Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I am going to apply for a job at my local fry's electronic store. I just graduated high school and I am 17 years old. I turn 18 in July. I graduated with honors and I was valedictorian at my high school. I have never had a job before and I really want a job at Fry's Electronics. I have also built a computer and have an award in computer science from my high school. Do you think Fry's would hire me? Also after I submit my application, what are the next steps that I need to do? What are the things that you would recommend me doing to help my chances at getting a job at fry's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010
    You probably could get a job with Fry's, but...why would you want to work there? Money for college? Fry's is sometimes not the most "student-friendly" work environment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010 edited
    Class valedictorian, and you want to work at Frys??? LOL I smell a hose job, but I'll bite.....  

Glad to see the up and coming youth of today set their sights so high. Having built a pc definately makes you more knowledgable than 80% of Frys employees. Good luck.....and if Frys doesn't work out for you, there are plenty of comparable jobs out there. Just practice saying "You want frys with that?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    Trust me once u go in, you won't be coming back for a whileLas Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    lakerbryant: I am going to apply for a job at my local fry's electronic store. I just graduated high school and I am 17 years old. I turn 18 in July. I graduated with honors and I was valedictorian at my high school. I have never had a job before and I really want a job at Fry's Electronics. I have also built a computer and have an award in computer science from my high school. Do you think Fry's would hire me? Also after I submit my application, what are the next steps that I need to do? What are the things that you would recommend me doing to help my chances at getting a job at fry's?

Only work here if they let you into sales immediately, in Electronic Components, Computers, or Audio Video(some sales positions). You can do a hell of a lot better than cashier if you're valedictorian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 63
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    I'd actually look into internships at a non-retail business. Better experience and it'll save you a bunch of headaches.
  2.  permalink
    Serious word of advice. Don't work at Fry's especially if you're planning to attend college. You're just likely end up being fire later on when you can't work some mandated schedule which conflicts with your classes.

Also, once you get sucked into the world of retail it's virtually impossible to get out of that retail environment.
  3.  permalink
    You are better than Fry's. Go apply at Google. They have free beer! (seriously)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsoccerboy
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010
    If you know how to sell the customer,i say give it a shot...It never hurts to try...but just know this...when laptops,T.V.'s start coming back for no apparent reason and you get "hit" for it....don't start crying. Plus, Supervisors...will complain and bitch at you...telling you...why can't you get a wireless, why cant you get Fry's Card?  
    The System is laughable....that's why every time I enter Fry's Electronics I laugh at all the associates. :D.....:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMysBitch
    NOOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it.... Why would you want to subject yourself to slavery. I agree go to a non-retail establishment to work. You won't make much money unless you work in A/V, Computers or Electronic Components. A/V and Computers are strait commissions and with the changes coming who knows how that will effect the salesmen.  

Once a quarter they do inventory where you will have to work some 12+ hours, then maybe do the recounts on Friday morn starting at 5am. On the weeks of inventory you will not be able to request time off from Tues. thru Fri. Also Black Friday is hell, you work again 12+ hrs. Starting Nov 20th till Dec 27th you can't request time off (vacation).  

If you do apply let them know you are going to school in the fall (if you are) and as soon as you have your class schedule give your DM a copy, depending on your DM they will work with you. Personally I would check with the school you plan on attending see if they have any listing for summer jobs on/off campus or take summer classes. Get started on that educations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsoccerboy
    I agree with my bitch :) :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited
    Please tell me you didn't apply. Please. I actually tried to scare a new hire into quitting one time because I wanted him to get out while he could. It almost worked. He did say that I killed his enthusiasm for the job on day one, but he was far too stubborn and stayed.
  4.  permalink
    I love how the cashiers have some of the most demeaning jobs in the store. Two common experiences coming to mind:

1) I frequently see customer service associates having to pick up moist dog shit near the front of the store so no one steps in it, wearing nothing but sandwich bags on their hands because their Sup won't store use disposable gloves.

2) When the toilet overflows in the bathroom and shit goes EVERYWHERE, it's the customer service associates who are forced to go in there and pick up the big chunks, throw them away, unclog the thing, and then mop up the mess.

I remember one day when I had to take a pee and one of the GOOD, capable customer service associates was in there mopping up a toilet that had overflowed and there was shit EVERYWHERE. He had this expression on his face like he had lost all his dignity and just wanted to die.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that a smart valedictorian like yourself will definitely want to bring a leather apron, gum boots, and gloves to work with him because they’ll definitely come in handy at the high-tech world of Fry’s.

Good luck with the interview!! :)
  5.  permalink
    Don't work there. I got job after college. It fucking sucks!
  6.  permalink
    Don't do it. It's a terrible place to work for. I had many different jobs. You'll fair better at any fast food joint. You'll question life.