Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAnon21871
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010 edited
    *sighs* I am wondering if I need to be a pushy, dishonest salesman in order to actually make ends meet at Fry's. It seems that all of the other associates are secretly (as in they will NEVER admit to it) being dishonest to the customers, and stretching the truth about our services.. and are making shitloads more commission than me. They are selling the performance service contracts cause they're stretching the truth about what they cover and don't cover and are being real vague about it. Meanwhile I can't sell them if my life depended on it. I rarely make my PSC goals.  

I know they are doing this because I check in with the service department every now and then and ask them about how the computer department is selling our PSC's. They constantly complain that our salemen are stretching the truth to outright lying about what our PSC's cover, in order to make a sale. I do not want to make life at service miserable, and I want to be a good person, by not lying to customers.  

I really don't want to be a pushy, dishonest salesman, but I really need to make ends meet. I take pride in the fact that what little I can sell, is done through honesty, to the best of my knowledge. I really do not want to be an asshole cause I don't want the customer to be pissed off at me. I have had a good record of not having customers angry with me in the few years I have been with this company. I would like to keep that record.  

What do I do guys?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Overnight Stocking Crew & Better Ordering of Inventory
    Why does Frys management make up the dumbest reasons to fire people?
    Best Buy refuses to honor price; cancels order
    Going on probation tommorow. Need help?
    I Need Contact info for the Burbank Store
  2.  permalink
    ima a very honest salesman and will call anyone out when they lie and bend the truth. I know my products, I know when a customer asks me a question how to answer it, and I know how to fast track a sale that is not going anywhere. I still make usually enough to survive and it ends up usually still being in the top 5. BUT yes, if you wanna make serious cash you have to lie. like most people will say what you dont say doesnt hurt you. Be as vague as possible when you explain the warranty. I usually tell people line by line what it covers and what it doesnt. Most guys will say oh it covers any problem you have. WTf.. but whatever I still make more then some of them. Know your products, know what to sell ad who to sell to! Gl man, if anything use this to move ahead and get the fuck out of frys, That place is a shit hole if you wanna have a serious career, or move to home office even though that aint really serious shit.
  3.  permalink
    I had this problem when I was in Components sales.  

I would probably pick up a book on selling techniques. I know there's a world of literature on how to present products accurately while appealing enough to the customer to make the sale, and from what I've heard, they can be extremely effective. Unfortunately, Fry's doesn't offer a lot of (any) sales training, and none of the sales people would ever utilize TK and tell you about it because they wouldn't want you encroaching on "their piece of the pie." =\
  4.  permalink
    Anon21871: *sighs* I am wondering if I need to be a pushy, dishonest salesman in order to actually make ends meet at Fry's. It seems that all of the other associates are secretly (as in they will NEVER admit to it) being dishonest to the customers, and stretching the truth about our services.. and are making shitloads more commission than me. They are selling the performance service contracts cause they're stretching the truth about what they cover and don't cover and are being real vague about it. Meanwhile I can't sell them if my life depended on it. I rarely make my PSC goals.  

I know they are doing this because I check in with the service department every now and then and ask them about how the computer department is selling our PSC's. They constantly complain that our salemen are stretching the truth to outright lying about what our PSC's cover, in order to make a sale. I do not want to make life at service miserable, and I want to be a good person, by not lying to customers.  

I really don't want to be a pushy, dishonest salesman, but I really need to make ends meet. I take pride in the fact that what little I can sell, is done through honesty, to the best of my knowledge. I really do not want to be an asshole cause I don't want the customer to be pissed off at me. I have had a good record of not having customers angry with me in the few years I have been with this company. I would like to keep that record.  

What do I do guys?

Well I'm a former service Tech and believe me if all the sales associates had to spend two weeks in service. They would either quit or would stop lying then Frys would fire them. I know a lot of honest sales associates that switched to Accessory Sales when everything went commission because they just couldn't lie that much. Can you sell the PSC without lying? Yes, but it is a lot harder and takes more time.  

Service is a nightmare wrapped up in chaos and everyday you aren't in that department thank whatever deity you believe in. At the same time understand that Service isn't like the sales floor they don't have the luxury of morals/ethics. They have the PSC and that is it and if they violate it they it is their jobs. However, the smart people in the Service Department know there are gray areas to help them out. You as a sales guy can learn the PSC gray areas from the smart service techs and use that to your advantage. Try to have lunch with the Sup2, Service MT's, or the IS Tech and ask them about the PSC. You will get lots of b*#@hing but once you get through that you should find enough of the gray areas to pitch to customers. Just understand you'll have to sort through all the rage at customers and other sales associates to find what you need.
Add your comments