Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorcanasian
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    Ok well being that I said we haven't been paid hourly wages for a month it is obvious I am from Renton store 30. Commissions were supposed to go up to make up for the lost wages. Well it has and... it hasn't. I work in A/V Audio sales and 2-5 out of the 25 or so salesman are only MATCHING if not exceeding their previous pay checks each week. Everyone else took a SEEERRRIIIOUUSSS cut. The 3 weeks BEFORE the change, I was taking home over $600 after tax. Enough to pay bills, car payment, and drink lots of booze and eat overpriced exotic food AND put a little away in the bank while filling corporates' wallets with fat cash.  

Commission on items depends on GP percentage. Items that are in the 40-points of margin bracket and higher pay the best, close to 10% net. 30-something points is around 5-7% net. For example, Infinity TSS-1200 which retails for $1200 pays $108 when before it was $80. Not too bad even though last year it paid $120. Assholes. The best speaker brands went DOOOWWWNNN in commission. Velodyne, Polk Audio, and the grand daddy of all, Martin Logan all pay LESS. Example; Velodyne DLS-3500 8" front-firing subwoofer. Costs $399 used to pay $38 now pays $31. Martin Logan Source costs $1097 each, used to pay $90ish now pays $50 each. (That's a weird one cause it's super profitable so it might be just this item is weird). All Polk Audio RTi and DSW products now pay 10% less. TSi and PSW products went up though and pay 7% net. (Polk PSW10 $199 subwoofer pays 14. TSI200 Bookshelf pair $299 pays $21 not bad)  

A lot of items like cheap cables and small accessories suddenly pay 1-3 dollars, but Audio getting commission hits on the 3 major speaker brands is rather depressing. Supposedly we need to accessorize more, however I accessorize the shit out of every customer with cables and plugs and who knows doo-dad shit all the time as it is. It helps but NOT ENOUGH. I have a rundown of what it's like experiencing the new structure.  

Week 1: A decent week in sales, however after taxes I took home $270. Every single accessories/tele-sales associate made more than me per hour. Lots of bitching from A/V and Computers associates!!  

Week 2: Home office tells us the reason us audio people aren't making enough money is that we aren't selling headphones and mp3 players. They were right in that headphones with good GP would pay 10% of net. Like Sennheiser $120 wireless headphones paid $12, Bose $99 earbuds pay $10. I grind out headphones as hard as I can and I do okay. I finish the week with $570 and take home $430 after taxes. It's mediocre considering the level of high-end product I pushed that week but I can live with it.  

Week 3: The best thing ever happens. My Martin Logan Source Special-Edition gets LPG'ed!!! Originally sold for $799 each (Paying $118 each). I check my commission report after my days off and I take a $176 hit!!! The $236 sale becomes a $60 sale. The numbers work out because the Logans during THIS week on sale paid $60 a pair, but I got face-fucked :face-crying: by the difference. I missed a big meeting but my LPG was brought up and 'SUPPOSEDLY' I will be getting every penny back. I have yet to see or hear anything about this. I get help from coworkers and I'm able to finish the week $440 positive taking home $340 after tax. With 41 hours of work, I would've been MUCH better off in tele-sales.  

Week 4: It's fairly slow... but I'm still able to move some nice product. I also get some returns which hurt all the more because there's no hourly... I finished somewhere around $257 and after taxes and 36+ hours, I risk taking home a check that begins with a 1. :face-crying: :face-sad:  

I have always been top 3 (Usually #1) in audio sales but this new structure has ended up being a pay cut. Anyone attending V-Cons or knows about our audio team, I consider us #1 in the damn company. If we aren't #1 we almost never slip past #3 when it comes to moving badass product. I'm proud of the Martin Logans that we sell and all the high-end equipment we've been able to move in the last month, but the biggest pay check so far was around $600 after taxes made by a fellow audio associate in week 2.  

VIDEO is another story. They're having a slightly easier time with 2-3 of them able to hit the $1,000 commission mark each week. However once they hit that higher tax bracket they get eye-gouged. Regardless, they were able to hit that number BEFORE this new structure and everyone else is getting gouged in the face.  

Cameras suffered THE MOST in weeks 1 and 2. It sorta got better but when they get taxed they'll be taking home pay checks that begin with a 1.  

Car Audio... I dunno. It's whatever we've got a total of like 3 salesman after losing 3 others. One guy kind of does okay and finished at $500ish mark but this was doable BEFORE the new structure.  

For the Computers guys.... I am not computers but I was computer sales BEFORE I switched to A/V. For part-timers it's fucking awesome. They come in on the weekends and make 2-300 dollars in an 8-hour shift and go home! For the full-timers you're SCREWED!! MASSIVE pay cut! To give you an idea of pay, a friend made $800 in the first week, and took home about $6-something after taxes. He was cussing up a storm when he saw his check because he was able to take home $800 before the new structure.  

To sum it up, it's bad. I told myself I'd give it a month and it sucks balls. They are taking away hourly, forcing you to sell MORE, and when you DO, you STILL don't get paid a lot on it! This is VVVEEEEERRRYYY profitable which is why they are rolling it out to every store. Just bend over because VERY few will be unaffected. I will hopefully get a new sales job through my ASM friend in an industry that is booming and isn't shatting on their sales employees.  

For all of you in Sales, this is the last thing you want to be hearing but it is the truth. Begin looking for new jobs if you can or see if they'll transfer you to Returns/Tele-Sales/Software as they have done for some of us. 1 week before Black Friday in November I will be coming up to my 4th loyal year at Fry's. It will be hard saying goodbye to all the strong relationships with coworkers. Some I will continue to see, for all else, it will be sparingly or not at all.  

Thank you for listening to me vent. The End is Here.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    What improvements would you like on the site?
    What its like to be a Fry's Sales Person...
    What is the hourly rate for working at Frys?
    What is the job application and interview like? And how hard is it to get a job?
    User does not believe Linux can run without Windows
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    Great story.  

Do you still have to do schematics, carts, closing and opening shifts? Do you have to work for free basically? Also do you get paid minimum wage if you do not make the your numbers?  

You know I've always depended on minimum wage to pay for the taxes. Example: If you made 600 in commission plus minimum wage you took home about $600. But this is horrible because they cut commissions too.  

I figured that you would make more money on this plan, assuming commissions are adjusted higher so you make the same as before, you can work slightly harder to make even more!  

So I wonder.. Will Frys will roll this pay structure company wide? Will they raise commissions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    How can you work without an hourly base? I don't believe you can in California, unless you are an independent. Are you required to do schematics, as mentioned?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    asdf: Great story.  

Do you still have to do schematics, carts, closing and opening shifts? Do you have to work for free basically? Also do you get paid minimum wage if you do not make the your numbers?  

You know I've always depended on minimum wage to pay for the taxes. Example: If you made 600 in commission plus minimum wage you took home about $600. But this is horrible because they cut commissions too.  

I figured that you would make more money on this plan, assuming commissions are adjusted higher so you make the same as before, you can work slightly harder to make even more!  

So I wonder.. Will Frys will roll this pay structure company wide? Will they raise commissions?

This post is exactly what I have been saying.. they are not raising the commissions and people will be making less.. ;) well lets see if anything changes.. I have my doubts.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    I had little hope the change would be beneficial. Thanks for the details, they have been lacking. Get people at your store to create accounts here.
  2.  permalink
    Great post, very insightful. But we still need an answer to the million dollar question that has been raised in a few threads here:

(Copied from above):
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sasquatch: I had little hope the change would be beneficial. Thanks for the details, they have been lacking. Get people at your store to create accounts here.

People should join. even anonymously if they have to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcanasian
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited
    OK keyboard and mouse locked up after 5 paragraphs of thoughts so DAMNIT. Anyways time to start again...  

Yes I still have a schematic. I am occassionally told by a RESPONSIBLE and AWARE supervisor to walk my schematic so I have no problem with that. It's easy anyways and is all big boxes with demos and it rarely changes. We were supposed to do 'less' walking items up, putting carts away, opening, closing, TSRing... and little has changed. When it's slow we are told to put away carts and TSR... The only real change has been closing in that those who were scheduled until 11:00pm are now scheduled until 10:00pm and usually get out before 9:30pm. Not too bad. I still have opening shifts at 7:30 during the weekday which is a crock of shit. I guess SOMEBODY has to turn on demos, present morning product, and do the Fry's cheer.  

I have always depended on minimum wage to take care of taxes as well Mr. asdf. Those who were able to hit the $1000 commission mark are also entering the higher tax bracket... I'm not sure where that number is, but for example... a $1100 check will get taxed MORE than a $900 check. Person who made $900 has a VERY good chance of making more than the person with the $1100 check because they are taxed a lower percentage. Without hourly, that pillow is gone and people are getting completely reamed. We have salesman that stop selling and are trying to NOT hit the $1000 mark in order to avoid the higher tax bracket. Hourly was important in that it helped out slower weeks to survive, and helped absorb the heavy taxation when a lot of money was made.  

We recently had a meeting with management about this new system... it is becoming permanent and WILL be rolling out company-wide. Well of COURSE profits are fucking high and they didn't have to pay a cent of sales labor for these two departments! If anyone happened to attend A/V V-Con 3 or 4 weeks ago, the buyers put our store's top A/V salesman on the board and blew it up like "OOHH MY GOD WE ARE VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS NEW COMMISSION STRUCTURE LOOK AT HOW MUCH MONEY THESE PEOPLE ARE MAKING BLAH BLAH BLAH." He did a DAMN good job of making it seem like we were making SSOOO much money that we didn't know what to do with it!! False! All of those people took a massive cut that week and bitched quite a bit.  

By law Fry's must pay us hourly OR commission, whichever is greater. If we cannot match our hourly with commission, Fry's will match it and we will enter a draw. Supposedly it's 3 draws and FIRE per quarter. People have drawn but not 3 times yet so we have yet to see how solid that is.  

The pay cut is universal so I advise... BEGIN looking for new jobs OR... they have moved 2 of our salesman to returns for the 12-13 dollar an hour pay, and another down to accessories at a 10 dollar per hour rate. Few others have quit already. Everyone wants it to work but it isn't and that's why I'm seeking new employment.  

As for A/T and Components Sales... they are safe for now but I can say due to the massive profit increases from A/V and Computers, they are likely to change those departments to the new system. Fry's will be recycling people if they have to until they have a set of people that accept the pay because people will always need jobs. I gave them a month to fix it and well there has been the ever so SLIGHTEST increases in certain commissions. Not good enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    Un-be-lievable... or not... I've seen this sort of scheme in the financial/insurance sector, and in several cases, there was a wholesale walkout by employees. It goes without saying that Fried is doing this only to save them money (i.e. lower payroll costs).  

I knew this handling their risk management - Fry's doesn't care about the employees. They never have and never will. as canasian noted, he's looking elsewhere. Smart thing. The best thing that could happen to Fry's is to have their "top" salespersons walk out. It would be interesting to see what the EEOC would have to say about this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    You probably have to pay back the draw as well right? Are they really strict on overtime as well? And is there fairness in the scheduling?
  3.  permalink
    So it's turning into exactly the clusterfuck that I envisioned. Imagine my surprise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcanasian
    Assuming it's like any draw system, yes you have to pay it back by earning extra commission. Still no details on if you actually get fired though. They're strict on overtime in that they DON'T want you to do it because that means you'll have to be matching 1.5x the minimum wage and that makes it harder if you're a borderline draw person. If anything they tell you to leave during slow hours and come back when you think it'll be busy. (I've done that before and as soon as I left two people made like $200 what a mistake!!) I think I open too much... so I'm gonna get that changed. At least we have decent supervisors and manager that will listen and work with me to make things fair and right. Also coverage became a fuck-up storm cause nobody gives a shit about showing up on time anymore lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Kinda glad I didn't transfer to AV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    You can leave without affecting coverage?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    WOW. What a nightmare. THe old timers, have left, or were let go, and now the new ones take a position. Un F****** believable. I still can't understand how Ca. stores can get under the minimum wage. They did a draw system, suspended IT. And now that i think about it, suspended the people too.  

This company gets away with so much, and all you do is complain here. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT>  

THey locked in people at the time clock, they BLOCKED FIRE EMERGENCY EXITS WITH TRANSFER CAGES>>>>> MORE TO FOLLOW>>>>
  4.  permalink
    You do affect coverage, but our manager is empathetic and will sacrifice perfect coverage to help us not tag on too many hours. We will take 30 minute lunches but not clock back in on weekends. It's becme acceptably loose and rightfully so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    I guess you have to just plan ahead. Plan ahead to make money every time and all the time. Take your 1 hour lunch you do deserve it. You shouldn't have to work illegally. Of all the commission only based jobs I'd say this has to be the worse. You have to work your ass of for so little pay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    My sympathies to those in AV and Computers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    That sucks :<Superhero!
  5.  permalink
    It's more than likely they've got a comm only system in the works for components and a/t. Sears appliance sales are comm only so it works for them somehow. Only software and cafe will not be effected.
  6.  permalink
    Guest: It's more than likely they've got a comm only system in the works for components and a/t. Sears appliance sales are comm only so it works for them somehow. Only software and cafe will not be effected.

and returns. Yea returns not havin to do schmatics or comm. Lovin it:face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorstore#17
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009
    the 100% commission will certainly get people off there ass and is definately a motivator to help more customers. just the other day there was a sales associate just watching a movie and collecting his hourly while others were helping customers. this may be a factor< who knows. anyways there are a few retailers out there that pay commission only. ONE THING IS THE COMPETITORS PAY A HIGHER % OF COMMISSION, THE ONE I KNOW OF PAYS 16% OF THE PROFIT.  
    the thing is corporate really needs to look at the profits and what they pay. for ex: there was a customer looking at a home theater in a box one for $229.99 with $2.00 in profit the other system $349.99 with $50 in profit BOTH PAID $0 . Customer asked which one she should buy i just told her go with the less expensive one that there was no benefit with the other, now lets see if the buyer had any brains he would of threw a few dollars on the one with $50 in profit and the company would of made $45 dollars but because of the greed i made sure they made $2.00 i am a dedicated employee and i love what i do but i agree that corporate needs to come up with a better pay structure.......:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009
    I love my job ever since that joyous day of leaving frys .... ahhhhhh:face-smile:Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobenever
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009
    its almost the end of oct. anything that u can enlighten us about the pay structure canasian? anything at all about the new pay system?
  7.  permalink
    Suzukiman: I love my job ever since that joyous day of leaving frys .... ahhhhhh:face-smile:

Me too!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    gossipgirl025:
    Suzukiman: I love my job ever since that joyous day of leaving frys .... ahhhhhh:face-smile:

Me too!!

I get paid less, but loving it with all the stress gone. :)Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    A little stress is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    more stress = more money
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009
    asdf: more stress = more money

=less time to enjoy itHiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    well with me its less stress = more money.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    Suzukiman: well with me its less stress = more money.

work smarter not harder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    exactly. I have found nothing stressful about staring at a desk full of monitors 6 in allLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Multiplex that into 24.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    even betterLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorchosen1
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    asdf: Great story.  

it is going company wide, store 20 is suppose to start this monday and store17 is suppose to start on the 11th. so basically there has been items with plenty of margin on them still with no commission. so what i have been telling the customer were out of stock. if the company wants to screw us SCREW THEM:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorchosen1
    so this little weasel from corporate. no names but lets just say he is the ddm for av. short troll looks like something from alice in wonderland. when he was in our store he mentioned to me that commissions were going to stay the same and no increases were going to happen. the sales associates are the backbone in the sales departments and they are definately looking to lose a lot of sales and a lot of sales people. i told a customer the other day we didnt have something in stock because it had about $100 in profit and the company couldnt even throw in a few dollars. so once more the company lost money instead of making approx $95 if they paid us a few. I think everyone should send a tell randy about how stupid this whole thing is. i heard there are companies that pay 10-20% of the margin if they werent on hourly wage. so if i dont make anything on a customer then i dont help them. thats my motto for the day:face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    anyone want to go under my frys union? If I hear enough yesses I will create one then suck up employees so corporate cant shut it down by firing people as I am not part of the company.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  8.  permalink
    For the love of God, please start a union. If you get fired for joining a union or for talking about joining a union Fry's gets in big trouble in federal court.
    Look it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    well I have one person for the frys union If you want to join make a gmail or yahoo account and post the address here I will send info to people and if I get enough people onboard I will start one.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  9.  permalink
    everything u have heard about the commision only is true, u make 1300 less a month and expected to work twice as hard to make it up while still doing ur schematic, tsr, go backs. u still get schedualed at the opening hours and 30 minutes after the store closes.............. computers is a shit whole 2 guys r makeing close to normal only 150 to 200 dollar pay cut a week instead of the full 336 EVERYONE ELSE IS CLOSE TO MINUMUM WAGE OR LIKE COUPLE BUCKS OVER. wev got a top 5 producer in the company and i doubt he will stay. upper management tryed to sell it to us as being the same or more and how its gunna be better..... when it hit, first off they havent evan switch the commision completly over shi doesnt pay like they said it would DOUBT THEY EVER FIX EVERYTHING PAYING A PERCENTAGE LIKE THEY SAID... DOESNT LOOK LIKE THERE GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT....... similar things happening in av as well. FIND ANTHER JOB CUS SHIPPS GOIN DOWN FELLAS. IF UR A BALLA U MIGHT BE ABLE TO SQUEEZE IT TELL AFTER CHRIMSTMAS BUT ITS GRIMM. FCKED UP. EVERYONE SHOULD BAN TOGETHER AND PUSH AD KILLAS TELL THEY GO BACK TO THE OLD PAY STRUCTER OR JUST TO FCK EM. GOOD LUCK GOD SPEED.
  10.  permalink
    So the new comission only pay is bullshit. Management will tell you that more money is down the isles than before, they'll even give you specific examples. What they're not telling you is that for the vast majority of items, the commission is less than before. Monster pays less than 10% for the most part where it used to pay 10%. There isn't anything in any given section that pays more than 10% net price, and there is usually only one item that does, and it tends to be something obscure or only useful for the customers who come in looking for that specific product. Laptop and netbook commissions have gone up a little, but unless you are peddling laptops and netbooks three times as fast as you were, you'll be making less. Lets not forget that management is up everyone's ass to get down the isles and not stand around waiting for customers to decide on a product. There is no money down the isles! There is one keyboard that pays 6 bucks. Nothing else pays, or it only pays like $0.40. Many products with GP don't pay any commission at all. Fry's is lying to all the sales staff. Everyone is getting a paycut, the ones who have it best are the part timers who have no schematic expectations and they don't have to pay back fry's for working hours where no customers are in the store. Make no mistake, if there are no customers in the store or you are expected to do a schematic WHILE customers are in the store, you have to make up that minimum wage during the hours when customers are there.

Let me restate that. Jim works 8 hours on tuesday morning and 8 hours saturday night. The eight hours he worked tuesday morning jim doesn't have a single customer in the store. The eight hours saturday he fights with all the other sales staff for the customers that are flooding the store. Jim didn't get paid to work on tuesday but fry's HAS to pay Jim minimum wage so Fry's makes Jim pay his own wages out of what he makes on Saturday. Even if Jim makes $200 commission on saturday, he has to pay for the 8 hours (say $9.00 an hour) of minimum wage he should have made on tuesday AND the 8 hours minimum wage he should be making on saturday.

8+8 times $9.00 = $144.00 Take that away from the $200 Jim made and he's only made $56.00 in commission. Since when is $56.00 commission acceptable on a Saturday?

Now of course Jim will write up a few quotes on tuesday but for every hour of time he's expected to do his schematic or answer the phone, or do go-backs, Jim will have to pay fry's for his time.
  11.  permalink
    If a union is formed, the post two above this one is correct. The best way to hurt Fry's fast and make them see that sales people are valued employees and not just best buy employees is to push ad piece laptops all day long. Fuck warranty service, fuck accessories. Push ad pieces until fry's breaks down. What can fry's do? Fire us for pushing the products THEY advertise? I'm sure attorney generals in every state fry's is in would be interested in Fry's policy of bait and switch.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralanac
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009
    As I stated in my post Fry's cares more about publicity eg (There Golf Tournament) then there employees.I am with you lets start a union.But unfortunately there are so many pu---ies in the chain it will never happen.:face-sad: Randy,John,Dave and Kathy are just concerned with lining there own pockets and not concerned about there employees making a decent living
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    and I said this was going to happen the whole time.. Fry's had no plans to raise commissions... :) and of course they say they raised them in the aisles, but won't tell you where...Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009 edited
    The items pay MORE so you can make the SAME pay as before. You can actually make MORE money EASIER and FASTER because of the higher commissions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    well if you want a union post email addresses.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  12.  permalink
    Guest:Lets not forget that management is up everyone's ass to get down the isles and not stand around waiting for customers to decide on a product. There is no money down the isles! There is one keyboard that pays 6 bucks. Nothing else pays, or it only pays like $0.40. Many products with GP don't pay any commission at all. Fry's is lying to all the sales staff

Yeah I used to love when they pushed that shit on you. Like you're gonna clean up selling $2 crap instead of high dollar items. Fact is that someone's gonna come in and get a $2000 laptop with a 5 year PSC and if you're in aisle 24 explaining to some retard about tablets you're not gonna make anything while the 4-5 ones that refuse to get more that 5 feet from the high-end laptops will get those sales. At least you guys aren't forced to sell those piece of shit Fry's computers anymore. What an abortion those things were.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    Go to the usb drive isle and sell those all day. They pay good and you can probably sell 10 per hour x $2 commission x 8 hours = $180 in commission, in one week thats a $900 check.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    try 1 every 2 hours that is $8 x 6 days = $48 commision  

selling 10 per hour is selling 1 every 6 minutes the only time there is that many customers is black friday and even then it would be a serious challenge to meet that number as you would have to get then a quote which still takes 6 minutes by itself.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  13.  permalink
    Thank you Suzikiman, asdf is retarded if he thinks there is any money down the usb isle. Guys who followed management's advice made the highest GP percentage for the store. They also had the lowest GP dollar amount. If Fry's wants sales associates to sell more GP dollars per hour they need to pay us accordingly. Instead the way commission is set up, you have to sell laptops, desktops, netbooks, and PSC's. It's the only way to make a living.

Of course during the weekdays and slow weekend hours sales people will be jacking sales left and right. At our store it's started to get bad. People are rewriting other salesmen's quotes at the podium, just zeroing out the old quote and rewriting it under their name. Some guys are purposely logging under other salesmen's associate numbers using an incorrect password in order to lock them out of the system temporarily. Some associates will log a salesman out when he's not looking, then log in under their own name and the sale will unwittingly go to the sneaky bastard salesman.

The most commonly used method of stealing sales is to find a customer that's been helped and is walking away with a quote in hand, or find a customer who's salesperson is in back getting the laptop. Ask them what they're buying, then show them the ad-piece and talk it up as the better deal. Throw in some info about how you could get the ad-piece and warranty for as much or just a little more than they're paying for the laptop the first salesman showed them and you've successfully jacked the sale. At the very least you'll end up splitting a PSC.

ADSF is spewing out the same shit as management. It doesn't work and it doesn't pay. There might be one or two USB sticks worth selling, but in the 20 minutes it takes you to sell those, your friendly laptopcamping salesman has picked up $20 commission from the PSC he sold. You'll make more money fishing for customers and PSC's in two hours than you will scrambling down every isle writing up every quote you can find.

What no one has said so far is that Fry's has cut sales staff pay TWICE this quarter. Once when they took away hourly pay. Again when they changed commission. Monster surge protectors paid 10% net. Now they pay 5% with only two exceptions, and both are around $130. There isn't another surge protector that pays more than monster did or does now. Almost every category of product is the same. Printers pay less than ever. They moved commission from there to ink. Now you need to sell ink with a printer if you want to make any cash at all. Clearance commission has been drastically reduced. Apple notebooks on clearance paid $45 a week ago. Today, zero.

If you want to start a fight at Fry's, as a customer, go into the laptop isle, find a mid to high end laptop and talk to an associate about it. Have him go in back to get it, then ask another associate if he thinks it's a good deal. Then ask another associate. Ask to see other laptops like it. Keep bouncing back from associate to associate. Right now people are ready to get in fist fights over who a sale belongs to.

Way to go Fry's. Hope you like your high GP%, good luck keeping the lights on when your salesmen are writing up 1/4 of the GP$ per hour though.