Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLV803
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013
    Rick: Tittle says it all. Ask me anything you want to know about this department.:face-devil-grin:
    i was falsely picked out of a line up and arrested for shoplifting from a wal mart. my warrant stated that i was approached by loss prevention trying to leave with 700 odd dollars worth of merchandise. they say a witness identified me and it was also caught on camera. none of this ever happened,. at least not with me. i was arrested yesterday. i lost my job. i tried contacting loss prevention at the store and i have yet to get a reply. can i sue?
  1.  permalink
    I work at Kohl's. The other day after i punched out in the break room, i found LP outside the break room door. I asked if we're checking bags today. She gestured to reach so i gave her my fanny pack. She found a bottle of cologne and asked me where i got that. I said it's from a different location Kohl's, December 2011. She seized it from me and told me to follow her at the manager's office. She decided to do a research of my purchases dating back 2011. After a while, she handed me back my cologne, never said anything. I asked if she found my receipt. LP didn't answer and mumbled about a problem with UPC and left the room. I checked with Customer Service as to our inventory vs floor count of the cologne. Nothing is missing. WTF! The Store Manager helped me find and print my old receipt for the cologne for my protection. What a relief. Does LP need a probable cause to seize a personal item? How can i crucify this freaking LP bitch?
  2.  permalink
    "How can i crucify this freaking LP bitch?"

There are many problems with what you just said. First you probably signed an agreement when you were hired saying you agree to have personal belongings searched. Second, you voluntarily gave up your bag so technically she didn't seize the item. From the LP person's standpoint they found an item that the store carries in your bag with no receipt. And it's not like it was gum. It was something of value.
  3.  permalink
    Guest 15882,

I was under the impression that LP only catches employees when LP has proof like pictures or when someone witnessed it. This was the first time an item in my bag got investigated.

Regarding the Second scenario you pointed out, if i don't voluntary give my bag during bag check, i would get in bigger trouble, right? I really don't have no choice in that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Help! What can I do?  

I was recently stopped by this group of people. I made a mistake and left the store with product. I opened the product to be certain that it would meet my needs. I suppose I opened it because everything in the store seems to be opened and well... I had been awake and working for nearly 2 days. I was the walking dead. I handled / opened 4 maybe 5 things. I of course put them all back (all but one) in package or on shelf. I suppose I was grazing I would shop carry put down, put back, pick up another item and consider it etc. likely in store an hour or so. I had no intention of "stealing" anything at Fry's. I am 40 years old with a perfect record not even a ticket. When I was at the store register I gave cashier 2 items which I decided not to purchase. That said one item remained about my person as I left the store. I was perhaps 2 strides past the person checking packages and was swarmed by (not sure I was so shocked and confused) This crack staff spun me around and handcuffed me (really hard/tight) and walked me to little room. I started to wake up about this time. I was polite when asked to have a seat and opted to stand. NOTE: this was a super dumb thing to do but it was just that and nothing more. I was afraid and feared everything. I have to be licensed by the state in order to perform my duties and was now nervous that I could be in real trouble. I was led to believe that if I signed this and this and this that I would be able to pay for the item or 3 x the value and not return to the store. I said "so this is the end of it if I sign these things? I didn't protest as I believed I would or may look worse by doing so. The paperwork info was wrong (address, and details about what happened) I shared with them it was written in error and he changed my address but didn't change any of my statements. Additionally, he was not looking at me perhaps never looked at me. The man who completed paperwork was not the same man I spoke with or questioned by in truth who spoke at or over me. He accused me of everything, called me a thief and criminal. "We have you from minute zero until you decided to take our product and leave the store. This is what we do for a living come on come on." So I said I can sign these and we move on? Yes. OK. But, this is written in error and does not reflect what i shared with the other person. He didn't say anything nor did he look up to me. I feel so stupid but I signed them because I did leave or would have left the store. Signed put pen down and in comes the policeman. He walked in and asked me if 24.00 product was worth going to jail. I of course said no but opted not to explain. He too called me thief etc. One guy said "ya she's slick". He used his radio and confirmed that I had no history. He then said "this is good the prosecutor will look favorably on this. I said "who?" Policeman said "your being charged with theft which is a felony." I said I thought we were taking care of this today. Nope not today. Good luck your free to go. I said so whats next what is happening? What should I expect? no answer and no copies of paperwork. Policeman never gave me his name, but I wish I had it. He manipulated me (I suppose he can) but he was mean saying he called for the "patty wagon (sp?). A few minutes later he told me how lucky I was that the transport car was busy.  

Well I called the prosecutors office and they did in fact press charges against me. I can not believe this. Obviously, shopping while sleep deprived was a bad choice. So dumb. I wish I could do something but I don't know what. Any wisdom would be appreciated as I am out of my depth. I am concerned about the law but this could impact my operative credentialing.  

Did they make mistakes? Is anything missing? Too much of anything? Gaps? Anything at all?  

Thank you.

Call a reputable criminal attorney and get their advice. You may be able to plead not guilty and win considering it sounded like an honest mistake. If you need a good attorney, you can go to your local public defender's office, explain to them what happened, and they may either agree to represent you or give you a referral to an attorney that does quality work.  

Good luck.
  4.  permalink
    What does the acronym DOL mean when used by Fry's Loss prevention?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatieb001
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014
    Rick: Tittle says it all. Ask me anything you want to know about this department.:face-devil-grin:

Question:  
    Can a manager at Wal-Mart or LP at Wal-Mart tell family and friends about someone who had gotten caught shoplifting from the store? Isn't there a policy of confidentiality or something like that to protect the person who had shoplifted?
  5.  permalink
    It's not illegal for them to talk about someone getting detained. It's probably against company policy though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStewie
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014
    Stewie 12 minutes ago edit quotepermalink  
    What if employee was seen on camera concealing a few fragrance testers, and was interrogated about it a few days later. They admitted they had done it but didn't sign anything. Do they usually tape the interrogation? If they do tape the interrogation, does the loss prevention person have to inform the employee? If there is actual video footage of this concealment, can the person view it? Can a lawyer ask for a copy to view?
  6.  permalink
    I'm not aware of any taped interviews at Fry's. In California, people need to be informed if they are being audio recorded. If your case does go to court, and the company offers video of you concealing the items as evidence, your lawyer can request to view it. That's standard practice. Here comes the standard berating. Why would anyone give up their job to steal some stupid crap like fragrance testers? You are lucky that you live in a time in which your hands aren't cut off for such idiotic crimes. If your crime becomes official/on the record, good luck getting a job in the next 7 years. No one in their right mind will hire you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorvitatm
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014
    sorry guys! but im just asking what will happen to me for employee theft? .. loss prevention accused me stealing, but i did, i told them the truth, i co operated,saying i took a like 3000$ worth of items, but they accused me of everythiing that the store was at loss..and that was like under 10000$, so i made a statement, saying i did talk some items but not all....., but the thing is i dont think that the they have proof.. like evidence on vedios or anything.. but i already made a statement because i paniced and everything.. so anybody know wht would happen to me?  
    Rate this post positively
  7.  permalink
    You've proven that you are a fucking idiot in three ways. One, you stole from your employer. Good luck getting another job again any time soon. Two, you admitted to it without consulting a lawyer. Three, you posted this bullshit in 3 different fucking threads. Fuck you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    Guest: You've proven that you are a fucking idiot in three ways. One, you stole from your employer. Good luck getting another job again any time soon. Two, you admitted to it without consulting a lawyer. Three, you posted this bullshit in 3 different fucking threads. Fuck you.

Your anger just fuels his troll..... sigh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    What's the best way to steal if you're a customer? Employee? :face-devil-grin:
  8.  permalink
    this is how you you steal:

1. dont be a nigger.

9.  permalink
    This is how you troll:

1. Something something...nigger... something something.
    2. *I am such a rebel, I typed nigger on the interwebs!!!
  10.  permalink
    It's easy to shoplift at Frys, especially when you're employee there and can open the clan shells. But only for shoplifting small things you can hide inside pocket and shirt. Closing hour especially makes it easy to shoplift.
  11.  permalink
    so i got caught shoplifting..not a proud thing but i admit it....now i did sign that stuff and confessed to it..and they let me go next day the guy calls me up saying that i need to come in to sign a paper for the stuff that i stole so i can pay it back....is this a trap for me or is it a real thing?
  12.  permalink
    was working at walmart
    -guest 58117
    •  
      CommentAuthorRick
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014
    Guest: so i got caught shoplifting..not a proud thing but i admit it....now i did sign that stuff and confessed to it..and they let me go next day the guy calls me up saying that i need to come in to sign a paper for the stuff that i stole so i can pay it back....is this a trap for me or is it a real thing?

If you read through this post, you will see that it's been said several times to never sign anything. They may pressure you into signing various documents by making threats, telling you there going to call the police and various scare tactics. Never sign anything period. Never say anything period. Expect to be lied to and given false and misleading information. You should definitely contact a legal advisor if you have been accused of theft and they are pressing charges.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRick
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014
    Stewie: Stewie 12 minutes ago edit quotepermalink  
    What if employee was seen on camera concealing a few fragrance testers, and was interrogated about it a few days later. They admitted they had done it but didn't sign anything. Do they usually tape the interrogation? If they do tape the interrogation, does the loss prevention person have to inform the employee? If there is actual video footage of this concealment, can the person view it? Can a lawyer ask for a copy to view?

If they interviewed / interrogated you for concealing something your done. Your termination is impending. There now looking to try to get you to admit to it and find out if you have stolen anything else before they either press charges or give you the boot. Fry's has a very high turnover rate. Retail staff are easy to replace and even something as simple as fragrance testers is a sign that you might steal other stuff. There not going to take the risk of letting you stick around. They probably watched you for a few days to see if you would steal anything else that might lead them to other employees or other high value items.
  13.  permalink
    I was caught shoplifting at a department store and was banned from mall property. I worked at another store in the mall and had to quit that position because I wasn't allowed at the mall anymore. A couple days later I got a call from my store's LP saying that because of the reason why I quit, they were launching an LP investigation against me. Can they do this?
  14.  permalink
    The store can do whatever the fuck they want to do...you stole from them. Them doing an "investigation" does not violate your rights. Now, whatever their findings are will be subject to what they can prove, and law. If you had a "habit" of stealing from them, and there is a chance you were on camera performing your habit...you might be in some legal trouble.
    I really don't get the whole "I stole from them, do they have the right to do anything about it" attitude. You're not the injured one here...they are. They lost money, and caught a scum bag thief. All you have to do is live with being one.
    No sympathy here.
  15.  permalink
    No, I think that you misunderstood my question. I never stole anything from the store that I worked for. I stole from a different unrelated department store in the mall. But since i was banned from mall property, i had to tell me current employer why i needed to quit my current position. They are conducting an investigation based on 1 act of theft from a completely different store after I had already quit. If i had not even told them the real reason why i was quitting they would have never even known about this incident.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014
    Because you stole from another store at the mall you worked at, and you told your former employer why you quit, it logically puts you under suspicion. Poor decisions have consequences. Live with it. The best thing that can happen is that you learn from it.
  16.  permalink
    A thief is a thief. You are a person who steals. Being selective about who you steal from does not make anything better. Just thank God that the other store didn't prosecute. Your ex-employer has just cause to wonder if you stole from them also.
    I'm willing to bet you did....

Is it my imagination, or has this thread evolved into a confessional for the morally bankrupt?
  17.  permalink
    Guest 53987,

What would make you possibly think that they cannot investigate suspected internal theft? They have every reason to believe that you may have stolen from them and can conduct whatever internal investigation that they want. They can review security footage, paperwork that you may have signed. They can investigate anything that happened in that building. Why would possibly make you think otherwise?
  18.  permalink
    Guest: No, I think that you misunderstood my question. I never stole anything from the store that I worked for. I stole from a different unrelated department store in the mall. But since i was banned from mall property, i had to tell me current employer why i needed to quit my current position. They are conducting an investigation based on 1 act of theft from a completely different store after I had already quit. If i had not even told them the real reason why i was quitting they would have never even known about this incident.

They can review all camera footage of you, transaction records, etc and interview co-workers. If you haven't stolen anything from there, then obviously their investigation won't turn up anything.  

Don't list them as a job reference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRick
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015
    85,000 views and counting. Who would have thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorv1974
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016
    lmao Rick if you're still looking at this thread-- wondering if Frys uses alarm systems at the door? My friend had something with that white sticker bookstores use for their alarm systems in her bag when she left, and is now paranoid because she heard a faint beeping when she left the Frys store
    •  
      CommentAuthorKitsune
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2016
    Hilarious reading all these comments from so long ago. I especially liked the comment about how the SM @ ST23 consistently tells associates she thinks she can trap that she can always just go play back the audio. Melissa will tell someone who she thinks is a sucker whatever she thinks will get her the response she is looking for. I had a hard time not snickering when she'd let one of those lines loose while sitting witness in the office for her. Seemed really funny at the time, back when I really thought Fry's was going somewhere and that I was along for the ride; now it just seems sad.
  19.  permalink

hey still available????
    •  
      CommentAuthorRick
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016
    thundergod12:

hey still available????

Late reply. Sorry. I saw your thread and the responses you got were all sound advice. You didn't commit a theft as you didn't exit the store with any merchandise. However, you should know that some cities / states have a misdemeanor charge known as "Criminal Mischief" which basically means you were in the process of stealing. It's a gray area but police officers have and do prosecute people for this. Fry's loss prevention however does not. Based on what you mentioned in your thread, you got "burned" I.E. they sacred the shit out of you so you wouldn't leave the store with the merchandise. They did this because as someone has already said, they lost "continuous surveillance" of you once you entered the bathroom which means you could have dumped the package / item somewhere in the restroom before you left the store.  

Lastly, as someone has already mentioned, your stupid for stealing in the first place as a theft will literally ruin your life. Nobody trusts a thief, wants to hire a thief, date a thief or be associated with a thief. It will haunt you for many years and cost you far more than you could ever steal both financially and socially.  

Regards,  

Rick
  20.  permalink
    When it comes to Fry's never sign anything ever would be a good rule of thumb even when they hire you. I kid but seriously just trying to save you.

I'm just curious here if anyone being accused has ever asked LP to write up and sign their own agreements. For instances,

LP - "You have a good chance of keeping your job if you tell us who else has been stealing."
    Accused - "Put that in written that I keep my job and I'll consider it."

Obviously they won't do it but will tell you real quick they aren't going to be willing to stand behind anything they seemingly offer you.

Also curious as to if anyone has ever tried to play it back on LP by admitting to stolen items they never took to see how they react to them.

Accused - "So you know about the iPod I stole 2 weeks ago?"
    LP - "Yes"
    Accused -"Well you're full of shit so unless you have some hard evidence on an iPod I never took I think we're done here as you have no credibility with me now."

I mean you can tell them you stole half of the store but as long as you dont sign a confession, and they have no proof there is nothing they could do about it. They won't have proof either if you never did it. I just wonder if LP in an attempt to push more information out of someone would actually fall trap to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorffl007
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016
    Where is FRYSE01 located?
  21.  permalink
    I know this post is old but we had a LP guy come into where I work and question everyone. He started off with small talk and I was nice because I felt intimidated. He seemed nice but I could tell there was something wrong with his behavior. He then accused me of stealing. He didn't even ask me or ask why, he just said, "Why did you steal?". I was shocked and irritated because I was being accused of something I didn't do. He proceeded to tell me they have tiny cameras the since of a pin head and they are, can be and may be in the store now. Which made me scared that there could be some in the bathroom. I felt creeped out with him, as it was, so I was really creeped out. I signed the freakin' papers at the end and wrote what he told me because I didn't know I had a choice. He was very stern, demanding and threatening. I put ellipses at the end of the sentences because I was hoping I would be questioned by someone OTHER than him why I did... but now I won't be.

He told me AFTER our conversation that it was "confidential", not to tell anyone and write it down. I am so irritated because I feel like I was forced to write, sign and personal information that I don't even coworkers to know.

Was our conversation legally confidential or is it a scare tactic?
    Does he have to have all of my personal information? Can he, additionally, write it down in his personal notebook?
    If he really wants my personal information can't he just ask the company? I understand that it is on record from me applying and being hired but I don't trust him to know where I live, when I was born, etc.
    Am I able to have a conversation with him and be able to write down another statement?

I just want to be able to voice my concerns about him having my personal information and the cameras in places they can't be legally. I have anxiety and get so anxious that I can't sleep. I am, seriously, so grossed out by him that I don't even want to go to work because I am afraid he will be there.

I know this seems very out there but I am, seriously, worried about my personal safety.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016
    Do you work for Fry's or somewhere else? FWIW, there are are local, state and federal laws that protect the individual from this sort of stuff. If this person claims they "have tiny cameras the since of a pin head", then you should ask them to show you the video proving their accusations. Never, ever, EVAR sign anything, especially under threat or duress. BTW, if they hold you against your will without just cause, that's called false imprisonment (a felony).
  22.  permalink
    Hey does frys let you carry your MacBook from the computer area to the register or do they take it there for you
    •  
      CommentAuthorWorrywort
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2018

Rick  
    If my former employer and their loss prevention contact me on the phone a month after I've already left that job requesting me to come in for a face-to-face meeting to discuss an urgent matter, which he said he could not discuss over the phone what does it mean question and what is likely to happen if I don't show up? Because I was already informed by several different lawyers that I have no legal obligation to speak to them being that I'm no longer employed I'm just wondering if they can bring me up on charges without my knowledge?