Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcura1
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    First post!  

So I just got out of selling cars at an Acura dealer. I got used to having a $500-$900 check every week for a couple months. I quit that job for a few reasons (that's another thread...) and have been searching for a new one for 2 months now. A buddy of mine works at Fry's as a delivery tech. He told me the computer sales guys make decent cash, so I went over and applied. I just went yesterday for my interview and was told it would be senseless to throw me directly into computer sales having no experience with the company. I didn't have too much of a problem with this other than I know my way around computers and people... Hence the reason I applied... But anyway... He tells me to start out in "Accessory Sales." I guess it's the pee-on job, or so it sounds. I also saw on a white sheet of paper he was holding "$8.00/hr" written on a blank line. I couldn't tell if that was going to be my pay or if it was what I had earned in the past. If someone could shed some light on a few things for me by 2pm today (yep, that's my third interview), that would be amazing.  

-Where exactly does an "Accessory Salesperson" stand in the food chain of Fry's?  
    -Is the pay REALLY $8/hr??  
    -Should I ask for more if so or switch to a different dept. before I start?  
    -Anything else I should know?  

Thanks guys. Hope to hear from ya'll soon.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's Forum is not affiliated with Fry's Electronics Inc.
    San Diego Store Robbed Minutes Ago
    Virtual jobs online
    who's sleeping with a co-worker?!
    BBB ratings - A and D?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    accessory sales is the bottom rung and it is 8.00 an hour either say "look I used to sell cars and was making about 1100 a week I didnt want all the stress and I know my way around a computer so either bring me on as a sales associate or supervisor or else I leave" If you really want the job make that sound less "I'm better than you" but you really don't want the job avg you will make 300 a week as a regular sales associate or you will be locked in at 300 a week as accessory sales. If you are a really good salesman and they give you really good hours you could potentially make 500-600 a week but your pulling alot of hours and probably more stress than you had at the dealership. Why did you quit the dealer?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Perhaps looking at a different employer might be in order. Fry's has a VERY POOR reputation as an employer. Not to sound curt, but...you gotta be pretty desperate to want to work at Fry's, or have absolutely no aspirations.
  2.  permalink
    I could see any individual trying to persue a job at Fry's because when you walk in the door it says Apply Now Salesman can make up to 20-30-40 an hour...what they dont say is that they are in commission and are paid minimum wage
  3.  permalink
    Fry's rarely hires people straight into sales. I have only seen it like twice in the 3 years years I was there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    GORILLA MAN: I could see any individual trying to persue a job at Fry's because when you walk in the door it says Apply Now Salesman can make up to 20-30-40 an hour...what they dont say is that they are in commission and are paid minimum wage

Kinda like their bait and switch banners they hang on the buildings - "Your best buys are always at Fry's" and "Welcome Hi Tech Professionals" (no self-respecting IT pro would set foot in Fry's)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcura1
    Are there any other depts that would be easy for me to get into and make at least $10/hr? I think I failed to mention that I'm only 19 years old and still in school. Making the big bucks isn't really important at the moment... Having a job, however, is. I need to pay off a $1200 laptop and about $200 on my credit card. Not anything big. I have 0% on the laptop until next Sept. Honestly I have applied at quite a few different places and this is the only place that has shed some light on me. I may just take the job and try to get an hourly sales job at Best Buy. I hear they are hourly. Well, I'm off to my 3rd and final interview! I will be checking up on this thread via my phone so keep posting if you guys have any other wisdom!! See ya on the inside.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    I would try for best buy. if you know a decent amount about working with computers try to get into the service department or become a delivery person.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    A bum with a cell phone can get a job as Accessory Sales. Theres no commission and all you get is minimum wage. You are a slave!  

You will make more working at Albertsons as a bagger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    best buy pays crap unless you're management.Collateral Damage
  4.  permalink
    work at the call center if ur in the bay area u make more then 10 An hour
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Why did you quit the dealership job?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    thats what I want to know you need to ask a different question that ones mine ........... yep I am going on 40 hours of no sleep and straight workLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  5.  permalink
    Acura1: Are there any other depts that would be easy for me to get into and make at least $10/hr?

Unless you're sales, no. Cafe is around $9/hr and so is customer service after you get certified. Customer Service 9 is the lowest you can make but the job bites. If you know how to fix computers maybe the service department will pay around 10. But being $1400 in debt is nothing. Most of America is in debt for more then 15 grand. And those are the ones that can manage their money well. Prioritize your life while you are still young and go back to school to get your degree. My friend did and she's at a job that pays $18/hr. And that's just as a temp. Once she is full time as a perminate employee she will get a raise and really good benefits. With this economy a degree will not hurt at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcura1
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    I'm still in school, don't worry. Just trying to pay off that little debt and make my car faster. lol:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Acura1: I'm still in school, don't worry. Just trying to pay off that little debt and make my car faster. lol:face-devil-grin:

drive slower you can save gas. use more gas and have less money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    im getting a 500 ci v8 installed in my samurai .... talk about saving gasLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Suzukiman: im getting a 500 ci v8 installed in my samurai .... talk about saving gas

You understand you'll only get 8 mpg?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    supercharged and bored 20 over using 91 octane .... with a 5:1 final gear ...... I will be lucky to get 5 mpgLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Sasquatch: Why did you quit the dealership job?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    Degree's hardly count for shit anymore. There's all kinds of people working at my store with degrees every which way out the starfish and... They work in my store... And they're real degrees too. Not like, landscaping or or paralegal or some certificate of gold stardom. Like actual fucking "I spent a lot of money and blood, sweat and tears on this shit" degrees.Collateral Damage
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    I can understand if they're having trouble finding something more befitting of their aptitude. If they've given up, shame on them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    Mostly you only need degrees nowadays if you are getting into things like chip design or really out there engineering and chemistry fields. things like computers go way too fast to warrant getting a degree unless you want to be a university teacher teaching a theory class. most fields these days completly change inside of just a semester so going a whole year means your 7/8ths of a year behind someone who learned on the job.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    who also now has real experience I might addLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    In computer science all they teach is theory now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    yepLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    that is all that is taughtLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    Computer science noobs will not be able to find a job with no experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    yep but the world is headed for meltdown on several levels I just hope it turns into a mad max type land that would be fun for a few days.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  6.  permalink
    The USA is corrupted thanks to Obama :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Were you born yesterday?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    asdf: Were you born yesterday?

he wasnt born at all.... if Gorilla Man doesn't want to show off his birth certificate, then he doesn't exist.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    lmaoLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  7.  permalink
    I live in a jungle
  8.  permalink
    Is a tree frog your best friend?
  9.  permalink
    I was going to say something about your mother but i have restrained myself from acting without thinking. So for a response, I will say No :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    "We should all demand Sarah Palin prove that she's a human and provide a birth certificate; her interview with Katie Couric and her rambling resignation speech fail the Turing test."
  10.  permalink
    Link please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    I want a link to a failed palin speech ... see if we didnt have obama we would have president palinLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  11.  permalink
    You are an idiot...We will be having President McCain not PALIN...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    no I guarantee the us is stupid enough to elect palin I mean come on they elected bush twice.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  12.  permalink
    she was running for Vice President. But yes the U.S.A. is stupid on some stuff. Either way I don't trust this government. It is so corrupted!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    GORILLA MAN: Either way I don't trust this government. It is so corrupted!

Try living in Iran or Venezuela...you'll appreciate just how good things are here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    ObiWan:
    GORILLA MAN: Either way I don't trust this government. It is so corrupted!

Try living in Iran or Venezuela...you'll appreciate just how good things are here.

heck, even the Philippines... if you want to talk about corrupt govtsHiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  13.  permalink
    I've been to Venezuela...it's not that bad. :) Not the mention the woman over there are very beautiful. So I am not complaining. As for the Philippines i would love to go one day. Iran will try to kill me because i will be wearing USA shirt saying "we are better than you". Plus i hate the smell of odor.
  14.  permalink
    There's a reason why so many people come here from the Philippines. And I do work with someone from Venezuela, she likes it better here. Through me off though. She is white and has blonde hair, but a very strong Venezuelan accent.
  15.  permalink
    You think people from central america or south america are suppose to be of a certain color? That's pretty ignorant. And that's just one person that like it over here better....the majority of them love their country and would love to stay there.