Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    Today, I faxed off a HUGE quote to a company. It took a long time to go through so I left it sending the 9 pages I had sent, because I get nervous when I stand for more than 1/2 a second at Fried. I came back after lunch to grab my confirmation page. There were a couple of other pages in the fax machine when I left. There were no pages when I came back. I asked the ASM if he had seen the page or took the other pages. The reaction I had expected was to the effect of, "No I didn't see any confirmation page. I didn't take it ask..." Instead I got, "Did I see a confirmation page from the fax you sent?" He just stared at me repeating the same question I asked him in a question directed towards me. I explained the situation to him but he just continued to stare at me like I was stupid. After a minute he told me "No I didn't, ask the SM." really smug. I felt TOTALLY disrespected.FML  

I want to hear what "guest", or Player X, has to say about this. I don't feel comfortable bringing this up at work.  

Open Door Policy? I think not.  
    Anti-Retaliatory Policy? Not likely.  

I feel I WILL get fired. Like bringing up the fact when they made us stay until 1'oclock before MOPAR. They made us clock out for thirty minutes and clock back in. Other associates are scared to leave to get something to eat. I told them, and I quote the handbook, "Meal periods are unpaid time, and associates are permitted to leave the building." "Rest and meals are intended to provide associates with an opportunity for rest and relaxation and must be taken away from work areas. Associates are relived of their duties and are not permitted to perform any work while on rest or meal periods." Management, through intimidation, tells them they cannot leave.  

I have been with the company for almost 2 years and use to think management was just full of "empty promises." Now I KNOW they're full of LIES!  

I conclude by saying I feel very fortunate to work in the department at the store I work at. I love my DM and Sup1. I feel my Sup1 DOES stick up for us. If I have a question I say, "Hey how come this this or that?", he/she immediately jumps on the phone with the buyer or other department manager and tells them "WTF?" I get a response within minutes. Although middle management in my department comes across like they have my best interests in mind, I don't feel so from upper management.  
    /endrant
  2.  permalink
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that maybe things really arent as black and white as the company leads u to think. I actually know if u open ur mouth ur gonna get it. For sure. With anything.
  3.  permalink

Anti-Retaliatory Policy? Not likely.  

Yesterday I was pulled aside and asked about this post. I was told to "Watch yourself."  
    Sound like a threat?
  4.  permalink
    Who told you to "Watch yourself."? Was it a supervisor / department manager / assistant - store manager ?
  5.  permalink
    DM
  6.  permalink
    Which store are you in?  

How lower-level associates are treated is often a hit-or-miss issue, depending entirely on who your manager happens to be. Often, upper-level management (SM/ASM, sometimes CSDM) feel they shouldn't have to deal with your average associate and instead chew out a DM when one of their associates need to be counseled.  

As far as what you post here, the only legitimate reason you could be fired for posting here is for releasing company secrets (vendor relations, product costs, pay rates, etc.), and even then unless you publicly announce your identity, they can't prove it is you.
    •  
      CommentAuthornfl
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010
    Could you get in trouble for saying what the commission on a particular item is? Since I'm not sure, i won't name it specifically. About a year and a half ago, there was a 73 inch DLP tv that was priced at $2,999.99. The tv payed $200 dollars. One week it went on "sale" for $2,999.00. Because of this huge 99 cent price drop, Fry's cut the commission on it down to $30. That's a $170 cut in commission. I was all excited till I looked at the POS...
  7.  permalink
    according to the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) management are not allowed to bring up your life outside of your work, including making posts on internet sites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010
    nfl: Could you get in trouble for saying what the commission on a particular item is? Since I'm not sure, i won't name it specifically. About a year and a half ago, there was a 73 inch DLP tv that was priced at $2,999.99. The tv payed $200 dollars. One week it went on "sale" for $2,999.00. Because of this huge 99 cent price drop, Fry's cut the commission on it down to $30. That's a $170 cut in commission. I was all excited till I looked at the POS...

Typical Fry's...
  8.  permalink
    They will find another way to get you so it looks like its not related to this. The problem with higher store management at Fry's is that none of them are qualified to be in their positions. People go to school for 4-6 years to be in many of the positions that in frys, average joes get to and think they are god. The whole upper management makes me sick...
  9.  permalink
    Everything in the handbook is confidential
  10.  permalink
    I personally call the receivers of my fax, was there any contact number you had or any other methods of contacting to confirm the fax being sent out and received?
  11.  permalink
    If the handbook is confidential you post a copy so I can all have one?? I like to have confidential stuff.
  12.  permalink
    Me too.
  13.  permalink
    As soon as its posted Fry's would sue the shit out of this site lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    It's not like there's anything bad in the handbook... Be on time, dress nice, help the customer, don't be retarded, et cetera.
    •  
      CommentAuthornfl
    I'm pretty sure that the website is protected from being sued over stuff like that. Fry'sforum.com isn't liable over what people post on it, in the same way that the ISP(s) aren't liable for what people do over their networks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    Dude, just walk into your Store Managers office and tell him/her how you feel, and what is going on. Tell you are not filling out any written statement, because you do not want to be involved in anything past this, but tell her what is going on and how you feel. I would record the conversation with your phone, so you have proof you had the conversation, and see if anything gets done about it. If you are retaliated against, you have a law suit. Simple and plain. There are times I have SCREAMED at my supervisors, and my department manager. You just got to know they can't do crap. They may, may you think they are all so powerful, but when you look at the SM and the DM dead in the eyes, and show them you mean business, and before you speak just put them in their place RIGHT from the get go, and say " There is an open door policy here at Fry's, and I'm just stating my opinion. I have my district managers e-mail, and I will be getting in touch with him, if I feel nothing is being resolved. I'm tired of the unprofessionalism, and I want a resolution." If you say it just like that, the SM will immediately pamper you, and your department manager won't say a word to you. You have to know your RIGHTS and POWER as an employee. If you go in there as educated and confident, your going to get what you want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010
    sbr: Dude, just walk into your Store Managers office and tell him/her how you feel, and what is going on. Tell you are not filling out any written statement, because you do not want to be involved in anything past this, but tell her what is going on and how you feel. I would record the conversation with your phone, so you have proof you had the conversation, and see if anything gets done about it. If you are retaliated against, you have a law suit. Simple and plain. There are times I have SCREAMED at my supervisors, and my department manager. You just got to know they can't do crap. They may, may you think they are all so powerful, but when you look at the SM and the DM dead in the eyes, and show them you mean business, and before you speak just put them in their place RIGHT from the get go, and say " There is an open door policy here at Fry's, and I'm just stating my opinion. I have my district managers e-mail, and I will be getting in touch with him, if I feel nothing is being resolved. I'm tired of the unprofessionalism, and I want a resolution." If you say it just like that, the SM will immediately pamper you, and your department manager won't say a word to you. You have to know your RIGHTS and POWER as an employee. If you go in there as educated and confident, your going to get what you want.

And you know this because you have an associates degree in some-thingy and a bachelors in what-ya-call-it...  

LOL. This dude makes me laugh.  

Yeah, run in there and scream at them. Tell them you mean business. Hahahahaha... great plan dude.  

According to this clown, the protip of life: Screaming at your boss makes you sucessful at your job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010 edited
    calculon:
    sbr: Dude, just walk into your Store Managers office and tell him/her how you feel, and what is going on. Tell you are not filling out any written statement, because you do not want to be involved in anything past this, but tell her what is going on and how you feel. I would record the conversation with your phone, so you have proof you had the conversation, and see if anything gets done about it. If you are retaliated against, you have a law suit. Simple and plain. There are times I have SCREAMED at my supervisors, and my department manager. You just got to know they can't do crap. They may, may you think they are all so powerful, but when you look at the SM and the DM dead in the eyes, and show them you mean business, and before you speak just put them in their place RIGHT from the get go, and say " There is an open door policy here at Fry's, and I'm just stating my opinion. I have my district managers e-mail, and I will be getting in touch with him, if I feel nothing is being resolved. I'm tired of the unprofessionalism, and I want a resolution." If you say it just like that, the SM will immediately pamper you, and your department manager won't say a word to you. You have to know your RIGHTS and POWER as an employee. If you go in there as educated and confident, your going to get what you want.

And you know this because you have an associates degree in some-thingy and a bachelors in what-ya-call-it...  

LOL. This dude makes me laugh.  

Yeah, run in there and scream at them. Tell them you mean business. Hahahahaha... great plan dude.  

According to this clown, the protip of life: Screaming at your boss makes you sucessful at your job.

Do you have an inability to correctly read and interpret? I said just know your power and your rights as an employee. Never ONCE did I EVER tell him to scream at his Sup/DM/SM. I just saying things have gotten to that point with them, because I know my rights as an employee. You must have the IQ of a monkey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    sbr:There are times I have SCREAMED at my supervisors, and my department manager.

So apparently we need to do what you say, but not what you (claim to) do? This is the surefire plan for success.  

Again, its probably your highly qualified and valuable degree in Human Resources that taught you this.... /s  

:face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010 edited
    calculon:
    sbr:There are times I have SCREAMED at my supervisors, and my department manager.

So apparently we need to do what you say, but not what you (claim to) do? This is the surefire plan for success.  

Again, its probably your highly qualified and valuable degree in Human Resources that taught you this.... /s  

:face-plain:

If you want to be a forum tool, and question my professionalism about arguments I have had with supervisors and department managers then go ahead. It isn't going to effect me anyway shape or form. I was using it as an example. Not as a a plan for success. I know my rights as an employee, and I'm simply letting everybody know, that if it gets down to that ( yelling ) then it gets down to that. Do not let management bully you around. Fight for your rights. Arguments happen. I'm sorry that you have no knowledge of your rights, and you have no education outside of your workplace. I'm not saying ANYWHERE at all, that screaming/yelling is right in the workplace, because it isn't. I'm just stating to stand your ground and know your rights?  

However; if you want to mock every word I say, and be a troll to these forums, and a complete tool, go ahead. Ignorance is bliss, and for you, I just feel bad that you think your hot shit. Grow up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    What's a "forum tool"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    Dude. I'm laughing at your degree in "Human Relations". Could there be a more worthless degree? Maybe anthropology. (They seem the same.)  

And I'm not sure what your daddy taught you growing up, but I hope it wasn't "know your rights and if it gets to yelling then have at it with your bosses."  

That wasn't what I was taught. I learned to let my performance speak for myself, be responsible for my own actions, and be respectful to my bosses and my coworkers in their own right. Arguments and disagreements do happen with coworkers and management, but when it comes down to it your boss is your boss. His decisions are final. The beauty of the American workspace is that if you don't like it, you can go work somewhere else. "Knowing your rights" and "if it comes to yelling then so be it" don't work and will never work in a real job. Good management will never "bully" you around. And if you believe your management is reverting to that, then you have the right to seek another job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    calculon: Dude. I'm laughing at your degree in "Human Relations". Could there be a more worthless degree? Maybe anthropology. (They seem the same.)  

And I'm not sure what your daddy taught you growing up, but I hope it wasn't "know your rights and if it gets to yelling then have at it with your bosses."  

That wasn't what I was taught. I learned to let my performance speak for myself, be responsible for my own actions, and be respectful to my bosses and my coworkers in their own right. Arguments and disagreements do happen with coworkers and management, but when it comes down to it your boss is your boss. His decisions are final. The beauty of the American workspace is that if you don't like it, you can go work somewhere else. "Knowing your rights" and "if it comes to yelling then so be it" don't work and will never work in a real job. Good management will never "bully" you around. And if you believe your management is reverting to that, then you have the right to seek another job.

Calculon congrats on speaking the obvious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010
    That your degree is worthless? Yep, I got that one dead on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcyberdogg
    Here's my epic rant, from an old blog.  

http://fryssuck.notlong.com  

In summation, I hated working with management who treated me like crap, and upper management threw up a feeble investigation, which prompted me to quit and walked out with the middle finger towards Fry's Electronics "LP" 'goons'. I think my blow-out is legendary at that location.  

Good news, after my written complaints about shitty treatment that led to feeble investigation that led me to walk out, the dickhead department manager had been transferred to California location, which prompted a few others (particularly a co-worker on his coattail) to quit, because they slaved under his supervision and wanted to get promoted to better-paying positions. And upper management head of the store had been transferred to California shortly after I quit, as well.  

Revenge is a dish best served cold, with a fist with the middle finger extended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    calculon: That your degree is worthless? Yep, I got that one dead on.

Do you have any clue how much Human Resource Managers get paid? You are a jackass. Just stop talking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    sbr:

Do you have any clue how much Human Resource Managers get paid? You are a jackass. Just stop talking.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Human_Resources_%28HR%29_Manager/Salary  

$46 - 72k? So a Fry's DM makes more than you? Got it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    calculon:
    sbr:

Those numbers show no relevance to what I was saying at all. You said Human Resource Managers are worthless. Human Resource Managers can make ANYWHERE from 30k-100K's of dollars. Depending the company. Does it matter where I fall into that brackett? No it doesn't. But I can tell you this, I do work a company that is MUCH bigger then Fry's Electronics, and every single Human Resource Manager in my office makes more then 45k, which means we are high middle class. I don't know about you, but anything 45k+ is a pretty good living to me. Got anything else you would like to mention calculon, because you seem so determined to undermine me, that its quite pathetic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    sbr:
    calculon:
    sbr:

Those numbers show no relevance to what I was saying at all. You said Human Resource Managers are worthless. Human Resource Managers can make ANYWHERE from 30k-100K's of dollars. Depending the company. Does it matter where I fall into that brackett? No it doesn't. But I can tell you this, I do work a company that is MUCH bigger then Fry's Electronics, and every single Human Resource Manager in my office makes more then 45k, which means we are high middle class. I don't know about you, but anything 45k+ is a pretty good living to me. Got anything else you would like to mention calculon, because you seem so determined to undermine me, that its quite pathetic.

Some aren't in it for the money....

Catbert.png
    Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    sbr:  

Lol, enjoy your "high middle class" while all of my salesmen make $20k more than you per year.  

I don't have to undermine you buddy, your claims at legitimacy via a Human Resource degree do that for me. Again, someone please jump in and name 5 degrees more worthless than Human Resources. I'll start with Anthropology... maybe History... any other takers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    On what basis do you determine whether a degree is worthless. Anthropology transcends multiple disciplines - biology, cultural, sociological, linguistics, and is the foundation for archeology. Without a proper understanding of history, people, societies, countries run the risk of repeating the same blunders. Additionally, without a proper understanding of American history, you run the risk of not having an appreciation for what this country is built upon. Additionally, you run the risk of revisionism - whereby a select few "progressives" redefine and rewrite history - taking out pertinent facts to advance their own agenda.  

As to a degree in human resources, keep in mind that companies need properly educated/trained HR managers to keep their corporate arse out of hot water.  

I understand that you might be making more than what a HR manager makes, but how long will that job last? How many 15, 20, or 25 year employees (other than Randy, John and Kathy) does Fry's have?
    •  
      CommentAuthornfl
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010
    If we are using the definition of knowledge/enlightenment to decide which degrees are worthless, then most all of them have some worth. It really just depends on what you want to do with that degree. If we are using the definition of being able land a job, then The 10 Most Worthless College Majors would probably be:  

http://www.holytaco.com/2008/06/03/the-10-most-worthless-college-majors/  

I would also probably throw journalism into that list, because only 1/8 people that get a degree in journalism actually get a job within that field.  

Again it just depends on what it is that you want to do. Is a HR degree as prestigious as say a engineering degree? No of course not. But I wouldn't say that it is completely worthless solely because you can't expect to make $100k a year from it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010
    Guys just ignore Calculon, he is an inconsiderate prick with no life. He trolls these forums hoping to get under peoples' skin. All he attempts to do. Just ignore him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorredshift
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010
    My Sup1... A total tool.  
    My DM... Just doesn't do anything and takes off and no one sees him for over an hour.  
    Assistant Store Manger... Laughs at your face and doesn't do a thing  

I go straight to my Store Manger. He doesn't seem to have a problem with me and gets stuff done for me right then and there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    That sucks. I'm fairly new at my store but, so far, the thing I'm the most thankful for is that everyone in my department seems to get along great. My only real gripe is that we have a time clock from hell and the fact that we use software that couldn't be more inefficient and time consuming to use. Hopefully when they finally break me in to thinking entirely inside the box, they'll promote me to a position where I can make changes, but won't because I'm used to the way things are.  
    :face-smile:
  14.  permalink
    My Sup1... A total tool.
    My DM... Just doesn't do anything and takes off and no one sees him for over an hour.
    Assistant Store Manger... Laughs at your face and doesn't do a thing

I go straight to my Store Manger. He doesn't seem to have a problem with me and gets stuff done for me right then and there.

SECOND