Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorparker770
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010
    I had an Onkyo tx-sr606 that I bought a few years back that developed the infamous HDMI board issue. Luckily, I had the 5 year PSC with instant replacement, so I drove 2 hours to my nearest fry's to get it replaced. Their inventory of receivers was pretty sparse, so I picked one that was $200 more than I paid originally, and tried to pay the difference. They would not allow this. They ended up giving me a Yamaha RX-V567 as a replacement, which after reading about it and comparing to my old Onkyo does not seem to be as nice.  

I have not yet opened the box, so I was wondering if I would be able to return it for store credit to be able to get a receiver that I would be happy with. There were 3 other models that I would have been satisfied with aside from the Yamaha, but they were out of stock at all 3 Houston locations. I remember reading some other comments concerning a TV PSC replacement where people mentioned that they could return the replacement for credit and pay the difference to upgrade.  

I hear a lot about restocking fees, but they only apply if the seal on the box is open, right? I was able to see that stores in Dallas had the models that I was interested in. If I brought the new one back, unopened, with the PSC receipt that shows it was a "free" replacement, would they give me store credit? Or would I be better off going up there without the receipt, just the sealed box, and play dumb as if it was a normal purchase? I'm not trying to scam anyone, I was just a little frustrated that I wasn't able to choose a satisfactory replacement model. The one they ended up giving me was actually a little more expensive than the others I was leaning towards, even though it seems to be more cheaply made.  

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4646
    As for the replacement the Yamaha is about correct with the features of the 606 as for the performance maybe not as up to the 606 but very close. You can talk to them and see if they will return it for a store credit and use that towards a upgrade receiver. You will however not have the remainder of the psc on the unit so whatever you replace it with you will have to purchase a new psc. What I would suggest is to get the 608 since it is been upgraded immensely from the last 2 generations by adding thx select, 3d pass through and a vga input and 1080p upscaling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorparker770
    I understand that the PSC is gone at this point, using the one time replacement makes the remainder of the psc null and void. And Re: the 608, that is one of the units that I was trying to get into this afternoon, but there wasn't a single store in the Houston area that had the 608 in stock.  

My biggest concern is that I may run into some resistance because the receipt I have shows that the unit was supplied as a PSC replacement to me, so I really did not "purchase" it. My tentative plan is to take the unit, still sealed to a Dallas store next weekend, and see if they will let me return it for store credit+cash to upgrade to the 608(or another better receiver of my choice)
  1.  permalink
    Tell them you want to "F4" return the item. That means they will return it without a receipt. The only problem is they will give you store credit for the lowest sale price in the last 90 days
    •  
      CommentAuthorparker770
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010
    Just got back from Fry's and they would not take the item back without receipt, NO MATTER WHAT. I tried to argue with the MIC for a few minutes, but I was getting nowhere.  

There are a few other locations around town that I can try, does anyone have any tips to getting them to take the damn thing back?!?  

I referenced the store credit for the lowest price in the last 90 days, but they said that on an item over $100, no receipt=no return.
  2.  permalink
    Did you explain to them it was a PSC replacement and you wanted the credit for it to purchase a new one? This is common practice at my store. They will then process it as a return without a receipt in order to give you credit
    •  
      CommentAuthorparker770
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010
    The MIC was a total prick, very condescending. First, I just tried to return it without receipt for store credit, not mentioning it was a PSC replacement.  

The MIC said that under no circumstances do they accept returns without receipt for any items over $100. I finally broke down and said look, this was a PSC replacement and I am NOT happy with it, and I want to return it for store credit to get another model of equal value.  

That's when the MIC started being a real asshole, and said there was NOTHING they could do for a PSC, as it was never even paid for, but "given" to me. He was talking to me as if I were a thief trying to defraud the store, it was total bullshit.  

It is good to know that I may have better luck elsewhere, maybe I'll give it a shot at another location tomorrow. Anybody know a friendly MIC in the Dallas Area?