Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnon21871
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    Why is everyone focusing on selling Monster products? It's getting so bad that they're placing it more important than selling PSC's, and even Wireless Installations. What the fuck is going on? Am I going to get fired if I don't attach enough overpriced Monster products to each sale?  

Can anyone please explain why the sudden attention with Monster products all over the store?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Why is everyone still scared of sean and rey?
    HOW CAN I MAKE IN ROADS WITH FRY'S IN SELLING OUR PRODUCTS?
    Why is it that everyone who gets fired or quits Frys has a smile on their face?
    Why does everyone hate me?!
    Chinese Democracy being released,Frys giving everyone raises.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    $$$$$$$Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  2.  permalink
    It's easy. That's why it's called a 'focus'. The uppers had a big meeting and it's trickling down to the associates now. $$$. They want us to attach as much as possible and will be competing with other stores. Just like regular sales we compete, PSC's, fry's cards compete. It helps the store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnon21871
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    Why can't it be stuff that is easier to sell? Monster stuff have a rather popular reputation of being the best bang for your buck and overpriced.... and the people KNOW IT!
  3.  permalink
    had to get a few monster items for a buddy of mine yesterday. Would it matter if i returned all the monster stuff i got? will it show on their records
  4.  permalink
    there is a real story be hide this ... it involves randy fry and best buy at a monster meeting
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnon21871
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010
    Guest: there is a real story be hide this ... it involves randy fry and best buy at a monster meeting

I'd love to know the details of this story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    Best Buy needs to by Frys Electronics already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 6087
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    Um, I dont know how the whole story goes, but from what I learned from a supervisor, Monster gives fry's a HUGE kickback for carrying their product, as well as selling their product. At the time I got the story, was when the "hdmi 1000" was going for 199.99, for each one of those cables that fry's sold, Monster would give the company 20.00 on the back end. The whole problem now is, the economy is bad, which means fry's isnt doing as good as they used to, which means monster isnt making as much money but still paying on the back end. The newest info i have on this is that the contract is not benefiting monster anymore, and with that being said, Fry's may not be carrying monster anymore due to poor sales, which would in turn create a bigger loss in the pockets of Randy, John, Dave, and Kathy. This is why they are going so far as to write any associate up for "failure to meet monster goals". Companies do kick back deals all the time, but none this big. Fry's is one of monsters biggest clients due to the fact that we carry almost all of their product. It was a very profitable deal when it was made, and we didnt have to push the sale when times were better, but now, monster has learned that they can make more money with a big box retailer without offering a kickback. The bottom line is, This is too big of a contract for fry's to lose money wise, and monster reps know how much money associates are missing out on because Fry's is too greedy. If you know anything from monster training, the monster reps work very closely with Noel Lee, and they report that info to him, which is why you saw your monster commission go up. (Its supposed to go from 5% to 11% if you dont already know.) My prediction: In 2 years, monster will not be in fry's due to the fact that that its too big of a headache for monster, and they can make more money without kickbacks with a big box retailer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Obviously if the passed the bigger commissions to Fry's sales men there would be more sells. Instead they are forcing you to sell monster products using threats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Fry's is totally Old Testament.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Being employed at Fry's is the new motivation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Motivation? For what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlayer X
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    The reason for the recent excess in focus is because in week two of this quarter we had our quarterly financial meetings at the home offices. When we have these financial meetings, it is highly unorthodox to have any vendors attend. However, during these meetings, Monster attended and presented sales opportunities for approximately two to three hours.  

Whenever Randy Fry and Co. bring in a vendor to their meetings, all store managers know that it must be important. Therefore, this is a very important focus item. Everyweek, we are tracking each associates percentages for Monster attach rate in attempts to increase our volume. Believe me when I tell you there is more to come, and there is a chance it will become as big of a focus as Wireless installs.
  5.  permalink
    Good insight, Player X. I had know idea this was such a big deal to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    Communication is very important. Let the customer know they need monster usb cables with their printer. Monster hdmi cables with their TV.  

Why do sales associates so excited to save customers money. wtf. Frys is not a flea market.  

Add expensive cables let the customer do their own research on their own time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnon21871
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    So to sum things up....  

Were focusing on Monster so heavily so we can continue to sell Monster products at Fry's Stores so that Monster can pay the big-wigs at Fry's 20 extra bucks per item sold in our stores.  

Makes sense to me. Unfortunately, Fry's has the reputation of the place for lowest and cheap prices on electronics. Because of this, we get cheap and frugal customers. Good luck selling Monster at our stores. I think we won't be selling Monster products for much longer. :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    WTFurry: So to sum things up....  

Were focusing on Monster so heavily so we can continue to sell Monster products at Fry's Stores so that Monster can pay the big-wigs at Fry's 20 extra bucks per item sold in our stores.  

Makes sense to me. Unfortunately, Fry's has the reputation of the place for lowest and cheap prices on electronics. Because of this, we get cheap and frugal customers. Good luck selling Monster at our stores. I think we won't be selling Monster products for much longer. :/

good for employees if they dont have to sell them..Monster Cables are overpriced to begin with.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    You just tell customers they need everything. Just bundle it up. If they want to spend $1000, find them a product thats $600, and everything else costs (warranty and cables) them $400.
  6.  permalink
    X, how much involvement do the Fry's brothers have in these meetings? Are they actually present?  

I've talked to some commissioned sales associates about the new focus, and the feedback is all negative, especially in camera sales. I know one associate there who is struggling to barely meet draw, and the only monster product she can attach to a camera is a screen cleaner. Combine that with an expected ~38% attach rate and apparently at least one SLR per week, and she has some pretty ridiculous sales goals.  

Is there any real upward feedback going to home office from the sales associates on the floor? It certainly doesn't seem like it, and it's only resulting in frustrated associates and annoyed customers having to refuse a PSC more than several times throughout a sale because the associate needs the money.
  7.  permalink
    illusion. 4 out of 10 camera's need a monster product and she has to sell one (that's just ONE) slr a week, and she is in CAMERA sales??? doesn't sound to ridiculous to me.
  8.  permalink
    Like I said, there's only one monster product to attach to a camera (a screen cleaner). Occasionally an HDMI cable can be attached if there's an output for it on said camera. Also apparently selling a monster product alone doesn't cut it, it has to be attached to a camera sale in order to count.  

As far as the SLR quota goes, I'm no expert on camera sales trends, but it seems to me most prosumer and professional photographers (i.e., the only people who are even interested in the flexibility of an SLR) wouldn't be shopping at Fry's for one anyway. I could be wrong.  

She's been the top sales performer for several consecutive weeks, and she is still struggling. And she's not the only one. One of our camera sales associates went to a CA position because he couldn't make enough, and another was fired for being around $150 in the draw for four consecutive weeks.
  9.  permalink
    Monster has developed a software that will track sales of specific products. (theyre using it to track the number of monster items you attach to quotes) they are willing to part the software over to frys if we hit a # or % of monster sales. The software then can be used to track whatever we want. (focus items every week/month?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    6-2CookieMaker: Monster has developed a software that will track sales of specific products. (theyre using it to track the number of monster items you attach to quotes) they are willing to part the software over to frys if we hit a # or % of monster sales. The software then can be used to track whatever we want. (focus items every week/month?)

This is wrong. Nice try though. Monster isn't some mythical magical software developer that can develop phantom software that somehow Fry's (or anyone else in the world) can't develop. And software to track sales on specific products already exists multiple different ways in Fry's systems.  

Guest: illusion. 4 out of 10 camera's need a monster product and she has to sell one (that's just ONE) slr a week, and she is in CAMERA sales??? doesn't sound to ridiculous to me.

This guy gets it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    For kicks, I went to Monster's site to see what they were offering as far as DSLR camera cables go. Definitely nothing there that my camera didn't already come with. I shoot tethered occasionally, and the cable my camera came with works just fine.  

Monster products are over-rated/hyped and over-priced (hmmmm....kind of like Sony products)
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited
    calculon:
    6-2CookieMaker: Monster has developed a software that will track sales of specific products. (theyre using it to track the number of monster items you attach to quotes) they are willing to part the software over to frys if we hit a # or % of monster sales. The software then can be used to track whatever we want. (focus items every week/month?)

This is wrong. Nice try though. Monster isn't some mythical magical software developer that can develop phantom software that somehow Fry's (or anyone else in the world) can't develop. And software to track sales on specific products already exists multiple different ways in Fry's systems.  

Guest: illusion. 4 out of 10 camera's need a monster product and she has to sell one (that's just ONE) slr a week, and she is in CAMERA sales??? doesn't sound to ridiculous to me.

This guy gets it.

The last i checked the magical software was an Excel Spreadsheet with embedded script codes
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010
    ObiWan:  
    Monster products are over-rated/hyped and over-priced (hmmmm....kind of like Sony products)

And people come into Fry's screaming for Sony products left and right.  

asdf:  
    The last i checked the magical software was an Excel Spreadsheet with embedded script codes

Exactly. It's not science. Its raw data that Fry's already has.
  10.  permalink
    it pays sales guys as much as 60 bucks if you didnt make hourly and got 60 bucks for selling one cable wouldnt you be happy?>
  11.  permalink
    Hell yeah, I'd be happy about that .
  12.  permalink
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
  13.  permalink
    Digital is digital. When you miss bits its way too obvious. You see lots of screen glitches and audio/video jitter!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    with digital you will never get the same loss as you do in analog. which gives you noise and static.
  14.  permalink
    Two words... Packet Loss.

Because something is digital doesn't mean it's perfect. It's a one or a zero but if the signal is degraded due to RFI, EFI, resistance, or poor connection the ones and zeros don't always get recognized correctly by your components. It's not the same as transferring a photo from your camera to your hard drive (WHICH ALSO ISN'T PERFECT). When you transfer data to a hard drive your motherboard detects when data packets are lost and refetches them. Sometimes the motherboard can't even tell when data is corrupted and will write an imperfect file copy. For further reading look up what ECC is on the xeon processors that intel makes compared to the standard i7 processor without the ECC.

Now, I'm not going to bullshit and say that you'll have a better 1080p signal out of a four foot monster cable compared to a generic cable that's 4 feet. Put two sixteen feet cables up for comparison though. Shoot, try running 1080p at 120hz for a 3D experience and see which one looks better. How about 1080p at 240hz?

Back to the 4 foot cable. Say I'm a business man and I travel with a laptop and use a projector to show potential clients demos. Do you think I'm going to be plugging my HDMI cable in and out of the projector more frequently than Joe Blow who is just setting up a theater system? Do you think I might be winding my cable up all the time? My time is valuable and I can't afford to have a hitch in my presentations. Don't you think that a monster cable that is actually built better than it's competitors would be perfect for me?

Here's what no one who bashes monster ever brings up. Monster products are built better than any other cables out there. They are the BEST cables out there. What people are really saying when they speak poorly of monster is that people don't need the best.

FUCK YOU.

I want the BEST car, the BEST stereo, the BEST computer, the BEST house, the BEST life. I built a kickass computer that cost me thousands of dollars more than what I need. I could have gone cheaper and just upgraded every year or two but I had a great time building it and I wanted the BEST computer. Do you think I've got my computer plugged in with a belkin surge protector? Do you think the headphones I'm wearing now are logitech? Do you think I'm using an iconnect DVI cable? Hell no. Monster everything. Hell, I use monster screen cleaner! Why? I wouldn't wipe my ass with iKlear. That shit smears, leaves residue, and stinks. Monster cleaner works, and VERY well I might add.

Last, you're right, monster is higher profit for the store than selling high end items. Consumers are dumb. Do you really think stores like fry's and best buy would be in business if they were only making 10% profit on every item sold? Computers and TVs are highly visible items that pull customers into the store and we hope they buy other shit while they're there or we're out of business. Best buy does the same thing. So does Officemax. So does home depot. So does Sears. You want a $5.00 HDMI cable, buy your computers online. Don't come into a brick and mortar store that spends money setting up demos and training people on product knowledge and buy a $5.00 cable. It's like going into a restaurant and refusing to tip because the waiter's wages should be calculated into the price of the food. You're fucking over the waiter and no one else. Your principles just fucked over the guy who worked his ass off to give you good customer service.

Same difference when you buy a computer. Often time the cable pays MORE commission than the computer. It's your way of showing the salesman and the store your gratitude for great service. What's more is you end up with the BEST cable in the store at the same time! It's like tipping your server and having them pack you a dessert to take home with you that cost 50% of what you tipped him.

In summary:
    1. Monster is the BEST
    2. Some people need the BEST
    3. Buying Monster supports Monster (a US based business), your local retailer, and your salesman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited
    I'm sorry for your dataloss. And I'm sorry you're drinking Monster kool aid.  

Millions of cheap HDMI cables have been sold without complaints. Heres why..  

When you see packet loss you visibly see random garbage on the screen. It's clear as night and day. It's not like comparing the image quality between analog and digital, where it's "hard to tell" for the average person. With digital, images have 100% exact the same clarity, else you get garbage on the screen.  

You will NOT see packet loss or garbage on the screen with cheap HDMI cables.  

Monster HDMI cables: $100  
    Cheap MDMI cables: $2.49  

Here's a link to Amazon HDMI (2 meter) 6 foot cable HQ 1080P 1.3b  
    And check out there 5 star rating (2811 customer reviews)  

Before you buy expensive Monster HDMI cables remember this: "There's a sucker born every minute"
  15.  permalink
    Notice asdf didn't try arguing that monster cables weren't the best?

Friends of mine decided to pay good money to have their TV installed and all their cabling run through the walls. After a few months they noticed red static noise dancing around the screen, it was subtle enough that one of them could see it and the other couldn't from normal viewing distances. Because they had the cable run though the walls they now have to pay for another installer to come out and replace the cable. You bet your ass they're using a monster cable this time instead of a cheap cable.

-"Millions of cheap HDMI cables have been sold without complaints..."
    Millions of cheap cables have been returned to Frys because they... wait for it... DIDN'T WORK. What's more unfortunate is when customers return their new blue ray players or new TVs because they think they got a defective unit when really the cable just cheap. First thing our returns department does when a TV or blue ray is returned for poor picture quality or no picture is to plug it in with a monster cable and have the customer take another look. 80% of the time it is something wrong with the TV or other equipment, but a surprising number of customers have kept their "defective" equipment when they realize it's just the cable that needs to be replaced.

William McKinley said, “I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor. It is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010
    Friends don't let friends shop at Fry's...
  16.  permalink
    I would be willing to accept that Monster has higher quality control standards in manufacturing than other manufacturers, resulting in less cables that have a defect in worksmanship or materials. However, a cable is a cable in the case of HDMI. You will not get any improved performance or quality using a Monster product. Computers and humans can't tell the difference because there is no appreciable difference. That's just the way it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010
    Guest: Two words... Packet Loss.  
    Now, I'm not going to bullshit and say that you'll have a better 1080p signal out of a four foot monster cable compared to a generic cable that's 4 feet. Put two sixteen feet cables up for comparison though. Shoot, try running 1080p at 120hz for a 3D experience and see which one looks better. How about 1080p at 240hz?  

Lol. I'll be the first to say if you're permanently installing cables that having high quality cables is a good thing. Monster fits this bill. They are without a doubt good quality cables. For runs under 4M and not permanent, most cables will perform the same on HDMI.  

However the statement that only monster cables let you run 1080p at 120 Hz or 240Hz is not factually sound. The source provides you with either 24 Hz or 60 Hz. Period, end of argument. The TV takes that 24 or 60Hz signal and up-converts it to 120 or 240Hz with motion estimation/motion compensation circuits in your TV. But this is all done on the TV, not in the source (Blu Ray, HD Cable, DVD player, etc.). So the bandwidth coming down a cable for 1080p is no more than 2.98 Gbps at 60 Hz and even less for 24 Hz sources (like true cinematic Blu Ray discs provide now). There is no 120 or 240Hz signal coming down that cable.  

Even with 3D Blu Ray discs, which provide 2 1080p frames stacked on top of each other at 24 Hz, the bandwidth doesn't exceed 6.75 Gbps. The HDMI 1.3 spec provides 10.6 Gbps, so even 1.3 cables will work with 3D Blu Ray.  

Again, I'm not knocking Monster. I've seen the results of long runs with cheap cables. Video loss, speckled image on the display, broken connectors, no image at all. But with short runs, it doesn't matter much. If I'm hooking up my home theater with short cables, I'll go buy some cheap cables. If I'm running 50ft around my living room with a permanent cable, I'll buy a Monster or similar quality cable. That's probably a run I wont want to repeat with a cable that breaks or doesn't work.  

Supporting documents and math:  
    http://blog.forret.com/2006/09/hd-720p-1080i-and-1080p/  
    http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/  

ObiWan: Friends don't let friends shop at Fry's...

And ObiWan, just go crawl in a hole somewhere and die. You never contribute anything to any thread on this site with your endless anti-Fry's dribble. No one wants you here.
  17.  permalink
    WTF i thought everything was made in CHINA???????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010
    calculon:  

And ObiWan, just go crawl in a hole somewhere and die. You never contribute anything to any thread on this site with your endless anti-Fry's dribble. No one wants you here.

FWIW, I "had" to pay a visit to the NW Houston Fry's a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for a wireless repeater to help extend the wireless range in our house. First, one would assume (and one knows what happens when one assumes) that network gear would be in the computer section. Nope...they're located with all of the "parts". Next - when looking at Fry's offering (which amounted to just the Linksys wireless repeater), no less than three Fry's employees walked by - never asking if I needed help (I probably would have said "no thank you", but you get the point).  

Finally, last time I checked, we live in a free country and there's this concept called freedom of speech. Do I dislike Fry's, how they treat their employees and their view of the customer? Yep...I'm entitled to my views and opinions just as you are. Making statements such as "go crawl in a hole somewhere and die" tells me that you might be unable to provide a well reasoned response, and can only resort to ad hominim attacks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited
    ObiWan:
    calculon:  

FWIW, I "had" to pay a visit to the NW Houston Fry's a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for a wireless repeater to help extend the wireless range in our house. First, one would assume (and one knows what happens when one assumes) that network gear would be in the computer section. Nope...they're located with all of the "parts". Next - when looking at Fry's offering (which amounted to just the Linksys wireless repeater), no less than three Fry's employees walked by - never asking if I needed help (I probably would have said "no thank you", but you get the point).  

Finally, last time I checked, we live in a free country and there's this concept called freedom of speech. Do I dislike Fry's, how they treat their employees and their view of the customer? Yep...I'm entitled to my views and opinions just as you are. Making statements such as "go crawl in a hole somewhere and die" tells me that you might be unable to provide a well reasoned response, and can only resort to ad hominim attacks.

im very surprised that he didnt say he need a shower or something that he usually says lolLas Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7632
    @ obiwan

whenever i'm in frys and shopping, i will be in aisle and have at least 3 sales people come and ask if i need anything within a few minutes-- sometimes it's almost annoying. the store you visit in texas just sounds lazy as shit, or you look like fat idiot and employees try to avoid the spew of sh!t that you may start spewing about how bad fry's is, yet you still ("had to") go there.. stfu. i'm sure you would be genuinely pissed to have decent/pleasant visit at fry's, (because you don't want to). you bring nothing to the table, and i'm sure i wouldn't be the first to tell you to stfu and kill yourself, irl or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    It's pretty easy to be an anonymous BMOC on a message board and hurl ad hominem attacks. I seriously doubt you'd take the same attitude if you met me in person.  

that being said, had one of the Fry's employees offered to help, I would have been gracious to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010
    ObiWan: Making statements such as "go crawl in a hole somewhere and die" tells me that you might be unable to provide a well reasoned response, and can only resort to ad hominim attacks.

Do you even know what "ad hominem" means? Because my response to you wasn't an ad hominem attack. It was an attack based on your past pattern of useless comments.  

But whatever. This rabbit hole is just derailing this thread of pure gold information. /s
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    ASDF and Calculon (where's your avatar, calc?) have the right idea about the cables.  

Guest:  
    3. Buying Monster supports Monster (a US based business), your local retailer, and your salesman.

I can support my local retailer and salesman a whole lot more when I don't spend an extra hundred dollars on a fxxking HDMI cable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010 edited
    Yeah with the extra savings you can get a better TV. The $100 Monster cable won't do shit!
  18.  permalink
    "Millions of cheap cables have been returned to Frys because they... wait for it... DIDN'T WORK."

That's bullshit. I work in components and we sell hundreds of the $7.99 cables and they NEVER get returned. Monster gets returned because people go home and read threads like this. I have cheap ass HDMI cables on all my stuff. I get the BEST picture quality. I would have to guess that you are some kind of mole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010 edited
    Monsters Cable market share is a clear measurement of stupidity.  

You get the same quality from a $10, vs the $200 Monster HDMI cable.
    •  
      CommentAuthornfl
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010
    Believe it or not, a friend of mine buys monster just becasue the cables looks nice. I can't remember how many times i've tried to explain to him that you can't see the cables from the front.