Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCornBerry
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    I don't know about other stores but pay for service in store#27 sucks big time. It's not funny anymore when you get paid the almost the same as a "accessory sales associate" on the floor. They been screwing us over since the commission thing went through. I just want to vent out my frustrations. This stupid company is taking money off my family's table and pocketing it for the profit of their upper management people.  

Is there anybody out there that works for service department and feels the same way?  

This bull crap has got to be changed. Oh yeah and for the people that think service is an awesome place to work, Its really not. You get shouted at by angry customers. You get shouted at by management when you need help resolving customer issues. And did I mention that you get paid 400 - 450 dollars doing this. On top off that they want you to work on warranty and non-warranty computers and be A+ certified for it.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's San Diego Service Department Sucks!
    The REAL way to make your service department succeed
    Frys service department....
    Frys's service department sales
    Call Center Service enacted for department #4....how useless
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    If you're skilled enough, there are consulting firms and such that you could work for, have a better opportunity at higher pay, and also get better training.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 63
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    Hm.. I've actually been thinking of going to the service dept from AV sales.. there's too much shit going on in sales and I'd rather have something more stable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCornBerry
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    You work for base hourly of 7.5 or minimum wage (what ever state you are located at) and then commission on sold service on the counter. Oh yeah check this out. If you go over the allocated money for psc replacements they actually take the money out of your GP. They basically take the money you earned on the counter to use to replace a customers unit or to repair the customers unit. In other words they take the commission you just made and use that to purchae the repairs and cost for replacement.  

I've been trying to get out of this bullshit company but , right now job are hard to find in vegas. I think they are taking advantage of the situation the economy is in so they can make more money for themselves and pay less to the workers. Believe me, I'm looking for other places to work at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited
    I have to vent about service. First of all, you thought the POS system was bad, the service department has to deal with like 5 different computer systems, none of which communicate between each other. I'm pretty fast at checking customers in for service and it takes me about 20 minutes if I'm only checking them in for something simple. If a customer asks for a loaner or if there's a line... HOLY HELL, you're looking at 45 minutes to an hour from the time they walk in to the time they leave, sometimes even longer. I usually tell the customer to hang out in the cafe and I'll get them when it's time for them to sign their papers.  

The worst part is that nothing is intuitive. The procedure to do each thing is always completely different than it was to do the last thing. Nothing is streamlined, nothing is efficient, and you're constantly distracted with customers coming to the counter asking you why their internet isn't working or if you can show them where "X" is. In my last job, I could get about 9 computers repaired a day. With all the distractions and inefficiency at Fry's, I'm lucky if I can get 2 completed each day. I mean I love the people in my department, they're all great guys, but we all know this place fucking SUCKS and most are trying to get jobs with Apple or elsewhere but are working here until they do.  

There are so many things about the service department that I wish I could change. It's so inefficient and yet sometimes I wonder if the company likes it like that to discourage people from seeking service on their unit.
  2.  permalink
    @CornBerry: I was making almost the same pay working in returns. IN FUCKING RETURNS. Returns is an almost mindless job compared to service. The store I work at to my knowledge pulls some of the best numbers in our district, and yeah we make 400-450, 450 if we are lucky. Plus they screwed up our PSC allocation because apparently its calculated by taking an average from the last 5 years, but we've only been open since 07, and PSC work was slow until 08. So we go over by a few thousand dollars on a slow week...  

@gobo760: I completely agree. The distractions are absurd. Trying to replace a motherboard in a laptop? So much as touch it and the phone rings or a customer comes to the counter asking for the "local tech guru" or the "smartest geek in the house" or the "I need an expert on sata drives" with a clever smirk on their face. I don't want to sound like I dislike customers, but our job is to be constantly interrupted.  

The Home Install system is pure garbage, I don't know who they paid to write that but its pure shit. I could pay a freshman in computer science at a junior college to write better software then that.  

All of our techs are great people, but the way the dept works everyone is always on edge
    •  
      CommentAuthorxyvermax
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010
    Mga putang ina na mga hinayupak na yan may araw din sila.:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    xyvermax: Mga putang ina na mga hinayupak na yan may araw din sila.:face-devil-grin:

No shit. And thats on a good day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    stop speaking filipino
    •  
      CommentAuthorxyvermax
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010
    I'm sorry master D.:face-smile:
  3.  permalink
    I used to be the I.S. Technician at one of the higher volume stores for about 3.5 yrs. I always tell people I work with now or have conversations about Fry's. I wouldn't wish my worst enemies to work at Fry's, especially in the service department. It's absolutely insane the number of distractions you have through out the day. You are yelled at by management and customers equally about getting repairs done. Yet, you have to stop and answer the phone, deal with sales associates bringing customers to the counter to answer stupid questions they should be able to answer themselves. You have to deal with all the bullshit that the main service center screws up. On top of that being right next to the SM/ASM office you always have to stop what you're doing and take care of whatever issues they don't want to deal with.

All this and more while trying to catch error messages during troubleshooting or reassembling some assholes laptop who insists on sitting at the counter and watching you the entire time.

What Fry's has needed since the beginning is a closed off service department. They needed to close off the section where techs are hidden doing the repairs and hire monkeys to just work the counters and answer the phones. They also needed to let the damn technicians have stools to sit on for gods sake! Letting us not have to wear a freaking shirt and tie would be a bonus. Is it really necessary to ruin so many good cloths when you're having to work on some of the most disgusting, smoke covered and bug infested computers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010 edited
    I feel ya. While we're on this topic, why are the PSC agreements we sell such crap? Yesterday I had to call a customer and tell them that the broken hinge on their laptop wasn't covered by the PSC agreement and home office rejected their claim (the hinge was obviously defective as I've seen about 4 of this same model of HP laptop with this same broken hinge, but apparently that doesn't matter to home office if the customer was able to physically touch it before it broke).  

I mean unless the customer has no physical contact with the part in question, it's not covered. My only gripe with that policy is it inevitably sets the customer up for a confrontation with the service techs. Most of the techs at my store all have stress balls that they use between customers since the customers always want to pick a fight when they realize their warranties/PSC's wont cover 90% of the stuff that typically goes wrong with their machines. Two employees in particular in my department always start twitching nervously and you can see the veins get big on their foreheads when the customer starts in with the "THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!" rant. I mean if Fry's wants to sell the customer a bag a magic beans, that's fine. But why do we have to be the ones to notify the customers of this fact? Have the fucking sales reps who told them "it covers everything babe, *wink wink* don't worry about it :face-angel:" be the ones to tell them.  

And if that's out of the question, at least get some untrained high school kids in there to work the counters and give the customers an outlet for their anger without it affecting the technicians who are trained and have to keep focused on a slew of repairs in the back.  

Sorry if I sound selfish but I get tired of having to stop my repairs constantly to go to the counter and hear the customer bitch and whine about the same tired things. And you're right, they absolutely need to isolate the work benches from the counter. I actually have a full on plan for how they could make repair more efficient... put glass between the counter and the repair techs (I know fry's keeps it open-air so people can see the techs taking stuff apart, which a lot of people find to be a show in itself) but the fact that people can talk to you means you're constantly distracted, and if a couple people come to the counter, you're expected to drop everything and help with the counter since it takes 20 minutes to check someone in. Having a glass partition means they can see in, but they aren't disturbing your "space" and nor do they expect you to drop everything and help them.  

2) Better work stations. Half of our guys have bought their own equipment since the equipment that Fry's provided for the techs is such crap.  

3) A centralized ISO directory of every recovery CD for every machine on one central company-wide sever. Get rid of those annoying fucking binders where everyone is constantly misplacing recovery CD's and accidentally leaving them in the CD trays when customers take their units home. We need all the recovery CD's to be in the form of one gigantic directory.  

4) A fast check in process (but this goes for everything at fry's... we're in the stone age and it takes forever to do anything).  

5) Internet. Are we the only store that doesn't have a high speed T1 connection? (or hell, cable for that matter).  

I could list about 5 more things but those are just a start.
  4.  permalink
    @gobo760, After 9 years at Fry's, 4 years in Service, and 1 year of that as I.S. tech all I can say is none of that will ever happen. Once excuse I heard about having "counter bitches" was that they don't want wasted labor. Another I've heard is that most customers will want to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about so they have the technicians directly available so the customer feels they are talking to a knowledgeable person.

I have my own procedure for customer's that want to argue/complain/bitch about stuff that is or is not covered. If during my inspection of unit I notice *anything* that might cause it not to be covered I call a supervisor and let them tell the customer. Most of the time the customer gives back flak that they weren't told or whatever and the supervisor ends up taking them away from me and over the the MIC and then I don't have to deal with it for about 45min until they come back and the supervisor tells me to check it in and note it all down anyway. That's 45min I get to either move on and help more customers and get them out of our way or work on units. Since the supervisor would be over in the corner pretending to be doing something productive anyway I feel having him *actually* do something productive is more important.

Re #2: Been there, doing that. :( I've had to bring in my own "acquired" discs of all versions of windows because our department either didn't have or had "misplaced" them. We then created ISO files of each disc and put on a computer and repeatedly end up burning 5-10 new copies per week because they get damaged, left in units, etc. We haven't had any software to handle cloning hard drives, data recovery, running virus scan (pointless IMO - just restore it but alas subject for another time), doing anything with apple (diagnose, data recovery, etc). All software we use has been brought in by other means, even written ourselves (see next part).

Re #3: To remedy problem relating to #3, since we just procured a new computer to handle the diagnostic software there was behind the scenes talk with our techs about adding a hidden menu option to load a custom winpe image off the network to handle network installs/restores of units (hidden so higher ups don't bitch about unauthorized software again). Typically this would be faster than hunting down, and/or burning a whole new recovery disc/set of discs each time. In my time as I.S. tech I did something similar while I was required to handle repair/restore of returned Fry's PC units. It cut down my restore time from 1hr+ per unit (those 7xxx, 81xx series took forever with that crap dos software-might have been the crap optical drives), to aprox 5min per unit. Being able to PXE boot systems and restore over the network would be great. Still a WIP though as I haven't found any remotely intuitive software to handle it and I"m done wasting my personal time to write something like I did for the Fry's PC situation. Having a central company server (assuming at home office) would not be the best idea since the pipe from each store to home office is pretty busy anyway (see #5 reply).

Re #4: While I understand why we're using 20+ year old software (costs to change to something else and retrain people), the Remedy server is way overloaded and unstable for the workload it gets. The local Remedy workstation software we're using is old and buggy and could stand an upgrade atleast. Trying to use said software on a 8yr old PC with 256mb ram is, well, difficult and slow at best. Our I.S. tech is trying to replace all our service workstations little by little with convenient catastrophic failures of equipment every other week to get us upgrades but that won't help when the underlying software is terrible. Half the time our store ends up doing manual SRO's just to get customers out faster and get back to work then put them in Remedy later when its less busy.

Re #5: While I can't speak about your store, ours *used* to have a DSL line back in the day when Earthlink used to have reps in our store. That was removed when one of our supervisors did some rather dumb shit. Since then we only have had red carpet for driver downloads which bogs down the store terribly. Since we just got the new Verizon wireless crap (our store had horrible cell phone reception of almost every carrier, T-Mobile has the best at 1bar throughout the store) getting 5-15kbyte/sec top speed is not that great plus if we try to do any large driver (i.e. nvidia/ati graphics ~100+mb) they almost never finish. For a while we were using the router without the home office config file because of many issues but one being the ability to setup units to download overnight since the config file restricts time usage with parental controls.
  5.  permalink
    Working for the service dept for frys is like going to jail and getting paid for it. being under-staffed just makes it alot better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010
    BAH, today sucked! I had to do an OS reinstall on a computer that needed a data backup first, and after getting pulled away to the counter 7 times in a row, I totally forgot that I hadn't done the data backup yet and formatted the machine. God damn it, this is why I HATE having the customers constantly interrupting us when we're working on 4 machines at the same time, and trying to keep track of screws and parts and where stuff goes and what still needs to be done. Then you pile customers bitching at you about their machine not working or their PSC agreement not covering the repairs in between and you have no focus left at all.  

I've come to realize that if Fry's was a hospital, and you were a doctor, they would expect you to perform surgeries while booking your own appointments and answering the phones... of course Fry's would make sure you first signed a contract saying that if the surgery was botched, we couldn't be held liable, which is what Fry's does when you send your computer in for repair.
  6.  permalink
    What store do you work at gobo? 25?
    •  
      CommentAuthornfl
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010
    Trust me Gobo, you have my complete respect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010 edited
    Thanks nfl.  

@particleman, I work at one of the Los Angeles locations. Not sure if I should give specifics though as I've heard of people getting reprimanded for posting on here. Are you brave enough to say which store and department you work for? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    gobo760: Thanks nfl.  

@particleman, I work at one of the Los Angeles locations. Not sure if I should give specifics though as I've heard of people getting reprimanded for posting on here. Are you brave enough to say which store and department you work for? ;)

Ooooooo.....I'm telling!!!!
  7.  permalink
    gobo760: Thanks nfl.  

Store 25. Components. I fear no man.  

ALSO: 760 is the area code down here. Which is why I thought you worked wih me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010
    Store 25. Components. I fear no man. ALSO: 760 is the area code down here. Which is why I thought you worked with me.

Ha, well you're braver than I. I like bitching about my job under a guise of anonymity. :face-devil-grin:  

Funny you picked up on the 760, as I grew up in North County San Diego prior to moving up to LA. I still add "760" though to most of the IDs I make online since it's an easy number to remember. I've been to store 25 though as my parents still live down there. It has an interesting theme, fish tanks right? How do you like working at 25 if you don't mind me asking? It seems to be one of the Fry's stores that no one ever really talks about on here especially with it's infamous older brother, Fry's San Diego, just down the road.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMerkava
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010
    I have been trying to get to service from AT but damn...  
    I wanted to go in and start assembling computers and other stuff like that (which I do for people on my free time) i guess it is gay :/  

but I dont like AT where the SM is always on your ass about frys cards and PSC @_@

Wikisplode.gif
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010
    Merkava: I have been trying to get to service from AT but damn... I wanted to go in and start assembling computers and other stuff like that (which I do for people on my free time) i guess it is gay :/ But I dont like AT where the SM is always on your ass about frys cards and PSC @_@

You just need to get certified. The more certifications you have, the better your chances are of getting in to service (even though half the guys in my department aren't certified.) I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence though. When I started working at my store, I can't tell you how many people said "you got in to service?? I've been trying to transfer in to that department for "x" months/years!"  

The one nice thing I'll say about service is that we don't have to deal with those damn Fry's cards. However we do have to deal with constant distractions as well as angry customers who learn that their PSC is useless to them about 90% of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010
    I played service as if it was a game and the object was to see how pissed you could get people it was fun you can get away with anything i found ways around using the binders of disks its called burnt motherboards when it doesnt boot there is no need for a diagnostic reportbut i now do freelance work since i am really good infact so good i usually pull 100-200 for an hour of service along with a provided lunch i will usually give people quotes of $50 and pull a 100%-300% tip you know you are good when people tell you that sounds too good after quoting them $50 and getting $100Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
  8.  permalink
    i fix abt 10-15 computers a week and im only there part time. full time i was smashing close to 20 units a week. make paperwork for every service you perform, even if its red carpet.
  9.  permalink
    also sell hard. check windows event viewer to see if it points to atap, disk, or ACPI errors as these are typically hardware problems and can be a jump off point for your sales. viruses are as good as gold my friend, check MSCONFIG startup for any wierd issues, check internet explorer proxy settings, lookfor popups, internet errors, wireless/Lan problems. if you find any of these issues, stop looking at the machine and begin selling. sell windows installs over anti viruses, they will pay. when customer goes "oh its like 170 to backup and reinstall windows? dude thats too much." get your DM or sups involved and try to broker a deal. try not to say "no" to money but dont give that shit away for free son. when you see ppl walk up with a computer and a bunch of papers you can be almost certain its PSC related so try to get that data bkup sold. if they walkup with an old laptop or desktop and no papers its possible they will need non warranty work which is time to sell windows installs and/or data bkup and or diagnosis. if your not sure dont sell a service you think is counter-intuitive, like windows install or antivirus removal for apparent hardware issue, just sell the diagnosis. make hirens boot disk on usb it will simplify your life. and most importantly explain to the customer like they are reading computers for dummies but make them understand the severity of their problem. stress that "without reloading windows, these issues wont go away." pay is not great in service but it is more stable. my school and frys are literally down the street from each other so thats why im putting up with this crap. good luck and use these tips wisely i hope it helps you or your family in some way. frys overall sucks balls but hey we haven't won the lottery yet. stop. look and watch. ready it. get set. its all that.
  10.  permalink
    Start your own computer repair bus. On the side
    Keep working at frys for a while. Use your discount
    To buy tools needed. And software.
    Fix computers in the weekend. When you expand
    Quit frys and go full time. Buy a car/van that runs
    Well. Get a car wrap with a cool logo
    Most of all be honest and quote reasonable
    Prices. Word of mouth will spread and soon you will
    Be makin $900 a day
  11.  permalink
    58019.. you are replying to a thread that is a few years old. The employee that started the thread most likely has committed suicide by now.
  12.  permalink
    FRYS ELECTRONICS CUSTOMER SERVICE ABSOLUTELY SUCKS LIKE A FREAKING SUCKING DRAIN HOLE TO THE MIDDLE OF THE EARTH!!! I WANTED TO PURCHASE A LAPTOP TONIGHT WHICH IS QUITE A PURCHASE. I HAVE SPOKEN TO 3 CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS (TANEESHA, COURTNEY, & ROSA) BUT TO NO AVAIL ALTHOUGH ON HOLD FOR 1HR 10 MINS IN TOTAL. COMPLETE BS! ROSA CONNECTED ME TO AN ACTUAL EMPLOYEE AT THE STORE THE PRODUCT IS LOCATED BUT I WAS PUT ON HOLD & "INCREDIBLY" DISCONNECTED. I WILL NOT GIVE THEM MY BUSINESS ANYMORE FOR SUCH CRAPPY TREATMENT! BTW I AM ANGRY AND KEEPING MY POST W/O WORDS I'D LIKE VERY MUCH TO USE. FRY'S ELECTRONICS CUSTOMER SERVICE CAN SUCK IT!! & NOW I WILL N0T, repeat 'N_O_T', SHOP THERE OR GIVE THEM ANY WORD-OF-MOUTH SERVICE &/OR ACCOLADES. THEY ARE CRAP AND NOT WORTHY OF CUSTOMERS. I AM SO SICK OF BEING TREATED LIKE CRAP WHEN I AM PAYING $ FOR SERVICES ….. AND SO SHOULD YOU!!!!! ANYWHERE YOU ARE PAYING FOR A SERVICE OR PRODUCT Y_O_U SHOULD BE TREATED RESPECTFULLY, IN THE LEAST, BUT ABSOLUTELY MORE THAN THAT IF ONE IS SPENDING ANY $$$ TO A CORPORATION/ESTABLISHMENT
    WHETHER LARGE OR SMALL, REMEMBER THAT.
  13.  permalink
    Guest 55544,

Nobody here cares. In fact, we're happy when idiots like you decide not to shop at Fry's anymore. Good riddance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014
    Guest: Guest 55544,  

Nobody here cares. In fact, we're happy when idiots like you decide not to shop at Fry's anymore. Good riddance.

With an attitude like that, pretty soon Fry's won't have any customers.
  14.  permalink
    ObiWan:  
    With an attitude like that, pretty soon Fry's won't have any customers.

One would certainly think so. When I worked there as a salesman, a lot of the indignant "I'm never shopping here again!" customers kept coming back. An interesting (and ancient) Forbes article from 1997, The customer is always right? Not at Fry's, has an interesting anecdote:
    Lawyer Martin Anderson of Santa Ana, Calif. has represented a customer who sued Fry’s for alleged injuries received from security guards. Anderson admits reluctantly that even he and his aggrieved client still shop at Fry’s.
    (http://www.forbes.com/forbes/1997/1103/6010086a.html)  

Is it some kind of masochism? In 1997 e-commerce was miniscule compared to today, and Fry's was the only game in town for a lot of things, so they run their stores like the Soup Nazi and still get business. Now, I have no idea why people would shop there unless it's some emergency purchase that you need today. The salesmen are much more knowledgeable than Best Buy, but the incentive structure encourages -- pretty much forces -- them to act like the stereotype of a bad used car salesmen. I've seen good men, myself included, stretch the truth like silly putty, lie by omission, push worse deals cause they paid more than the ad piece, etc. I'm not proud of it, I really regret it now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014
    "The salesmen are much more knowledgeable than Best Buy" - not at any of the Fry's in Houston.
  15.  permalink
    Obi Wan,

You don't have experience in dealing with a large amount of Fry's customers. This ALL CAPS guest
  16.  permalink
    ObiWan: "The salesmen are much more knowledgeable than Best Buy" - not at any of the Fry's in Houston.
    They will try to bullshit you (like saying the quad core AMD A6 is better than an i5 because it's a quad core vs. a dual core -- if I had sold computers in 2006 I'm sure customers would have been told that the 3.7GHz Pentium D was twice as fast as the 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo), but a lot of the ones I worked with really did know their stuff. Interestingly, the best salesman didn't know or care much about computers at all. His attitude was pushy used car salesman turned up to 11. He even looked sleazy, yet everyone opened their wallets for him. I could not for the life of me figure out why. He was the very embodiment of all the pushy salesman stereotypes.
  17.  permalink
    Raf?
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014
    Hey fellow Service Techs! Been working at store 11 in Burbank since last October. I feel the same way you do about how awful the working conditions are. I'm gonna use Fry's as a stepping stone to bigger and better, but in the meantime, I'd like us to put our heads together and make our current lives a bit easier. Below are some projects I'm working on:  

Bootable Windows 7 x86+x64 with all updates preintegrated, plus driver packs and will accept any OEM keys  
    Bootable Windows 8.1, same as above  

I use @Active Recovery for data recovery and password resets. I bought the full license so I get updates as well as the ability to customise the image.  

Working on a custom bootable antivirus disk. Kaspersky seems to be the best, but it needs updates to detect everything. Working on a way to preintegrate updates into the bootable image.  

I charge the System Optimization ($25) to install Classic Shell on Windows 8 computers. Customers love having the Start Menu back! Helps keep my green dollars at or above our weekly quota.  

I don't check in troublesome repairs such as DC jack or LCD panels anymore. I just show them the weekly ad for a cheap computer and convince them its wiser to buy an new computer with warranty than try to fix their old computer.  

Portable Ccleaner, Speccy, and Autoruns are your best friends! Customers always remark how much faster Windows boots up without all that bloatware auto launching.  

Well, my lunch is almost over, gotta get back to the 4 units I'm working on. I will be back!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014 edited
    ahhh...the joys of keeping a Windoze computer running. I guess that's why I prefer a Mac - they just work.  

Note to A30N - since you identified which store you work at, and some of the projects you're working on, it'll be easy for Fry's management to figure out who you are - and that's not a good thing. They don't like employees posting here.
  18.  permalink
    ObiWan: ahhh...the joys of keeping a Windoze computer running. I guess that's why I prefer a Mac - they just work.

Come on, ObiWan, don't tell me you fell for the slick marketing. Unibody aluminum cases and glowing Apple® logos do not a reliable computer make. Have you considered running the Macintosh OS on cheaper commodity PC hardware? At the end of the day, its all made by Foxconn anyway.  
    Note to A30N - since you identified which store you work at, and some of the projects you're working on, it'll be easy for Fry's management to figure out who you are - and that's not a good thing. They don't like employees posting here.

Randy's too busy waxing the 747 and counting his millions (kept in aluminum briefcases -- just like in the movies) to hunt down disgruntled employees.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014
    You should put that Kool Aid down, Obi Wan. Macs are the biggest rip off in the history of personal computing. It boggles my mind that intelligent people spend $2,000 to own a computer that they will merely use to read their email. For those of us that actually educate ourselves on how to properly use computers, windows computers are just fine if not preferable. You need to learn to read to use a book. You need to learn to drive to use a car. The same is true of a computer.
  19.  permalink
    Best Buy: You should put that Kool Aid down, Obi Wan. Macs are the biggest rip off in the history of personal computing. It boggles my mind that intelligent people spend $2,000 to own a computer that they will merely use to read their email. For those of us that actually educate ourselves on how to properly use computers, windows computers are just fine if not preferable. You need to learn to read to use a book. You need to learn to drive to use a car. The same is true of a computer.

Yeah but Macs are for hip, cool people, PCs are for losers. Didn't you see the ad? Mac guy was cool and laid back while PC guy was some boring corporate loser in a suit. Who cares if the RAM and HDD are proprietary parts soldered onto the motherboard? It's thin enough to slice a cake with! Who needs things like cooling or upgradeable parts? The Mac genius will help you upgrade to the new model (with last year's processor) when it comes out. Plus, the Mac genius is hip and cool just like the Mac guy in the commercials!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited
    Sorry, but...Mac's aren't "the biggest rip off in history". To find a comparable Windows laptop with the same spec's (HD screen, i7 processor, RAM, etc.) you'd wind up spending just about the same amount with Lenovo or Dell. The majority of pro photographers and videographers (ala Jeremy Cowart, Chase Jarvis, Joe McNally, etc.) utilize laptops in the field, and most prefer Mac over Windows. There are very few that use Windows.  

Sure...I could build my own custom desktop, and either set it up as a Hackintosh, or run that mess called Windows 8, but like a lot of photographers, I do all of my image editing on a laptop. The desktop (especially Windows desktops) are all but headed the way of the dinosaur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    The majority of users of any computer in particular are middle aged people that check their email and engage in online banking. These people do not need laptops that were meant for professional artists and app developers. Now for the professional user, such as yourself, the fact that the newest models cannot be upgraded in terms of RAM or hard drives is clear evidence that they are in fact rip offs. It's only a matter of time before all macs, desktop or laptop are not upgradable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Well, I'm not (and probably either are you) part of the "majority of users". It's a logical fallacy to equate a lack of perceived upgradability as being a ripoff (FWIW, I chose a higher end unit). There are a number of Windows laptops that aren't upgradable (Microslop's Surface/Surface Pro for example). Does that them a ripoff? Wait...they run Windows 8 - that's a ripoff in and of itself... :face-devil-grin:
  20.  permalink
    ObiWan: Well, I'm not (and probably either are you) part of the "majority of users". It's a logical fallacy to equate a lack of perceived upgradability as being a ripoff (FWIW, I chose a higher end unit). There are a number of Windows laptops that aren't upgradable (Microslop's Surface/Surface Pro for example). Does that them a ripoff? Wait...they run Windows 8 - that's a ripoff in and of itself... :face-devil-grin:
    But the Surface isn't a laptop, it's the modern version of the XP tablet PC that Bill Gates unveiled in 2002 but with better hardware and worse software.  

Incidentally, Dell will sell you an XPS 15 with several more pixels than the MBP (3200x1800 vs. 2880x1800), more memory (16GB standard vs. 8GB in the MBP), same i7, dedicated nVidia GeForce® GT 750M 2GB GDDR5 graphics (vs. Intel graphics on the MBP) for $1999, same price as the entry level retina MBP. It's also made from carbon fiber and aluminum. (http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9530/pd?oc=dncwx1566h&model_id=xps-15-9530). It has Windoze 8 and I have no idea if Hackintosh is still a viable thing (I imagine they fixed all the holes long ago). You could always buy a copy of Windoze 7 and install that, or go for some flavor of *nix.  

As far as "professional grade" computing, don't let me and Best Buy get to you. It's no worse than the guy who buys a Porsche just to plod along in rush hour traffic everyday. If you have the cash (would you like to open a Fry's Card, sir? It's just 26.99% APR!) and it makes you happy, go for it.

10_tablet_revolution_thumb555.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2014
    Yeah...I'm aware of Dell's offerings. Add in a SSD and the price is just about the same as what I paid for my MBP with similar spec's (I get a b2b discount via my employer). 'cept Dell includes trial versions of Office and other bloatware. You don't get any of that with Apple.  

Oh...one more thing - diss the Genius Bar all you want. Apple's quality and service ratings far exceed Dell. Dell is usually scraping the bottom of the barrel in that area. Lenovo is the only laptop manufacturer that gets close to Apple.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2014 edited
    ObiWan: Well, I'm not (and probably either are you) part of the "majority of users". It's a logical fallacy to equate a lack of perceived upgradability as being a ripoff (FWIW, I chose a higher end unit). There are a number of Windows laptops that aren't upgradable (Microslop's Surface/Surface Pro for example). Does that them a ripoff? Wait...they run Windows 8 - that's a ripoff in and of itself... :face-devil-grin:

The surface is a poor comparison to make, Obi Wan. First off, the price starts at around $300. Second, it's a tablet, not a desktop or a true laptop. All tablets are not meant to be upgradable which is one of the reasons that I have no use for one.