Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlat
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    I hear a lot of negativity about Sales jobs at Fry's, but I have found very little information on this forum, and the Internet in general, about Service Technician jobs at Fry's. I understand that the techs there have to be A+ certified, so what kind of pay does this provide, and what are the general working conditions in the tech dept. like? If you have firsthand experience in this dept., it would be great to hear from you, but anybody who could shed some light on this for me would be greatly appreciated.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    How much do service technicians make?
    Service Technician here. AMA.
    AMA Service Technician
    Fry's Customer Service is the Worst in The World
    Thinking about PC technician position...
  2.  permalink
    being a service tech is 80% customer service, 20% actually fixing computers. most of the time you are listening to customer complaints, running around the store, answering phone calls, etc, etc.

you have 90 days to become A+, but it also depends on your manager since some will not even hire you without it.

pay is different for every store, and changes every quarter. for a starting tech, i would figure on average.. $12-$14/hr, depending on how much money that store makes. sup's make up to $20-$22/hr, possibly more for some stores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009
    Guest: being a service tech is 80% customer service, 20% actually fixing computers. most of the time you are listening to customer complaints, running around the store, answering phone calls, etc, etc.  

you have 90 days to become A+, but it also depends on your manager since some will not even hire you without it.  

pay is different for every store, and changes every quarter. for a starting tech, i would figure on average.. $12-$14/hr, depending on how much money that store makes. sup's make up to $20-$22/hr, possibly more for some stores.

I remember it being 16-17/hr at least that was what I was getting.
  3.  permalink
    $16-17 as what position, regular tech w/ A+, no A+, Sup. 1/2, etc.

also the store is a factor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009
    Guest: $16-17 as what position, regular tech w/ A+, no A+, Sup. 1/2, etc.  

also the store is a factor.

no A+, noob.
  4.  permalink
    store?
  5.  permalink
    Thanks for the info guys!
  6.  permalink
    Go work at a bank as a service tech. You get more money, really good benefits and paid holidays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009
    What is a service tech at a bank? What do you do?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    I am curious about the same thing.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRLucky
    Where I worked, good luck getting TRANSFERRED to the service department. I worked with some guys that already had their A+ but the managers kept dicking them around and wouldn't move them. They weren't good in sales 'cause they were tech nerds (like me!) LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited
    Make friends with your department manager or asm/sm and you might be able to get transfered over. I am so grateful for their ability to push me in even with 4 others in front of me.
  7.  permalink
    The service techs at the bank is basically the banks out personal service tech. They handle all the computers if something goes wrong and deal with the programs and repairs, etc. All you really do is maintain the computers and the system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    wtf sounds too easy. You kinda just sit there and wait for something to go wrong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009
    it is easy but you must to come up with solutions and have the systems back up and running inside of 10 minutes when something does go wrong or your gone. Remember the companies pay the techs to prevent money losses due to downtime. did this stuff for 2 years when I was at nano and i was on this forum every 10 minutes most days infact you could tell when i had something to do because my username wouldnt be on the site anymore as a logged in person.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    if your good the job is very boring you do nothing all day my brother who did the same thing for IBM became an expert at flicking rubber bands and catching them after they bounced off the wall. his record is 1213 shots before he missed one.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    System admin has got to be the best jobs ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    if you can find enough web comics to keep you entertained for hours on end ... you end up playing alot of free online games like travian and hobowars.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  8.  permalink
    Sounds great, sign me up.
    •  
      CommentAuthornscreated
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009 edited
    I'm in my 6th week (I think) of being a service tech. It's my first IT related job, and I love it.  

The pay isn't great. And I'm the only part-time tech on the crew--but the manager seems to think I'm ok because he schedules me the maximum number of hours allowed every week.  

I would disagree with the 80/20 ratio. In my case it's more 50/50. When I started, I was helping customers all the time, and the dep. manager said I needed to rotate responsibilities a little more and let the other techs have their turn. There's a pretty good unspoken rotation system going on at our store.  

We also learn polite ways to not let a chatty customer dominate our time.  

My biggest complaint is that the department is so regulated that the most straightforward solutions to problems aren't available to us. Frys Corp doesn't know who we are, so we have to be treated like mercenaries--kept on extremely tight leashes. Only one internet-connected machine, no permission to use (or even *request* to use) our own tools, etc.  

And then we have the laptop graveyard, which holds probably thousands of dollars worth of reusable parts, but can they be parted out, tested, and inventoried as spares? 'Course not. Makes too much sense.  

They wouldn't even let me bring in empty shoe boxes to help organize the mess of AC cables we have.  

I complain, but in fact, I understand. This isn't a mom-and-pop operation here. The rules are designed so that a Fry's store can function even if every manager, associate, and customer was a schizophrenic meth addicted child molesting kleptomaniac. With Aspergers. Not a single shred of honor or decency is taken for granted. The rules protect Fry's from theft, litigation, and liability at every twist and turn.  

And you gotta give it to them--if you're a faceless national corporation, that really is the best way to do things.
  9.  permalink
    So what are some polite ways to tell chatty customers to fuck off?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009
    Guest: So what are some polite ways to tell chatty customers to fuck off?

Nice attitude. Now you know why many people no longer do business with Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009 edited
    Guest: So what are some polite ways to tell chatty customers to fuck off?

send people to best buy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009
    and I broke all those rules. I brought my own tools I made a cardboard thing to organize the cubby hole you get I would consistently use things from the crush pile at one point we even stripped laptops that were in legal status for too long. I know all the holes in the system to take stuff out of frys without being caught.:face-devil-grin:Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009
    Just feel free to walk out of the store with new laptops.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2090
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    Service tech is mixed bag but all in all very nice.

+ Pay is great, much better than the entire store.
    + Doing worthwhile stuff, fixing computers is better than cleaning a toilet.

- You have to be certified (or just be a slacker and say "ILL GET IT IN 90 DAYS, NO WORRIES")
    - No customer is ever happy from the beginning and it always goes downhill, especially if you make promises.
    - Paperwork is even crazier than the customers.
    - Service coordinators don't get paid very well.
    - No rest, there's always 30 computers in line to be fixed.

As long as you're not an uppity faggot who wants to be the unique snowflake at the workplace its pretty good. Don't sweat things that you think "should be done." Its no skin off of my back if Fry's wants to crush a 1500 dollar laptop and not salvage the parts, why should I worry what they do with their money? I got COMPUTER STUFF to worry about.

To get some real discussion in here, what do my fellow techs think about the recent restocking fees on laptops (and now desktops, we got a roll of stickers for them now as well)? I would have thought that a 15% restocking fee would lower my inconvenience of having to PTR and restore computers, but it actually backfired on us in my opinion. Now instead of being hassled with the PTR, every single customer explodes when they find out about the restock fee (after they break the sticker of course) and we have to red carpet a bunch of stuff, taking up almost an hour of time instead of half an hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    I was red carpeting every single returned computer for a minimum of 4 hours to the computer department for having to deal with the returned unit and the customer returning so about 150-300$ of red carpet per return. We made bank one quarter infact we blew away all the rest of he departments but after they asked why so much red dollars.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    we would also have competitions in the department to see who could get their customers riled up the most without breaking frys policy (basically fries service policies stipulate just about anything goes except first and most second degree murders and most of all not giving away anything without stiffing the customer for all the cash they were carrying)Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  10.  permalink
    Anybody can work for service...The majority of the time they use a recovery disk :p to fix computers...lol....They don't want to be held accountable if they actually fix something and it ends up not working again lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    I would always fix things in any situation infact I was the go to guy for odd problems then there was an old electronics technician at store 6 who would actually find and replace bad capacitors chips and other components.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  11.  permalink
    Hmm interesting....I use to fix computers when i was bored....but now i could care less :(...going to start fixing computers again
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    why you board?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  12.  permalink
    when i was younger there was nothing to do...so what to do...fix compu. and play games...now that im older...dont have time...go out more...more social...i know a lot of people...:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    same here but its all from behind a computer screenLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  13.  permalink
    yep yep yep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    life ... ive still got 3 I think lost one at the last pit I jumped. Then lost one more in an office meeting.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2090
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    Why don't you two take it to PM instead of shitting up every thread in the forum?
  14.  permalink
    why don't you fuck off and go to hell Guest
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Not that I'd use the same colorful language as "guest", but he is right. Almost every thread has back and forth stuff between you and Suzuki.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    I quit answering all the drivel. Its a waste of time.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  15.  permalink
    :(:face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    need good content.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  16.  permalink
    Ok, I will change :) I am Obama :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    see what change can do.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    I'm still waiting for the change I can believe in.
  17.  permalink
    It will soon happen as soon as this Health Care Bill Passes you are going to Love it :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    I probably will. It will be the first time taxes seem to be beneficial.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  18.  permalink
    You are a Democrat :s
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    noooooo I am a republican ..... GO BUSH YAY WAR AND I SHIT ON THE REST OF THE WORLD USA USA USA. YAY FOR FOX "NEWS" BLATHER.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    WOOOT FOR UNREGULATED CAPITALISM SO I CAN BUY A WHOLE SLEW OF OVERPRICED CRAP FROM BIG CORPORATIONS AND CHEAP CRAP FROM PLACES LIKE FRIED WOOOOOT. I GET TO PAY FOR THE HUGE SCREW UPS CAPITALISM CAN CREATE WOOOT TO PAYING MORE TAXES FOR USELESS SCREW UPS AND STILL NOT HAVE ANY MEDICAL COVERAGE WOOT. See all those things you stand up tall and proud for by being a republican and Bush wondered why he had a shoe thrown at him. Anyone notice the "NUMERO UNO" nation on the face of the planet is behind the rest of the top nations in everything from technology to medical to education. The only reason we are the number one nation is the size of our army.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....