Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010
    If all you smart people knew anything, and knew how businesses are ran, you would know that Fry's is cutting costs as much as possible to try to make the most in the shortest amount of time that they can. They could care less what you employees think and or feel. I give it one year, and Fry's will be crumbling from the inside out.  

You can't run a store when everybody is mistreated and looking for a new job, and not paying your associates well enough. Enough said.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Why Best Buy is Going out of Business...Gradually
    Leaks: CompUSA's Going-Out-Of Business Discount List
    Better Business Bureau and Fry's
    Thinking about going back to work at Fry's
    Do you think Frys would do MUCH better if they hired management with a business education?
  2.  permalink
    oh god i love these type of post fry's is nowhere near going out of business you know when that happens which is when they start closing stores down... not by cutting cost and such every company always finds way to cut cost and they are the ones that stay in business
  3.  permalink
    Cutting hourly wage and making everyone work their asses off lying to customers so they'll buy PSCs, Monster Cables, and Wireless installs means that Fry's will be STAYING IN business for a long time to come. If they still paid everyone an hourly wage to shuffle their feet around and avoid customers, taking extended breaks(time fraud, milking the clock...etc..), in this economy? Then yeah ...they'd probably sink really fast. The sad truth is that any successful corporation will only survive at the cost of the people that work for them.
  4.  permalink
    As long as the Fry brothers can make more money in business than out of business Fry's will go rolling along. Count on it.
  5.  permalink
    What he said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010
    While I don't see Fry's going out of business any time soon....I do believe rough times are ahead for Frys, and major changes are inevidable if they wish to remain profitable. NOBODY is getting out of this economy un-scathed.  

The worst that could possibly happen to Fry's is if a big money, apples to apples, competitor showed up in the market....people HATE Frys....but they HAVE to go there from time to time, because some things you need today...and you have to be able to buy it SOMEWHERE....Frys is a techy's life line. But let's say "Joes" opened tomorrow, selling the same stuff at the same price (or even slightly higher)....you'd hear the sound of crickets in every Fry's store.....cause like I said....everybody hates Frys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010
    skullywag: While I don't see Fry's going out of business any time soon....I do believe rough times are ahead for Frys, and major changes are inevidable if they wish to remain profitable. NOBODY is getting out of this economy un-scathed.  

The worst that could possibly happen to Fry's is if a big money, apples to apples, competitor showed up in the market....people HATE Frys....but they HAVE to go there from time to time, because some things you need today...and you have to be able to buy it SOMEWHERE....Frys is a techy's life line. But let's say "Joes" opened tomorrow, selling the same stuff at the same price (or even slightly higher)....you'd hear the sound of crickets in every Fry's store.....cause like I said....everybody hates Frys.

LOL FUNNY!
  6.  permalink
    Don't be a tool. I love Fry's. If I hate anything, it's negative people, like you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited
    Boycott frys.  

Don't purchase from them.  
    Recommend Best Buy, New Egg, Amazon.  
    Tell customers products are sold out.  
    Avoid customers.  
    Act clueless.
  7.  permalink
    asdf do you really exist? or you are one of many avatars from the admins?
  8.  permalink
    User asdf was created by the company Best Buy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010
    Atleast he has a name " guest. "
  9.  permalink
    Fry's is going out of business?!

Sweet mother of...FRY'S IS CRUMBLING FROM THE INSIDE OUT?! ABANDON SHIP! WE ALREADY LOST CIRCUIT CITY, NOW FRY'S?! EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, RUN FOR YOU SWEET LIVES! ITS DOOMSDAY! THE END IS NEAR! FRY'S IS CRUMBLING!!! ITS A PERMANENT TSR! MOPAR CAN'T SAVE US! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
  10.  permalink
    Atleast he has a name " guest. "

What worth does a "name" have when the opinion of such individual is being bombarded to this site by a hand full of people that hate fry's. Like I said before I will not create a user name "avatar" on this site when every time I come in to this site is the same people writing shit about fry's. Nothing else.
  11.  permalink
    Well not only that they are trying to transform the whole store into just commission wages. I mean the whole store. You wonder why you have many employees that give u poor service. You wonder why they keep asking if you need help. You wonder why they try to sell you the non sale item. They don't get paid which is the bottom line. They don't get commission for sale items, price match items, and store pick ups. So they are more than likely not going to help you. However, if you had some help more than likely they are a merchandiser or a cashier. If they were sales they either trying to get paid by hopes of the consumer of buying something else from them. If they are truely nice they are rare. For the majority they all need a new job. I would not recommend staying with the company. I encourage for start to work, but as soon as u start working for fry's start looking for another job.
  12.  permalink
    Oh, yeah. Getting shit on for little money is a GREAT way to start your working career.
    Standing around with your hands in your pockets is also a great way to build a work ethic.
  13.  permalink
    I hate the shopping experience at Fry's. Computer sales people are way too pushy and when I do buy something they seem to only care until they print out that piece of paper. Then if I need ram I have to go through the same thing? Being from the Mid-Atlantic where there isn't a Fry's, I must say it felt like I was shopping at multiple small stores in a large alien themed amusement park. I get people needing the speciality items and that's apparently what they are know for but seriously if a competitor opened up that understood the meaning of "Shopping Experience" and "Customer Service," then Fry's would be dead in the water.
  14.  permalink
    Actually Fry's stays filthy rich by screwing everybody over even though there's no reason for it. Fry's cuts costs, mainly labor costs, which boils down to paying people less. On top of that they're even known to be the worst retailer to deal with as far as wholesale goes. Fry's has almost lost the privilege to sell Apple several times because of their super greedy policies. Fry's cuts costs before recessions, after recessions, during, and forever until everybody there is actually bound by chains.
  15.  permalink
    asdf is a former sales associate at store 24
  16.  permalink
    Sorry to ruin your hopes but Fry's is not even close to going under,Profit margins are drastically down due to the downed economy.But Fry's is still going to be able to run their operations for the foreseeable future.Fry's has a very long history of mistreating their employee's.This is nothing new,Its been going on since they started business on a larger scale in the early 90's.Fry's has no concern of being loyal to their employee's.Even store managers are vulnerable to being fired at any time,Job security,Loyalty, Compassion, And respect is not in Randy Fry's Vocabulary.Every single employee in every store is expendable to them.The only way people can make a change is by continuing to rally former and current employee's together and file civil suits for many labor law violations,Mistreatment,Unlawful termination and so forth.The place has had its fair share of quality employee's that were treated lower then dirt.Fry's has lost a lot of talented people due to their abusive treatment of associates.Instead they replace them with incompetent,mindless fools.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011
    Guest: The only way people can make a change is by continuing to rally former and current employee's together and file civil suits for many labor law violations,Mistreatment,Unlawful termination and so forth.The place has had its fair share of quality employee's that were treated lower then dirt.

Double dittos on what 18549 said. Having just cashed a nice five-figure check from a class action suit that a former employer settled out of court on, if enough current/former Fry's employees got together, pooled the information/documentation, etc. together, it would be easy to old Fry's accountable. But...I'm not sure that anyone has the cajones to do that. Most are afraid of Kathy Kolder's bark. Don't be.
  17.  permalink
    I wonder how long Fry's can stay afloat. Visited three stores this weekend:

Store #7 Fountain Valley - Parking lot is usually full but the lot looks like a weekday parking lot. Two people were in line on a Sunday afternoon when I walked inside. Computer dept quiet. Saw some price matching going on today... a customer was allowed to look up prices on an item for a price chop.

Store #10 Anaheim - This place is almost always fairly empty, but on weekends there are usually more people. If there was going to be a store closing, this one might be the first. Not a great location, but it does have a newly opened hospital and the usual freeway visibility. Saw another price match happening, this time an employee was going the lookup.

Store #28 City of Industry - Usually this place is ultra crowded on weekends, but it's not as crowded now. If there was going to be one remaining Fry's out of the 3, this one would probably be it.
  18.  permalink
    Fry's has good sales I admit, but the customer service at the Manhattan Beach location just plain sucks ass MOST of the associates are lazy, they tend to ignore you, they make stupid lewd jokes among themselves with customers hearing every word, and the list goes on and on. I hope fry's won't go out of business, but I hope they do something about their crappy management.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2695
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011
    I love fry's electronics. They are no way near going out of business. The one where I live is always packed. They have the best prices on electronics. Fry's is the best store around period!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited
    Guest: I love fry's electronics. They are no way near going out of business. The one where I live is always packed. They have the best prices on electronics. Fry's is the best store around period!

You drank the Fry's KoolAid, didn't you?
  19.  permalink
    ObiWan:
    Guest: I love fry's electronics. They are no way near going out of business. The one where I live is always packed. They have the best prices on electronics. Fry's is the best store around period!

You drank the Fry's KoolAid, didn't you?

He/she drinks as much Fry's Koolaid as you do Fry's Haterade. That all aside, Fry's is no where going under. Matter of fact, new store opening on the outskirts of Las Vegas. Store 51. Although there has been a lot of changes to make up for the low economy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    Fry's Haterade - that's cute.  

If my comments and views of Fry's based on fact, does that make make it "hate speech"? "Just the facts, ma'am...
    •  
      CommentAuthor( @ >.< )=@
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited
    ObiWan: Fry's Haterade - that's cute.  

If my comments and views of Fry's based on fact, does that make make it "hate speech"? "Just the facts, ma'am...

I think what you're trying to say is:  

If my comments and views of Fry's are based off of my negative experiences, does that make my opinion a "hate speech"? It's just my experience, sir...  

So flip that around for the other poster:  

If my comments and views of Fry's are based off of my positive experiences, does that make me a "kool-aid" drinking sheep? It's just my experience, Tyrannosaurus Rex...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch

Don't act like you aren't the biggest troll here, Obi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    ( @ >.< )=@:

If my comments and views of Fry's are based off of my negative experiences, does that make my opinion a "hate speech"? It's just my experience, sir...  

If my comments and views of Fry's are based off of my positive experiences, does that make me a "kool-aid" drinking sheep? It's just my experience, Tyrannosaurus Rex...

Well said. Personally, I take mine mixed, on the rocks. Tastes kinda bad.
  20.  permalink
    there are cut backs across the board for the fry empire, but i don't see it crumbling anytime soon. the biggest blow to them would be a mass exodus from the management department, which is not so far fetched considering the way they are being treated lately.
  21.  permalink
    Sasquatch:
    ( @ >.< )=@:

I can't stop staring at that Sasquatch avatar pic of yours. Reminds me of the Sasquatch from Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, except more lifelike :face-devil-grin:.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    ( @ >.< )=@:
    Sasquatch:
    ( @ >.< )=@:

I can't stop staring at that Sasquatch avatar pic of yours. Reminds me of the Sasquatch from Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, except more lifelike :face-devil-grin:.

It was hard to find an avatar as awesome as I am, but I think I came through ok. I, too, have a strong distaste for Reese's cups filled with mashed potatoes instead of peanut butter. Actually, I've never had one, but I imagine my reaction would be quite similar.
  22.  permalink
    Sasquatch:
    ( @ >.< )=@:
    Sasquatch:
    ( @ >.< )=@:

It was hard to find an avatar as awesome as I am, but I think I came through ok. I, too, have a strong distaste for Reese's cups filled with mashed potatoes instead of peanut butter. Actually, I've never had one, but I imagine my reaction would be quite similar.

Oh, is that what that is in his mouth? I thought it was an ice cream sandwich :).
  23.  permalink
    ( @ >.< )=@:
    Sasquatch:
    ( @ >.< )=@:
    Sasquatch:
    ( @ >.< )=@:

Oh, is that what that is in his mouth? I thought it was an ice cream sandwich :).

now THAT's what it was
  24.  permalink
    Well, Fry's is still around! If only it were this busy year-round instead of just during the holidays...  

Lots of rumors when hours were cut and wages were cut... but it seems like for those that stuck around, things got better? How long do you think it will last? I don't mind the new store hours... But for those whose wages were affected... the pay for those positions are always in flux anyway. If you're full commission... then you're used to being a pit bull in a dog fight, no matter what dept you work in. Things like hours and wages really don't matter. Only that you keep winning the fights. Gladiators, all! Your reward may not be consistent, but food in your belly and drink after the battle... and the occasional wench's bed... whether she works at Fry's or not... that's the life, eh!!?? And Caesar smiles when you're victorious! And, easily finds one to replace you when you're not. Or some football player will kick you in the gut and maybe feed you to the other dogs if you're too weak. Whether you're a fighter or fodder, there's a place for you at Fry's. We need you.
  25.  permalink
    FYI,Frys is going out of business, the store in Sacramento, CA is going to close out. how I know, My husband works there and he is going to be jobless. Time for unemployment. He told me that Frys suck that's why they going to close down. Everyone who hated Frys, now it's the time to clap your hand as loud as you can, but I am not going to joy you all because it leaves my husband jobless now. You know how hard it is to look for another job at this suck ass economy. Well no more shopping at Frys.
  26.  permalink
    Guest 46097 you know little about the store your husband works for. The store is more profitable than it has been in a long time and its due to eliminating positions that we can do without. It is being run more efficiently. Unfortunately you, like most that post on this site, do not know how to run a business and choose to lash out with incorrect statements based upon feelings or assumptions. Are reductions happening? Yes, even in receiving, the company is doing more with less. Businesses across the country are doing what they can to survive. Frys is no different in this aspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013
    @Guest 63098 - It's been documented outside of this forum that Fry's has financial problems. They're extremely late in paying vendors. They've recently lost one employment practices case, and have other employment related legal actions pending. Add into that LOTS of empty shelves. These aren't signs that Fry's is financially strong - just the opposite.
  27.  permalink
    @obiwan - yet you don't see the internal numbers of profit. Regarding the empty shelves, each store used to carry more inventory, that's true, now we carry less. I could explain about product turns and the length of time for an items inventory to sell through before it needs to be replenished but it'd be a waste of time. Is Frys struggling? A bit, sure, then again so is radio shack, best buy, (they have a LOT of inner turmoil), hhgregg, etc. Yet Frys is adapting to survive. Returns associates have been way overpaid for way too long anyways. Receiving work can be done with less people than in the past due to better systems. So, in addressing the title of this thread, No, Frys is not going ou of business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    Oh, Yes they are... All the Signs are there. How many more Multi-Million Dollar Lawsuits do you think the Insurance companies will continue to pay? Their costs must be enormous, along with continuing to keep part timers on pay-roll for 6 hours a week, paying Workman's Comp on them, just because they did not want to lay them off and pay unemployment insurance. Don't take me wrong, Fry's WAS a Great company to work for 15 years ago. You would beg and plead to work there. You were among the Very Best Trained, Knowledgeable, and they would Never give you a second look for employment, unless you had Great Customer Service Skills. ( Even though the Archaic System, still today on POS made that difficult at best ). If your customer was paying by check, you would walk them to the Register and basically hold their hand through out the entire 45 minute interrogation as to waiting for their check to clear with a Page full of questions, as they begin to boil.... Now that was Customer Service....
  28.  permalink
    Guest: Receiving work can be done with less people than in the past due to better systems less product cause we don't pay vendors anymore.

Fixed that for you.
  29.  permalink
    Not likely...... Frys is one of the only big companies in the whole country to not close one retail location or make any layoffs since the economy was in the s-hole. A lot of companies resort to layoffs while Frys is doing all that they can to help us stay employed. Frys is not perfect, no company is. If you're unhappy at Frys, then why are you torturing yourself? There's nothing worse than getting paid to do a job that you not enjoy. This is with all due respect of course. Improve your quality of life, be happy!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    I am going to REPOST the Response I had for You as a new topic....
  30.  permalink
    Frys is a S*** hole and always will be. You talk about layoffs what do you think eliminating positions are, it's a loop whole to force people to quit or fire them. The company is operated on who you know and who you **. They have very stupid people running the stores which is part of the reason for it's failure. A lot of them should never be, been put, nor are qualified to run those stores. And you talk about running a business what good business practice is it to pay all that rent, overhead, utilities, etc if you have all that wasted space. The buildings are to big for them not being as strong as they once were. That's a waste of money alone. Also poor business practice is not properly training it's employees which just makes that place a place to go to and see what's out and purchase it online. There is no confidence in their service department who are not properly trained as well. Even upper management that is smart would agree it's all jacked up. Unfortunatly they have to much time vested with a place that wasted their time. Just quit and try to find something else there are jobs out there don't be scared to look or let them blind fold you. You will be much happier.
  31.  permalink
    Not putting stock on the shelf due to demand is one thing, but being a few months behind on your payments to the vendors is another.

The cost cutting changes are actually making the store less efficient by the way. You're cutting out positions but not cutting out their work. This means more work is getting put onto another position in the company. A position that I'm sure is not going to see a pay raise for the extra work. In fact those positions have probably had their pay cut in the last 3 years.

Is Fry's doing what it feels it has to for it's survival? Sure, They have no choice but to change with the market

Are the changes the best they could be making? That's highly debatable and part of the reason these forums exist.

Do increased profits mean the changes are working? From a numbers stand point sure, but in the larger scheme of things no. The numbers are up because of the paycuts, fewer employees, changes to commission, and less stock in the store. The numbers look better but in reality your margin is way below what it was 5+ years ago. The changes are not increasing the money the store is bringing in. The changes are just helping the stores to stay out of the red as much as possible. This plan is very counter active though. All Fry's is doing right now is continuing to shrink with the market for as long as they can. They seem to be doing very little to try and reverse the trend and actually grow the market back up to the numbers they were at 5+ years ago.
  32.  permalink
    Guest 14763, I don't think Fry's can grow the market back. And not just just because of "the economy" either. Going forward, the only Fry's (or Best Buy) customers are going to be: 1) old people who are scared to shop on the internet and need hand-holding, 2) the impulse buy/need to have it today people, and 3) the "showroomers" who will look at stuff in the store, ask the sales staff a lot of questions, and then buy it on Amazon/Newegg. Everyone else has gone online. The old people are a declining demographic, and the impulse buy/need it today crowd is too small to run a store the size of Fry's off of. Fry's is trying to convert the "showroomers" by offering online price matching, but even Fry's management admits this is a losing proposition in the long run. Fry's literally cannot profitably meet the online price for most items, the overhead is just too high. The Fry's brothers aren't stupid; they know this well, so they are squeezing the last few dollars out of Fry's before the gravy train derails.  

Circuit city was really the canary in the coal mine for electronics retail. Again, I think "the economy" is a poor excuse here. No other stores I know of are laying people off, cutting pay, and have bare shelves.
  33.  permalink
    Hey Chris, I'm not saying it's possible they could grow their market back. I am saying though that they are not even really trying. All the changes being made are just making it worst and worst. They are more content to let themselves die out slowly than go down in a blaze of glory trying something with risk involved. Fry's management see's the writing on the wall, and they are just content with it. It's funny that someone comes on here trying to say other wise.
  34.  permalink
    Meanwhile, about 15 min away from Store 7 and Store 10, Microcenter seems to be thriving with it's smaller store foot print, competitive pricing, and better service. Their demographics aren't all old people who are fearful of the Internet either.

Back in the day, Fry's was always packed when Microcenter merely picked up the spillovers. Sad to see Fry's going by way of the dinosaur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    Fry's is more going the sway of the dodo bird, rather than a dinosaur. Fry's greed and stupidity will be their downfall. Not sure (and really don't care) where store 7 and 10 are, but the Microcenter in Houston is extremely busy. Decent AND friendly, quality merchandise, no door nazi's. Fry's is dying a slow, painful death, and some of us will be glad to see their blight on the landscape gone.