Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    Ok so I made a not so honest mistake and took something from my job. About two weeks went by and all of a sudden I got called into the managers office to talk to lp and one of my managers was sitting in as a witness. He explained what he does for the company and that when something gets placed on his desk that he usually has all the pieces to the puzzle. He asked me a whole bunch of questions:face-smile: about everything that I could have possible done wrong and then he eventually asked my about the product I took. I admitted to nothing of course and the interview eventually ended after a few questions about why I think theft happens. Now I know the camera angle where the product was taken from is non viewable.. My question is if they knew I did something wrong or had solid evidence would I still be working there or would they wait for any reason to fire me
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    Cunningrodent: Ok so I made a not so honest mistake and took something from my job. About two weeks went by and all of a sudden I got called into the managers office to talk to lp and one of my managers was sitting in as a witness. He explained what he does for the company and that when something gets placed on his desk that he usually has all the pieces to the puzzle. He asked me a whole bunch of questions:face-smile: about everything that I could have possible done wrong and then he eventually asked my about the product I took. I admitted to nothing of course and the interview eventually ended after a few questions about why I think theft happens. Now I know the camera angle where the product was taken from is non viewable.. My question is if they knew I did something wrong or had solid evidence would I still be working there or would they wait for any reason to fire me

Wait...what?!!? It's now an "honest mistake" to take something from your job? By any other definition, that's called theft.
  2.  permalink
    ObiWan:
    Cunningrodent: Ok so I made a not so honest mistake and took something from my job. About two weeks went by and all of a sudden I got called into the managers office to talk to lp and one of my managers was sitting in as a witness. He explained what he does for the company and that when something gets placed on his desk that he usually has all the pieces to the puzzle. He asked me a whole bunch of questions:face-smile: about everything that I could have possible done wrong and then he eventually asked my about the product I took. I admitted to nothing of course and the interview eventually ended after a few questions about why I think theft happens. Now I know the camera angle where the product was taken from is non viewable.. My question is if they knew I did something wrong or had solid evidence would I still be working there or would they wait for any reason to fire me

Wait...what?!!? It's now an "honest mistake" to take something from your job? By any other definition, that's called theft.

And by any other definition what you have committed is called illiteracy .. I said NOT so honest mistake jackass. And I didn't come here to be judged I came to ask a question I thought this forum was an open one
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    You're correct. I'm wrong. It was my oversight. My apologies.
  3.  permalink
    That really depends on if they like u or not. Usually when u go in there they only suspect u. They rarely know who has taken something. A lot of people just snitch on themselves. But afterwards they may start being an ass to you if they don't want you there
  4.  permalink
    i've been following this thread and i have some questions. i was banned for stealing at a frys california store. this was 2-3 years ago.

i made a pretty big mistake of coming back. i recently bought 2 things with my credit card at frys. no problems, card went through and i was able to leave with my items. will my name pop a red flag later? if so, what will happen? will frys contact me? will they arrest me for trespassing?

thank you for those who can answer my questions
  5.  permalink
    anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011
    If ou check other threads on the same issue, apparently Fry's keeps a big book of pictures of all of the people who have been banned from every shopping there. Low tech to say the least.  

Your chance of being found out? Not very high. That said, why risk it? What could Fry's have that you can't get elsewhere or online?
  6.  permalink
    thanks for your reply ObiWan. did a search and read about the big book you mentioned, agree that it is pretty old school. who would recognize everyone?

i was stupid. didnt know friends wanted to go to a frys till we got there. i figured it's been so long, and a different store than where i stole from, so no one would care right?

i'm just concerned if they decided to add my name to a database. though the cashiers computer screen didnt go nuts when i used my credit card. my name is on the receipt though. i just wonder if a red flag would pop up at a later date? : |

can you link me to any threads with similar issues? thanks a lot

where is rick? i would like his input too
  7.  permalink
    Guest: thanks for your reply ObiWan. did a search and read about the big book you mentioned, agree that it is pretty old school. who would recognize everyone?  

i was stupid. didnt know friends wanted to go to a frys till we got there. i figured it's been so long, and a different store than where i stole from, so no one would care right?  

i'm just concerned if they decided to add my name to a database. though the cashiers computer screen didnt go nuts when i used my credit card. my name is on the receipt though. i just wonder if a red flag would pop up at a later date? : |  

can you link me to any threads with similar issues? thanks a lot  

where is rick? i would like his input too

You are reading too much into this. Fry's isn't that advanced. You don't need to worry. I worked there for almost 5 years and have seen a few come back after being caught stealing and shop just fine without any problems. honestly they don't care as long as you don't steal again.
  8.  permalink
    SDCherryPicker, thank you for your response. you put me at ease with your explanation and experience. thanks. yeah, i think i am reading too much into this. i tend to over-think quite a bit. bad habit of mines.

anyways, definitely learned a lesson. never ever again. no more frys for me.

SDCherryPicker, did you work LP during your time at frys?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    It still begs the question - WHY shop at Fry's when there are alternatives? You don't have to risk being recognized, you won't have to go through the TSA style groping upon leaving Fry's.
  9.  permalink
    ObiWan, i ask myself the same question over and over again recently. i dont know, i was just being stupid. but you're right, i'm not gonna risk it, never ever again. no more frys for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthordclark
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011
    I have a Question.. considering my cousin was too scared to ask. (LMAO). He works at a walmart as a overnight stocker.. he ended up stealing a box of condoms, probably no more than $11 or $12 dollars.. (He feels really bad, but doesn't want to return the item to avoid possibly getting fired..) First Question: 1. Does Walmart have overnight people who monitor their cameras? he said that he is worried that he might have stolen the item in view of a camera, and was wondering if A.) They have loss prevention or someone who watches cameras overnight, or B.) If they do not, does the loss prevention people go back and look at all the footage for the night to see if anyone stole something while they were off? like when they start their shift the next morning. Or do they only go back and look at previous footage if they are suspicious that a certain person stole something?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011
    dclark - many retail stores do have people that monitor the cameras during the night when the store is being restocked. If several days have passed, then your cousin may have gotten away with this particular caper. But...it points to a bigger, moral issue. If he thinks he's gotten away with this, what else is he willing to try to get away with?
  10.  permalink
    Some retailers keep that evidence around and wait for you to think you got away with it so you steal more and give them more evidence against you.  

Or they just didn't even notice, who knows. Either way your cousin is quite the idiot risking his job and all future jobs stealing something worth peanuts. Truly a world class idiot.
  11.  permalink
    Walmart doesn't prosecute anything under $75.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRonin
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    Today I was buying and returning items in Babies-r-us (Las Vegas). On the beginning I tried to return an item, but because I didn't have the recieve, I was told that I can't return it. OK. Me, my girlfriend and the baby walked out of the store after not choosing and not buying anything. Before we left, I placed the "not return items" back in my gift bag (we got the item as a gift after the baby was born. When we left the store we passed a gentelman who than returned and stayed close to our car, pretending to not doing anything, but obviosly taking pictures of our car and us with his cell phone. I couldn't get peace with this and drove back to the store. I asked one of the cashiers (the one handling us with the return item) if this guy is working there as a security. She told me that she knows what I am talking about and said that yes, he was a security person. My question is, is the loss prevention officer allowed taking pictures of individuals on his cell? Thank you in advance.
  12.  permalink
    Rick:
    Guest: Why do some LPO act like real cops?

You give someone some power over another person, even as small as it is and in some cases it goes to their head. Your probably having to deal with someone that wants to feel powerfull all the time and can only do so by obtaining a LPO position. (snip)

Yup. Anyone here ever catch a movie called "The Experiment"? It's based on "The Stanford Prison Experiment", in which volunteers were randomly assigned roles as "prisoners" or "guards" to see how they would behave. In a nutshell, even the psychologists monitoring the experiments were apalled by how quickly the "guards" started bullying the "prisoners", and they eventually ended it ahead of schedule. There's a reference website here:  
    http://www.prisonexp.org/  
    ... because lots of folk talk about it but nowhere near enough people truly understand what this experiment reveals about unchecked power in ordinary humans.  

I don't intend to insult Loss Prevention. I've met several individuals in that department (as well as supervisors in other departments) who are decent, hard-working human beings. Further, most of them seem to genuinely want to do their jobs, improve their lives by playing within the rules, and treat everyone with at least a reasonable amount of courtesy and respect.  

However, I perceive that the entirety of Fry's management, from the Fry Brothers (and Whatshername) all the way down to the department managers should be forced to sit through a class on this experiment and then write a (non-plagarized) paper on what the results of the experiment mean to Fry's. Papers built around the thesis that "the worse the economy gets, the worse we have to treat our bottom-rank associates to keep solvent" would automatically fail, while any papers incorporating the concepts of "enlightened self-interest" or "short-term investments for long-term stability and profit" should be given at least a passing grade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRick
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011

Sounds like they strongly suspected you, but couldnt find any evidence to convict you. They could b waiting to see if you steal again. Normally when they interrogate someon like that there pushing for an admission of guilt which you did not give them. They are no doubt watching and waiting for you to make a mistake. My advice, dont steal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRick
    Guest: i've been following this thread and i have some questions. i was banned for stealing at a frys california store. this was 2-3 years ago.  

i made a pretty big mistake of coming back. i recently bought 2 things with my credit card at frys. no problems, card went through and i was able to leave with my items. will my name pop a red flag later? if so, what will happen? will frys contact me? will they arrest me for trespassing?  

thank you for those who can answer my questions

Were you convicted of theft? Did you sign the crimincal tresspass warning? Even if they verbally warned you that you were not allowed on Fry's property this warning lasts for life. That being said, I have never heard of them utilizing any kind of computer software that identified someone as criminal trespassing. Your credit card may have yor name on it, but there are lots of people who probably share both your first and last name. As far as the discussion bout the book that has everyones picture in it, thats called the "B.O.L.O" book which stand for "Be on lookout". This book constantly has photos coming in and out of it. Regardless of whether or not your in the BOLO book, there is no doubt your picture is somewhere in there loss prevention system if they arrested you for theft. The only exception might be if you were considered a juvenile at the time. You are taking a risk entering onto Fry's property. However, if no action was taken at the time yo tresspased I dont think it would be something I woul worry about.  

As always, these are my opinions. Speak to a lawyer for a more definitive answer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRick
    dclark: I have a Question.. considering my cousin was too scared to ask. (LMAO). He works at a walmart as a overnight stocker.. he ended up stealing a box of condoms, probably no more than $11 or $12 dollars.. (He feels really bad, but doesn't want to return the item to avoid possibly getting fired..) First Question: 1. Does Walmart have overnight people who monitor their cameras? he said that he is worried that he might have stolen the item in view of a camera, and was wondering if A.) They have loss prevention or someone who watches cameras overnight, or B.) If they do not, does the loss prevention people go back and look at all the footage for the night to see if anyone stole something while they were off? like when they start their shift the next morning. Or do they only go back and look at previous footage if they are suspicious that a certain person stole something?

I could only guess what type of practices walmart employs. If he really wants to make things right, perhaps he could just go purchase the same thing he stole and put it back on the shelf. Keep the reciept heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRick
    Ronin: Today I was buying and returning items in Babies-r-us (Las Vegas). On the beginning I tried to return an item, but because I didn't have the recieve, I was told that I can't return it. OK. Me, my girlfriend and the baby walked out of the store after not choosing and not buying anything. Before we left, I placed the "not return items" back in my gift bag (we got the item as a gift after the baby was born. When we left the store we passed a gentelman who than returned and stayed close to our car, pretending to not doing anything, but obviosly taking pictures of our car and us with his cell phone. I couldn't get peace with this and drove back to the store. I asked one of the cashiers (the one handling us with the return item) if this guy is working there as a security. She told me that she knows what I am talking about and said that yes, he was a security person. My question is, is the loss prevention officer allowed taking pictures of individuals on his cell? Thank you in advance.

Yes, if its in a public place. However, if they post it around the store or show it to store employees it could be considered defamation of character. This means that if you have done nothing wrong in terms of theft etc and there showing people the picture and saying "Hey watch this guy and his family, there thieves that come in the store and steal" you can sue for civil damages asumeing you can prove that they wrongfully dragged your name through the dirt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggkika
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    I have a question about their security cameras outside....do they face the direction of where people come in and out? Or the whole entire parking lot?
  13.  permalink
    ggkika: I have a question about their security cameras outside....do they face the direction of where people come in and out? Or the whole entire parking lot?

They're pan and tilt cameras. Depending on the store, but they can capture video from the front entrance and the parking lot. You can follow someone leaveing the store to their car. The usually have a camera at the front entrance as well to capture licence plates if need be.  

They don't monitor the entire parking lot though if that's what your're asking.http://www.frysblackfriday.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorggkika
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011
    BorderPatrol:
    ggkika: I have a question about their security cameras outside....do they face the direction of where people come in and out? Or the whole entire parking lot?

They're pan and tilt cameras. Depending on the store, but they can capture video from the front entrance and the parking lot. You can follow someone leaveing the store to their car. The usually have a camera at the front entrance as well to capture licence plates if need be.  

They don't monitor the entire parking lot though if that's what your're asking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggkika
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011
    Thanks doll!
  14.  permalink
    A friend of mine changed the price tags on some items at her job, bought the items and gave it to the clerk who hold bags until employees shift end, when she went to get her bag the clerk said it has to be approved by the SM, so she left and decided not to go back to work this was her first time and she's scared...what happens now
  15.  permalink
    Well, she kind of fucked up by changing the price in the first place. Strike two was not going into work, makes her look guilty if they suspect something. Either way, don't admit to jack shit. The burden of proof is on them.
  16.  permalink
    can the police still come and get her from her home.. and yeah it was crazy what she did..
  17.  permalink
    Your friend is a complete idiot.
  18.  permalink
    Yeah she's pretty much regretting it..however, does anyone know if the police can come to her house anyway, they have the three items and her money?
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011
    BorderPatrol:

They don't monitor the entire parking lot though if that's what your're asking.

Fry's mainly uses Pelco Spectra IV cameras... finally upgrading most of them to color. These are pretty standard in most retail areas and mainly because of their high clarity and 13x zoom.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  19.  permalink
    Hi Everyone,
    I am an associate and found a highly discounted product so I save it and have my friend pick it up with my quote. They chased after my friend when he is going to his car and have him come back and return the product (can they do that?). Also they interrogated me (asking who is involve and so forth) and have me signed the statement of telling the truth. Now I have never steal or do anything illegally, this was the only thing that I have done throughout my years at fry's (many years), my concern is does this mean I should start looking for another job? And what action should I take?

Thank you in advance
  20.  permalink
    your friend is an idiot... Once you've purchased an item it's now yours. You can do whatever you want with it
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012
    Guest: your friend is an idiot... Once you've purchased an item it's now yours. You can do whatever you want with it

Unless your buddy changes a price tag on a $500 item to $5 then calls you to come buy it....then you're both thieves and deserve to be chased down.
  21.  permalink
    @ Skullywag: I believe what happened was the there was an error in our POS system listing the price at a significantly lower (it rung up at the price) thus I made a quote (thinking it's a great one day sale) and have someone buy it (because I don't think we can buy on the clock and on one day sale item). The price got fixed later on.
    •  
      CommentAuthork12k11
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012
    what was the item? the printer?
  22.  permalink
    I have a question as a new employee:

Are we required to ready/complete even in our off times when we are not scheduled to work (i.e. coming with family/friends to shop)? Do they keep track of you esp if you visit another store?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3352
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012
    ^ no. But if u wanna look like a retard then by all
    Means go for it
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2370
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012
    Can fry's associates Add some people From LP on Facebook?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012
    Probably not unless policy changed. At 21 I had one of the LP guys tell me they were not even allowed to go to a party hosted by a fry's associate due to possible conflicts of interest.
  23.  permalink
    =(..all my good friends are from lp..owell i can live whit it. thanx
  24.  permalink
    What is your best advice for someone who has signed a statement that is self incriminating but actually believes it was wrong. Scaring people into these situations can cause bad decisions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    Guest: What is your best advice for someone who has signed a statement that is self incriminating but actually believes it was wrong. Scaring people into these situations can cause bad decisions.

It's a bit late now. If you signed a statement that "I did [fill in the blank]", you're basically SOL. If Fry's (or whomever) takes legal action, your only plausible defense is that you were forced to sign it, or it was "signed under duress". But...the facts will need to back that up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    Guest: What is your best advice for someone who has signed a statement that is self incriminating but actually believes it was wrong. Scaring people into these situations can cause bad decisions.

Uh, Find a spine? To my knowledge Fry's does not use water-boarding, thumb screws or bamboo under the fingernails to get folks to sign these peices of paper. What is so hard about the concept of being truthful? If they want you to sign something that says you did something THAT YOU DIDN'T....why on Gods green earth would you? Fear? Fear of what? Losing your last measly paycheck, when signing said piece of paper might deny you unemployment checks later? Spineless folks put up with shit, and scare easily in the work place because they "need this job".... buddy, let me tell you, there are plenty more out there.  

Not to sound overly harsh... but it's insane to self-incriminate YOURSELF (frys can only hand you that piece of paper, YOU are the one who does or does not sign it) and then ask "what is your best advice?" This shows you have absolutely no control over yourself to the point you can't make a rational decision on your own, or deal with said mistake afterward. A book on building self esteem might be on order. Because an employer treats you like trash, doe not mean you ARE trash.
    •  
      CommentAuthordomo12
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2012 edited
    Rick: Tittle says it all. Ask me anything you want to know about this department.:face-devil-grin:

Help me please I have a friend who is in court right now of felony grand larceny.... LPO lied and said they seen my friend put some thing in her purse but she didn't and the cameras says other wise. What should she do? And can the convict her of what he said but that camera says other wise?
  25.  permalink
    Hi Rick, I really like this thread for just how informational it all has been (your posts and posts from others). Just wondering, are LP members typically merchandisers/sales/supervisors that got promoted to LP or do you have to apply for it? Also, how many people total are caught stealing per month, and how many of those caught are associates (caught on camera, and if it counts, signed papers)? Roughly how many people are suspected of thieving every week? How many of those being suspected are closely monitored and followed?
    •  
      CommentAuthordomo12
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012
    A friend of mines walk into a lowes in Va pick up some domestic items and shopped around alittle she then decided she didn't want the items so see put the items back in a aisle that was being recorded and secured with cameras. When walking out the door the alarm system went off but people was walking in as she was walking out at the same time, still walking out the first set of doors some man ran up to her and tells her to come here she says no, the man asks her again and she replied the same again NO. The man then trys to grab her and she ran. The man chases after her and writes her tag numbers down. 2 weeks later she gets pulled over by the police for a warrant of her arrest from lowes. When going to to court the same man that asked her to come back into the store was there and another man which I'm guessing is LPO. The man made up a whole store about my friend and its not the true story I know because I was there with her at the time. She already haves a paid attorney. My question to u would be what can my friend do now to get her self out of this situation of two LpO lying on her? Or can u just give me some advice plz
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012
    It will be a case of he said she said. If they have no video proof to submit to the courts she will probably get off, especially if she has a lawyer.