Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    To wom it may concern,  
    On November 29, 2009 I purchased a 58 inch Samsung Plasma television from the Fry's in Burbank, California. One week later, the television was delivered to my house. When the delivery man brought it in, I did not have an HD box to connect to the television set. The delivery man hooked it up and turned it on for a minute. At that time, I did not examine the television with a microscope because I trusted that Fry's was a reputable buisiness that sold good products. The week the television was delivered was the week of finals at my school and I had two big papers due and a final to study for on the following Thursday, so I did not watch television at all. Less than two days after the television was delivered I returned home from school and decided to watch the television. While watching the television on an HD channel, I noticed that there was a small crack under the screen on the upper right hand-side, THERE WAS NO EXTERIOR DAMAGE TO THE  
    TELEVISION. I called Fry's right away and they  
    told me that I would have to wait to call the manager of the store the following morning. Right away, I sent an e-mail to this same e-mail address notifying customer relations of my problem.  
    I called the store the following morning and was told that the delivery man would come by in another two days with a replacement set. When he arrived at my house two days later, he and another store employee came in to my house to look at the television. Neither of the employees could see the crack until it was pointed out to them, which one of the employees later admitted to Ceasar, the district manager, while he was on the phone in front of me. The delivery man hung up the phone and told me that there was nothing that they could do for me, they would not replace the television. I asked the delivery man to call Ceasar, the district manager, back so I could speak to him. Ceasar told me that he would send a man from Samsung over to look at it. A few days later, the man from Samsung came and told me that it was physical damage and that there was nothing he could do for me. He told me that if the damage truly did not happen at my house, then the  
    damage must have occurred during the shipping or delivery of the television.  
    For three days I tried to get Ceasar back on the phone. When I finally did, he told me that he could do nothing for me. I told him that I would post a complaint with the Better Buisiness Bureau. He told me to go right ahead. I did just that, and Ceasar even responded to the complaint via e-mail and posted it in the Better Buisiness Bureau response section. I have the full complaint and response passages and I would like for you to read them.  
    Complaint ID: 98477688  
    Complaint Classification:  
    Complaint Description - Posted 12/15/2009 2:13:46 PM  

On 12/08/08 A TV I purchased from Fry's was delivered to me. ITwo days after delivery, I noticed a small crack in the screen, under the protective glass screen. There was no external damage to the TV. I called Fry's 2 days later when I noticed the problem. They sent delivery guy and he said they could do nothing for me. They said I would have to deal with Samsung. The crack is not noticeable from 1 foot away. Screen needs to be illuminated with a bright background from more than 5 feet away to be noticed. I did not watch the TV for the 2 days it was here because I am a graduate student with 2 children and it is finals week. I am extremely upset because I know 100% for sure that the damage did not occur here. I feel as if there is nothing that I can do, because I did not take the time to examine the TV with a microscope when they drooped it off. Being that I have 2 small children, and I and my wife both attend college and work, I have no time to fight  
    them on this. I am going to try to get the $479 back that I spent on a 4 year warranty. The district manager Ceasar something is not returning my calls now. I reported this right when I discovered it, less than 2 days later. Please help me if you can. Unfortunately, I payed cash for the TV so now I am left with few options. I know the TV was not damaged here, so I am prepared to do whatever it takes to try to fight this. It is not fair. I spent over $2600 dollars of my hard-earned money on this and I do not want to get ripped off  

Complaint Summary  

Plasma TV delivered with a crack in the screen.  
    Resolution Sought  

I want what I payed for, a 58 inch Plasma TV with no damage to it.  

Additional Information  
    Date Problem First Occurred:  
    12/6/2009  
    Product or Service: Samsung TV delivered with a small crack in the screen.  
    Model Name or Number: Samsung PN58B650  
    Date Purchased: 11/29/2009  
    Order Number: 17790271  
    Amount In Dispute: $0.00  

Company's Response  
    Company's Initial Response - Posted 01/06/2010  
    I explained to the customer that we would not be able to exchange the unit. Customer asked if he could get a chash refund on his PSC. I explained to the customer that we would go ahead and give him a full cas refund for his PSC. I also explained to him that I would contact the SM/ASM and the DM to inform him that we would be doing this for him.  
    Initial Response Summary  
    I explained to the customer that we would go ahead and give him a full cas refund for his PSC.  

Consumer's Rebuttal  
    Consumer's Rebuttal - Posted 01/07/2010  
    It took me over 3 days to get the manager in charge back on the phone. I knew I would get the shaft on this one, so I got my money back for the 4 year warranty. Fry's was not cooperative at all, even though their own employee admitted he could not find the crack until it was pointed out to him. The bottom-line is that Fry's delivered a TV with a crack in the screen and would nothing about it. The burned me for money that it took me a long time to earn. I am an honest person, and I brought the problem to their attention in a timely manner, yet I still got burned. I really do not understand how Fry's can get away with what they did. I have no recourse because I am a full-time student with two young children. I do not have the time or resources to pursue this matter. I would love to see Fry's get what they have coming to them in court. I am completely disatisfied with my whole shopping experience at Fry's. I will never shop there again. If anybody at the  
    Better Buisiness Bureau wishes to pursue this or has any suggestions for me, then I would welcome the assistance. Please help, I am a victim of unfair business practices perpetrated by a business with no sense of right or wrong. HELP!  

Company's Final Response  
    Company's Final Response - Posted 01/07/2010  
    If Mr. Johnston wants to take this to our legal dept. he can put his request in writting and fax it to 408-487-4747 attention Legal dept. I will have Mr. Perez contact Mr. Johnston regarding refunding him is full amount of this PSC. Since Mr. Johnston did not state he wanted the refund as was offered to him by Mr. Perez.  

I do not understand how you can have a district manager working for you who does not tell the truth. To begin with, I was told that nothing could be done for me. I asked for an exchange or refund and was denied either opportunity, Never once was I told that I could get a full refund. It is untrue that I was ever told that by anyone. Secondly, in the final response to the complaint, Ceasar said that Mr. Perez would get in touch with me to refund me the full amount of the purchase. Again, this is not true because nobody has tried to contact me regarding such a matter. I would like you to know that Ceasar, your district manager, does not tell the truth. I am an honest person who goes to school and has two small children. I have enough to worry about rather than trying to fight for what I payed for, that being a 58 inch plasma television with no damage to it. I notified your company about the problem in a timely manner, yet I still got burned. I am just  
    one person and I know that I do not matter very much to a company as big as Fry's, but what happened, regarding my purchase at Fry's, was not fair. I worked part-time and I saved that money for a long time. I worked hard for the money that I used, over two thousand dollars, to purchase the television. I am beside myself that your district manager can tell lies about what happened and what was offered to me during the course of our conversations. Are you really that dishonest of a buisiness that you would stoop to a level that low? I was going to let this matter drop, but when I saw his final response that contained the lies, I had to continue to pursue this matter. Now, I feel like I am fighting for the customers who have gotten burned, and who will continue to get burned by big buisinesses. How can he perpetrait such an injustice to the American consumer and get away with it?  
    I am willing to remove the complaint which I filed with the Better Buisiness Bureau and stop pursuing this matter if Fry's does one of two things. I would be satisfied if Fry's either gave me a full refund for my purchase, which Ceasar said he would do in his response to the Better Buisiness Bureau anyways, or better yet, I would like my television replaced with a new one that has no damage to it. I just want what I originally paid for from Fry's, no more, no less. It is not fair that I have had to expend so much energy and spend so much time fighting for something that I should have gotten in the first place. The television was delivered to me in that condition, it was not my fault, yet I am having to go through such trouble to get what I rightfully paid for and deserve. It is not right.  
    If anything, I just wanted for someone to see what type of person you have in charge of some of your stores. It is not right that he can tell such untruths and get away with it.  
    It has been a while since the television was delivered to me, and we had a rain spell that completely soaked the box. I kept it outside because it was so big. It got wet and I had to throw it out. I had the box on the days that Fry's and Samsung came to supposedly replace the television. I do not have it now. However, I do have the television in the exact same condition as the day I purchased it.  
    I would like to know if you are going to do what Ceasar said he would do in the Better Buisiness Bureau response, give a full refund for the purchase. As I said earlier, I would be more satisfied with getting what I paid for, a new 58 inch Samsung plasma televion (PN58B650) with no damage to it. Thank you for your time. I will be awaiting your response.  
    Sincerely,  
    David Johnston
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Purchase on 11/29/09
    Purchased an open box/reduced price item, discovered a component was missing when i got home
    Black Friday Purchases- what did you buy?
    Made a Purchase at Fry's.com and my Bank Reported Unusual Activity
    If You wish to Purchase this, the following apply...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    Good luck proving the crack wasn't there at time of delivery... which is why you should have inspected it AT the time of delivery.. anyone can damage a tv within 2 days... heck they can damage it after the delivery drops it off... good luck proving that. i'm just saying.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Just keep on fighting.  

You may get a nice settlement for just attempting a small claims lawsuit. It costs their lawyers more to do the lawsuit than it is to refund you or replace the TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    asdf: Just keep on fighting.  

You may get a nice settlement for just attempting a small claims lawsuit. It costs their lawyers more to do the lawsuit than it is to refund you or replace the TV.

personally I hope he gets nothing.... I don't take lightly to people who come onto a message board and spam the same message in twenty million threads..Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    I just wanted for people to know what type of business Fry's does. If nothing is done about my situation, then I am hoping to lose them at least ten times the amount that they cost me. I will do it by telling anyone who will listen. And to the last person that posted, I did not spam them in. I went into each person's wall and posted them. I do not know if any of you have ever worked really hard for something, only to get burned. I realize that 2 days is a long time, but I am an honest person. The damage did not occur here. I am a full time student who also works and I was not able to use the television for two days because it was finals week. My father , who is seventy-two, and I were the only ones here, so I know that neither of did anything to it. It is just unfair that Fry's can get away with it. Then, to top it off, the district manager told two lies in his rebuttal to the complaint that I made with the Better Business Bureau. Anyways, thanks for all of your comments. I learned two important lessons from this. First, always check over anything you buy with a fine-toothed comb. Second, never pay cash. I will continue to post the whole complaint that I filed with the BBB everywhere that I can, in hopes that it costs Fry's business. Just remember, BOYCOTT FRY'S!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    here:  
    http://frysforum.com/discussion/1680/how-to-best-file-a-complaint-about-store-management/#Item_44  

here:  
    http://frysforum.com/discussion/820/message-to-frys-home-office/#Item_2  

here in an unrelated topic 2 together:  
    http://frysforum.com/discussion/1786/i-am-a-new-employee-of-frys-modern-day-slave/#Item_14  

and of course in its own thread..  

and now here:  
    http://frysforum.com/discussion/936/2/tv-return-policy-on-fryscom/#Item_5  

I would call that spamming... and it's not on people's walls.. oh wait you are spamming it on people's walls too.. get a life spammer and i hope you lose your money on that tv purchase.. and they say fry's employees are stupid...you did spam them in... and you'd end up in the same situation with most retailers... that is why you should have checked it AT delivery...  

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spamHiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    Sorry, I thought that you were all Fry's employees or management. I might lose the money, but Fry's will lose at least ten times that amount. Trust me. I have posted my BBB complaint all over the place, and will continue to do so. Anyways, keep your negative comments to yourself. KARMA will bite you in the ass if you are not careful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    DavidJ: Sorry, I thought that you were all Fry's employees or management. I might lose the money, but Fry's will lose at least ten times that amount. Trust me. I have posted my BBB complaint all over the place, and will continue to do so. Anyways, keep your negative comments to yourself. KARMA will bite you in the ass if you are not careful.

perhaps you should keep your spam to yourself...  

and i just have to laugh when people think their word and a complaint to the BBB is going to cause businesses ten times their money.  

But then again.. I might be more apt to be on your side if you didnt spam this all over this board including on everyone's wall....  

but well  

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spamHiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    Why should I care whose side you are on. And I am sure that some of the people who read the complaint will think twice before shopping at Fry's. The BBB might be good for nothing, but my complaint is filed with them, meaning it is there for everyone to read. As for their losing business. I am determined to follow through with a promise that I made to Cesar, the district manager, that promise being to lose them at least ten times what they cost me if they did not rectify the problem. Well, my BBB complaint will be read. I made fliers and hung them all over my university, as well as left them on cars in several shopping areas and neighborhoods that are adjacent to Burbank. I will lose them business, guaranteed. Again, if you have nothing positive to say then keep your trap shut. I did not know that what I did was spamming. I am sorry if I offended anybody by doing it. Anyways, BOYCOTT FRY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2.  permalink
    This guy obviously has never seen an item go out for Delivery at Fry's :]

It is like a 30 minute process per item cause the Delivery driver and LP have to check out the TV write down serial #'s unbox and box it all back up, they do not let an item leave even with the smallest scratch on it they will either replace it if the item is in stock or call the customer to let them know if they are out of stock and they can deliver the item if the customer still wants it or wait for a new one to come in stock. Most people still take the item especially on large appliances due to the dmg never being visable like on the back where the material on them is just horrible and it is typicall a very small dent
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    If you've ever seen how Fry's employees handle their merchandise, it's not surprising that this sort of stuff happens. They make the American Tourister gorilla (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE) look good. There's a reason that I would never purchase anything of value from Fry's. They're rough with their merchandise, and then tend to find ways to weasel out of responsibility.  

FWIW, the BBB cand be VERY effective in getting results. Additionally, if you purchased this with a credit card, contact them to see what sort of assistance they can provide.  

This site, and Steve Thomas' old site had numerous posts with similar situations. And yet the irony is people keep going back and buying crap from them. Go figure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    The box was never opened, so they did not check the television. They opened it here. The damage did not occur here! So, where did it come from? Was it an act of God? Did it magically appear? Your explanation of the Fry's delivery process is completely insufficient, because they did deliver a TV with damage. I know because it happened to me!
  3.  permalink
    If it is a Samsung box they are VERY easy to box back up due to all you have to do is remove those 4 little black tabs and pick up the box and peel off the protective cover, they may have missed the damage and you may have accidently damaged it there is no telling what happend its he says she says at this point. Your big issue is you took to long to make a complaint about it you should have inspected it and checked it out the day you got it or while the delivery guys were there, any concealed damage issue we deal with in the store either delivery or carryout is dealt with the same day cause most people hook up there tv and watch it the very second it arrives whether they have finals or work or whatever they needed to do. Any damage claim after the first day 90% of the time it is the customers fault I have seen people 2-3 days after there tv was purchased and they bring it back in w/ a huge crack on the frame where they dropped it while trying to mount it on the wall or put it on a tv stand it happens and any retailer out there will not accept that return its not there fault the tv was damaged. if the tv works just be happy it sounds like the damage isnt very noticable anyways
  4.  permalink
    Technically it's your fault because you and the delivery guy didn't check the TV after unboxing and setting it up. If i just spent 3 grand I would have taken more effort and pride in checking things out instead of just assuming things are ok. Because you know what happens when you ASSUME.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    Obviously you did not read the complaint to BBB. You can try to explain it away with your nonsense, but the fact of the matter is that it happened to me, so I know exactly what happened. Please read the complaint before you post anything else, because it makes you and your comments look unintelligent. "Be happy"? You must work for Fry's. The fact of the matter is that I should not have to go through all of this BS. I am 100% sure that the damage was not caused here, and I notified the store and customer relations as soon as I noticed it, yet I still got burned. As we all know, life is not always fair. I have learned from my past mistakes. What about the lies that the DM posted in his rebuttals? He said they offered me a full refund and that he would have someone get in touch with me for a full refund. Neither of those things ever happened. Big business telling lies to try not to look so bad and cover its ass. Wouldnt' you say? What about the lies. Is that fair? I think not!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    He turned it on and it looked ok. But the crack is in upper right corner where the black bars hid it. I was watching my two young children the day it was delivered. Have you ever tried to watch a one year old and a three year old when something was being delivered to your house. And, with your line of reasoning, if a TV is delivered to an old woman who has difficulty seeing and she does not notice the crack until it is brought to her attention by a houseguest 3 days later, it is her fault and she should not get a new tv or a refund? Sounds pretty unfair to me. I understand that 2 days is a long time, but the fact of the matter is that I reported it as soon as I noticed it. The delivery guy and Samsung rep could not see it from less than a foot awaywhen they came to see the tv. I had to point it out to both of them. Fair? I think not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    Nobody can explain away the DM of the Burbank store posting lies in the rebuttal section of the BBB complaint. Just remember, this is the type of company you are working for. Is it okay to post lies about what was said and what really happened? Isn't that unethical and unfair? Well, good luck working for a company that believes it is okay to lie. I faxed Randy Fry the BBB complaint so he could see what type of person he has working as a DM for his stores. Why would somebody that high up in the company lie about it? Is it really okay to lie about what happened and what was said?
    •  
      CommentAuthorUserDOS
    BEcause thats how he became DM.. by not backing off.. I know cesar and hes no joke. If he doesnt wanna help you he wont. Hes a very strict rigid man and goes by the book. Unfortunately the books are against you until you go the right course of action. contact randy contact BBB and contact maybe a lawyer for small claims. Thats all you can do. sorry:face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    Oh, i got it, he bacame a DM by lying. Now I understand, unethical and unfair business practices!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    David - actually UserDOS's recommendation to file a claim in small claims court is a good idea. As I recall, the filing cost is something like $35. And, I can tell you from past D&B reports, Fry's rarely ever wins in small claims court. If you have your facts and documentation, you have a great chance of prevailing.  

That being said, I do recall problems with Fry's paying small claims judgements when they lost, but that's another story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    I will look into filing a claim with small claims court tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Sorry that I posted the BBB complaint so much, but I was just frustrated thinking that he could get away with being dishonest about what hadtruly transpired. At least more people are finding out about my experience shopping with Fry's, and that is one of my main goals now, cautioning other consumers and letting them know to be extremely weary of shopping at Fry's. As I have stated all along, I am an honest person who has a family. I would never try to intentionaly deceive anybody for any reason. Everything that I stated in my BBB complaint and on this site actually transpired. That is why I will try my hardest to try to lose Fry's as much business as possible. I was treated unfairly and I feel like a real sucker. Again, thank you all for your time and suggestions.
  5.  permalink
    anyone who repetively says they are a honest person with a family in almost every response i would say the odd of them being a honest person are VERY SLIM
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    Believe what you want. It does not matter what you think. I know the truth. I would not exert this much energy if I was not right. The facts are the facts. First, Fry's delivered damaged merchandise. Next, the DM, Cesar, outright lied about what transpired. Anybody with half a brain can figure the rest out. Good luck working for a company that allows its employees to act unethically and have no integrity. And we wonder why our economy is so bad. What is our country coming to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfryguy
    Hi, I skimmed through this so if it was mentioned, I apologize. It seems to me there's a misunderstanding of the what the DM said. When he was referring to "refunding him is full amount of this PSC" he was not talking about refunding the purchase. PSC stands for Performance Service Contract, which you were refunded from when you stated: "I got my money back for the 4 year warranty." I did not see anywhere that anyone from Fry's stated they would refund the purchase. I hope that clears up that part, even though I'm sure you're still unhappy with the situation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    Unless someone worked for Fry's, they would not know that PSC stood for Performance Service Contract. My mistake, I was wrong about that one. The fact still remains that a PN58B650 TV was delivered to me damaged, and I am mad. I will continue to distribute my flyers, which I have done at CSULB and will do at CSULA, CSUN, Pasadenat City College, Glendale Community College, and several mall parking areas. Afterall, I have already printed up 15,000 of them. LiKe I said, if I can lose Fry's at least ten times what they cost me, only then will I be truly satisfied. What happened to me was not fair and I want other consumers to be forewarned about the potential risks that they run by shopping at Fry's. As I stated earlier, all that I want is what I payed for, an undamaged TV, if they can not provide that, then a full cash refund for my purchase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavidJ
    I want to thank some of you for your suggestions. I highly doubt that any of you have ever experienced what I went through purchasing a new TV from Fry's. It disrupted my studies as well as my llife. I am so disappointed in the events that transpired. If anything, I learned valuable lessons about purchasing merchandise as a consumer. Anyone who knows me would tell you that I am the type of person who does what he says and does it full-throtle. Obviously, Fry's electonics does not value the consumer, they have began to take them for granted. I am sure that it is obvious to anyone who read my BBB compaint and knows the facts about what happened realizes that I am telling the truth. My only recourse is to do exactly what I said and distribute every one of my flyers that I already printed up, and after doing so, if I am still mad and dwelling on my misfortunes due to shopping at Fry's, then I will print up more and distribute all of them all over as well. Like I stated to Cesar, I will make sure to lose Fry's as much business as I can. I am determined to do it! I am not asking for more than I paid for, I just want exactly what I paid for. You decide. I will not post on here again, but you can rest assured that I will post my BBB complaint against Fry's Electronics anywhere and everywhere I am able to do so. I will warn consumers of the potential risks they could run by shopping at Fry's. KARMA is real.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Have fun spamming the castle...Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  6.  permalink
    Thanks for handing out those flyers to 15,000 people, I know what my reaction would be if I saw a flyer on my car about someone complaining I would either laugh at it saying to myself this is one crazy motherfucker or pick it up and throw it on the ground immediately. All your doing is giving free advertising for Fry's you are not hurting them your are actually helping them lol, people are just gonna think your one of those people that are just really stupid and crazy and shop there anyways
  7.  permalink
    Listen, I understand your complaint, but you must look at it from Fry's point of view. If they returned every item that a customer said "it was like that when I got it" then they would not be in business anymore. In fact, that is why they had you sign something that specifically stated "I acknowledge this item is in brand new condition". That signature means, "I checked it and its not cracked". So, even though there is a crack in the screen and you say you got it that way, you have to understand why Fry's isn't taking it back.

What a previous poster said about the process of taking a t.v. out is somewhat correct. We do open every t.v. before it goes out of the store. The loss prevention team opens it for several reasons, one of which is to look for damage. That being said, the small crack could easily have been overlooked.

The other problem here, and no one seems to have mentioned this, is that you have mentioned several times that you have kids. You even said "Have you ever tried watching a one year old and a three year old when something is being delivered." This means that you might have some difficulties controlling your kids at times (as we all do). So to me, unless you were watching your kids or your television for every second since it had been delivered (which you weren't because you were studying) then you can't say that your kid didn't accidentally do that. I have a three year old and he threw a marble at my brand new tv and did the same thing. With a three year old, there is a very good possibility they damaged it, and a very good possibility they aren't telling you the truth when they say they didn't damage it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010 edited
    For all we know your son threw the Wiimote at the TV and broke it. This happens all the time and we tell people all the time its not covered by the PSC or manufacturer warranty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskor
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    @guest, can you tell me more about the "The loss prevention team "? I had the same thing happen to me, only it I brought it home myself.  

I didn't see them open the box. Do they usually check it in the back?  

Also, mine was completely wrapped in foam padding. Couldn't see the damage until it was partially un-wrapped.  

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7717
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    skor,

If you took the tv with you the loss prevention team and the people that carried it out do not have to inspect it without you asking them to or even the sales people or cashier that is going to help you load it up. How did you load it up? did you lay it down? did you stand it up? what size tv/brand and car did you load it into alot of people do not realize that if you load a tv on its side it is more likely to have physical damage if you hit any bumps in the road and take off or stop real fast can shake it up make it bounce up and crack the panel internally I have seen it happen many times. Only if the item is being delivered they inspect the item to make sure there is no physical damage before they drive 20-30 minutes to someonones house just to find out they wasted there time delivering a damaged item
    •  
      CommentAuthorskor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010 edited
    2 employees loaded into my 2010 Toyota mini-van. They were pretty careful with it and loaded it standing upright. They mentioned that it shouldn't be laid down EVER!! We were extremely careful with it the whole way home and into my livingroom. In my opinion, it's pretty obvious that the damage couldn't have been caused while still inside the box.  

When I took it back, I asked the Assistant store manager if I should have asked them to open the box before we left the store. He said "No, this almost never happens". That's when my BS detector started going off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010
    so whats the plan now? its broke now return it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010
    Tried to take it back but they say they won't take it because it's damaged. Can't even get the local store to return my calls. Can't see what else to do besides taking it up to the District Manager or Home office.  

Any other suggestions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010
    If you paid for it by credit card, contact your credit card company and advise them of the situation. They can assist by withholding payment to Flies, and some will even contact them for you to help resolve the situation. Next step would be to file a claim in small claims court. Fry's doesn't have a good track record in small claims court.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010
    Thanks. I did try the credit card company, but they said it came down to a dispute over the Merchant's return policy and they wouldn't get involved. I'll work my way up the corporate ladder and see if that works. Hate to have to go to court, but I guess if it comes to that, I'll do what I have to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcura1
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    I bought a 32" LG tv a little over a month ago (using AP of course :face-angel: ) and inspected it thoroughly before I walked out the door. I work for the store, and yes, I have seen individuals handle product pretty darn intensely, but not so much computers or TVs. Whenever we sell a TV, one of the accessory sales guys from dept 5 waits up at the exit and asks every customer if they'd like to open the box to inspect it. That way any problems can be detected. Same goes for this other guy with 70% of the posts in this thread. I have a buddy who is a delivery tech and he and the customer inspect the product after opening it. It is your own fault for not taking the time to inspect it. I completely understand why you are upset and I would definitely be doing the same thing in your situation, but deep down you have to accept that the fault is more on your side than fry's when it comes to the return issue. Like asdf said, they can't accept a return on every TV that comes it with physical damage when it "was like that when I bought it"  

Bottom line, keep fighting and it should pay off. But let this be a lesson to start paying better attention to the little things when spending four figures on an electronic :face-smile:
  8.  permalink
    I totally agree with this person. frys doesnt seem to really care about customers. I have already placed an order for tv online and after reading this, seriously, my fingers are crossed! Had I read this before, I would have looked else where!