Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    Guest: Meanwhile, about 15 min away from Store 7 and Store 10, Microcenter seems to be thriving with it's smaller store foot print, competitive pricing, and better service. Their demographics aren't all old people who are fearful of the Internet either.  

Back in the day, Fry's was always packed when Microcenter merely picked up the spillovers. Sad to see Fry's going by way of the dinosaur.

Microcenter closed at least 1 location in the last year. Their Bay Area store no longer exists. Fry's hasn't closed any locations.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Why Best Buy is Going out of Business...Gradually
    Leaks: CompUSA's Going-Out-Of Business Discount List
    Thinking about going back to work at Fry's
    Better Business Bureau and Fry's
    Do you think Frys would do MUCH better if they hired management with a business education?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    Best Buy:
    Guest: Meanwhile, about 15 min away from Store 7 and Store 10, Microcenter seems to be thriving with it's smaller store foot print, competitive pricing, and better service. Their demographics aren't all old people who are fearful of the Internet either.  

Back in the day, Fry's was always packed when Microcenter merely picked up the spillovers. Sad to see Fry's going by way of the dinosaur.

Microcenter closed at least 1 location in the last year. Their Bay Area store no longer exists. Fry's hasn't closed any locations.

Fry's hasn't closed any locations....yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013 edited
    Personally, I hate to see any business lose.  

But, on the other hand, when Your Top Management, as in the Top People in District Management, Buying, Sales Managers for Fry's with so many Inventive ideas are presented to the Sales Staff and Get So Excited, and then just like an EXECUTION< they are gone... You have to wonder.  

That said, Fry's deserves what they get, They let go TOP people and ignored the new hires, with new ideas  

....They were told all the Strategies of Competition, what was going on from the Sales people..from their local competition such as Circuit City, Best Buy, Adrays, and Sales People were scoffed at...  

They can always offer to Bring Back the " Dream Team " .... They have their numbers.... And invite us all down in San Jose, and take how we were trained originally and Re-Organize the Company.
  2.  permalink
    Oh speaking of that FrenchFry,

When I was MT taking over Supervisor duties during their maternity leave I had to of course do the comp shop ever week. If people on here don't actually know that that is, it's when you basically go into a competitor's store and take notes on their layout, displays, service, prices, etc. I decided to comp shop a local business one day and wrote up a long comp shop report about how good the service was and how I thought we could incorporate some of what they were doing in a smaller store to just make the shopping experience cool on a bigger scale within our department.

Well needless to say I got pulled into the managers office a few days later and told to never write a negative comp shop again that our buyers were not very happy with it. i was told to only say good things about Fry's. I don't see how in hell that was every going to help improve anything, but If all they wanted was glowing responses on their work I wasn't going to argue long as my pay check kept coming. I spent the next few months I was there turning in nothing but generic reports that would say Fry's awesome and does things better than Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Office Depot, etc.

Honestly the only thing the buyers ever wanted to hear was if another store was carrying product we did not have so they could bitch at their buyers to get it for them. If you said anything you were insulting the work they did it seemed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013
    Guest 14763, Hit it Right on the Nose.  

I know of Salesmen who would open and have the Ad from the local competitors and as a courtesy would show them to the opening supervisor. Instead of Praise, they would get the " Why are you trying to drop the Price? " The Answer was to be competitive, as we all know....  

Then you had the people who made the Price Changes, , but would leave the Old Price Up.... Then tell the Customer, I can get you a Better Price, if you buy today....When they went to the POS, the Price was already in the System and the Customer would see it come up automatically and say " I thought you were giving me a Discount off the Price, but that is what the Computer already has it for..." The explanations the Salespeople would give... Unbelievable  

The Good ol days
  3.  permalink
    FrenchyFry:Then you had the people who made the Price Changes, , but would leave the Old Price Up.... Then tell the Customer, I can get you a Better Price, if you buy today....When they went to the POS, the Price was already in the System and the Customer would see it come up automatically and say " I thought you were giving me a Discount off the Price, but that is what the Computer already has it for..." The explanations the Salespeople would give... Unbelievable
    You bring up something I noticed a lot as a salesman: customers are more interested in the appearance of a "sale" than in the actual value of the item. Case in point, if you could offer the customer a laptop at $399 "regular price" or the same laptop ON SALE!!! for 50% off $800, they would go for the latter every time even though they have to pay the same either way. I often argued that Fry's should list inflated "regular prices" and then put everything "on sale!" (but still at a profit) but my proposals were predictably ignored. This wouldn't have fooled the Asian resellers (you don't want them anyway), but it would have fooled the rich/middle class people who want a "bargain" so they can tell their friends how they got a sweet deal and saved $$$ over retail (even though it's illusory savings). Retail psychology really interests me.  

When I worked at a different retail chain years ago, we had a clearance section where we would dump all the old stuff that didn't sell for whatever reason and when customers came to me with a clearance item and said "how much is the regular price" I would say either "I don't know" (the truth, for I really did not know) or I would make up some plausible sounding price. Nine times out of ten, the customer wouldn't buy it if I said I didn't know the regular price but they would always buy it if I said the $4.99 clearance item was "regularly priced" at $19.99. (I wasn't on commission at that job, so it didn't really matter to me if they bought or not, it was more of a mind game/psychology experiment.) To a really smart consumer, all that matters is if the item price is worth more than the dollars you have to give up for it. Savings, coupons, and "sales" are bullshit 90% of the time. The new CEO of JC Penney tried to rationalize it and eliminate all the pointless "sales" and profit fell dramatically! The moral of the story: most customers aren't very smart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013
    JC Penny's strategy has failed dramatically. I am a long-time customer there and didn't save any more or less than before their "every day pricing" strategy. However I have noticed how empty they seem compared to before. Sounds like Fry's and how they are constantly making changes instead of sticking with a plan.
  4.  permalink
    Best Buy: JC Penny's strategy has failed dramatically. I am a long-time customer there and didn't save any more or less than before their "every day pricing" strategy. However I have noticed how empty they seem compared to before. Sounds like Fry's and how they are constantly making changes instead of sticking with a plan.
    It's failing cause they got their customers hooked on "sales". Their customers think if it's not on sale then it's not a good deal, regardless of actual price. Fry's needs to mark up all their computers by 20%, and then put them all "20% OFF ON SALE!!!!" and do all the old JC Penny gimmicks like coupons and doorbusters and one day sales, etc. Stop selling negative margin crap, ditch the Asian resellers and the cheapskates, and just focus on dumb people. Maybe it's a stupid idea, but the ship is sinking and desperate times call for desperate measures.
  5.  permalink
    I think the best idea for Fry's would be to work out a partnership with Amazon or Newegg and drop their crappy Frys.com website. Go into a partnership where you get a small % of their online orders while getting supplied through their vendors and getting to use their name in your store. Yes in a way it makes you their showroom, but as long as you get some of the online sales for it then it's a worth it. Amazon or Newegg could then have a pick up at store option with Fry's as well as offer free to store shipping on bigger purchases like TV's. Anything shipped and picked up at the store would give Fry's a bigger % of the profit on the item. You also do away with the commission sales and find a good hourly rate for the different positions in the company and start to focus more on making the customers shopping experience more memorable for good reasons. You can still offer bonuses to people working in high sales departments like Audio/Video and Computers, but make it a bonus for hitting goals and not commission on the items sold. The reason for doing away with commission is because of you're new competitive pricing thanks to the partnership. You're more concerned with moving product and bringing more value to the Amazon/Newegg name than you are the commission of an item.

Honestly this is the direction that retail electronic stores are going. If you want to stay in business you should be begging a major online store to partner up with you.

This type of partnership has benefits to an online store as well. It gives them an outlet to reach out to customers in a more personal manner. Let's say I'm browsing for a new TV on Amazon and reading through the specs to find the best one in my price range. Their is just one problem, despite everything I am reading I still never get to see the TV working with my own eyes. With the partnership though I suddenly see an option letting me know the local Fry's has this current model on display along with a list of several similar TV's. Now I've been informed the TV I like is within driving distance to see for myself along with a few other TV's to check out. I just went from maybe buying my TV with Amazon to most likely buying my TV at Amazon's Fry's store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2013
    There's only one problem with a partnership with Amazon or Newegg....Fry's reputation - both as an employer and as a retailer. Amazon scrutinizes its partners carefully, and Newegg doesn't need a a brick and mortar store.
  6.  permalink
    Guest: I think the best idea for Fry's would be to work out a partnership with Amazon or Newegg and drop their crappy Frys.com website. Go into a partnership where you get a small % of their online orders while getting supplied through their vendors and getting to use their name in your store. Yes in a way it makes you their showroom, but as long as you get some of the online sales for it then it's a worth it. Amazon or Newegg could then have a pick up at store option with Fry's as well as offer free to store shipping on bigger purchases like TV's
    They already have that. It's called online price matching and it works great for them because Fry's usually loses all their profit on the item when a customer does it. If the customer buys it on Newegg, Newegg profits. If the customer goes into Fry's and price matches Newegg, Fry's profit is eliminated or severely reduced. It's like heads I win, tails you lose for Amazon and Newegg. Not only that, but it cements in the customer's mind the idea that buying it online is a better value and it makes Fry's look bad when they have to reduce the price 20% (or whatever) to match Newegg and Amazon.  

Also, like ObiWan said, Amazon doesn't want their good name dragged through the dirt by the shady used car salesmen and surly door nazis Fry's employs. Not to mention the dusty, empty shelves.  

The way to survive with bricks and mortar retailing is to carry slightly different things, so that you won't have to price match. Mattress stores have been doing this forever, having slightly different mattresses with different model names/numbers so price matching is near-impossible. Best Buy is smart with this, all their big-ticket stuff is reasonably priced, but they gouge you with their Rocketfish and Dynex cables and accessories which cannot be price matched because only Best Buy sells them.  

Maybe after the inevitable liquidation sale, Tiger Direct will buy Frys.com and one or two of the stores like they did after the Circuit City and CompUSA bankruptcies. Although I kinda like Frys.com. It's a good way to show today's kids what online shopping was like in 1997. I'm surprised they don't have the once ubiquitous "This site best viewed with Netscape Navigator 3.0 at 800x600 resolution" at the bottom.
  7.  permalink
    That will never happen. Ever heard of competition?
  8.  permalink
    It's not the same as Fry's Online Price Matching. Fry's is always price matching at a loss. With access to the same Vendors that supply a major online store like Amazon or Newegg though they would be getting cheaper rates and not having to price match as much. Any partnership between Fry's and one of those stores I would assume would mean a complete overhaul of Fry's top management team and the company in general. You would be changing everything about how the stores operate. That should mean all the shady business practices cease to exist anymore. Fry's stores would essential be showroom/storage for the online retailer. It's a way for them to reach customers on a face to face level and let them browse their top products in person instead of behind a screen. It also gives a store like Amazon a place to expand on their trade-in program. The idea for them though is to always have Fry's stocked with their top selling merchandise. If customers are coming in for store pickups on your top sellers then you're saving on shipping cost since offering that for free is almost essential for online stores now days. When the product is no longer a top seller then Fry's ships it back to the warehouse and gets the new top product.

Any online store that does this is not going to want a ton of retail locations though because of overhead. What they would want is at least a store in most major cities or at least within driving distance of them. Fry's for the most part offers this as they do not have near the number of stores as Best Buy, but they do have stores across the US in some of the bigger locations. A partnership with a company like Best Buy would be bad for the online store. They would end up having to let go more employees and shut down a lot of stores to make the venture a profitable one. Fry's though is the perfect guinea pig, and if ti works then you can always open more locations to much bigger fan fair than when you shut them down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013 edited
    The online price matching was poorly executed from Fry's angle. Many times associates/supervisors/managers try not to match online prices because it's hurting their paychecks. Fry's hasn't given the associates an incentive to treat these customers well. In reality Fry's has invited the customer to look at prices online and many of these customers have seen huge differences. The ones who don't get their item matched end up buying from the competitor nearly 100% of the time. Now this customer has learned to not buy from Fry's ever. Fry's has actually lost a customer instead of gaining one. I would argue that this has happened much more often than the opposite. Because commission is lost due to the price match, the salesman has been Defacto trained to give poor service since they aren't getting paid. So many customers that get the price matched are also upset.  

I understand why commission is reduced because all salesmen would always check internet prices to get sales and increase their commission at Fry's expense. However I don't believe that commission should be eliminated on any IPM sale. This only drives the salesmen to ignore IPM customers. The maximum reduction in commission should be capped at say 75% less. Just enough to keep the salesman not pissed yet enough to prevent abuse.
  9.  permalink
    Isn't it funny how so many people talk shit about Frys? I guarantee 99% of the people who do were worthless trash that had their positions cut or you were simply fired. Yes I am a guest but I've probably worked for the company longer than a majority of you guys. I have no problem working for the company you were probably just one of those moronic/worthless/insubordinate/idiotic/trash associates us management love to get rid of. Get over the fact that you're gone. Go work at best buy I'm sure they'd be more than happy to hire you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013
    Guest: Isn't it funny how so many people talk shit about Frys? I guarantee 99% of the people who do were worthless trash that had their positions cut or you were simply fired. Yes I am a guest but I've probably worked for the company longer than a majority of you guys. I have no problem working for the company you were probably just one of those moronic/worthless/insubordinate/idiotic/trash associates us management love to get rid of. Get over the fact that you're gone. Go work at best buy I'm sure they'd be more than happy to hire you.

Or we could finish school, get a degree, get a better job, and come shop at your store and piss you off with price matches instead of working in it. Ever thought about that? :face-smile:
  10.  permalink
    You could do that...seems like you havn't since you're speaking in future tense. I'd be more than happy to come to your community college graduation with some Frys balloons. Smiley fucking face.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    Guest: You could do that...seems like you havn't since you're speaking in future tense. I'd be more than happy to come to your community college graduation with some Frys balloons. Smiley fucking face.

Yes, I haven't... but will soon. Community college was too many years ago, this is an actual college... but good guess! I also welcome you to show up with Fry's balloons, because entertainment is always a bonus. Meanwhile, enjoy life being employed at Fry's for God knows how long. Sorry fucking face.
  11.  permalink
    Yes, I haven't... but will soon. Community college was too many years ago, this is an actual college... but good guess! I also welcome you to show up with Fry's balloons, because entertainment is always a bonus. Meanwhile, enjoy life being employed at Fry's for God knows how long. Sorry fucking face.

Guest 33722, you were flat out Owned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Guest:I guarantee 99% of the people who do were worthless trash that had their positions cut or you were simply fired.

Really....you GUARANTEE this? Are you sure of this, and can you provide proof you're correct?
  12.  permalink
    Lol Obi you're the only proof I need. You seem to have the most hatrid toward Frys from anyone on this forum so I'm going to assume you got fucked the hardest. Guest 33722 please...you wouldn't know ownage if a 32" coby fell on your face from top stock. Teary smiley fucking face* & r3j3ct feel free to send your graduation invite to my "no fucks will be given" box. Please & thanks
  13.  permalink
    Guest 15882 sorry, got a little trigger happy :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    @guest 48820 - well...that's where you'd be wrong. I didn't work directly for Fry's (I'm a little bit smarter than that). Did work for the risk management company that oversaw their insurance and risk management programs...until we fired them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2013
    ObiWan: Fry's is more going the sway of the dodo bird, rather than a dinosaur. Fry's greed and stupidity will be their downfall. Not sure (and really don't care) where store 7 and 10 are, but the Microcenter in Houston is extremely busy. Decent AND friendly, quality merchandise, no door nazi's. Fry's is dying a slow, painful death, and some of us will be glad to see their blight on the landscape gone.

Store 10 = Anaheim, CA  

Store 7 = Fountain Valley, CA  

But the writing on the wall does say Fry's is going down. I don't care about the whole "No lay-off" means they are trying to "care" about their employees. They don't need to layoff people because people will quit on their own accord and save them money in the process. Fry's is not built to last in its current form and I don't see them evolving to succeed. They are not going to succeed with these huge superwarehouse eletronics store layout and they are not doing anything to address that, like maybe building a new smaller footprinted store layout. Personally, I don't want them to go because otherwise I'm stuck with Best Buy which is no where close to what you can find in a Fry's and Microcenter is too far out of the way for me to go. I do like to buy my items in brick and mortar stores even though I am comfortable buying online. But I'm in a shrinking minority. Fry's is not going to be around because they are going to be serving fewer and fewer customers while retailing in buildings that will cost more to operate than what they bring in.  

It won't be long until Store 10 becomes another extension to the Kaiser Hospital next door or industrial space and Store 7 becomes some furniture manufactoring store.  

But the writing has been on the wall since they started jacking with the way they paid the sales teams. I'm glad I left when I did right before that. The returns is just further restructuring that will give Fry's their next round of voluntary layoffs as people quit as they look for better jobs or quit because they cannot handle it in sales.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3660
    Nobody is going to call it out?

I have been working at Fry's since ~ 2008. From the day that I started I have heard "Fry's is going out of business." Look at this thread as evidence: the original poster created this nearly three years ago!

Fry's cheap and awful ways will help them carry on and stay in business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    Guest: Nobody is going to call it out?  

I have been working at Fry's since ~ 2008. From the day that I started I have heard "Fry's is going out of business." Look at this thread as evidence: the original poster created this nearly three years ago!  

Fry's cheap and awful ways will help them carry on and stay in business.

That will only last so long.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2013
    Guest: Lol Obi you're the only proof I need. You seem to have the most hatrid toward Frys from anyone on this forum so I'm going to assume you got fucked the hardest. Guest 33722 please...you wouldn't know ownage if a 32" coby fell on your face from top stock. Teary smiley fucking face* & r3j3ct feel free to send your graduation invite to my "no fucks will be given" box. Please & thanks

All I can judge you on is your grammar. You appear juvenile and uneducated. You're faith in Fry's is misplaced. You do not win this internet argument.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2013
    Sasquatch:
    Guest: Lol Obi you're the only proof I need. You seem to have the most hatrid toward Frys from anyone on this forum so I'm going to assume you got fucked the hardest. Guest 33722 please...you wouldn't know ownage if a 32" coby fell on your face from top stock. Teary smiley fucking face* & r3j3ct feel free to send your graduation invite to my "no fucks will be given" box. Please & thanks

All I can judge you on is your grammar. You appear juvenile and uneducated. You're faith in Fry's is misplaced. You do not win this internet argument.

Like I've already mentioned... Fry's for life. Whereas even the average person will move on eventually and find a better job. No arguments started in the first place :face-angel:
  14.  permalink
    I was actually one of the most respected people in my department especially by the supervisors since they could rely on me to do the task I was giving and not half ass it.

When our department finally saw a shakeup in management they had myself and another guy interview for the 1 open MT spot. The ended up moving the other MT out of the department to promote both of us. Two months later they cut MT pay down to minimum wage + commission while still expecting you to be the MT. Since MT's at least in my department had to double as supervisors half the time this ended up being a drastic loss income. A few months after that the Supervisors pay got cut as well. I left on my own free will shortly after that. There was just no incentive to stay anymore.

I couldn't stop asking myself everyday why was I working for a company still that decided to no longer pay my position and just cut the pay of the position I was working toward? On top of the fact that numbers were not reflecting an up swing in profits to suggest happier days to come. It was a no brainer to look for another job. I love working there pre-changes, but once the salary cuts hit and they started implementing things like price matching and cutting hourly jobs it got miserable. Best Buy nailed it with this line " Fry's hasn't given the associates an incentive to treat their customers well" They have spent the last few years training their staff and making changes to force their staff to only see the value of a customer in $$$ signs. Customers are not stupid either they can tell this and have started to shop elsewhere.
  15.  permalink
    How does MIcroCenter compensate their sales staff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2013
    sbr: If all you smart people knew anything, and knew how businesses are ran, you would know that Fry's is cutting costs as much as possible to try to make the most in the shortest amount of time that they can. They could care less what you employees think and or feel. I give it one year, and Fry's will be crumbling from the inside out.  

You can't run a store when everybody is mistreated and looking for a new job, and not paying your associates well enough. Enough said.

lol what a dipsh!t. 3 years later and Fry's is still hanging in there. They may not be in the best of shape but they don't seem ready to go out of business just yet.
  16.  permalink
    We match Internet prices!!!

But don't offer free wifi for you to look up any prices!!!

Owned.
  17.  permalink
    Guest: We match Internet prices!!!  

But don't offer free wifi for you to look up any prices!!!  

Owned.
    Certainly most Fry's customers would have smartphones with 3 or 4G data plans by now. Honestly, though, Fry's internet connection couldn't handle wifi for customers. It could BARELY handle the store's business and associates checking stuff on Frys.com. It was faster to look something up for a customer on my phone using 3G than to struggle with the 1990s dialup speeds and ancient computers on the sales floor. Oh, and trying to read text on a blurry 15" CRT. It was like browsing the web in 1997 again (which makes sense cause Frys.com looks like a half-assed late '90s ecommerce site.)  

I think they were running the whole store off of one cheap residential DSL connection. It certainly felt like it.
  18.  permalink
    Fry's is a piece of shit for how they treat their employees. They'll be dying soon, especially after they lose the class-action lawsuit.

Wanna see how their employees are REALLY treated?

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1c94f0/starcraft_ii_heart_of_the_swarm_2999_10_off/c9eh68j
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    Guest: Fry's is a piece of shit for how they treat their employees. They'll be dying soon, especially after they lose the class-action lawsuit.  

Wanna see how their employees are REALLY treated?  

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1c94f0/starcraft_ii_heart_of_the_swarm_2999_10_off/c9eh68j

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand most of the stated "facts" are false. Either they never actually worked at Fry's or were one of the low life scums who got fired for misconduct etc.
  19.  permalink
    r3j3ct (apt name) is the new "cheerleader" for Frys. The one he replaces can be found about midway on this page....he also had no life other than Frys and defending it daily with every breath. My guess is he either found a real job, or was one of the "low life scum" who got fired? Be cause he has obviously seen the light. finally.

Yes, Frys going out of business rumors have been floating for years, and their decent has been a slow one. Maybe not tomorrow, or even next year....but Frys IS on the way out. You cannot compete with today's competition using a 1980's strategy.
    All one has to do is look around to see the end creeping up. Empty shelves (half of what is left, banded and tagged as a return), four page weekend ads reduced to two, and half empty parking lots (even on weekends).
    No poster here has "owned" Frys....that privilege belongs squarely with Amazon and Newegg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014
    Guest: r3j3ct (apt name) is the new "cheerleader" for Frys. The one he replaces can be found about midway on this page....he also had no life other than Frys and defending it daily with every breath. My guess is he either found a real job, or was one of the "low life scum" who got fired? Be cause he has obviously seen the light. finally.  

Yes, Frys going out of business rumors have been floating for years, and their decent has been a slow one. Maybe not tomorrow, or even next year....but Frys IS on the way out. You cannot compete with today's competition using a 1980's strategy.  
    All one has to do is look around to see the end creeping up. Empty shelves (half of what is left, banded and tagged as a return), four page weekend ads reduced to two, and half empty parking lots (even on weekends).  
    No poster here has "owned" Frys....that privilege belongs squarely with Amazon and Newegg.

Necro much? Little slow there aren't you? You got some catching up to do, keep running!
  20.  permalink
    For the one's that wholeheartedly believe that Fry's - in the near future or even next year - will go under and "crumble" or "go bankrupt" obviously doesn't ever pay attention to the spreadsheets that the manager's and supervisor's go through on a daily basis. As a salesman, I can sell 10 routers in a day and make $100 (on a decent day) and that made the store $200-300 depending on the router. That's just routers; not to mention services, PSC's, which are actually inexpensive in some cases (and if you know how to get under the PIC/MIC's skin as a customer you can actually get any item replaced for any reason or get the upgraded device), their "sales" in their AD's about 75% of the time are just ON AD and actually not ON SALE - though people are stupid enough to believe a piece of paper (or as we're doing it now through Fry's.com/deals) - can still make Fry's LOADS of money. Just take off the .99 on the item and people think they save money. With that being said: the way the tier system works is that as long as an item is above 30 points of margin it pays 'green tier' level comm. that .99 off the retail price can take an item from 30 points "paying" to 29 points "paying jack" (in most cases half comm).  
    Fry's Services are amazingly over priced and I'm astounded every time how many people will come and drop $200 on maintenance for their PC or even get a delivery on a TV because they didn't account for their motorcycle's small backseat. Fry's isn't in the market to help their employee - maybe at a time when I didnt work here - because they will slash commission first before they lose money on the item itself. $5 off a $129 router for instance, which pays $14, will then pay me $6-7 (a mathematician would cry at this kind of logic).  

Now I'm just talking in a sense of my location and department, but I don't feel that too many other stores are different, and hopefully not worse.  
    If Fry's does begin to lose so many customers that people go elsewhere or online then it is because of their most recent inceptions. The lack of a dedicated returns person and the newly operative Call Center (the biggest pile of trash on planet Earth) will lead to their demise. Iv'e lost entire sales, customers, upsales, and even instant exchanges done wrong because of the ineptitude of cashiers. Cashiers just don't give a fuck about anybody or anything probably because they have the worst job (and are also mostly brain dead kids...or old people barely able to walk) some are okay, but they carry and cause the brunt of the drama around my store.  

The cafe alone generates a lot of money...as long as my fatass is working there and too lazy to get in my car and drive anywhere during my lunch breaks, with others like myself sharing the same mentality, the cafe could solely drive my district alone.  

As long as Fry's has its abundance of employees it has a mean of making money. They make money through screwing us first, bait and switch and AD price tactics, as well as the stupidity and ignorance of their wonderful customers.  

Don't forget the price match! It was always a method of hurting salesman. Also POTO's and ADTO's are what seem to be a business tactic to avoid certain federal taxes. The recent fluctuation from 200 items on list to in many cases 1200 to 2500 items to move is to avoid a tax law at the end of the year, and to avoid suspicion and auditing they implement this policy all year round. This is just speculation from fellow employees because why else would I send an item to a store one week just so they can send me the same one back. In receiving, on more than one ocassion, as they send out transfers we get a shipment from another store with a lot of the very same item. Transfers are busy work and a distraction to keep me from writing up a lot of sales that I don't see. If a customer can come in ready to choose or give up and choose out of frustration - because I'm busy in the back pulling absurd amounts of merchandise - that's money that Fry's makes on a purchase that didn't pay me. Same with in store pick ups. Some cashiers will actually ask me if it pays me and I'll say "Why yes, fine sir. Indeed it does. My I perhaps write a ticket up on this item I helped this customer find...GRAND walks this way to the terminal!!" I actually wouldn't mind doing in store pickups for my department. Give the Cashiers less of a burden and give me a few extra sales...BUT!! Like I said that would pay me and that's not Frys' game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    I forget the name of the report that prints on a very long sheet (A3 or A4 paper, not letter) which shows the spread dollar. Look at the spread dollar! There are two types of spread dollars. The one your store manager looks at and the one you should be looking at if evaluating the store's performance is spread 2. Spread 1 is what the department managers and lower-management look at when doing their BYB booklets but it accounts for very little loss.  

Your store makes sales and it could be a very large number compared to local stores; however, this is not all profit. We know that profit should be in the GP% but is this money the store gets to take away? No. There expenses to the store alone and we are not even considering other operational costs such as having a RTV center (82), SST (86), and even home office employees who are not directly making direct revenue for the store. Spread 2 does not include contributions such as electricity and other building expenses.  

Numbers alone would make the store appear to be in bad condition. I do believe that there are other forms of incomes that are not reported to in store employees as you mentioned... Fry's has a way to "loophole" structural policies such as tax or what is truly considered GP%. I wouldn't even be surprised they donated money into their own nonprofit organizations to hide their profits and to even report losses (aren't they "technically" owned by another company?)... Accounting-wise they are genius to hide this money... otherwise things like the Sabercats and their private jet would not make sense. Another economic strength of Fry's is that they are incredibly sleazy.  

I think they will be around for a longer time than we expect even if business seems slower.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  21.  permalink
    Time to necro the thread, now that the topic is more relevant than ever.
  22.  permalink
    It appears that Fry's has been going out of business for ~10 years now. Well into 2014 Fry's looked reasonably viable, but now closing the chain looks like a reality. To be fair though over that time the quality of the selection went downhill little by little. Some of the selection they genuinely should have dropped. e.g. how many different USB hubs do you really need? What is funny is I am pretty sure that the guest talking about Microcenter was me being too lazy to login. What is funny is that Microcenter is still doing ok. If anything I think it may be in better shape as they made many of the aisle taller to get more selection crammed into the store. Meanwhile FV Fry's looks dead.