Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    What is Fry's policy for checking returns before putting them back on the shelf? I find it hard to believe every motherboard is tested, every video card, yada, yada, yada... And yet I see more "open box" stickers at Frys than ever. The other day I went to buy 2 items at Fry's and could not find ONE item that did not have an open box sticker on it....one item had 6 units on the shelf, all with the stickers on them.  

Altough I've never worked in a retail store, I have worked in distribution warehouses for 2 large retailers.... and both had a policy to never return anything to the shelf, and had a seperate department to sort through returns and either ship back to the manufacturer for credit or sell as salvage.  

Now while I understand that some items are returned because the customer bought the wrong item and such....I know many are returned for being defective. Is there a criteria for returning to the shelves? I personally won't buy anything with with an "opened" sticker on it. I can also recall once about 5 yrs ago when I purchased a vid card at Fry's shrink wrapped with no sticker on the box, only to open it and find a defective card, no software and an old rolled up copy of a pc gamer magazine in the box. Boy was I pissed.....
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    A few questions about leaving Fry's
    Questions about Fry's PSC
    So what questions annoy you the most about the customer?
    Question about TV returns?
    How to best file a complaint about store management
  2.  permalink
    Every return is open and inspected before it is returned. I'm sure there are still mistakes but that's how it is.
  3.  permalink
    Regardless of whether its opened or not, I'd never personall buy anything that was returned but that's just me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    Policy? What policy! One of the reasons that I no longer do business with Fry's is that many of their restocked returns were actually defective.
  4.  permalink
    No open box stuff for me either. I've seen associates "inspect" my returns and then put a sticker on the inside of the box so the next purchaser won't have any idea that it has been returned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    Guest: No open box stuff for me either. I've seen associates "inspect" my returns and then put a sticker on the inside of the box so the next purchaser won't have any idea that it has been returned.

Funny you should say that....I once bought a Maxtor hard drive that was shrinked and banded, no sticker....opened it at home, and there the sticker was on on the INSIDE FLAP of the box. Luckily it was not defective, but when I mentioned it here....was basically told "B.S. Frys doesn't do that" by some folks here. Granted they have gotten better,,,,,but they used to have some MAJOR issues with restock some years ago.
  5.  permalink
    Here is the 411 on the stickers INSIDE a box:  

Any, and I mean any, UNOPENED FACTORY SEALED product that comes back for a return is opened up and inspected by the returns associate. This includes laptops that have the official seal on them that shows the laptop has been unopened. After it is inspected and we are sure the item is there and everything checks out then we put whats called a tracking sticker inside the product. So if you see that in an item you have bought, it is completely brand new and unused, but only opened by us and then just sealed back closed.
  6.  permalink
    I'll have to give Fry's credit for products that have been returned so customers know what they're buying . Many retailers don't do that. Good for Fry's.
  7.  permalink
    that was supposed to be "for marking products that have been returned..."
  8.  permalink
    I personally don't like the stickers on the inside of the box, but I suppose you never know when you may come across a customer who is really good at repackaging.

FYI on the motherboards, at the store I work at, if the motherboard was opened by the customer there will be a test & repair sticker placed on the outside of the box. Later on, myself or another associate will check if the motherboard posts, but nothing more. More than likely, the motherboards are not defective if they post, but posting does not guarantee that the motherboard is not defective.

I like the idea of just sending it back to the manufacturer straight away instead of selling it open box, but it seems that while not all customer do not like open box, there are still a lot that actually like taking advantage of the 5% off assuming the product may work. Fry's has an extremely lenient return policy especially on open box merchandise and IF the product is not working, the customers can easily do an even exchange or get their money back.
  9.  permalink
    Fry's has a god policy for returns, unless you're a former Fry's Employee trying to return.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010
    Fry's open boxes are a joke. The return associates only take the customer's word the reason for the return. Think about this, how many retailers can you think of that put used mechandise, returned merchandise back on a retail shelf. Maybe have a clearance isle or something similar, but to put used merchandise next to new product, expecting the customer to look for the Blue Return Sticker is rediculous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    FrenchyFry:The return associates only take the customer's word the reason for the return.

As opposed to other stores that don't listen to the customer when they return something?  

FrenchyFry:Think about this, how many retailers can you think of that put used mechandise, returned merchandise back on a retail shelf.

Pretty much all of them. At least we clearly mark returned items and knock a couple percentage points off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorshcrott
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010
    I recently bought a router from Fry's and it did not work; when I went to return it, they found that the serial# on the router did not match the serial# on the box and refused to process the return. However, I know for a fact that it was the very same router that I bought and took back for a return. How can I be responsible for a serial# mismatch?  

I was given the Store Manager's phone number, but have not been able to reach him on the phone and he has not returned my call (voice mail message); the store associates claim that they do not know the Manager's e-mail address, which I find somewhat incredible.  

What can I do in this case?
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010
    shcrott: I recently bought a router from Fry's and it did not work; when I went to return it, they found that the serial# on the router did not match the serial# on the box and refused to process the return. However, I know for a fact that it was the very same router that I bought and took back for a return. How can I be responsible for a serial# mismatch?  

I was given the Store Manager's phone number, but have not been able to reach him on the phone and he has not returned my call (voice mail message); the store associates claim that they do not know the Manager's e-mail address, which I find somewhat incredible.  

What can I do in this case?

NOTHING. People return "wrong" shit in boxes all the time. If an employee is late for a break, or doesn't really give a damn about their job.....they won't check to match the serials when accepting the return. After being "thoroughly checked" (plugged in to to see if the little light comes on), it is banded and stuck back on the shelf with or without a sticker....and YOU buy it. When YOU take it back, it is checked by someone who HAS just had their break or gives a damn about their job..... Another reason why I detest Fry's "return everything that is in one piece back to the shelf" policy.  

FRYS-THE GREEN COMPANY. EVERYTHING IS RECYCLED AT FRYS....(back onto the shelf). You just got screwed on a router....but hey, you're helping keep Frys green.:face-monkey: