upgrade. But to let employees (often unexperienced themselves) to be judge and jury about what items are put back on the shelves is WRONG. Return the item, let the manufacturer determine if said product is fine or not, and to re-offer it as a "refurb" if not.  

I would GLADLY pay an extra $10 for a video card at Frys if I could be assured it WAS new, and that a person not knowing the difference had NOT tried to force an AGP card into a PCIE slot. That it had NOT been used in an overclocking experiment by the original purchaser, ect...... Fact is.....you always take a risk from buying from Frys. I'm not saying EVERYTHING I buy there is returned crap.....if that was true, I would not shop there period. But, on the rare occasion, I have been burned. Their new policy (at least here at the Arlington,TX store) of putting opened merchandise tags INSIDE the box, is just plain deceitful. And we wonder why poor ol Frys has gotten a bad rep?  

To say people WANT shelf return items is just silly, and has to be from a store only point of view. I've yet to meet one person that was thrilled with buying another persons return. The $5-$6 savings on an opened box is hardly worth the trouble if said item is bad, or missing key accessories (which seems to be the case more often than not).
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2007
    Well, we can just agree to disagree on this topic.  

First off, this is the way that Fry's keeps the prices low for the consumer. And there are a fair amount of people the even ask for opened box items just to save money on the item they are purchasing.  

Sure, you can always demand unopened merchandise. That is your prerogative and if you failed to be satisfied, then you are free to leave the store.  

Fry's always stands behind its Satisfaction Guarantee that you'll be 100% satisfied, or Fry's will offer you a 100% return on your purchase, and I've never seen anyone turned away on that guarantee. So if you're of the mindset that you'd like to save a few dollars on your purchase, then you're free to do so, or you're also free to purchase non-opened merchandise at its regular cost. Either way, you're covered by Fry's Satisfaction Guarantee, so whats the end result? You'll either have the product you expected, or you'll get your money back.  

Also, I strongly doubt that the Arlington, TX store places the sticker discounts on the inside of the box. If this is happening, it is outside of Fry's policy, and there would also be no way for the customer service associates to know what items deserve the appropriate discount for being previously returned.  

I have also returned items to the Fry's in Arlington, TX, and the sticker discount went on the outside of the box in plain sight. My last return to this store was less than 2 months ago, so unless they have just recently been operating out if Fry's policy, I can assure you that this is not happening like you believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2007
    Policy or not, I can assure this HAS happened. Am I saying they place ALL the stickers on the inside? No. But I HAVE bought a 500GB Maxtor drive THAT DID.  
    Said drive was missing the sata cable and instal disc. Said drive was also returned promptly. The sticker had no "discount" on it....just merely stated that it was an opened box, and carried the same warranty.......yada,yada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2007
    Many times, returned units always miss something, manuals, cables, accessories. I think the returns people as well as the technicians who review return components should do a better job at putting items back on the shelf.the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoward
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2007
    I dont think the returns staff is very knowledgeable about the products being returned. Many times I've returned products with parts missing. They never notice.Howard Dean for America '08
    •  
      CommentAuthorpinesal
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2007
    When a sticker is placed inside the box it's because the item is determined by the returns person that the item was never opened by the customer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMlbz420
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2007 edited
    flea:OH my freakin GOSH seriously whats up with stupid ass customers! I just sold the new Sony FZ and the customer returns it the next day... So annoying I wish we had restocking fees here. I have a idea charge a restocking fee and let the associate keep his commision!

some people are really dumb about buying things and returning them.  

but to return something the next day indicates it wasnt what the buyer expected. its your job as the salesperson to inform the buyer what they are getting. frys shouldnt make a profit off of a return buy charging a restocking fee. there is some expense in putting the item back on the shelf. there is also ussually a discount given to the next buyer. prob should be payed for buy the restocking fee before they also pay off the commision or then they are taking a loss.  

the associate doesnt keep his/her commision because they failed to properly complete the sale. getting the customer out the door isnt all you have to do when you work for a company with such an open return policy.  

as i have said many times already here and other places, educate and inform your customers. make then feel confident in there purchase. especially on large high dollar items. if the customer gets home and feels what he has isnt what you sold they will return it if given the option.  

and the guy asking you which ream of paper is a better value may be the guy buying a plasma screen from you next week, not all customers are waisting your time. but if your nice to all of them then you wont miss the good ones.  

my best experience's as a buyer i remember being with the salesperson that not only answered my questions but asked them as well. most people wont fully understand what they are buying especially electronics so get to know what they are buying it for and what it will connect to. seems like extra time waisted to some but you can avoid a return from a customer taking home an item they cant use or dont want. better yet you stand a chance convincing them to buy more items to make there new item meet there needs.
  3.  permalink
    FRYS = Frequently Return Your Shit  
    ECS = Extra Crappy Shity:face-monkey:We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
  4.  permalink
    avoid anything with a white tag!!

Avoid a store with the name Frys on it!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2007
    I bought a few things in the far past with white tags on them from San Jose when I used to live over there. I never had any problems, though I clearly recall one missing a manual, but to hell if I need a manual. When all else fails there is a google search bar in my mozilla firefox, it works wonders. Besides, why not buy it, you can return it if a cable is missing.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2007 edited
    pinesal:When a sticker is placed inside the box it's because the item is determined by the returns person that the item was never opened by the customer.

Thank you. I was waiting for someone to say this... When a customer returns an item that appears to be unopened (strapped, shrink-wrapped), the associate still may open it to verify that the customer didn't re-seal it himself. If the associate deems that the item was never opened, a blank sticker goes on the inside, and no discount is applied. In your case, skullywag, the associate most likely opened the hard drive box, saw that the anti-static bag was still sealed, and deemed it unopened. The missing accessories you mentioned may have been taken by the customer without the associate realizing it (not likely, returns associates are trained to check contents listings either on the box or in the manual), or misplaced by the associate upon checking the box's contents. Either way, it was a rare mistake.  

Despite the fact that we sell open box items, we still get all kinds of grief from home office returns division for sending back things that could have been re-sold, or store-used. Certain vendors will allow for their product to be sent back under any circumstances, so that their product always appears fresh and unopened on the shelf. Also, we always send back anything opened that may have been used for someone's ears/nose/feet/etc (ear buds, bluetooth headsets, foot massagers, to name a few) for hygiene purposes. The store is charged 10% for RTV'ing anything that was not necessary to send back (still in sell-able condition) . Also, for anything that is broken and/or missing parts, we are not able to get credit back from the vendor, and the store is charged for the whole cost of the item. Things such as OEM software obviously cannot be resold once opened because the license key may or may not have been used by the previous customer, despite what he/she claims. If we make an acception to return it, it either must be store-used or sent to RTV for crush (thrown away and charged to the store). Now, knowing this, imagine if we sent back EVERYTHING that was returned. Yeah... no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2007
    AyaHu:I bought a few things in the far past with white tags on them from San Jose when I used to live over there. I never had any problems, though I clearly recall one missing a manual, but to hell if I need a manual. When all else fails there is a google search bar in my mozilla firefox, it works wonders. Besides, why not buy it, you can return it if a cable is missing.

I love you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Seconded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    I have to agree with
    CrazyFox213:
    avoid anything with a white tag!!

Avoid a store with the name Frys on it!!

I have to agree with Mozilla Crazyfoxi am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMcLovin
    Leave then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2007 edited
    You leave the message board. You are a frys fan boy. I recall this site being anti-frys.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoward
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2007 edited
    This site isn't anti-frys. Just some people are. Like you! I think this site is a good way for getting Fry's more publicity. We are part of this community around Fry's. If you hate Fry's so much you should leave as your helping Fry's become greater.Howard Dean for America '08
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2020
    Just thought I'd reply to some old "gems" to bring them to the top of post list, and show how Fry's got to where it is today. Spoiler Alert: It's NOT Amazon.
  5.  permalink
    After Fry's tacked on restock fees the amount of returns on the shelves went way down, but Fry's kept circling downhill. I wouldn't deny Fry's taking back incomplete products was a problem, but I think it was a minor piece of Fry's downfall.