Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I would love an explanation of what the buyer does. Are they at home office the whole time? Do they drive around to different stores. Do they meet with manufactures? Do they negotiate prices? Do they do what walmart does and get people who want to sell things to Fry's into conference rooms and agree on a price, decide to sell the product, etc?  

Also bonus question:  
    Who does the customer service manager manage? The returns employees? Front check out?
  2.  permalink
    ^ I am not Player X, but I know which "sections" of the stores the CSDM focuses on: FCO, Returns, and Café. Now at the same time, the CSDM is 3rd in line at the store, and just as Player X has mentioned, their pay structure is dependent by sales of the whole store. For these reasons, the CSDM has a very large influence over other departments as well.
  3.  permalink
    Any idea when Fry's is going to open a new store? I kind of want to be part of the team that goes and does that. =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlayer X
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    Illusion of Progress:  

Making good money at Fry's depends on where you are at. For instance, the computer manager in California makes the same exact salary as the computer manager in Texas. The Texas manager makes a great living off of that salary, the California manager is below average. If you are in any state other then California, then yes it is worth it. If you are in California, it depends.  

Here is what happened to be. Having just graduated college, I was a little lazy and didn't know what I wanted to do with myself. I got a job at Fry's because it paid my bills. I didn't expect to be here that long. I worked my way up and started to make fantastic money. The hours didn't bother me and the holidays didn't bother me at all. However, I met a girl and we got married and started a family. What was convenient in the past is not convenient anymore. It is now a burden to work retail hours. The holidays never go away and the hours don't reduce. When everyone is out enjoying there three day holiday weekend, we are working. When everyone is enjoying a four day Thanksgiving weekend, we are eating and running so we can get some rest before black friday. Christmas isn't even a Christmas to me anymore. So like I said, when I was single, it didn't matter as much. Now, I envy my wifes job where she works 8 to 5 and has Saturday and Sunday off.  

So my advice to you is, finish off college. Work at Fry's for as long as you have to, until you are done with college. Become a manager and learn from that experience. You do learn an awful lot and the experience is key. Then, go get a job that works 8 to 5. Don't let your life fall into the retail world. You don't want to be the one to miss your kids soccer game because you have to close, or can't go watch Sunday football because you work during that time.  

No, you don't need a college degree to be a manager. And even though I have a degree, it didn't help me become a better manager. However, get your college degree and use it to better your life in the future. Think about ten years from now and whether or not you want to still be working on Black Friday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlayer X
    Frys employee:  

Buyers:  
    -set the prices and verbiage for the ads  
    -deal with all the rebates and backlash from ads (ADORS, out of stocks)  
    -make schematics  
    -meet with vendors for deals or new products  
    -make buys and purchases  
    etc.  

There days are filled  

Here are the people on the Customer Service Managers payroll  
    -All C.S. supervisors  
    -Cust. Svc. Associates  
    -Customer Relations supervisor and associates  
    -Customer Service Sales Associates (The PIC)  
    -Cafe Supervisor and Associates  

The customer service manager is in charge of all Front check out and customer relations and returns. While the returns associates are not on the customer service managers payroll, the CSDM is still in charge of the returns area, thus in charge of these associates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlayer X
    Due to some private complications, Fry's hasn't opened any new stores recently. However, it is believed that these dilemmas are now over.  

The next store will be opening in Arizona. We don't have an exact date yet. I am not sure if the location is being kept private at this point, so I do not want to reveal the city.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Player X: Due to some private complications, Fry's hasn't opened any new stores recently. However, it is believed that these dilemmas are now over.  

The next store will be opening in Arizona. We don't have an exact date yet. I am not sure if the location is being kept private at this point, so I do not want to reveal the city.

just spill the beans... ;)Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  4.  permalink
    Sweet, I'm highly interested in participating on a A-Team, although I'm not sure if my position will allow me to. Even though I am not a commissioned associate, my hours are not flexible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworkerbee
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010
    When will a store open in Hawaii?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    workerbee: When will a store open in Hawaii?

Why would you want to ruin paradise?
  5.  permalink
    ObiWan = pompus jackass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfryguy
    ObiWan:

I take offense to that. Hawaii's not so bad. :face-smile:
  6.  permalink
    Player X: Due to some private complications, Fry's hasn't opened any new stores recently. However, it is believed that these dilemmas are now over.  

You mean bailing out Omar and his vegas debts.
  7.  permalink
    I would have figured it was the wonderful divorce one of the Fry's brothers is going through that would hold up any new store openings.
  8.  permalink
    I am getting sent to the returns area before im off to car audio sales. The SM asked all the new recruits if we knew how we get paid. I dont get it. We get paid hourly up in returns and commission only in car audio. he said that wasnt right and we had a week to get an answer. I dont really get it. Am i missing something? How long do you stay at returns?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010
    fryguy:
    ObiWan:

I take offense to that. Hawaii's not so bad. :face-smile:

My point exactly. Putting Fry's in Hawaii would ruin Hawaii.
  9.  permalink
    Returns pay is based off of "Customer Satisfaction %". To roughly get that number, pull out a 99 report and take the REF $ and divide it by NET SALES on the page that has Grand Total for all Dept. Then multiply that number by 100. Take that new number subtract that from 100. That is roughly your customer sat. % They take that for the entire quarter and then they'll determine your pay on a chart that they have on the operations web page; the chart is under Customer Service Sales.

Audio sales is definitely commission. Commission is pretty simple, you sell whichever has it; home office determines the commission associates get on a product. As far as how home office determines the pay of a product, there are many variables such as the status of the product, if there are a lot in stock (they may change), is it on sale, is the product HIGH GP?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlayer X
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    6-2 Cookiemaker: I thought you quit? How are you back?  

Guest saved me a lot of typing. You do make hourly, like you said, it just changes every quarter.  
    The lowest hourly rate you can make is $9.50 per hour. That is if your Cust Sat % is anything below 84%. Then, for every percentage point higheryour customer sat% is, your pay will go up 50 cents. So 85% will be $10, 86% $10.50, and so on. The highest you can get is $15.50.  

The reason you are called Customer Service Sales Associates is because Fry's considers you sales associates because you are their to save sales. The more sales you save, the higher your customer sat percentage. Fry's philosophy is, the customer came in to the store to get a product that they needed, so if they end up returninig that product for some reason, then they are not satisfied. It is your job to keep them satisfied.  

Ask your MIC to print up the CS Sales Pay Rate Guidelines form to get a bettr look on the percentages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlayer X
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    Guest was right, it was not bailing out Omar. Although never confirmed, the rumors around the office were because of the separation. I'm not giving out any information that wasn't already known hear, it just seems as if this was the reason why no more stores opened up.  

http://oc-divorce.typepad.com/california_divorce_and_fa/2006/05/divorce_battle_.html
  10.  permalink
    so what ever happened to Omar? i checked the papers they were up to date til June...then i haven't hear a thing..
  11.  permalink
    Thanks guest and X. And haha. I am many people. :face-devil-grin:
  12.  permalink
    "Fry's philosophy is, the customer came in to the store to get a product that they needed, so if they end up returninig that product for some reason, then they are not satisfied. It is your job to keep them satisfied."

Wow, never thought of that. ### Doesn't Cust Sat still go down if they do a return & get store credit? Technically, store credit is a "saved sale" since the customer is going to purchase something else within the store. ###

MIC is a tough position: If you are too tough, you may lose customers (and possibly get demoted). If you are too lenient on returns, your pay goes down (and you probably get demoted anyways). Finding that balance is a tough journey.
  13.  permalink
    tru.dat
  14.  permalink
    A true no win situation.
  15.  permalink
    Does customer sat % still go down if the sale is saved with store credit?
    Does customer sat % go down on "returned" loaners?
  16.  permalink
    Customer question... Does the associate benefit if I return an item and take a store credit rather than have the amount credited back to my credit card?
  17.  permalink
    ^^^ LOL The only way an associate would keep his commission is if it is DEDUCTED from your store credit... Which would never happen.
  18.  permalink
    Sorry for the poor question. Actually, that's not what I meant. Does whether I take a refund as a store credit or as a refund back to my credit card affect a CS associates customer satisfaction rating?
  19.  permalink
    god damnit I hate it when you motherfuckers return shit out of package and policy and expect us to take it back. Esp the old people who think we should accommodate their every wish for 5$
  20.  permalink
    Player X, you are very knowledgeable and I appreciate the time you spend informing us about how the company works as a whole. However, I have a few questions for you; why do sales associates take hits on LPG's? Why did this policy go into effect immediately following the transition to sales-associates going to straight-commission? What are your thoughts on the LPG procedure?

Personally, I don't find the situation to be fair to the salesman at all. We work very hard trying to get the customers off of the negative items. When the new ad comes out and we discover that our previous "Go-To" item has gone on sale, we always end up clenching our teeth hoping that our customers do not look at the adds. In particular, I sell a lot of high-end desktops. In the last seven days I have sold 15 Velocity Micro desktops of various models. The one I'm most concerned with is the $1500 model. They are W status and until Monday they were paying 80, now they are on ad. Considering I sold six of these last week (480 commission on just those items alone), that means I could take 480 in LPG's alone. If I spend an hour pushing an item that is high margin and equally high commission, why is it fair to me to take a hit because someone put the item on sale, when I had absolutely no say in this? I am told to push a product, so I do. Then more times than not, it bites me in the ass due to it going on ad shortly after.

Is there any talk of fixing the LPG system so it does not hit the salesman? We do our jobs, and the customers are keeping the products we are selling. They always want the lowest price possible, so I do not feel that we should be losing our very hard earned commission due to the store putting it out there at a lower price after I've sold them. If the customer is keeping the products I sell, that should indicate that I have done my job correctly. I don't see how anyone can justify taking my hard-earned money away for a decision made by someone else in the company. I can tolerate hits for returns, mostly that was due to lack of qualification or overselling. Losing my money when the customer actually keeps the product though? I find that to be completely unreasonable.

I'd like to hear your input on this subject.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    No comm on LPG's is poor business ethics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Just dont sell shit that ever go on sale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010
    Generally, it's the items that pay that go on sale.
  21.  permalink
    They do get commission on LPG items. It's just reduced by the amount of GP% loss of the discount.

This was put in place due to way some people were abusing the system. Instead of adding discounts (price matching competitors, bad signs, sticker discounts, etc.) to the customer's quote before the transaction occured and taking a hit to their GP and commission they were ringing the items up at full price then walking the customer to CSS and having them perform an LPG
  22.  permalink
    "Customer question... Does the associate benefit if I return an item and take a store credit rather than have the amount credited back to my credit card?"

They want you to use a store credit because they have to pay the credit card company a percentage of every transaction. If you spend $2000 on a CC it costs Fry's $40-$50 just to process that charge. If you use a store credit it costs them nothing and they gain interest on the money that's on that credit.
  23.  permalink
    "Why the hell is it sooooo important to sell wireless installs."

1. Profit. The store is getting $100 for $20-$30 in labor and $10 in commission.
    2. The SM gets a nice bonus every quarter if the store sells more than 182 installs.
  24.  permalink
    How does the $60 netgear rebate factory into that calculation? There is no way that $60 check is coming from netgear because we sell so many $50 netgear routers with the install service that if that was the case netgear is PAYING customers $10 to buy there routers.
  25.  permalink
    "How does the $60 netgear rebate factory into that calculation?"

How many customers do you talk to before one buys an installation? How many of those people do you recommend Netgear for first because of the rebate/install offer? Do you have an unpaid endcap to push Netgear installs? They're getting their moneys worth in advertising.
  26.  permalink
    Guest: "Why the hell is it sooooo important to sell wireless installs."  

1. Profit. The store is getting $100 for $20-$30 in labor and $10 in commission.  
    2. The SM gets a nice bonus every quarter if the store sells more than 182 installs.

question, how did you get the number 182
  27.  permalink
    Sm's do not get a bonus on installs. number 182 is the goal of installs per week (14) times the number of weeks in a quarter (13). 13*14 = 182
  28.  permalink
    your a dum ass guest if you dont think SMs get a bonuses for reaching wireless goals
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrostbytes89
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    Okay player x lets play. Explain to me how in the world this commission change does NOT save the company money. They went from having to pay hourly AND commission, to only paying commission. But thats not where it stops. Not ONLY does the company only have to pay commission, they must only pay on items with 20% GROSS PROFIT or MORE!! This effectively means, Fry's isn't spending a dime on a single sales man. This is obviously because Fry's sales men only make money when the company makes significantly more money on their respective sales. Don't start by saying the company is paying more commission than they were before because that's obvious. On paper that's what it would look like because more items offer commission. Just because more commission is being payed does not mean associates are being payed the same. Furthermore, more labor dollars are being spent does NOT have anything to do with the sales men who are not being payed hourly! Before the change Fry's selected items that payed commission, now its on all items with 20% gross profit or more so yeah more commission is payed. That doesn't change the ethics or morality of the decision or the way they're being justified.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 571
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    Um I get paid on notebooks and desktops that don't even come close to 20% profit. On accessories yeah that makes sense cause I am now motivated to attach more products. Out of my deapartment of 15 salesmen 12 of us are making more now than last year.
  29.  permalink
    Do you have mike millars email? frys might have a lawsuit in their hands
  30.  permalink
    why would you want Mike's email? Surely you know he is not the most important person out there. Get your priorities straight first.
  31.  permalink
    Holy christ, LPG commission. Let me rant:  

I spent the time with my customer to sell them a product that is NOT on sale and that pays FULL commission. When the product goes on sale a week later and the customer comes in to get their LPG, I should NOT have to pay a FUCKING PENALTY. I sold the item at full price, I should get the full commission. I don't fucking care if the store loses money on this, I shouldn't be the one getting the shaft.  

I fucking hate this LPG bullshit. God damn.
  32.  permalink
    I'm a customer, love it when I can come back and get a LPG, and I agree with particleman. He's getting screwed.
  33.  permalink
    "That doesn't change the ethics or morality of the decision or the way they're being justified."

Fry's is not a non-profit nor a charity. They're goal is making money. This is a way for them to get people to sell more while complying with state and federal wage laws. You seem to be under the impression that businesses should give people money just for being there.

If the person is incapable of making minimum wage with the current pay structure they need to get the hell out of sales. Many of the computer salesmen are averaging $20-$30/hour with the current system. To top it off they can't be scheduled before opening nor after closing (no inventory duty).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    This company will be sued by a Class Act Law Suit. I've been reading these forums for days, and worked at Fry's Electronics for three years. The way they do business is completely shady, unethical, unmoral, and down right disgusting. All it is going to take is one person to completely snap over this LPG, or how sale items pay ZERO dollars in commission, and force the employee to work without being compensated with a commission.  

Not to mention in store 43, how people clock out to not go over the 5 hour lunch break rule, just to come back to work off the clock, and filling out retro edits to cover worked time off the clock. You know because that isn't illegal or anything ( and the department managers ) allowing it to happen.  

If you guys really are pissed off at Fry's, just call The Department of Labor. They will handle this situation. Anything that is considered unethical, they will compensate you, and penalize the company. I'm surprised the employees haven't gotten sick of upper management by now, and haven't called the Union. Boy, would Randy Fry shit a brick if the Union got involved. I bet Fry's would be out of business in a heart beat for how the company has been ran for years. I would LOVE to see the fines. Player X, For your information. I have a degree in Human Resource. You know damn well, I'm speaking the truth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    Internet justice, love it. Get them to stop shutting down the bathrooms when they suspect someone of shoplifting, while you're at it. Pretty sure that's illegal.