Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    KILLING NAZIS
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    What improvements would you like on the site?
    What its like to be a Fry's Sales Person...
    What is the hourly rate for working at Frys?
    What is the job application and interview like? And how hard is it to get a job?
    User does not believe Linux can run without Windows
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009
    my google account says otherwiseLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  3.  permalink
    you dare question me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Guest: The union will pick up steam January 15th. After every salesman realizes that they're not going to be able to pay their bills for the next three months.

How much will it cost to join? and may I be elected President?Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  4.  permalink
    Mr. X you are a bastard. Kind of like Rats...A Virus....A disease. What do we do with rats? Do we feed them milk? Do we like them? No, WE Kill THEM!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    GORILLA MAN: Mr. X you are a bastard. Kind of like Rats...A Virus....A disease. What do we do with rats? Do we feed them milk? Do we like them? No, WE Kill THEM!!!!

I though you milked them to create Malk?Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  5.  permalink
    We Kill Them!!!!!!!!!!!
  6.  permalink
    Something about that comment and that picture put together is so morbid.
  7.  permalink
    Are you a Jew?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009
    lMAOLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  8.  permalink
    Very suspicious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4882
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009
    Store 11 (Burbank) is about to start all-commission on December 28th. As if sales weren't really slow to start with already...

This is going to be bad, really bad. The fact that there's even a "draw" system for us (for those averaging less than minimum wage) hints at how bad it's going to be.

My pay checks have been steadily decreasing. I use to be making easily way over 20 bucks an hour about 6 months ago. And had about a steady 20+ an hour for the whole year of 2008.

The sad part is, those of us who were making great money will either 1) Quit or 2) Get fired. And they will soon be replaced by new guys who will be more than happy to get 9-12 per hour, not knowing what use to be of our department.

Time for me to start looking elsewhere...
  9.  permalink
    Thats the only thing you can do...Look for other jobs..Fuck Fry's
  10.  permalink
    No, I just have a heart.
  11.  permalink
    How sweet......
  12.  permalink
    To store 11 hey man are you in computers? hows no homo treating you AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA its about to roll out on store ten to and all hell si breaking out. My biggest questions cant even be answered,. HOW THE FUCK AM I GOING TO GET PAID MY PERSONAL DAYS AND VACATION DAYS. no hourly on them??// and why the fuck am I going to close or do schematics. I know BURBANK is a small store and everyone had to dedicate one day to doing schematics and the go backs were horrible.
    sigh
    time to hurry and finish school and fuck frys. I would have stayed with a higher degree and maybe move to home office to try and help make the place a more professional company but fuck that.
  13.  permalink
    They pay your vacation by averaging out your weekly checks....if you made 20 bucks an hour consistently chances are you are still going to get it...if you made crap...your going to get crap as a check lol i suggest VQ
  14.  permalink
    sorry gorilla man, so does that apply to personal days off to? so now personal days can be more then just 8hrs at minimum wage a day?

also does anyone in the other stores that are doing this right now know what a 1099 form is? and will it work?
  15.  permalink
    I think it does...not 100 percent sure though :( sorry....  

Form 1099 is a form promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and is used in the United States income tax system to prepare and file an information return to report various types of income other than wages, salaries, and tips (for which Social Security Administration Form W-2 is used instead). The term information return is used in contrast to the term tax return although the latter term is sometimes used colloquially to describe both kinds of returns.  
    Each payer must complete a 1099 for each covered transaction. Three copies are made: one for the payer, one for the payee, and one for the IRS.  
    IRS instructions for form 1099, including a guide to what payments must be reported.  
    Examples of report amounts paid to independent contractors (in IRS terminology, such payments are nonemployee compensation). The ubiquity of the form has also led to use of the phrase "1099" to refer to contractors themselves. U.S. tax law requires businesses to submit a Form 1099 for every contractor paid at least $600 for services during a year. This requirement usually does not apply to corporations receiving payments.  
    Many businesses and organizations must file thousands of 1099s per year. Thus, payers who file 250 or more Form 1099 reports must file all of them electronically[3] with the IRS. The 250 or more requirement applies separately for each type of return and separately for each type of corrected return. Even though filers may submit 249 information returns on paper, the IRS encourages filers to transmit returns electronically. The complexity that arises in filing large volumes of information returns requires many filers to depend on third party information reporting software.  
    If the fewer than 250 or more requirement is met, and paper copies are filed, the IRS also requires the payer to submit a copy of form 1096. The 1096 is a summary of information forms being sent to the IRS. You need one 1096 for each type of information form you have issued.  
    For further information refer to Publication 1220, Specifications for Filing Forms 1098, 1099, 5498 and W-2G Electronically or Publication 1187, Specifications for Filing Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding.[4] The IRS no longer accepts 3 1/2-inch diskettes or tape cartridges for filing information returns. Since December 1, 2008, electronic filing is the ONLY acceptable method to file information returns to the IRS at its computing center in Kearneysville, West Virginia. One can upload 1099 returns to the IRS using their FIRE (Filing Information Returns Electronically) web site at fire.irs.gov.[5] Form 1099 is also used to report interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), sales proceeds (1099-B) and some kinds of miscellaneous income (1099-MISC). Blank Form 1099s and the related instructions to the forms can be downloaded from the IRS website.[6]  
    Payees use the information provided on the 1099 forms to help them complete their own tax returns. In order to save paper, payers can give payees one single Combined Form 1099 that lists all of their 1099 transactions for the entire year. Taxpayers are usually not required to attach Form 1099s to their own Federal income tax returns unless the Form 1099 includes a report for Federal income tax withheld by the payer from the related payments.
    •  
      CommentAuthormilh467
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009
    Really? You really think you deserve that much money by spending between 5 - 30 minutes with a customer? Be glad you even have a job right now in this economy.  

PS: if you are spending more than 30 minutes, you are a crappy ass salesman. No matter who, I can close the deal within 30 minutes; otherwise, that person is there to waste your time and is very unlikely to complete the sale with you.
  16.  permalink
    10 minutes should be good...just tell customer...It's top of the line....won't mess up....better than cheap quality laptops..bam..you have a sale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    If you can't make $1k a week in selling computers, you should probably not be in sales. Learn to sell. Being on commission only is actually better. You should make more, commissions are higher, and theres less overhead.
  17.  permalink
    Depends where your store is located....If you live in the "GHETTO" chances are you will be making less that your usual payday...On the other hand, if you live in a rich white area..you will probably be making double...I'm just stating the facts...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited
    asdf: If you can't make $1k a week in selling computers, you should probably not be in sales. Learn to sell. Being on commission only is actually better. You should make more, commissions are higher, and theres less overhead.

I used to sell jewelry at dillards and made more than 1k a day. With computers which have a higher price, higher payout, and aer more in demand, there is no excuse.Superhero!
  18.  permalink
    Thats good Ayahu...Why did you quit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    I moved up in the world.Superhero!
  19.  permalink
    Nice, Now you are?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009
    SEM Manager and Creative Director.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    someone to answer you questions the cost of joining will be in the contract and yes there is as democratic a system as we live in set up for voting a new union president in.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  20.  permalink
    Congrats I am happy for your accomplishments :) Keep it up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    AyaHu: SEM Manager and Creative Director.

Same here except for the Creative director part. Though I do deserve that title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    asdf:

Same here except for the Creative director part. Though I do deserve that title.

If you tell your graphic design department what to do and tell your company how to brand themselves, then you are as good as in my book.Superhero!
  21.  permalink
    Supposedly, the test store in Renton increased there sales when they changed to only commission, so who know's what's going to happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009
    AyaHu:
    asdf:

If you tell your graphic design department what to do and tell your company how to brand themselves, then you are as good as in my book.

Yesterday I did just that, and argued how stupid it would be to change our company branding. Just imagine Nike changing their logo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Guest: Supposedly, the test store in Renton increased there sales when they changed to only commission, so who know's what's going to happen.

welcome to the holidays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    asdf:
    AyaHu:
    asdf:

If you tell your graphic design department what to do and tell your company how to brand themselves, then you are as good as in my book.

Yesterday I did just that, and argued how stupid it would be to change our company branding. Just imagine Nike changing their logo.

or the SciFi Channel changing their name to something liek SyFY ChannelHiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    The Shack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    worked well for The CityHiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    Once you brand yourself you're essentially stuck with it for at least 15 years. Pepsi got away with it though.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorworkerbee
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    Guest: For all you non-commission stores out there who are soon to switch I thought I'd let you know how sales staff are getting paid now at commission stores. For you customers wondering why sales staff act strangely, maybe this will shed some light.  

Fry's sales staff are not paid hourly outside California. Commissions aren't a set percentage of the total sale either, like at other commission stores. One laptop might pay $5.00 another $40.00 and it doesn't matter how much a customer is paying for the laptop. If the laptop is on sale the salesman doesn't make any commission at all unless he attaches accessories or warranty service. Desktops, printers, etc are all the same.  

Most desktops and laptops only pay $3.00-$7.00. Warranties pay 15% of the price. Accessories pay $0.20-$4.00 depending on how much it makes the store and what kind of accessory it is.  

Right now the salesmen making the most money spend their time camping laptops and desktops during busy hours, focusing on selling the three laptops/desktops that actually pay well, attaching warranty service, and maybe 2 accessories they know pay. They're ditching customers who aren't willing to buy the laptop that pays and aren't willing to get warranty service. When customers aren't in laptops and desktops top salesmen are looking out for customers in the ink isle and customers with tons of stuff in their cart.  

Every hour a salesman is in the store, he's paying Fry's $8.50 an hour to be there. If you're working weekday and weekend shifts, your weekends will be paying for your weekdays. If there's a shift where you consistently don't make money, drop that shift. If you are decent at selling you will probably be better off switching to part time weekends only and finding a weekday job that will put your selling skills to use.  

Everyone is making less than they did before. On slow weeks people are making a LOT less. Commissions pay less than before on most accessories, so unless it is very slow getting down the isles isn't worth it.

Well stated. I just started a few months ago and our store just went to commission only. Working part time I was making as much as my previous full time job and enjoying the three days off per week. Now, I'll have to go find a full time job, bummer since I was kinda enjoying working at Fry's compared to some other sales jobs I've had. Everyone in my department wonders how they can make up for the $250 weekly paycut. For some that's a small paycut and for others that's a large pay cut.
  22.  permalink
    So far its not a bad as I thought it would be. Its nice not having close either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4882
    1 Week in to this "All Commision" Structure, I can say there are a lot more "cons" than "pros".

Pros:

-No closing

Cons:

-I've been working long enough to know that the beginning of January has more customers looking for "After" sales. After that, we will be struggling to meet the minimum requirements (minimum wage). Pathetic.
    -The management can't schedule for sh!t. It is very bad during the 1 through 4 pm hours in weekdays. We have as many salesmen as customers on the floor.
    -Unethical practices. They are TRYING to MAKE us do schematics, pallets, etc. I am sorry, but I do NOT work for free!!!
    -We are working like DOGS to try to match what we were doing before. During the slower months, (post-january), it will be bad.
    -False Promises. Commission has risen, but not to the extant that they stated. They grossly over exaggerated their stories about other stores. Our top salesmen are at very best only matching what they did before (with a ton more energy required).
    -You can still get hit with returns. One big return gets you in to a big hole.
    -Everything stated above as a whole makes it very stressful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sell lots of smaller commission stuff and never get huge hits. Accessorize as much as you can. stack stack stack and rehash. Try to sell a monitor when people just want a PC, add the printer and a usb cable, add speakers, and PSC warranty because they need it. Blank DVDs so they can make backups of their new PC. Ask if they want furniture for their PC. They pay a lot. Maybe they need home networking support so they can use their old computer in their network and get a Wireless Install. Bottom line is that its easier to sell to a customer who is already buying from you. Make a list of things you know they will need. Everybody needs an external harddrive, flash drive, floppies, blank cd/dvds, cd/dvd holder/case, a better mouse or keyboard, speakers, laptop bag, ... the works. ask them if they want the works.
  23.  permalink
    Can someone explain to me what this schematic thing is? I know what a schematic is in the literal sense, but I get the feeling that Fry's definition is something else entirely. It's been a long time since I worked there, and I don't have any recollection of doing this. Maybe I'm just senile.
  24.  permalink
    "Sell lots of smaller commission stuff and never get huge hits. Accessorize as much as you can. stack stack stack and rehash. Try to sell a monitor when people just want a PC, add the printer and a usb cable, add speakers, and PSC warranty because they need it. Blank DVDs so they can make backups of their new PC. Ask if they want furniture for their PC. They pay a lot. Maybe they need home networking support so they can use their old computer in their network and get a Wireless Install. Bottom line is that its easier to sell to a customer who is already buying from you. Make a list of things you know they will need. Everybody needs an external harddrive, flash drive, floppies, blank cd/dvds, cd/dvd holder/case, a better mouse or keyboard, speakers, laptop bag, ... the works. ask them if they want the works."

ASDF, you're full of shit and haven't worked at Fry's in years. STFU cause you just don't know what you're talking about anymore or you're just a home office fag. I refer directly to your comment, "Maybe they need home networking support and get a wifi install." Who the FUCK outside home office thinks an efficient use of salesmen's time is selling wifi's? $10.00 for what is usually 30 minutes of extra work. Sell a desk?!?! FUCK YOU sell a desk. You won't find my ass more than 50 feet from the laptop isle, much less out in butt-fucking-egypt, office supplies. Sell a desk for a buck thirty, take 10 minutes for the customer to fret over which is the best desk for their room for a fucking buck thirty. FUCK YOU SELL A DESK!?!

DVDs mother fucker, fuck you and your 30 cent commission dvds. IF I can get them to buy the DVDs that are priced at TWICE what everything else is at. I'm sorry, but while I'll occasionally ass fuck over a customer, I'm not going to ask them to swallow the gravy after for 30 fucking cents. "EVERYBODY NEEDS A... FLOPPY..." God DAMN are you John fucking Gambit? What century do you think this is? WE DON'T EVEN SELL COMPUTERS WITH FUCKING FLOPPY DRIVES!! How long ago did you work at fry's?

"Sell lots of smaller commission stuff and never get huge hits" translates to "sell lots of smaller commission stuff and make a dime for every dollar that a laptop salesman makes. "

Fuck off this board ASDF, you're shit for brains and if you really don't work for home office you obviously haven't worked at fry's for long enough that your opinion is no longer relevant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010 edited
    You are not efficient. Make better use of your time by selling as much as you can to that customer. You guys are always complaining how there are NO customers. If you use your time and your customers time efficiently you could make a lot from just 4 customers a day. I can make $200 from just 4 Customers. Do it daily and do it right.
  25.  permalink
    Anyone? Can anyone explain this schematic thing to me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    its where you layout an isle so that products are presentable and in some kind of logical order.  

Schematics include these things:  

Stocking - stock the shelves, pegs and top stock.  
    Pricing - you maintain the pricing display, current prices, rebate signs, recommend value signs, and clearance signs.  
    Inventory - where you check stock and report to your supervisor when stock is running low.  
    Time - waste of time and you do not make commission doing this tedious task  

Bottom line is schematics is a waste of time and only your supervisor profits from it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUserDOS
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    you know what. I love frys, its the dirtiest place ive ever worked and o matter what as long as you can make money for the company they will let you do whatever you want.... sigh.... I use to have a higher respect for self decency and thought that hey if your a honest person and a good guy things will work out, but frys taught me otherwise, "the more you lie the more they buy" that should be Frys motto.....  
    integrity is dead.............:face-monkey:
  26.  permalink
    OK. I don't get how the term schematic applies to that, but sounds good.