Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    1: Yeah, do you guys have that linskee router?  

2: I bought that linksystem router 6 years ago but now it's failed. I will never buy that brand again because it only lasted 6 years.  

2: I think I need a new hard drive. My computer says it's out of memory when I try to open up photoshop.  

3: Now is this the 2 trig or the 1 trig hard drive?  

4: Do you guys get "spiffs" on the stuff you write up?  

5: Yeah I need that stick of kenzington memory. How much of a discount can I get? I shop here alot.  

6: Indian: Is theese tha too jigga or tha four jigga card?  

7: Russian: Vwhat about zis mozzerboard?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    lolLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Nuts Off:  

A spiff is money you get from selling an item... It's like saying if HP wants more printers sold, they may pay you X amount of money when you sell one.... or is money Fry's pays you for selling a certain item.... "spiffs" is the correct term and is not incorrect..  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpiffHiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  1.  permalink
    Give Nuts Off a break. He does work at Fry's.
  2.  permalink
    Lol....What's da difference between CD-R and CD+R:face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    someone:
    Nuts Off:  

A spiff is money you get from selling an item... It's like saying if HP wants more printers sold, they may pay you X amount of money when you sell one.... or is money Fry's pays you for selling a certain item.... "spiffs" is the correct term and is not incorrect..  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiff

I should have clarified that that question is often asked when they are buying ad items.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    You tell them you don't work for free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    Favorite thing that I heard a Fry's Employee say - a customer asked why the maximum length of a SCSI cable was 10 feet. The fried response - "because it's SCSI"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpcghostII
    My favorite is "Do you have the bo say speaker?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Generally, most things that come out of a customer's mouth are irritating. Most people are stupid, and you tend to hear the same stupid stuff over and over and over again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Maybe it's that Fry's attracts stupid people...?
  3.  permalink
    HAHAHA....good one oBI
  4.  permalink
    Interesting Sasquatch... you hear the same things from dozens, hundreds, maybe thousands of customers that all come to the same section of the same electronics store, asking questions about the same products being sold there? They furthermore have the nerve to not know that much about the electronics in your department? When will these stupid people learn to figure it all out on their own or change it up and ask questions all those other customers who they never met, never did?

It's irritating to me to hear Fry's employees making incorrect/inaccurate (because they simply aren't good at their jobs), or misleading (because they're a little too good and are being shady) statments to consumers who are just trying to get some honest help. I especially get irritated when a fellow customer is told that they should buy the thicker (significantly more expnsive), HDMI or optical cable for better quality.

The real problem for us customers is that if we are somewhat knowledeable and actually ask a good or new question... the response we get is generally made up BS or "I'm not sure"... not that I'm surprised. You're probably wasting your time working retail at Fry's if you could answer the tougher technical questions. Then as Sasquatch points out, if the question is an easy one they've heard over and over, the irritated or "you're stupid" attitude is all too apparant. We can't really win.

Nuts Off,

Doc Brown said Jigga in Back to the Future. Don't knock the Indians.

Bisdies... it's actually not wrong (either)... from Wikipedia:

Pronunciation
    In English the initial g of giga is often pronounced /ɡ/ (a hard g as in giggle), but may also be pronounced /dʒ/ (a soft g as in its Greek root's meaning, giant).[3]

This latter pronunciation was formalized within the United States in the 1960s and 1980s with the issue by the US National Bureau of Standards of pronunciation guides for the metric prefixes.[4] A prominent example is found in the pronunciation of gigawatts in the 1985 movie Back to the Future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Customers can be irritating, but that doesn't mean I'm any less helpful when someone asks a question. What I think about a customer has no bearing on how I handle them. The other salesmen... I can't speak for them.  

Monster Cable is a ripoff and Back to the Future is a classic.
  5.  permalink
    When Bose is pronounced Bozz... or when the customer (Quite often, like 3 times today) have no idea how to approach the word Onkyo. Or when they say Sanyo and mean Samsung. Or Denon is like Dee-Non. Or instead of using the acronym L-E-D they just say 'led' TV. Or when they say HDM-One or HMDI AHAHAHA!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    SpcghostII: My favorite is "Do you have the bo say speaker?"

cause its mexican.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcura1
    I can't wait to start. I loved answered peoples' stupid questions at the dealership. Or if I knew a sale would fall through (most of the time because of credit issues), I would completely bs my whole pitch. Of course starting at Fry's making $8/hr as an "accessory salesman" is serious business, though, and I may take it more seriously... :face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    making $8/hr as an "accessory salesman" is serious busines ..... you mean isn't right?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Sasquatch: Customers can be irritating, but that doesn't mean I'm any less helpful when someone asks a question. What I think about a customer has no bearing on how I handle them. The other salesmen... I can't speak for them.  

Monster Cable is a ripoff and Back to the Future is a classic.

Customers can be irritating when they insist that they must have a cable for their camera, that they did not bring with them, and expect you to know exactly what cable they need when there are lots of different cameras that use different types of cables... Of course, I first show them the mini-b(i think) or just send them to the camera dept...Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    GB "Jee bee", trigabyte, linkskees, jigabyte, ubs port, refering to the hard drive as ram, misconception that ad pieces pay, misconception that they HAVE to have a quote, PNY = pony, sounding out EVGA "evguh" all kinds of silly sillyness!Collateral Damage
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    no pny is pwny as in they got pwned ... I hate pnyLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Bizz: GB "Jee bee", trigabyte, linkskees, jigabyte, ubs port, refering to the hard drive as ram, misconception that ad pieces pay, misconception that they HAVE to have a quote, PNY = pony, sounding out EVGA "evguh" all kinds of silly sillyness!

some ad pieces did in fact pay.. don't always assume that they never do.. :) I used to make a bit on those ad pieces that did... everyone else assumed they didn't pay so they stayed away from those customers.. where I was over there helping them out until word got out that it was still actually paying... :) but well... customers always assume that you are making big bucks off of them with many sales... it was sad sometimes when a $3000 laptop paid less than a $700 laptop... never made sense.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  6.  permalink
    I had a woman over the phone ask me a question about the "Land Skis" router she just bought. I told her that we didn't carry that brand, but it sounded familiar.  
    "Can you spell that for me, ma'am?"  
    "Sure, L-I-N-K-S-Y-S"  
    "Oh ok, that spells LINKSYS."  

It was a pretty good day.
  7.  permalink
    Another time, a customer standing at the memory wall asks me for some "Kensington Memory"  
    "We don't carry that brand sir."  
    "It says you've got it right here! *points to the wall*"  
    "Oh, can you read me the number on the bottom of the sticker?"  
    *rattles off number*  
    "You mean the Kingston memory?"  
    "No, I want Kensington" (Now he's upset)  
    "Sorry sir, that says Kingston. Did you want that?"  
    "NO!"  

Not such a great day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    lolLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    particleman: Another time, a customer standing at the memory wall asks me for some "Kensington Memory"  
    "We don't carry that brand sir."  
    "It says you've got it right here! *points to the wall*"  
    "Oh, can you read me the number on the bottom of the sticker?"  
    *rattles off number*  
    "You mean the Kingston memory?"  
    "No, I want Kensington" (Now he's upset)  
    "Sorry sir, that says Kingston. Did you want that?"  
    "NO!"  

Not such a great day.

you should have gave him a Kensington Mouse...Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjenseri
    You know what I've been there and done that... the best thing to do is smile all the way and say go to best buy...:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    Or just go to best buy and tell them you want an idot connect usb cable. And when they tell you they don't carry that brand freak out and say Fry's does. They like that.  

We had a customer that was genuinely convinced we sell dell and thought we just didn't want to sell HIM one all because a few of our POS monitors are dell.Collateral Damage
  8.  permalink
    Mispronunciations:
    "Fry" = Fry's
    "Link-ski" = Linksys
    "Gigabit" = Gigabyte (brand)
    "Kensington" = Kingston
    "Scan Disk" = Sandisk
    "Scan Disk" = SD (Secure Digital)
    "Pony" = PNY
    "Compact" = Compaq
    "UBS" = USB
    "Coahd" = cord/card
    "Rooter" (I realize this isn't incorrect, but it just sounds stupid) = router

Questions:
    "Is this the electronics dept?"
    "Where are your cables?"
    "Where are your plugs?"
    "Do you work here?" (my name badge on and facing them)
    "Do you work here?" (while clearly restocking shelves or working on a schematic)

Rebuttals:
    "I'm not looking for software!" (when trying to refer them to the software dept for a movie/game/etc)
    "This isn't the computer dept?" (when pointing them back there from components)
    "No, I don't need the screen or the keyboard and mouse." (once I've realized that what they need is a computer, and not a modem or hard drive, which they have asked for)
    "But my friend told me he got it here!" (after I am 100% certain we do not carry the item they asked for)
    "Alright well I guess I'm going to Best Buy!" (disappointed about something ridiculous)
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    My hard drive won't go on the internet, my friend said to get a Link-see, its what he clicks on to go on the internet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    "I can't connect to the internet anymore..... The Big E disappeared from my desktop.."Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    So...it's ok to make disparaging remarks about customers, but it's not ok to point out some of the flaws of Fry's in general and some of the tendencies and silly claims in particular that some Fry's employees make. Right........
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    exactly rightLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    ObiWan: So...it's ok to make disparaging remarks about customers, but it's not ok to point out some of the flaws of Fry's in general and some of the tendencies and silly claims in particular that some Fry's employees make. Right........

How do you watch videos in Windows Media Player?  

-other Fry's associate..Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  9.  permalink
    When I worked at Fry's, it was annoying when customers use to threaten me when they were angry. The would tell me that they will no longer shop at Fry's. It would bother Randy Fry, but not me since I still got paid at the time. I had a customer who told me that all the Fry's workers are a bunch of A-holes (he didn't use the word A-hole) and that he was never shopping at Fry's again. The jerk came back the following week!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009
    Guest: When I worked at Fry's, it was annoying when customers use to threaten me when they were angry. The would tell me that they will no longer shop at Fry's. It would bother Randy Fry, but not me since I still got paid at the time. I had a customer who told me that all the Fry's workers are a bunch of A-holes (he didn't use the word A-hole) and that he was never shopping at Fry's again. The jerk came back the following week!

you call "I'm not shopping here anymore" a THREAT??? Seriously???  

Try working at a place that sells alcohol.. :P I've been physically threatened because I wouldn't sell this guy a 12 pack of beer because "his" ID was 3.5 years expired...Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009
    when they say they're no longer shopping here i tell them i'm sorry they feel that way.  

heard this one again the other day: levino - lenovo  

and when they yell at you, just point out their volume will not help their situation and give them the blank 'i could give a shit less' look. they like that.  

i over heard a salesman the other day-- woman shopping for a desk top "what's on sale?" salesman "they're all on sale" woman "i know but i mean what's for sale" shady salesman "they're all on sale, they're on floor sale"Collateral Damage
  10.  permalink
    How about when customers don't understand the fact that the stuff you need to build a computer is NOT in the computer department apart from the video cards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    The best salesmen treated anything that they talked about as if it were on sale. Everything other than that was not. Also the best salesmen told their customer that they have the same product at home and they purchased the warranty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    asdf: The best salesmen treated anything that they talked about as if it were on sale. Everything other than that was not. Also the best salesmen told their customer that they have the same product at home and they purchased the warranty.

Otherwise, known as lying... being deceptive.. selling your soul for $$$Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    who called me?
    someone:
    asdf: The best salesmen treated anything that they talked about as if it were on sale. Everything other than that was not. Also the best salesmen told their customer that they have the same product at home and they purchased the warranty.

Otherwise, known as lying... being deceptive.. selling your soul for $$$

who called me?Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  11.  permalink
    Lol...Lying to the customers is key when working at Fry's...If you don't do that...It will be like teaching a Middle Eastern to take bath's lol I know that was a tad bit racist..but I don't care this is just a forum where i could legally say whatever the hell i want :).:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Give us some juicy info
  12.  permalink
    About?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    about things that happen where you work Frys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    GORILLA MAN: Lol...Lying to the customers is key when working at Fry's...If you don't do that...It will be like teaching a Middle Eastern to take bath's lol I know that was a tad bit racist..but I don't care this is just a forum where i could legally say whatever the hell i want :).:face-devil-grin:

You can say whatever you want, but not everything would be legal.
  13.  permalink
    Like if i mention the word Terrorist,Middle Eastern,Bomb?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    gorilla-- you forgot the word "president". suits at your door yet Neo?  

my dm got every laptop for his son last year for Christmas and of course purchased the warranty.Collateral Damage
  14.  permalink
    Did he buy it from fry's? If so his son is going to return the majority of the laptops lol
    •  
      CommentAuthoralyshah
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009
    Some of my favorites:  

1) "Do you have the Nintendo?" (um, no, they haven't made one of those in almost twenty years)  
    2) "Where are your video games?" (when standing in an aisle of X-Box 360 games)  
    3) "Where did you move the computers to?" (when there is no physical way short of redesigning the entire store to move a whole department)  
    4) "Where is your electronics department?" (what does it say on my badge? Are you serious?)  
    5) "What's the price on this?" (there's a tag on it for a reason, you know)  
    6) "Is everything on this shelf that price?" (when there's a sign up on a sale item)  
    7) "Do you sell the Will?" (they mean the Wii, but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, and let them figure it out)  
    8) "Do you have (insert licensed character game title here) for the PC?" (Mario is owned by Nintendo. So is Pokemon. Deal with it.)  
    9) "What does OEM mean?" (if you don't know what OEM stands for, that's one thing, but if you don't know what system builder software is, you shouldn't be buying it.)  
    10) "Do you sell AOL disks?" (um, no, and no one else "sells" them either)  
    11) "I'm looking for a converter to go from (x) to (y). Where can I find it?" (whatever it is, probably doesn't exist)  
    12) "What comes with this?" (please, just read the damn box.)  
    13) "Will my old stuff work with this?" (not if it's really old, no. You can't expect a Windows 3.1 program to work in Windows 7, or get an RF adapter for your game system's HDMI port, I'm sorry)  
    14) "I saw this in the ad three weeks ago. Is it still on sale?" (what store runs a month-long ad?)  
    15) "Do you sell (insert outdated media format) here?" (no, we don't sell HD-DVD, A-Track, pre-recorded VHS tapes, or cassett tapes at Fry's anymore. Time to upgrade)  

And my personal favorite:  

"Do you work here?"  

This one makes me laugh because people ask me that when I come in, on a day off, in street clothes, and shop. It's like once you're an employee of Fry's, you can't escape. They also ask anyone dressed professionally for help, which is awesome when they piss off one of their fellow customers by assuming he's an employee. And I have had customers who bypass me completely, even when I make eye contact, smile, nod politely and ask if they need help, just so they can ask the guy diligently setting a schematic behind me about something from another department. Customers are more often than not the only source of joy in my work day, intentional or otherwise.The only thing worse than ignorance is stupidity.