Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009
    My system is telling me Vista SP2 is available. Should I upgrade? Anyone have experience with this upgrade yet?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Computer Service Dept. taking forever. What should I do?
    Service Department "PAY SUCKS"
    Service Adviser
    Very Poor Customer Service
    Fry's Service Question?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    Get Win7.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009 edited
    vista sp2 is the build that breaks your system so you have to upgrade to windows 7.  

Now that reminds me of windows me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    you are running Vista? I never went to Vista... still run XP on my Linux box.. ;) only for netflix...Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    No...SP2 does NOT "break your system". Microsoft did release a system readiness tool to address problems that camer up with certain programs (mainly antivirus or computers/laptops made by Sony). Download it first and run it - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0435684B-8D12-4028-9CB0-B2903257F1FD&displaylang=en  

As to Windows 7, it is a good OS. I liked Vista and especially the security enhancements in the Enterprise/Ultimate versions. Win7 takes these a step further.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrys_morman
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009 edited
    As Obiwan said, Vista SP2 does not break your system. There were specific computers from Sony and HP that had trouble with it but it was their own fault. To get off topic, XP SP3 broke file sharing until MS updated it a half a year later. It removed the LLTP to the point were you couldn't even install it as a protocol, so if you were file sharing before, you weren't anymore. And when you would try to install the XP update specifically for installing LLTP, windows would see that SP3 was newer then the update and wouldn't install it. To fix this, I had to manually extract the update through the command prompt to a folder, and then copy the contents to the correct windows directory locations, reboot, and finally it was back in business. I had to do this on my family's computers and many customers computers for about 4 months after SP3 was released. I also preferred Vista to XP, theres a lot it can do that XP can't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    go linuxLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Suzukiman: go linux

all the way. my linux systems are much faster. boot time is also awesome. same for memory utilization, disk caching, server performance, and developer ease of use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    As I tell a friend of mine that's a retired script kitty...I mean developer...that loves Linux, if it doesn't run Photoshop or Creative Suite, fagitaboutit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009
    ObiWan: As I tell a friend of mine that's a retired script kitty...I mean developer...that loves Linux, if it doesn't run Photoshop or Creative Suite, fagitaboutit...

Unless your a graphics designer... People run whats already on their system. Microsoft knows this and thats why Paint is the number #1 photo editing software. People can't afford extras like Photoshop. Plus websites like Photobucket or whatever let you modify images now for free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    i sent you a link to make photoshop run on linux  

asdf -- you should try dsl (damn small linux). on a 400 mhz p2 and 64mb ram it ran faster with a gui than any newer cent os or fedora core system (most were 2ghz+ some were multi processor servers with tons of ram) I have used. windows (any veresion) cant compete with even the slow 1 ghz suse server we had so I don't even want to compare it to DSL it would be like picking on special ed kids.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Suzukiman: i sent you a link to make photoshop run on linux  

asdf -- you should try dsl (damn small linux). on a 400 mhz p2 and 64mb ram it ran faster with a gui than any newer cent os or fedora core system (most were 2ghz+ some were multi processor servers with tons of ram) I have used. windows (any veresion) cant compete with even the slow 1 ghz suse server we had so I don't even want to compare it to DSL it would be like picking on special ed kids.

I like it. Its a pretty lite full desktop system linux distro. Even with that I have more ideas for optimization. We've developed a version of linux which runs on routers with processor speeds of 43 mhz. 4mb of ram, and 32mb of ram... you gotta have some ram lol. Its not a full linux desktop distro but it works. I think I can just through in sources of xorg, gnome, firefox and recompile it lol. Theres no monitor on our router and you can access xorg display over ethernet so that can work.  

Check out Intel's Moblin http://moblin.org. Intels version was designed for mobile devices with requirements less than 5 second booting from power on to full desktop.. and from cold boot. Theres an Ubuntu version with Moblin linux kernel but I haven't tried it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    nice i will have to do that. for routers you may want to look into linux on a floppy distros then add whatever modules you need to run the routers.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    for routers check out tomato, openwrt, and ddwrt. And of course check out their compatibility lists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    nice I will probably be setting up a router inside the next few months so I will look those up.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    Linksys has a new N router that succeeds the WRT54GL. Not sure how it fares, but it's DD-WRT compatible.